Mallory briefly discusses shortcomings at ISU, plans for UMass

80 comments by   |   Monday, September 3, 2012 - 2:57 pm EDT

A few brief comments from Indiana co-defensive coordinator Doug Mallory on IU’s defensive performance in its opener and his hopes for UMass:

On the Indiana State game: “We gave up 117 yards on four runs. If you take that away, then you feel like you maybe kept a pretty good running back fairly well in tact. We misfit on the long counter there. We misfit with a safety. He broke through, we didn’t have a second-level player behind him and a good back exposed us. Then when we get to the end of the half. They’re just trying to run out the clock right there and we don’t have a corner hugging the tight end. We gave them a soft edge and we got exposed there. There are things that I think can be corrected. I think if we fit a little bit better, we’d be in position to make a play.”

On UMass: “We’ve gotta make them one-dimensional. We’ve gotta be able to take away the run. I think our defensive line’s gotta continue to come on and continue to control the line of scrimmage. Those linebackers and those defensive backs, we’ve gotta fit the run game where we’re supposed to fit. Again, they’ve got two quality backs. One’s a transfer from Pitt, the other’s a transfer from Michigan. That’s two good quality backs there. We’ve gotta get after them. Be able to stop there running attack and force them to be one-dimensional.”

On the return of Lawrence Barnett: “I think he’s gonna be right there in the mix competing. We’ve got a couple more bodies back there at the corner spot. We just kind of open up the competition there this week. Every week. We don’t name starters right now. It’s how they produce during the week.”

Related content: Read more in Football

ScoopTalk: Day 2 in Chicago — more stuff about Sudfeld
ScoopTalk: Day 1 in Chicago
Big Ten Media Day: Indiana video from Day 1
Big Ten Media Day: Kevin Wilson transcript
Big Ten Media Day Ticker
Jim
Monday, September 3, 2012 - 3:57 PM EDT

tl:dl If you take away all the big plays that FCS team has on us, our D did GREAT!

Podunker
Monday, September 3, 2012 - 6:43 PM EDT

Yep, I have to agree, that was a pretty stupid comment by Mallory. No way ISU should have had one back that ran for that many yards. I don’t care if it was Walter Peyton, no back with ISU should not have gained more than 100 yards.

I’m just not convinced that the co-defensive coordinator thing works. Or, maybe a better way to say it is, I’m not sure the co-defensive coordinators at IU are working out. Too early to tell, but pretty soon we have to see that IU’s defense can stop giving up those huge plays that result from mental mistakes.

Wisco
Monday, September 3, 2012 - 7:10 PM EDT

Is he setting expectations by telling us the UMass RBs are from Pitt and Michigan?

IsItBasketballSeasonYet
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 10:00 AM EDT

Two quality backs? Really? Those “two quality backs” rushed for 21 yards on 13 carries last week against UConn. FOr anyone keeping score, that’s 1.6 yards/carry. Only 3 total yards rushing for the team. UMass only had 56 yards of total offense, and didn’t take an offensive snap on the other side of the 50 yard line all game. If IU doesn’t steamroll UMass Saturday, we need to switch to the MWC or MAC becuase we clearly don’t belong in the B1G.

iufan23
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 10:04 AM EDT

I don’t think he’s necessarily setting expectations except that for our program right now, there are no easy opponents. I don’t know much about Mass except that this is their first year at this level, but one could make the argument that this is our first year as well! Fact is that while we got a great win last Saturday, we are not a D1 caliber team yet which means that every opponent is going to be a VERY tough opponent. Once again, patience is the order of the day. I’d like to think we can beat Mass, but its going to be tough…young, undermanned team, on the road…tough.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 10:23 AM EDT

Po, what is not to like about co-coordinators? I see them recruiting better players and performing better on the field even if only after this 1st game. ISU did not score in the last 3rd of the game and their little water bug RB only gained like 40 some yards in the 2nd half. I’d say these co-coordinators made halftime adjustments and they worked to the desired result. Their coaching allowed the D to find a way to hold on to the lead and a way to win. Even Coach Wilson says the D won the game and also stated that would not have happened last year.

Podunker
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 1:36 PM EDT

HC, I will agree that IU’s defense showed signs of improvement. But Saturday’s game was evidence that they are still vulnerable to making the mental mistakes that result in HUGE TD plays for the opposing team. That suggests that the players remain confused about their assignments and are not all on the same page. Those mental mistakes result in devastating, momentum shifting plays that can cost a young team essential wins.

I think you can argue that, in relative terms, IU’s offense is the better prepared and better performing part of the team right now. At least it appeared to me that they were making far fewer mistakes Saturday night. And this early in the season, especially with so many young starters on offense, it is very unusual for a team’s offense to be the better performing group.

I really hope I’m wrong and that IU’s defense shows enormous improvement this year. But my gut tells me that IU’s defenders are still not all on the same page.

iuhoosier1992
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 3:27 PM EDT

Why doesn’t everyone call Pitt and see if they would take a win with how IU played against a FCS team or their loss versus a FCS team? Or Huston or Penn State. Heck, Iowa got pushed to the limit by a FCS team. We gave Crean more than a year to build it back up, why aren’t we giving Wilson the same courtesy?

Dunbar
Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 12:47 AM EDT

iuhoosier1992, you clearly have no clue. Iowa did not get pushed to the limit by a FCS team. Northern Illinois is in the MAC, and has won 22 games the last two seasons combined. Slightly different than ISU’s back-to-back 6-5 seasons at the FCS level. And who is not giving Wilson more than a year? Unless he gets lost in McNutt again he will get at least 5 years.

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 2:35 AM EDT

Somehow we continue to miss the point. While we demand immediate and significant improvement from our coaches and players, we demand none (actually, this is not a fair and dose not apply to some fans like IUFan23, Davis and HC who do retain a sense of proportion) from our fan base. Much of the culture that had IU so buried in pathetic losing season comes from a fan base that had little understanding of football, the solid leadership that can envision and direct a solid, winning program and the culture that has to surround it.

We now have a very professional coaching staff that seems to have a very clear idea of the problem, a plan to correct and replace it, the command presence to demand effort and performance from its players, recognizes the need for players who have the ‘potential’ to be winners and the commitment to separate those who don’t; and the will to direct, teach, test and motivate those players towards the common goal of becoming the foundation of a B1G program that respects itself each and every day and game.

Somehow, however, as it is still evident from some of the posts here, we still have a fan base lacking the knowledge and patching for that missing link may take a while. Hopefully, the staff will forgive and ignore us and follow their instincts while patiently wait for us get ‘a clue’ while they bring us along to the extent we eventually develop a Hoosier football culture and grow and sustain a winning tradition.

Until then, we really should avoid passing judgment on a staff that within its members likely has more winning seasons than Indiana has had throughout our history (Bill Mallory being the only proud exception). We really should remain quiet, watch and really concern ourselves with developing some humility rather than continue to sound like a bunch of ‘wannabe’ coaches.

I suggest we leave it to the real ones.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 8:42 AM EDT

TTG, You’ve touched on the evolution of FB in Indiana and you are right. Well over a half century ago as a boy growing up in Indiana I knew near nothing about FB except the players had hunched up shoulders(as seen on TV). My family moved to Ohio during my pre-teen and very early teen years and I was near force fed FB just as Indiana force feeds BB. When we moved back a few years later and that Fall I enrolled in the HS I graduated from it was their very 1st year of varsity FB. From a FB standpoint I had moved back in time. Boy did I have a leg up on them and became a starter as a Freshman. Fair sized towns and the cities in Indiana were different but I’ll bet every country kid had almost the same lack of knowledge about FB I as I started with.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 9:08 AM EDT

HC, growing up on the Ohio River, where the first settlements were, was a bit different. Fifty years ago Jeffersonville and New Albany had already been playing each other in a heated rivalry for fifty years.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 9:40 AM EDT

Chet, point well taken. A farm kid with a basketball can be entertained for hours shooting hoops. Not quite the same enjoyment in throwing or kicking a football by yourself. Ohio schools stated consolidating a decade or 2 before Indiana and that offered enough boy students per class to play FB at recess. My experience was there were times in grade school we did not have enough to play 5 on 5 BB. When we played baseball we had to mix 2 grades to have enough and then maybe have to use an opposing team player to catch for the defense. Consolidation advanced the popular state sport of FB in Ohio. It has done the same in Indiana but in a later timeline.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 10:57 AM EDT

Football was very big in Northwest Indiana during my high school years. I really don’t think basketball received any more attention. There was a wonderful mystique to Friday nights..After school pep rallies with cheerleaders and band along with bonfires to put to flames a straw-stuffed dummy of a rival team’s uniformed player burned in effigy were always the norm. There was always excitement for Friday nights under the lights of Troy Field. Homecoming Queens were crowned during football season and paraded around the track that circled the field during halftimes…And did the flirtatious girls you carried a heavy crush ever look sexier than in the ambiance of a nighttime football game as they strolled through the cool fall air in soft virgin wool sweaters and tight blue jeans?

Hobart(the ‘Brickies’) was always the team from our conference to be respected…Hobart always had good size..They looked bigger because they were bigger. They hit hard. You were guaranteed an indoctrination into good hitting when going up against the Brickies. Hobart was to our Duneland Conference as OSU is to the Big 10.. If you could stay in a game against Hobart, then there was a sense you could have a great chance to win against anyone on your schedule.

Drop back a few more decades into the steel city of Gary and football was far more popular than basketball. My dad was an All-State football during his high school days in Gary. Only his decision to enlist in the Navy during WW II prevented him from scholarship offers coming from Purdue and Michigan. The Gary city newspapers must have devoted a lot of space to covering local football teams(as evidenced by a wonderful old scrapbook my father’s sister made for him).

Maybe it was our proximity to Chicago that made us a bit more equally devoted to the major sports(football, basketball, baseball), but in my humble opinion, it’s a real stretch to claim IU football has been stalled in its progression because of a lack of general interest or some cultural phenomenom. The focus was always put on the back-burner because the appetite for success was being satisfied by a very prominent basketball program. As the banner drought took hold during the latter years of Knight, suddenly pigskin at IU was viewed as a worthwhile investment in resources.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 11:22 AM EDT

Some of my fondest childhood memories were playing football in my backyard with the buddies from my street.

We devoted equal time indoors to the thrills of electric football or a board game featuring ping pong basketball. Are any of you old enough to remember flicking those spring-loaded controls and lofting the ping pong ball from half-court for a score? Looking back, I wonder how on earth we ever kept ourselves entertained on rainy days without cable TV and XBox games? Every so often you’d walk downtown to a hobby shop and kill a couple hours watching the electric slot cars race around a track..When you wanted real excitement, you’d make a trip to the Aladdin’s Castle arcade at the mall and immerse yourself in pinball, or the latest craze, ‘Space Invaders.’

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 1:47 PM EDT

My entire collection of toys growing up consisted of a basketball, a football, and a handful of toy soldiers. I was under the impression that was all anyone had. My Mom made me put on nice clothes the day the color TV arrived.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 5:25 PM EDT

Old enough to remember, ha HfH, you are 2-3 decades behind what I was talking about. Sorry for the critique but your Dad would have a better handle on it than you. Population is where FB was/is played and BB was played against a barn with a hoop on it needing a minimum of 1. Please tell me how the 1-12 school I attended as a 4th grader could play organized varsity FB when only averaging 21 pupils per grade? Can anyone say cultural phenomenon? You are not old enough to expound with accuracy.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 9:34 PM EDT

Your experience is not indicative of my own. I grew up in a small town(population approx. 10,000) in Northwest Indiana, but we still had decent enough numbers to field a football team. There were plenty to make it necessary for cuts and competition. My graduation class was around 300 students. We did have a disadvantage against other somewhat larger schools in the conference that were coming out of small city populations probably in excess of 40,000(Michigan City, Portage, Gary, Hobart, LaPorte, Valparaiso). My folks moved from the town limits to the countryside when I was heading into middle school. I soon had to take about a 45 minute bus ride to the middle school I attended in a different township because the township my parents had built their dream home was very sparse(mostly farmers) and only had one elementary school.

I know all about rural living and spending hours on a basketball court. My closest friends in the country were 6 to 7 miles away. My old man erected my b-ball hoop out of a left over beam from the Pullman train car manufacturing building that was tore down years prior in Michigan City(the majority of the hundreds of other beams used as framework his home designed of his own hand)…add a custom cut sheet of plywood for a backboard, some angular 2″ x 12″ wooden supports cut from fir, rim and net. My hoops heaven sat looking out upon a huge expanse of a beautiful green 10 acre field that served as frontal property our home. No barns. I played into the late hours of summer nights under a the bright glow of street lamp salvaged from the city of Huntington, Indiana. What once lit Main Street in Huntington in the early 1900s became the night lights our property borders and long driveway.

We had playgrounds and parks in our town. We had two practices a day weeks before classes would begin as we prepared for the opener of our high school football season. We had a practice field and a separate football field with grandstands. We had football at the two middle schools that funneled into one high school. We lived for Friday nights with the fame fervor the winters game on hardwood when the gym would be packed for basketball season. This was over four decades ago in a very small town that hasn’t changed much in population size since. We had a passion for all sports. We even had an Olympic size pool at my tiny high school and regularly sent a half-dozen or so very strong swimmers to the state finals.

I understand that your experience in a very rural setting is unique, but I still think its not representative of many others that grew up in towns adjacent to populous cities. I grew up in a small town that had to compete against bigger schools. We still had years that we could give them all they asked for for four quarters. Indianapolis, Hammond, Gary, South Bend, Michigan City, Evansville, Connersville, Jeffersonville, Lafayette, Fort Wayne, Muncie…Plenty of populous areas our state to support more than basketball on the side of a barn. I don’t think Oscar Robertson shot jumpers at the family barn in a cornfield.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 10:08 PM EDT

After scanning your lifes history it is easy to understand why you cannot comprehend what I have described because I predate by 3-4 decades. I too am from NW Indiana. Please tell me about the prowess of the varsity football teams from Hebron, Porter, Boone Grove, Westville, St John, Wanatah, Dyer, Kouts and lets say Wheeler. Please expound I am all ears.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 10:23 PM EDT

How the generations change. A while back we built our ‘dream house’ (later, with the kids growing up, we decided it was ridiculous and sold it to buy our real dream house, a log cabin). The first thing to go in was a lighted, full court basketball court. It wasn’t regulation length (it was 60 feet) but it was regulation width, at 50 feet. All the lines were painted as were lines for volleyball. It was basked in lights.

Dear God, what was I doing? Some guy with three fat kids bought it. I hope they ran the weight off.

On an IU note, we had a reunion of the Willkie Coop there. Volleyball was the game of the hour.

Now I have what I really always wanted, including a roaring creek 100′ feet from my door stocked with trout by the DNR (damned government intervention). Simple is better.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 10:44 PM EDT

Chet, I offer this just for shits and giggles. My pond was stocked by me. Pure pleasure as I did not have to cuss the government even once about it.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 10:56 PM EDT

I wish I fished. It’s like having a Genie and not having any wishes. I am dripping in trout and I’m a Type A guy who can’t give up an hour to stand still.

It’s my loss.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 11:10 PM EDT

The schools you mention also had basketball teams that had no prowess. There are pimple-sized towns in every state that can’t support football programs. Why is that unique to Indiana? Conversely, there have been plenty of towns and cities throughout the state where football has thrived. I believe a population of 10,000 is still relatively small by most standards. We had football and it was plenty popular. Could we compete against the bigger schools in our conference? Probably not with the same success we could on the hardwood.

Football has had plenty of support from plenty of small towns to large cities across this state. The dotting of small farming towns doesn’t make for an excuse some cultural regression in Indiana that has kept football lagging behind in Bloomington. IU has dropped the ball because they had a prominent coach that brought huge success the other major sport. The personality and success of Indiana basketball contributed to Bloomington being identified in its likeness. Football didn’t die in Bloomington because it wasn’t being played throughout the state with great passion.

Not very long ago, a tiny little town in southern Indiana produced a first team All-State selection quarterback that now starts for the Chicago Bears. Hew went to a school that graduated only 200 students(smaller than my Northwest Indiana school 40 years ago). I’m pretty sure he played football in Indiana. Do you believe in Santa Claus? His Class 3-A team defeated Zionsville(a school of over 2000 students) 27-24 in an overtime contest for the 3-A state championship.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 11:55 PM EDT

You still don’t get it. I’ll waste no more of your time.

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 2:42 AM EDT

Indiana is basically a rural state (except for its dotted larger urban areas and some small cities like Anderson, Kokomo, Lafayette, (New Albany and Chetville)…where basketball really was king.

Hoosier culture of smaller towns (at that time a Bloomington to Indianapolis trip on Old 37 was a tek) was made for the generally isolated life of rural areas. Basketball is 5 v 5. A school with 12 boys could field a team. and can be played and is fun 1 v 1. Football, however required larger concentrations of people and…money. It takes 15 or more players to field a team and do anything resembling the ‘real’ game (I understand there is a 7 v 7 version- I’ve never seen it) so, until consolidation of school districts became the rule the sport could not grow roots in Indiana.

And, in terms of culture; have you ever tried to play football 1 v 1 or 2 v 2? It can be done (I imagine) but it is nothing like the real game. Another factor, it is an expensive sport each player is carrying about $2000 worth of equipment (even for practice) and the injury and liability insurance alone would make it prohibitive for small school districts.

I grew up playing soccer in South America (we would play 1 v 1 (or 53 v 51- exaggeration but you get the point) depending on how we chose up sides. Our ‘field’ a dirt street full of hard, sharp rocks (and other matter) that was about 20 yards wide (twice a year the municipality would run its road planer and widen it to 30 yards- we called it ‘world cup time’). We put two empty cans, or piles of clothing on each end as goals, so the field was about 120 yards long and 20 yards wide. Play stopped when a cart pulled by a horse came by (ice man, milk man, junk man…knives sharpener) and we used sticks to move whatever gifts were left by the horse and resumed play. Between all of us we owned…ohhh, about 1 ball. We greased it every night with meat fat to preserve the leather and covered it with an old sweater. No line markings, no posts, no nets, no corner flags. The very first time I coached it here (my kid’s first team), the kids couldn’t understand how we could practice without a full field marked off and the nets hung. So, I had us practice across a field, with a pile of sweaters as the goals.

Playing it here was never as much fun or as competitive as I remember as a kid. But, though separated by about 7000 miles, it is incredible how the memories of basketball in Indiana are like the memories of a kid chasing after a soccer ball at the bottom of South America on a street where a Lio Messi or Diego Maradona or Pele play their games was exactly like watching alley round ball in Indianapolis or a kid shooting baslets on a drive way near Brownsburg in 1958.

And the fans…like you guys… the same no matter where they are.

Go Whoosheers!

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 4:49 AM EDT

Complete BS..Indiana is far more than baskets on barns and French Lick hicks. Some of the best basketball this state grew out of larger cities…Michigan City Elston..Gary Roosevelt…South Bend Adams…Indianapolis Crispus Attucks….Fort Wayne..Indianapolis Washington…Jeffersonville…Connersville…Lafayette Jeff. Please don’t tell me there are not good football programs that grew out of these populous communities.

Many states in the Midwest are basically rural. Iowa is rural..Much of Ohio is rural. Wisconsin is rural..Minnesota is rural…Nebraska is rural. They play damn good football in these states. You guys talk of Indiana as if it were Wyoming. Northwest Indiana was once an industrial haven.. You actually believe football was not an important sport.

I cannot believe we’re now excusing IU football’s long suffering based on labeling this state as having no metropolitan existence and thus not the numbers to support football. That is complete and utter nonsense.

Take your cynical insults and shove them up your arrogant ass, Clarion.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:23 AM EDT

And you now why they played more football during my father’s generation? Because many were just big immigrant kids that were uncoordinated klutzes and they viewed the physical brutality associated with football as a ‘real man’s’ sport. My dad was an All-State football player but he didn’t possess the smoothness, agility, and artistry needed for the game of hoops. Bless his heart…He could crush your hand with his grip, but he couldn’t shoot a natural jump shot for the life of him or elevate 12″ off the ground. The finesse needed for basketball was completely absent their skill levels. The popularity of football in his youthful days had nothing to do with advantageous numbers..

And such a complete distortion of history when fools watch movies like “Hoosiers” and internalize it as representative the truth concerning basketball’s evolution in Indiana. East Coast Establishment would love you guys. Indiana: Bobby Knight, Bobby Plump, cornfields, and barns.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:27 AM EDT

oops. And do you know why…

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 8:22 AM EDT

Back in the ’70 Bloomington High School (back then there was BHS and University High School) had an incredible run going. Their football teams went years without a loss (the only blemish on my team’s record in the 11th grade). The wrestling team was, far and away, the best high school team in the country. They dominated just about every sport in the old South Central Conference.

Except…basketball. That was where everyone else exorcised their demons against BHS. On the hardwood.

When North opened it all changed.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 9:18 AM EDT

TTG, your post articulated perfectly the benefits HS FB gained when rural Indiana schools began consolidation. Just as they did in Ohio 2 decades earlier. Before consolidation they were incubators for our state’s premier pastime. Towns the size HfH keeps repeating as examples had the #’s for FB w/o the need from consolidation. But before consolidation throughout the state by a wide, wide margin there many more schools the size of Hanna than Valpo and their #’s could not support FB. I was a student who lived through that Hoosier history. He simply is to new to the world to know.

Chris
Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 3:11 PM EDT

Hmm Chet, Your obviously from nearby, I’m a Bloomington native(which I Believe affords me a certain credibility, and renders facts “optional”), but not real versed on the history–pre split High Schools, I graduated BHSS Class of ‘ well, that’s not important. All I remember hearing about is the 1919 state Basketball championship, I did hear about the big Football run in the early ’70′s that you refferenced. An educated guess at your school, losing only once your 11th grade year, would be…Martinsville? They used to rock at Football, when I was a kid(when did the South Central Conference go the way of the Dinosaur?), anyway, the real point of my post is to find out: what?when?where in the heck is ESPN3? I’m quite sure that for all intents and purposes to me, it means, I’m not gonna’ see the game. Any help with that?

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 3:13 PM EDT

The premise attempting to be built with this ‘my little town’ argument on this thread is that IU football has suffered eternally long droughts because the state of Indiana was just too horribly rural to indoctrinate into its culture the means to enjoy football. Ludicrous.

Valparaiso was four times the size of my home town. We were the smallest school in our conference and there was never a shortage of guys going out for the football team. And we did play much of our games on both sides of the ball. Are starting QB was also a defensive safety. Our kicker was our best wide receiver.
I don’t know the numbers, but I would guess that 20% of the guys in high school would go out for the football team. There were many on the sideline that never got an ounce of playing time. We were a small town! A town of 10,000 inhabitants and we played football. We played it in our backyards(and yes, we played a ton of one-on-one football). Our heroes were Gale Sayers and Brian Picalo…We watched football on TV. If you were lucky, your dad that worked 60 hours a week would still have time after a long day to go outside and toss the pigskin around with you.

Notre Dame was probably 20 miles from Clarions front door. Do you believe inhabitants of NW Indiana didn’t read a ton of stories about ND football in the sports pages their small town newspapers(Never mind, Clarion’s town had a flier made out of corn husks that was distributed once every 6 months and television was only in one out of the total 30 families in the village. Sometimes all the relatives would gather together for horseshoes..Newspapers? Football? Never)?

I’m sure between 1932 and 1950 in some remote farming villages/one gas station/one mom & pop diner towns(not really towns other than some official incorporated designation making them such) of Indiana there were one classroom schools that were fortunate to have their only teacher to coach the five males in the school at a game of hoops. But their were also plenty of vibrant mid-sized towns..There were mid-sized cities..There were hundreds of schools that could support football programs and fielded very strong teams. Every state in the Plains and Midwest has sizable rural pockets. Every state goes through transitions of consolidation(more often to save costs rather than serve as advantage in teaching or having the student in mind).

But to claim Indiana was not playing enough football IN THE HUNDREDS of populous pockets as an excuse for football never taking hold at Bloomington’s fine college destination(a school that can attract thousands of young men and woman student/athletes nationwide). LUDICROUS. Football never took hold at IU because they didn’t give a SH*T about it. We had a nationally prominent basketball program and for many years it satisfied a thirst for winning.

Hmm? Maybe that’s why Indiana has produced so many damn good quarterbacks. Can you name all of them? Maybe after a day of pulling on cows nipples(developing soft, yet firm grip) the youngsters would find the old tire swing hanging from the one great oak tree in backyard that was saved for shade amongst the corn ..Instead of grabbing the basketball from the barn, they would grab the dusty football that had somehow been forgotten while stashed under the bed with the Playboy’s(I mean, what’s a farm boy to do after milking multiple nipples all day?)..Soon, Clarion’s frustrations of loneliness would play out..Hours upon hours dropping back into the pocket and firing spiral after spiral at the moving tire swing swaying in the evening breeze from the great oak tree. Touchdown! Touchdown!

And I think it’s gonna be a long long time
Till touchdown brings me round again to find
I’m not the cow-milking nipple-handler they think I am at home
Oh no no no I’m a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his spirals up here alone

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 3:16 PM EDT

oops…Brian Picollo

Lord of the Minutemen
Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 4:06 PM EDT

10. ‘Set up in the pocket’…

9. ‘Finds the gap’…

8. ‘Wishbone’…

7. ‘Dumps it off’…

6. ‘Wide Receiver in motion’…

5. ‘Split formation’…

4. ‘Between the uprights’…

3. ‘Under center’…

2. ‘Just inside the tight end’…

1. ‘Crack block’….

Yes, other than “crack block,” those were ‘Top 10 Suggestive Football Phrases’ to get Julie in the mood..

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 4:27 PM EDT

Clarion household meets Satan.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 4:41 PM EDT

TTG, it is obvious Junior still does not get it.

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 4:59 PM EDT

Note: Sorry…this got long but that is the nature of good memories. Thanks to HC,HfH and Chet for touching that memory button.

Harvard, no one’s questioning that a good football programs came out of ‘the Region’ (Gary, East Chicago, Hammond, east to Michigan City, South Bend and Fort Wayne); or that some of the major small cities like Lafayette, Anderson, Muncie…of course Indianapolis had several excellent teams, Columbus, Chet pointed out Jeffersonville and New Albany and the Evansville area. I’ll even add that one of the great football towns in the Midwest was Richmond which back in the day was one of the dominant teams- mostly due to the Ohio influence and its nearby Miami of Ohio (Oxford, O.) which as the time was considere3d a football Mecca. In fact, one of the great coaches at Miami and eventually the New York Jets, Weeb Ewbank was from Richmond.

But notice the concentrations HfH. Along what was US 6 (I believe that’s right)(together with the Indiana Turnpike), US 31(N/S), US 52 (Chicago to Indy), US 40(E/W),(oops, I don’t recall the number of the Indy-Fort Wayne highway (now Interstate 69) but I think it may have been either US or IND 39 and whatever is the number of the state road that connected New Albany/Jeffersonville to Evansville. Add Bloomington and that’s about it…(I’ll bet that accounts for 90% of the high school football in Indiana in the early 1960′s).

You are absolutely right. East Chicago, Gary, Hammon, Hobart had great teams (we played against several). Gary and EC of course, because of the steel mills and refineries and the ethnic populations (central and eastern Europeans, Italians and African-Americans who drifted north after WW2). No one’s arguing that.

The point being made is that about 20-30% of the geography accounted for 80% of the football; primarily because of the small size of the schools until the big wave of consolidation that basically killed the Hickories of Indiana..; while football was fed by the big industrial labor force that lived along the highways I listed. It was a fascinating and a very democratizing experience. Football required large numbers, basketball did not. That’s all. I know I’m not trying to pick an argument with you HfH( you know by now that anyone messing with you has to live the rest of his/her life avoiding dark corners where the treacherous TsoTsu may lurk). And, I really do believe that HC is also just describing the period he lived (I imagine about the generally same period-maybe 10 year difference).

But you know what…you know how good it felt to climb on ‘real buses (the over-the-road ones with the rounded front end) and drive from Indy to Anderson and get off the bus and half the town you traveled to was waiting to see these ‘huge’ (5’7 1/2, 158 lb lb types). And, if you caught the eye of a cheerleader from the other team…you were the big man until the bus got home and your parents picked you up in the two tone 1958 Ford and reminded you to rake the leaves the next day… Ohh God! What ever happened to Andy Anderson…I STILL LOVE YOU ANDY!!!

Want to read a great book about exactly that period, exactly that location…read ‘Going All the Way’ by Dan Wakefield. Kurt Vonnegut (who is a graduate of my high school in those days) wrote “about growing up before free sex, Vietnam and AIDS. A “wildly sexy novel (that) isn’t a sex novel”. The central character in the novel is a kid named Casselman, who actually happened to be our QB. Later (I think) he became the football coach in Avon which was no more than a gasoline station in those days.

It’s all good HfH…I for one am thrilled to death that there are people like you and Hoosier Clarion and Chet who still remember the days and the people and the towns and driving through roads that turned 90 degrees to go around another cornfield to get to some little town to play teams that filled their stadium (all 350 seats) and played their basketball on floors where the ref had to keep reminding them to ‘pull their feet back’.

It’s all good…keep remembering your stories and telling them, and I hope Clarion does the same and I’ll keep remembering and telling mine.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:08 PM EDT

What’s obvious is that you have now through simple substitution gained perverse satisfaction attaching to TTG’s sagging unproductive Scoop milkers for replacement the cow nipples that actually produced something sustaining and profitable your days on the farm in Pimpleville, Indiana. Don’t make a visual, Dustin. I comprehend perfectly. IU built its name on basketball by choice.

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:14 PM EDT

HC…I like HfH…he’s got a great heart and enjoys us. You know what I was thinking…North Central HS was nothing but cornfields, Carmel and Zionsville were what was know as ‘farmer towns’, Avon and Brownsburg I’m not sure even merited a dot on the Indiana map yet. HfH has beautiful memories of his time and their place and their dad and his street lights, and you and I have beautiful memories of ours…and I think we all love to hang on to ours, especially today when it’s all been turned onto a virtual existence. So…as I thought about it, I’m just glad that there are other guys who care about those memories…here’s a beer for you! And one for Harvard! and one for Chet! And oen for Kevin Wilson!

Ooohh! I think I should take a nap now…. (Anybody on this blog remember Andy Anderson?)

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:29 PM EDT

“The point being made is that about 20-30% of the geography accounted for 80% of the football…”

Very true…and very beautiful. Unfortunate, you forgot to add:

‘….and the game of basketball played on city streets at a level that a Bobby Plump in a wet cornfield dream couldn’t achieve with any more average success than a 250 lb. IU lineman going against a 320 lb. bull with basketball-sized testicles, son of a dairy farmer, from Wisconsin.

My God, this is the state of Knute Rockne, “The Gipper,” Ara Parseghian, the Golden Dome, and Notre Dame football. IU sucks at football by choice not old circumstance and pig farmers. It could take decades to reverse the priorities of choice. Interest blossomed where success blossomed. One beget the other. Great football was being played in Indiana with superb athletes while IU remained asleep to its existence. Midwestern and the Great Plains states have no different contrasts in rural vs. city life. They have some stupendous football….and Nebraska has some damn lousy basketball with a ton of barns.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:37 PM EDT

Post after post after post after month after month and you just can’t shake lose of your juvenile disposition. Bye bye Junior.

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:46 PM EDT

HC, great posts…enjoyed them a lot. It is Indiana!

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 5:50 PM EDT

Actually, I’m just fishin’ here….casting for friendship..sending out my line long from a high shoreline above a spring-fed pond full of bluegill, crappie, and bass. Opening up the spool of memories from an old Zebco…Killing time where time should no longer be wasted. The sun shines upon the water and I see a small grouping of ‘small mouth’ swimming near the surface. They’re hungry in the midday of this hot summer afternoon. So easy my favorite lure will entice one…It’s really a no-contest. This is not sport…This is entrapment by sake of the power my superior view from above(much like a Clarion post).

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 6:01 PM EDT

This juvenile delinquent will now depart with an old song for an old friend…the only friend that was really worth a waste of time.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 6:09 PM EDT

I should add on more note:

I think you meant ‘shake loose’….It’s IU football that’s trying to shake lose.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 6:22 PM EDT

Chris, remembering back to the last time I accessed it, I believe ESPN3 is online only. It’s free, though, and easy to use.

I went to Jeffersonville. As I recall the SCC was Jeff, Bloomington, Columbus (also pre-split), Connersville (long drive from Jeff), Seymour, Shelbyville, maybe Martinsville. That’s all I remember. I don’t think the SCC made it to the ’80s but it was alive and well in the ’70s. It was a very tough conference in its day. I remember Clarksville (right beside Jeff) would routine beat foes in their conference by 4 – 5 TDs and always talked smack to us at the drive in. We finally got to play them my senior year and we laid about 52 points on them.

Anyway, bookmark ESPN3, they have a ton of games. Hook up your laptop to that 52 inch plasma. Most ESPN3 games are in HD.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 8:43 PM EDT

Bobby Plump was a very good college basketball player and he did just fine against the city boys.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 8:45 PM EDT

TTG, I read that book in the ninth grade.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 8:53 PM EDT

Funny you mentioned the powerful Richmond teams. It was Richmond that ended Bloomington’s (I think) 60-some game win streak in a 22-21 upset.

BTW, Bloomington kept us from a perfect season on the basis of a 48 yard field goal on the last play of the game. We we certain we had won because, really, who’s gonna nail a 48 yard field goal in high school.

The very next season that guy was kicking field goals for the Fightin’ Irish.

Damn him.

psych
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 1:17 AM EDT

Minnesota does NOT play good high school football, HofH. Seeing as I am from there, I would have a little more knowledge about that than you would.

Also, I am curious. You keep listing Notre Dame as a reason that Indiana was asleep at the wheel in football since Notre Dame is in Indiana. A question that I am too lazy to look up the answer to myself, but has Notre Dame recruited mainly Indiana boys over their history for football players, or do they recruit nationally? I ask simply out of curiousity, since I do not know. If they recruit mainly Indiana boys, then you may be onto something about IU not caring one bit about being successful in football.

Mike P
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 9:16 AM EDT

Chet,

Though the teams changed over the years, I played in the SCC at BHSS in the early 90′s under Mo Moriarty. It wasn’t until 1998 that the SCC officially dissolved and Conference Indiana, which South plays in now, was formed.

Mike P
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 9:31 AM EDT

Chet,

In 1967, South beat Muncie Central in the final game of the season, they wouldn’t lose again until the final game of the 1973 season to Indianapolis Cathedral, not Richmond. That is still the longest consecutive win streak in state history.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 10:01 AM EDT

Thanks, I stand corrected.
I guess the Richmond game was part of another streak. In those days Bloomington had double digit streaks going on all the time.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 10:06 AM EDT

I was at the wrong end of several games in those streaks. I seem to recall playing against Rex Grossman, Sr. during that time. Would that be right?

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 10:11 AM EDT

psych, Here is more facts HfH knows nothing about.

He is as delusional about the abundance of barns in Nebraska as he is the evolution of Indiana HS FB through school consolidation. The scarcity of homegrown timber in Nebraska and the high price of lumber transported in kept stick built farm buildings construction from being viable for almost a century. Even today when in Nebraska you need to take your own shade with you.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 10:11 AM EDT

If I’m not mistaken that Richmond game was a season opener, but that was a long time ago and, obviously, I don’t recall many of the details.

Mike P
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 11:43 AM EDT

Chet,

During that era there was Rex’s dad, Dan Grossman and Dan’s brother Dobby.

Someone might correct me, but I think Dan and Dobby’s father was named Rex Daniel Grossman, I believe that Dan is actually Rex Daniel Grossman II and that the most recent is Rex Daniel Grossman III. So depending on what years you were there, it is possible that you played against two different Grossman QB’s.

On a side note, Dan’s grandson is a 6th grader and has stepped into a QB role this season. So far his footwork coming out from center is solid and he delievers a strong, tight spiral while on the move, the plays are designed for him to role out. So far I haven’t seen the “F’it, lets go deep” mentality of his Uncle Rex, but he has the arm to loft it down field.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 12:45 PM EDT

Mike P., what school is that young man in and what HS would he most likely be attending. Thanx.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 1:33 PM EDT

Rex Grossman(a.k.a “Butterfingers”) should have just as well put a ribbon and bow around the football in Super Bowl XLI and handed it to the Colts as a late Christmas gift.

Grossman’s complete debacle will likely go down as the worst QB performance in the history of title games. Every day Manning polishes his gaudy, unearned Super Bowl ring, he should send a text from Mile High to ‘Sexy Rexy’ thanking him for the gift that arrived in Indy before the finest of Luck.

Clarion- Have you checked the barn today? I believe the chickens are hatching mini footballs. They’re not just plopping out..They’re flying out like a Grossman tight spiral. It’s the beginning of the evolution of Indiana football.

psych- I did the research. Notre Dame is actually in Southwest Nebraska. Who would have thunked it? Clarion. My bad.

Chris
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 1:36 PM EDT

Yeah, I was gonna’ say that The SCC was in existence untill at least the early 90′s, cuz I was there & it was still our conference, anyway, I work weekend nights, but I suppose I could DVR the game via my laptop(on my 50″ plasma actually!!-would have never bought a plasma but they assure me that they have come a long way, plus he picture is pristine, not to mention the 36 month interest free aspect, that’s the kicker, just bought it Tuesday actually). This should be doable via ESPN3 you think? I’m challenged technologically, amoungst other topics.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 2:34 PM EDT

I understand that Clarion’s studies in sports evolution took him on a recent trip to Nebraska. I was too lazy to look it up, but can someone tell me if Michigan has enough cherry tree farms to support a decent football program?

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 2:43 PM EDT

Chris, if your laptop has an HDMI out (most do these days) it’s just plug and play. Couldn’t be simpler. Your plasma probably would accept a VGA, too, but I’d turn everything off to plug it in first, if you go that route. HDMI is better and a little easier.

I have a little 7″ tablet that actually has an HDMI out, so does my old Zune, which they don’t make any more. Little sucker isn’t much bigger than a couple credit cards stacked together and I can record and play a feature length HD movie on the big plasma from it. A victim of marketing.

Mike P
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 2:47 PM EDT

HC,

As of right now, he will attend Bloomington South.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 3:37 PM EDT

HfH, 1 of the benefits to living a seasoned life is simply the experience gained from the tests you take before receiving the lessons. Oh and 1 of the other benefits is being able to outflank you repeatedly.

Lord of the Plug and Play
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 3:41 PM EDT

Steaming opens up a whole new world. I frequently stream reruns of ‘Mutual of Ohama’s Wild Kingdom’ to my giant plasma screen.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 4:29 PM EDT

And one of the benefits of condescension without the face-to-face is the hiding of ugly truths in the cowardice of your own disgrace.

My life may, or may not, be as seasoned as your own, Clarion. Common kindness and not taking debates and petty disagreements about something as meaningless and unproductive our digressions on Hoosier Scoop sports topics to a level of demeaning characterizations, is something of a lesson you may have benefited. I don’t have all the answers, Clarion. My life has left me knowing I made wrong choices. I am happy that your brave searching has found you so wholly satisfied to preach from such levels I reserve to another judge.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 5:01 PM EDT

What rambling mush.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 5:08 PM EDT

I relinquish all my foolish thoughts regarding Hoosier Football’s struggles over the last four decades. I defer to Clarion and Tsoa as superior in intellect concerning all topics none of us should have the gall to challenge.

Hoosier Football has sucked for most of four decades because the widely dispersed small farming communities lagged behind in consolidation their schools. Because of this rural phenomenon unique to only Indiana, every passionate young and talented football player from small to mid-sized towns with high schools and student enrollments atypical of Boone Grove, Kouts Hebron, or Wheeler..and the hundreds of student of middle schools and high schools from mid-sized to larger cities growing out of more concentrated populations spanning from the Ohio River, to the capital of Indiana, to the shores of Lake Michigan, had no inkling of a desire to suit up, join a high school team, and play competitive football.

Indiana football has sucked for 40 years because there was simply nowhere the numbers to be found to field a team at Boone Grove. Buy into it everyone. It is from the words of the all-knowing that have lived lives far more seasoned to understand and interpret even your own past and your own cherished experiences. Forget that shit. Wipe it off the concocted memories you have no right to uphold and believe in. Their experiences are the ingredients that made the soil you walk upon.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 5:16 PM EDT

Go make an apple pie in your stupid-ass electric skillet. Try using it for fried mush sometime for life is short and sweet and merely a rambling coincidence of events in a universe of random fate. Rejoice in the differences our nature rather than labeling anything unlike your own image and perspectives as a freakish distortion. All in this world deserve the dignity of their unique beauty.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 5:50 PM EDT

Still many splatters of rambling mush. But you are getting closer to the idea about Indiana HS FB. Keep working at it, it may still happen for you. Even if by accident. Good Luck.

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 6:55 PM EDT

“I’ll waste no more of your time.”

Is that what you say to the wife before wasting her evening with your impotent stubbornness? That was post #24, Clarion. Then you attempted to dig at my skull with another insult aimed my way via a response you sent to ‘psyche’ on my behalf in post #55.

For someone that doesn’t want to waste my time, you sure seem determined at mental masturbation techniques.. Sorry, though it’s all about the ownership for you, screwing it won’t make it breed on that seasoned tough pork chop between your ears.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 9:38 AM EDT

HfH exuding more rambling mush. Your skull is so easy to get in to I decided a few more minutes on my behalf was affordable for your education. Glad you did not waste your time lollygagging and went back and reread informative posts. It displays some progress on your part.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 9:48 AM EDT

I don’t know historically, but there are currently 11 players who hail from the Hoosier state on the Notre Dame rosters

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 10:03 AM EDT

I read that a couple of days ago but did not research what the history holds. I speculate 11 could be close to an all time high. The progress of Indiana HS FB and Coach Kelly who always recruited Indiana prior to arriving at ND are 2 reasons making that happen.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 11:12 AM EDT

I would surmise that ND’s football reputation(though not the strongest in recent years)still affords them the cream of the crop.

And if Indiana would have put one-tenth the focus into football during the decades it was satisfied with a nationally elite basketball program, Memorial would be more than a graveyard.

And how many quality football players have left the state through the decades because, other than a private school that could pick and choose the best of the best from the Midwest, or the prospect of stomaching the stench in Lafayette, there was no school with the state name incorporated into the title its institution that invested their passion and dollars into football?

Please attempt to tell me the majority of the fan base at IU was losing sleep over not making a Holiday Bowl when Assembly Hall was the most rocking sports site in the entire Midwest and putting out teams that were talented enough to legitimately contending for banners every other season?

And in my humble opinion, why would a top football prospect put his sights on attending IU when Bobby Knight and basketball was simply the only tale in town and capturing headline after headline(nationally and locally)? I would conclude a lot of those very good football players did go to Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and maybe a handful to ND.

Lastly, even with pockets of sizable population and hundreds of middle schools and high schools that have supported football and played the game skillfully and with great passion for eons of Friday nights under the lights, Indiana is still a state that lacks a huge metropolitan base. We don’t have a Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago that provides at least one giant pool of potential recruits to add to the many mid-sized pockets(Gary, Hammond, East Chicago, South Bend, Fort Wayne, Evansville, Lafayette, etc).

Indy’s population is blossoming and I’m sure, in time(a couple decades), IU will still not be able to reap the rewards of such growth in numbers.

Wilson’s task is monumental. He will have to recruit beyond the borders because there are already two football programs in the state, and many powerhouse programs within a three hour car trip Indiana’s central point, that are monumentally more attractive programs to a top football prospect. I would estimate consolidation as being very low on the list as the fundamental cause our forty year lag.

Overall population numbers, existing colleges in the state with grandeur football history, the lack of a robust city to feed off, and our hardwood history in Bloomington, will continue to be the main impediment to progress.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 12:10 PM EDT

You must also look at the educational programs available at the institution and their attractiveness/unattractiveness to the potential recruit.

Are football and basketball players cut from the same mold? If they are not of the quality talent to likely have an opportunity to play beyond college, what variances in educational opportunities at the schools on their lists play into their decision process?

Even a moderately successful football program may not be enough to sway a recruit away from a school that offers an equally strong reputation at the sport along with educational programs more suited to the beyond college aspirations of the said prospect. Business, Law, Communications, Genetics, Computer Science, Journalism, Engineering, Architecture, Aerospace…? Do athletes no longer pursue these challenges that can play into decisions? IU can’t be everything to every recruit even within the small pool of candidates available compared to more populous areas or states the size of Texas.

Are the demands of the sport so great that they all must major in Sports Communication with the far-reaching hopes working on the Big 10 Network when post-college football opportunities no longer appear a reality?

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 12:29 PM EDT

Lastly(again), would I ever take back the storied success in basketball that put Indiana on the map if it would have made IU more attractive the average football prospect this state(now or in the future)? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!

I’ll take the great memories over the dollars in the stands that would have been squandered on overblown salaries and the lining of administrators pockets more than lowering the price a student’s tuition.

There are no guarantees of success in the ultra competitive(and often corrupted) world of college athletics. I’m grateful for how much a clean-nosed school tucked in the limestone hills of southern Indiana could provide this homegrown hick that has always loved his state and the great traditions and lessons grown from its good people.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 12:39 PM EDT

And you’re one of those good people, Clarion. I disagree with you, but I know in my heart of hearts, you are good as gold at the core your corny, corncob, brilliant Hoosier mind. You are a witty, gritty, handful of Big Red pride.

THE END.

Chris
Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 1:52 PM EDT

No HDMI port on my dadgum PC, which really surprises me. I tried using the ethernet cable but I can’t go thru the TV that way. My PC is a 1 year old Toshiba, nice computer, but I don’t get why it has no HD….well, anyhow, my only hope now is to pause the game when I leave for work, & hope it will still be there, able to be picked up where I left off. Fat chance! I’m sure I’ll get plenty of in-depth game analysis in here though!

Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 2:02 PM EDT

It’s one of the ‘must haves’ when I buy anymore.

Comments