NWI Times reporting Randle-El will retire

The Times of Northwest Indiana is reporting that former Indiana quarterback Antwaan Randle-El will announce his retirement on July 14 at his skills training academy at Thornton High School in Harvey, Ill., his alma mater. The Times said it was informed of Randle-El’s retirment through an e-mail from his brother, Curtis Randle-El.

Randle-El was the Big Ten’s Offensive Player of the Year at Indiana in 2001 and played nine seasons in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins.

• Podunker #1

Friday, July 6, 2012 - 7:48 PM EDT

Congratulations on a great career Antwaan. In my opinion, at the time you graduated, you were the most gifted and versatile college football player to have played in the Big Ten. You proved that by going on and having great success in the NFL. You will always be remembered by the Hoosier Nation.

• Mike P. #2

Friday, July 6, 2012 - 8:19 PM EDT

One of the best Hoosier football players of all time, he always represented himself, Indiana University and his teams with the utmost class.

• davis #3

Friday, July 6, 2012 - 9:02 PM EDT

And let’s not forget that Antwaan is the only wide receiver in history to ever throw a TD pass (to Hines Ward) in a Super Bowl (XL v. Seattle, 2006).

• byrd #4

Friday, July 6, 2012 - 9:56 PM EDT

Enjoyed watching him my years at I.U.
    I remember when he was carried off the field after the bucket game.
    Also passing for seven thousand and rushing for over three thousand.. one of the great IU players of all-time

• Hoosier Clarion #5

Saturday, July 7, 2012 - 7:56 AM EDT

If he has eligibility left the least we could have him do is return kicks for us this year. If he had played at Nebraska and Couch at IU, Couch would not have been in New York for the Heisman presentation.

• Podunker #6

Saturday, July 7, 2012 - 3:07 PM EDT

If Randle-El would have played for a head coach that could spell “defense,” he’d have won the Heisman Trophy.

I remember watching the IU – NC Sate game on TV, when Randle-El lined up at receiver. I was screaming at IU’s coach through the TV. That was one of the worst coaching decisions I’ve ever witnessed. After that disastrous experiment, I knew it was time for IU to get another football coach.

• davis #7

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 11:50 PM EDT

byrd- you understate. Considering Antwaan’s supporting cast, he was one of the best college players ever. Po, as I recall, the whole “Randle El as wide receiver” experimant lasted for a couple of games early in his last season as a bid to get him the Heisman.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football