247Sports.com: Indiana gets 10th commitment for Class of 2013

24 comments by   |   Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 8:42 pm EDT

Zach Osterman of 247Sports.com is reporting that Indiana has received a commitment from Jordan Heiderman, a defensive tackle from Iowa Western Community College. More to come.

UPDATE: Jordan Heiderman, a 6-foot-3, 280-pound defensive tackle from Iowa Western Community College, confirmed Tuesday night that he has committed to Indiana.

Indiana gave Heiderman his only Football Bowl Subdivision offer, but he also had interest from Iowa, Iowa State and Western Kentucky.

“They were the first ones to look at me,” Heiderman said. “Then I took my visit in the summer. I loved the facilities and I loved the coaches. It was a great fit for me.”

Heiderman was lightly recruited out of Norfolk High School in Hoskins, Neb., because he was playing defensive end at the time and weighed just 215 pounds. He had some Division II offers, but none of those were overly attractive to him and he apparently wasn’t academically qualified either.

“I thought I was a qualifier,” Heiderman said. “It turned out I wasn’t.”

The time at Iowa Western allowed him to bulk up. Heiderman had wrestled in high school and he even wrestled in his first year at Iowa Western. That had always kept him from putting on weight, so when he finally quit, the change in metabolism allowed him to bulk up quickly.

“Once wrestling was done and I was done working out, my eating habits were still the same, so I shot up in weight,” Heiderman said.

Iowa Western put him inside, but he remained quick. Last season, he posted 42 tackles, including 6.5 for loss and 3.0 sacks from the defensive tackle position. The Hoosiers will need some help there next season with the graduation of seniors Adam Replogle, Larry Black Jr. and Nicholas Sliger, so he should be able to help immediately.

“I have good hands,” Heiderman said. “I understand leverage. I think I really get after it. I try to be a leader for most people and push myself.”

Heiderman is Indiana’s 10th commitment for the Class of 2013. He will have two years of eligibility at Indiana.

Related content: Read more in Football

On Nick Stoner and his Justin Bieber cutout
Wilson says Hoosiers need to play more like Bobby
Fancy uniforms, Tevin Coleman and more from Kevin Wilson's coaches teleconference
No major changes to latest Indiana 2-deep
Hoosier offense not satisfied with 42-point effort
Podunker
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 9:49 PM EDT

Not sure what to make of this new recruit. If I understand this information correctly, he went from 215 as a Senior is High School to 280 as a sophomore in college! That’s a weight gain of 65 pounds in two years.

I like his background in wrestling. Wrestlers typically have great balance and as he said, they do understand leverage. Just not sure why he has not gotten more offers other from FBS Division schools.

HoosierFan12
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 9:53 PM EDT

I agree with you Podunker, I don’t know how I feel about this recruit not having any FBS offers. I hope he can fill in the huge gap that the graduating seniors are going to leave! either way I trust the coaches’ decision and hopefully he turns into a good player.

Julie
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 10:45 PM EDT

It has been my experience in bed, that former wrestlers are quick and nimble.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 11:02 PM EDT

Do Iowa and Iowa State not qualify as FBS schools or have they been absorbed into different conferences?

Hoosier Clarion
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 11:43 PM EDT

Wrestling also enhances quickness and builds a competitive attitude.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 4:33 AM EDT

Most wrestlers I remember from high school were prematurely balding by the 10th grade yet had more body hair than Cro-Magnon man.

Chet
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 8:45 AM EDT

Remember Brad Pitt in the movie Troy? My youngest son, a wrestler, looks like a taller, more muscular version. About 6’3″, 190lb or so, probably about 6% body fat if that. Could eat anvils if you poured milk over them.

Not much body hair at all.

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 8:54 AM EDT

Read this AM Coach Wilson kinda got after the media yesterday for not sending many writers to cover the UMass game. 2 guys were there, DD and an 1 from IDS and KW noticed. I enjoy his us against the world flare ups every now and then. I suspect those are like the challenges he forwards to the players.

Chet
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 9:13 AM EDT

Unbelievable that the Indy paper would not send a reporter to cover the state’s most prominent university’s football team.

Do they not have a sports section?

Maybe, during basketball season, Fred Glass can deny them credentials to a ‘must see’ game.

Chet
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 9:58 AM EDT

I always find these community colleges with football (and other sports) teams interesting. We have plenty of community/technical colleges (almost all of them public schools) around here but none of them that I know of have athletic teams. They are just about academics, either 2 year programs like AD in Nursing, or the like, or as a path to a four year school.

#11 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 11:21 AM EDT

Tsao,
He had interest from Iowa and Iowa State, but not a scholarship offer, he said.

#12 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 11:31 AM EDT

And Chet, as much as I kind of appreciated the plug from Wilson there, going to UMass was no small investment. I’m certainly glad we went — thanks Mayer!— but I wouldn’t blame anybody for deciding that the cost-benefit analysis wasn’t worth the expense for a non-conference game. Granted, the IndyStar is a bigger paper, but it also has a lot of expenses and an IU football game doesn’t move the needle for them like it does for us. They certainly count as competition for us, but if Glass and the athletic department started demanding that news organizations make four-figure football road trips with lost basketball credentials as the potential penalty — and they would never do such a thing — I would strongly object on so many grounds.

The Olde kat
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 12:03 PM EDT

The Indianapolis Star is a newspaper? I did not know that anybody still read it. I thought it was strictly for litter boxes and bird cages.

Chet
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 1:03 PM EDT

Dustin, I have to believe that the ‘state newspaper’ of any state routinely sends a reporter to cover the games of the school bearing the name of the state, particularly if it is a D1 program. The Start, I’m guessing, is more the exception than the rule.

Chet
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 1:40 PM EDT

Man, my phone really wanted that to read ‘start”. I must have changed that 4 times to no avail.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 2:15 PM EDT

I like the way Wilson takes jabs at the press…Reminds me of an old basketball coach we used to know. IU football finally has a pulse. This could upset ‘The Establishment’ and all those Purdue fans that work for the Star.

Now we just need Wilson and Crean to make a trip to that Freaky Friday witchdoctor(Do the ol’ exchangeroo…Get the untouchable grandiloquent preacher into the ‘Theater of Tragedy’ where more empty seats can enjoy the lofty empty sermons of an actor..Get the no-nonsense, accessible, methodical, genuine, ‘General’-type, into the ‘Hall of Gladiators’ to lead the hardwood soldiers that forever define a hoops college married to candy stripes).

Anybody know a witchdoctor? Karen? Julie?

Podunker
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 2:42 PM EDT

Dustin, when it comes to covering IU sports, the Indy Star can’t compete with The HT.

Tsao, I specifically said offers, not just interest. As you know, a lot of schools show interest in a lot of players, but its when those schools make an offer that is most significant. According to the story, IU is this young man’s only offer to date. And since his size is not an issue, it just always makes me wonder, and frankly it makes me a little skeptical, when no other BCS Division schools have made an offer to an IU recruit. The good news is that for the class of 2013, this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Chet, you just described my nephew, also a collegiate wrestler, to a t. But he is not quite as tall as your son. And let’s put it this way, the female population on his campus, or pretty much anywhere else he goes, are not subtle about expressing their appreciation for his appearance. It’s actually quite amusing to witness their reactions to him when we’re all out in public.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 3:04 PM EDT

Women on the streets of Asheville often react to Chet(a.k.a. “The Finisher”) in the same manner.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 3:09 PM EDT

Dustin’s coverage of IU sports? Four words..

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 3:10 PM EDT

Heiderman was state runner-up in wrestling also.

Po, don’t you suspect with this players weight transition in such a short time he truly has flown under the so-called radar of college recruiting? I also think since IU’s FB notoriety is sub par this staff has to hunt deeper under the layer of cream which this player is for sure not part of(yet)(?)to find developing talent to recruit. At least that is how I am reading a couple of these commits.

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 3:19 PM EDT

…+ I am giving this staff a long leash after observing Spriggs, Fenney, Coleman and Roundtree…for a talent starved team these guys are studs or soon to be…

Lord of the Three Husketeers
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 3:51 PM EDT

I predict our football studs will hand it to OSU this year in the same fashion Louisiana Monroe handed it to Arkansas. The shocker will propel the Hoosiers into their first Hostess Twinkie Bowl.

On a more troubling note, our basketball team will lose in the opening round of March Madness to Appalachian State. It will forever be known as the ‘Curse of Kellenberger.’

Podunker
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 4:23 PM EDT

HC, yes, I thought that his weight and his academic performance coming out of high school were the primary limiting factors. But after (I presume) two years of JC football, he should not still be under the radar. Quality JC players are hot commodities, especially if they have his size.

My comments are not meant to criticize, and my statements on football recruits are relative, to other members of the recruiting class, other Big Ten teams, etc. I’m impressed and excited about IU’s 2013 recruiting class. But relative to the other members of this class, Heiderman sticks out due to his lack of offers from other BCS Division schools.

And yes, I agree, IU football has to “hunt deeper to find developing talent to recruit.” IU’s coaches have to work harder, at least for a few years, to find and then develop the less polished, less obvious talent. As a result, my hypothesis is that recruiting reality 1) involves greater risk, 2) may involve a higher rate of player turn-over, 3) involves players that may take a little longer to develop, and 4) involves players that are more likely to be highly loyal. That’s why I’m excited when I learn that we’re recruiting kids from other parts of the country. I know it takes time, money and staff, none of which are in abundance at IU, but I have said for years that IU football had to cast a wider net and recruit from areas like California, Florida and Texas. Simply put, I believe those areas contain a lot more hidden football gems.

Wilson and staff have definitely upgraded football recruiting.

NoNeck
Friday, September 14, 2012 - 7:31 PM EDT

The Indy Star, like many outlets, has NFL-itis. I’m waiting for them to put out a 10-special section on Andrew Luck’s grooming habits.

Their current sports editor vastly underestimates the interest in college and high school sports in the state. He cut back on IU basketball coverage, too, until Indiana bounced back last season and the Star website was leaking readers badly to other outlets that provide the coverage that Indiana fans are looking for.

The Star, like most Gannett papers, is quickly becoming irrelevant. Find your IU news elsewhere. You’ll be happy you did.

Comments

• W. Golf. Women's Golf Finishes 18th at Cougar Classic - A final round score of 307 put Indiana 18th at the Powerade Cougar Classic in Hanahan, South
  • Softball. Alumni: Update Your Records - All Indiana softball alumni are encouraged to update their contact information so that they can stay in touch with the
  • Indy forward talks fall visit plans - Kris Wilkes is one of the talented 2017 basketball prospects in Indianapolis. Already holding an
  • Vanderbilt adds Rivals150 scorer - Vanderbilt's class of 2015 was already strong. Tuesday it got stronger when Rivals150 forward Samir Sehic made his
  • BTN to televise 17 IU games for 2014-2015 season -

The Big Ten Network announced television designations for 17 Indiana games for the upcoming season and also announced that it will show three games on its web-only platform,

• 2014-2015 Big Ten preview: Top non-conference games -

With the start of college basketball season on the horizon, we’ll be taking a long look at the conference at large as well as Indiana’s roster over the next month. Today,

• Q&A: Catching up with Robert Johnson - Indiana freshman Robert Johnson talks improvement at IU, importance of Canada
  • 17 IU basketball games will be on BTN - Seven Indiana basketball games this season will be televised on the Big Ten Network, the BTN announced Tuesday. Check out the
  • The Week Three Opponent Recap