Former IU Defensive Tackle Emile Bass dies at age 26

8 comments by   |   Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 2:49 pm EDT

Former Indiana defensive tackle Emile Bass was found dead in his apartment on the west side of Bloomington on Tuesday according to Kenya Leday, the mother of one of his sons.

Leday said that the 26-year-old Bass was epileptic and police detectives on the scene determined a seizure to be the likely cause of death. He has been taken in for an autopsy and will be released Thursday morning, according to his mother. Funeral arrangements have not yet been set, but will be held in his hometown of Detroit.

Bass had been living in Michigan but returned to Indiana to train for a tryout for the Canadian Football League, Leday said. Bass lettered at Indiana as a defensive tackle in 2006 and 2007. He is survived by three young sons.

Related content: Read more in Football

Indiana announces series with Cincinnati for 2021, 2022
Wilson to appear on ESPN on July 31
Coleman named to Doak Walker watch list
IU to open football season Aug. 30 at noon on ESPNews
Rahrig named to Rimington Trophy watch list
Cheryl
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 6:14 PM EDT

I remember Emile from his football days as a kind gentle soul with a great big grin. He was the most patient student I can remember. Such sad news. RIP Emile. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, especially those boys.

theo
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:13 PM EDT

So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Emile.

Mike B
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:14 PM EDT

May his family & friends find peace.

Mike P.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 9:28 PM EDT

He had been back in Bloomington training with former Hoosier Jah Gilmore. RIP Emile.

Tish Mitchell
Friday, October 12, 2012 - 8:43 AM EDT

You will forever be missed Emile!! RIP

DETROIT GRANDMA BARRY
Monday, October 15, 2012 - 7:28 PM EDT

I can’t believe you’re gone, when in Detroit you always came to my house to eat. To his family my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Carole Bell
Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 4:20 PM EDT

Emile was a good friend to my son during their high school years and also an exceptional basketball player. I was really sadden to hear of his passing at such a young age. May you rest in peace young man. To Carmen and family I offer my condolences and prayers. May God bless and comfort you.

Kenya LeDay-Bass
Monday, October 29, 2012 - 12:54 PM EDT

I am so pleased to hear the great comments about Emile. He was someone that had flaws like us all but he had a special gift about him that made you truly love him. My heart is broken and and my life will never be the same, I can only hope that Emile JR. makes myself and his father proud in life as we would have pushed him to do regardless. Thanks again for the love and support of a wonderful man.

Comments

• Football. Anthony Thompson to Attend 43rd Annual Big Ten Kickoff Luncheon Presented by Allstate and BMW - The Big Ten Conference announced the 14 former players that will be in attendance at the 2014 Big Ten Kickoff Luncheon presented by Allstate and BMW. Anthony Thompson will
  • W. Volleyball. Smooth Jazz Summer Edition - IU sophomore Jazzmine McDonald gives an inside look into the IU volleyball program with the first episode of "Smooth
  • Summer video: Shake Milton - Shake Milton has steadily risen up the Rivals150 and has become a big target this summer for Big 12 and Big Ten programs. Peegs.com
  • Hoosier Newsstand, July 24 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Brunk recruitment becoming a Big Ten affair -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — As the summer moves along, the recruitment of class of 2016 Southport center Joey Brunk continues to add new suitors. The 6-foot-9 big man added an

• Four-star guard Jimmy Whitt hearing from Indiana “a lot” -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Class of 2015 Columbia (Mo.) guard Jimmy Whitt has been one of the biggest risers in the national rankings thanks to his play this summer. The 6-foot-3

• Premier of Leonard documentary is July 29 - The world premier of the new documentary on IU legend Bobby 'Slick' Leonard will be Tuesday night July 29 at 7 p.m. at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Here's all the
  • Thon Maker Updates: Visits outline, and more - Thon Maker, the top-ranked player in 2016, continues to improve. His guardian spoke to AllHoosiers.com to update Maker's
  • The Thursday Thinker