Zeller on Sporting News college basketball preview cover

24 comments by   |   Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 7:37 pm EDT

Cody Zeller has been and will continue to be on a lot of college basketball preview covers, but heres one from the Sporting News that hit the Twitter waves today. Not sure if that means The Sporting News is picking Indiana No. 1, but have to presume the Hoosiers will be close to the top.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
byrd
Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 8:37 PM EDT

AWESOME
Lets kick some a$$ HOOSIERS !!!!

Chet
Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 8:51 PM EDT

We are definitely in the conversation again. It’s been a while.

Debbie
Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 10:18 PM EDT

Those arms are buff. He’s bulked up. Now go kick butt!

Hoosier Clarion
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 12:19 PM EDT

No doubt his physical look is good but it is his mental approach I think makes him dominate.

Chris K.
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 1:26 PM EDT

I’m cautiously optimistic. We will score in droves, but defense was rather sub par last year, & I don’t see why it will be significantly better this year. I was hoping that Wattford would go & take his matador defense with him, & I was counting on Ron Patterson contributing defensively, but neither did/will happen, so I’m quite concerned about team defense costing us big time. Hopefully I’m wrong, & won’t be saying I told you so in 6 months.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 3:33 PM EDT

You hit it the nail on the head, Clarion. That’s what sets cody apart. He has a motor that doesn’t quit and a crafty cerebral calmness in his demeanor. If he doesn’t at first outplay you, he’ll no less sooner out-think you, and the final result is most often in his favor.

I often wonder if he has ever lost his temper..Cody exudes the best type of fear into an opponent. Dominate without bullying..Dominate through skill, intellect, and quiet confidence that is reflected in the pride your effort. Then again, sometimes I just want to scream through the television…GET MAD, CODY!…GET ANGRY when they call two cheap-ass foul on you at Atlanta! THROW A DEVAN DUMES ELBOW FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE! Hell, throw a couple f*$#ing elbows!

Reminds me of ‘Establishment’ again…Remember when Kellenberger wrote that lengthy piece of BS over the Elston tripping of a Northwestern player? Talk about Appalachian Establishment gone goofy Tuesday on his own ego…Wow…just..wow. I’m suddenly having a vision…Seth Davis got caught in a switch and is guarding Cody in the blocks…Devan Dumes enters dream and takes a Cody elbow where no elbow has gone before.

cws
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 4:23 PM EDT

I think that picture is fake. Looks like they superimposed his face on someone’s body. His arms definitely were not that big last year.

Chet
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 4:29 PM EDT

Wow, you mean he looks different at 19 with a year of collegiate diet and weight training than he did at 18 coming out of high school?

I’m sure you’re right.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 4:44 PM EDT

I hope they didn’t doctor the shot. Maybe he’s been pounding the weights…? I thought he was showing signs of buffing up in the shoulders and arms last year. He’s a solid physical specimen from head to toe..Have you ever noticed the thickness in his lower legs? Pretty easy to enhance the arms with the ‘stretch’ function on Photoshop or similar software. Adding extra shadowing and contrast values would also create more definition.

It’s still a great shot despite moronic photo editors that play around giving Dolly Parton extra cleavage.

Chet
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 5:03 PM EDT

I’m pretty confident that’s the Cody we’ll see at tipoff.

Hoosier Clarion
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 5:14 PM EDT

I don’t care if it is doctored or not. We all know what we are getting when he takes position on the floor. Pictures of opposing fans will have to be photo shopped to hide the despair on their faces.

TsaoTsuG
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 6:19 PM EDT

Like everyone else, I anticipate a great season and the making of a legendary Hoosier figure in Cody…

Having said that; on a Friday prior to a critical football game against a tough B1G opponent, right at the beginning of the conference season and the hopes of thousands (literally) of IU fans that this year mark a great turn around for Hoosier football?

Pardon my disappointment in what I would hope is the order of priorities. Just seems a bit more balance in judgment in all sports Hoosier would be a good thing.

(Please, don’t bother sending in the postings some will send stating that you don’t give a d__n about football…I know some of you feel this way and acknowledge it. But, IMHO the selection and interest for Hoosier Scoop should be more balanced and aimed to a wider range of sports interests, especially during the season). Do I enjoy and want stories such as the one featuring Cody and Hoosier basketball? Yes! Do I think a review from a magazine story about the Hoosiers should take precedence over the football Hoosiers *on the day before* they play their B1G opener vs a good, undefeated Northwestern team? Absolutely not!

Maybe if more of us make our feelings about football being relegated to the hind t_t known and insist on it, that in itself may be a significant contribution to our Hoosier football in a tangible and very real way.

Go Hoosiers (football, soccer,…and basketball!)

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 6:41 PM EDT

I’m pretty confident Geoff enhances his stats.

Dunbar
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 9:49 PM EDT

Then ignore this story, TTG. This is not a football-only website, in case you haven’t noticed. Go park yourself on the Peegs football board and there won’t be any mention of these scary, basketball-only magazine covers. What in the world is there to say about the game tomorrow, anyway? Do you want a heated discussion on if IU can hold NW under the 59 they put up last year? You are the worst. The ultimate contrarian. And this, even by your standards, makes no sense. Please start triple and quadruple reading your posts before you send them. Your second sentence manages to be both a sentence fragment and a run-on…well done, sir. You make zero sense.

Hoosier Clarion
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 10:22 PM EDT

…it is a blog…you can say damn near anything you want…with or without good sentence structure, punctuation or reason…

Geoff
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 12:42 AM EDT

Amen Clarion… You can even say effect or affect at your own pleasing.

Geoff
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 12:49 AM EDT

Harvard, now that I’m entering my late 30′s I keep hearing on tv that my testosterone is waning and I will need to start enhancing… Is this true?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 2:36 AM EDT

You’ll know when it’s time. The significant other will begin to drop subtle hints.

Lord of the Late Night Snack
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 3:00 AM EDT

Get in my belly!

Chet
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 9:09 AM EDT

I eat a live honey badger every morning. It’s supposed to be good for that kind of thing.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 1:18 PM EDT

There are still a few rare mornings that I wake up fully invigorated.

Gene P.
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 1:54 PM EDT

Well, once again, TTG was right. The football team caught wind of this basketball post and totally lost their focus on today’s game. So much for all that momentum they gained after the Ball St. loss two weeks ago.

Keith
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 2:02 PM EDT

Very, very funny! :lol:

Crêpes Flambées
Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 8:26 PM EDT

Love the cover. Hey, when was the last time Crean was on it?

Comments

• W. Basketball. Indiana University Announces Curt Miller Resignation and Search for New Permanent Head Coach - Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass announced today that he has accepted the resignation of Curt Miller as IU's head women's
  • Varsity Club. Student-Athlete Spotlight: Audra Heilman, Field Hockey - Recently the Indiana University Varsity Club had the opportunity to speak with Audra Heilman, a senior on the IU field hockey team. Heilman discussed how important her scholarship
  • Dakich fires back at 'the Baby Baron' - The Indiana-Kentucky rivalry bubbled back to the surface today, at least in terms of public discussion.
  • Leaf talks recruiting, third Indiana visit - Six-foot-9 four-star forward T.J. Leaf talks with Peegs.com about where his recruitment stands
  • Kenny Williams looks ahead to visits, outlines plan for trimming list -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — His Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) career may have ended with a loss in the Peach Jam semifinals, but class of 2015 guard Kenny Williams

• Report: Indiana offers 2015 guard Matt McQuaid -

After his recent decision to re-open his recruitment, Indiana has jumped into the mix for class of 2015 Duncanville (Tex.) guard Matt McQuaid. The 6-foot-5 guard, who had been

• De'Ron Davis updates recruitment - 2016 forward De'Ron Davis talked to AllHoosiers.com on Thursday to update his recruitment. He's hearing from a few new schools. Find out who they
  • Indiana offers SMU decommit McQuaid - Tom Crean offered Matt McQuaid a scholarship on Wednesday in
  • Women's Basketball Coach Curt Miller Resigns from Indiana