Former IU Defensive Tackle Emile Bass dies at age 26

8 comments by   |   Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 2:49 pm EDT

Former Indiana defensive tackle Emile Bass was found dead in his apartment on the west side of Bloomington on Tuesday according to Kenya Leday, the mother of one of his sons.

Leday said that the 26-year-old Bass was epileptic and police detectives on the scene determined a seizure to be the likely cause of death. He has been taken in for an autopsy and will be released Thursday morning, according to his mother. Funeral arrangements have not yet been set, but will be held in his hometown of Detroit.

Bass had been living in Michigan but returned to Indiana to train for a tryout for the Canadian Football League, Leday said. Bass lettered at Indiana as a defensive tackle in 2006 and 2007. He is survived by three young sons.

Related content: Read more in Football

Hoosier offense not satisfied with 42-point effort
Kickoff time, television assignment set for Maryland game
Knorr asks fans for patience, asks players for aggression
Player video from Monday's football availability
Covington project a work in progress for Hoosiers
Cheryl
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 6:14 PM EDT

I remember Emile from his football days as a kind gentle soul with a great big grin. He was the most patient student I can remember. Such sad news. RIP Emile. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, especially those boys.

theo
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:13 PM EDT

So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Emile.

Mike B
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:14 PM EDT

May his family & friends find peace.

Mike P.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 9:28 PM EDT

He had been back in Bloomington training with former Hoosier Jah Gilmore. RIP Emile.

Tish Mitchell
Friday, October 12, 2012 - 8:43 AM EDT

You will forever be missed Emile!! RIP

DETROIT GRANDMA BARRY
Monday, October 15, 2012 - 7:28 PM EDT

I can’t believe you’re gone, when in Detroit you always came to my house to eat. To his family my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Carole Bell
Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 4:20 PM EDT

Emile was a good friend to my son during their high school years and also an exceptional basketball player. I was really sadden to hear of his passing at such a young age. May you rest in peace young man. To Carmen and family I offer my condolences and prayers. May God bless and comfort you.

Kenya LeDay-Bass
Monday, October 29, 2012 - 12:54 PM EDT

I am so pleased to hear the great comments about Emile. He was someone that had flaws like us all but he had a special gift about him that made you truly love him. My heart is broken and and my life will never be the same, I can only hope that Emile JR. makes myself and his father proud in life as we would have pushed him to do regardless. Thanks again for the love and support of a wonderful man.

Comments

• W. Golf. Hoosiers Climb Leaderboard at Cougar Classic - Led by a 68 from senior Elizabeth Tong the IU women's golf team moved up the leaderboard on day two of the Powerade Cougar
  • M. Basketball. Catching Up With Hoosier Freshman Robert Johnson - Robert Johnson enters his freshman year with the Hoosiers. The 6-4 guard comes to IU from Benedictine Prep in Richmond, Virginia where he averaged 24.5 points and 4.6 rebounds
  • Coach TV: Wilson, Knorr meet the press - Two days after a second half collapse by the Hoosier defense in a 45-42 loss at Bowling Green, head
  • Video Reel: Brandon Knight - This past Friday night Peegs.com was at Noblesville H.S. to watch Indiana commit Brandon Knight
  • Q & A: Robert Johnson on fall workouts, benefits of Canada trip, more -

Indiana freshman guard Robert Johnson had a strong start to his college career as he averaged 9.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 2.2 steals, 1.6 turnovers in 24 minutes

• Big Ten’s top 25 players: 5-1 -

With the official start of practice less than three weeks away, UM Hoops and Inside the Hall have again partnered to bring you a preseason breakdown of the top 25 players in

• Albers Angle: Recruiting momentum - Indiana earned its first basketball commitment in the 2015 class on Wednesday. Are more
  • Milton cancels Illinois visit - 2015 guard Shake Milton cancelled his Illinois visit on Thursday, just one day after his friend, Juwan Morgan, committed to Indiana. Will Milton join Morgan at
  • B1G BOWL PROJECTIONS: POSTSEASONS ARE OVERRATED
  • Bowling Green 45, Indiana 42: The More Things Change...