IU-UMass game set for 3:30 p.m.

From IU Sports info:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana football team will face Massachusetts on Sept. 8 at 3:30 p.m. ET. ESPN3 willtelevise the game, which will be played at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.

This will be the first meeting between the two programs.

IU now has seven game times set. The Hoosiers will host Indiana State (Sept. 1), Ball State (Sept. 15) and Ohio State (Oct. 13) at 8 p.m. ET on BTN.

Indiana will welcome Michigan State for Homecoming on Oct. 6 and will travel to Illinois on Oct. 27. Both kickoffs are set for noon ET.

The Hoosiers Oct. 20 road contest at Navy will start at 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS Sports Network.

• Podunker says:

IU must win this game!

This reminds me of the time, many years ago, when IU played UConn the year before UConn became a DI team. I believe IU lost that game in Bloomington. I believe it was the first game Bill Lynch had to take over because Hep was sick (I could be way off on that).

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Right on both counts PO.

• Jay Gregg says:

Actually, the game was at UConn in 2003. I believe that UConn had been D1 for two years. I believe the coach was DiNardo.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

JG you are right about the 2003 UConn game. But what PO was relating too was the home game against UConn in 2006 which IU lost 14-7.

• Jay Gregg says:

Sorry about that. I do agree that IU needs to win this game. I don’t predict a bowl game but I feel there are going to be some surprised fans this year.

• iufan23 says:

This should be an exciting game…the teams look to be quite evenly matched. I hope we prevail but away games are always challenging and UMass has a lot to prove. Go Hoosiers.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Po and JG,

I concur with “surprised” being the key word this Fall. I also keep in the back of my mind the words Coach Wilson used in face to face conversations during each of the recent Tailgate Tours “we have a lot of work to do”. I think he is optimistic about improvement but damn realistic about bowl bid possibilities. I personally believe even though the QB situation is somewhat fluid again this year it is fluid because of competition with much better talent(thanks to Coach Littrell)and I believe that fact alone adds 2 more wins. If the D and ST’s(in hopes of thanking Coach Fabris)can add 2 more, now that would be improvement. Can’t wait.

• Aruss says:

Wilson needs 6 wins to keep his job.

• Yeah, I promise he doesn’t.

• Matter of opinion as to whether or not he should, but I can say with absolute certainty that if IU goes 4-8 Wilson will not be fired on the basis of performance.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

…INDUBITABLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Dustin,

ON the web site Eleven Warriors.com is a tremendous article written by Ramzy Nasallah titled B1GGIE and PAC Against the World, dated 6/5/2k12. It is mind expanding facts from an articulate author.

Enjoy,
    HC

• Hoosier Clarion says:

JG,

Near every FB HC IU has hired knew the situation and what had to change. I think Coach Wilson is the only 1 hired that has in less than 1 year figured out how to do it and has the AD’s support to get it down. He is a quick study and has the ability to adapt w/o his ego getting in the way.

The video from Nicks is infectious.

• Podunker says:

Aruss, your post #8 qualifies you as a candidate for the dumbest post of the month.

If IU goes 1-11 again in 2012, Wlson will be back for 2013. That’s probably not going to happen, but even if it did, IU won’t fire the new coach after two years.

Think it through, man.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Ya, Aruss, I agree with Po what is with you?

• Waitingforwins says:

Aruss
    Friday, June 8, 2012 – 11:48 AM EDT

Wilson needs 6 wins to keep his job.

————————————————————
    Yeah, in 2014, not this season.

• Aruss says:

I must have read that from Ryan before he left. My bd.

• KevinK says:

Surprised?

I got surprised last year.

Mark me down skeptical. We’ll see.

• davis says:

If IU goes 1-11 or 3-8 for the next couple of years, then no doubt he should be canned (my opinion, DD), but the dollars and sense (pun intended) of a buyout of his contract won’t allow it.

Someone else had posted on an earlier thread to lament that we would not be playing Minn. soon. Not so, the Gophers are in Bloomington in 2013 and we go there in 2014. Good chance to compare IU’s decision to hire a guy from a big-time progran with no head coaching experience cf. Minn.’s decision to hire a very successful head coach with MAC-type experience.

• Chet says:

You know, Bill Lynch had head coaching experience. It was horrific but it was head coaching experience. As often as not, the guys that make the big program turn arounds are the big time assistants that are given the big chance (Alvarez for example).

We took a guy that was a terrible MAC coach and expected miracles. Our bad, not his.

Let’s wait and see. I like what I’m seeing. It’s different than what we’ve been being fed. There’s a no bull$hit attitude of toughness that’s been missing.

Maybe this time.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Great post Jay regg. Thanks!! What a great quote from coach Wilson!! And, not many are going to say what he said about 1-11. Sometimes it begins with that attitude. Thanks again.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Sorry…hit he key badly Jay Gregg.

• Podunker says:

davis; you need to think it through. IU was near the bottom of the barrel when Wilson took over the football team. He had to flush a bunch of players from the old culture. He has to recruit a bunch of players that are bigger, faster, and stronger. Then he has to coach those new players up while allowing their bodies to mature. This takes time. It takes years.

Look how long it took Crean to turn IU’s decimated BB program around, and IU is a BB “mecca.”

Wilson got a 7 year contract. IU is not going to fire him for a 3-8 season after the second or third year, as long as their are signs of improvement. They won’t do it because it would set the program back and because they won’t want to pay the buyout, which I believe would be a couple million bucks.

• Chet says:

Barring a series of one win seasons Wilson is bulletproof for at least 5 years.

As he should be.

When people are hired to fix a gawdawful mess caused by their predecessor you’d better be prepared to be patient.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

• 123:

V- I agree ZD has the talent to play the slot and I don't remember him [...]

• t:

Good time to take more aggressive approach and elevate interest in Ind [...]

• vesuvius13:

HC, Zanders talent isn't so much that he is faster than other players [...]

• vesuvius13:

IU coaches are always looking for players that can contribute to the s [...]

• Hoosier Clarion: