Former IU Defensive Tackle Emile Bass dies at age 26

8 comments by   |   Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 2:49 pm EDT

Former Indiana defensive tackle Emile Bass was found dead in his apartment on the west side of Bloomington on Tuesday according to Kenya Leday, the mother of one of his sons.

Leday said that the 26-year-old Bass was epileptic and police detectives on the scene determined a seizure to be the likely cause of death. He has been taken in for an autopsy and will be released Thursday morning, according to his mother. Funeral arrangements have not yet been set, but will be held in his hometown of Detroit.

Bass had been living in Michigan but returned to Indiana to train for a tryout for the Canadian Football League, Leday said. Bass lettered at Indiana as a defensive tackle in 2006 and 2007. He is survived by three young sons.

Related content: Read more in Football

Scoop Talk: We're ready for football (finally)
IU receives brief ( and very small) cameo in new college football playoff commercial
Laray Smith moving from running back to corner
Kevin Wilson radio show updates
No bad blood between Shane Wynn, Indiana State
Cheryl
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 6:14 PM EDT

I remember Emile from his football days as a kind gentle soul with a great big grin. He was the most patient student I can remember. Such sad news. RIP Emile. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, especially those boys.

theo
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:13 PM EDT

So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Emile.

Mike B
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:14 PM EDT

May his family & friends find peace.

Mike P.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 9:28 PM EDT

He had been back in Bloomington training with former Hoosier Jah Gilmore. RIP Emile.

Tish Mitchell
Friday, October 12, 2012 - 8:43 AM EDT

You will forever be missed Emile!! RIP

DETROIT GRANDMA BARRY
Monday, October 15, 2012 - 7:28 PM EDT

I can’t believe you’re gone, when in Detroit you always came to my house to eat. To his family my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Carole Bell
Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 4:20 PM EDT

Emile was a good friend to my son during their high school years and also an exceptional basketball player. I was really sadden to hear of his passing at such a young age. May you rest in peace young man. To Carmen and family I offer my condolences and prayers. May God bless and comfort you.

Kenya LeDay-Bass
Monday, October 29, 2012 - 12:54 PM EDT

I am so pleased to hear the great comments about Emile. He was someone that had flaws like us all but he had a special gift about him that made you truly love him. My heart is broken and and my life will never be the same, I can only hope that Emile JR. makes myself and his father proud in life as we would have pushed him to do regardless. Thanks again for the love and support of a wonderful man.

Comments

• M. Soccer. Hoosiers, No. 9 Hoyas Play to 1-1 Tie - The Indiana University men's soccer team opened its 2014 campaign with a 1-1 tie against the No. 9 Georgetown Hoyas Friday night on Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium
  • Field Hockey. Indiana Field Hockey Wins Season Opener, 3-2 - The Indiana field hockey team captured its first win of the season against New Hampshire, 3-2. The Hoosiers (1-0) were led by senior Audra Heilman who recorded a hat-trick with
  • Oladipo declares for the NBA - Indiana junior Victor Oladipo this afternoon announced he will be going to the NBA. IU coach Tom Crean
  • Video: Victor Oladipo headed to NBA - Earlier this afternoon Indiana junior Victor Oladipo joined head coach Tom Crean at Assembly Hall to
  • Indiana announces 2014-2015 basketball schedule -

Indiana on Friday evening released its non-conference schedule for this upcoming season, completing the Hoosiers’ 2014-2015 slate. The 13-game lineup includes the likes

• An early look at the 2014-2015 backcourt -

We took an early look at the 2014-2015 frontcourt on Thursday and today, the focus shifts to the backcourt, which is expected to be a major strength for Indiana. We’ll have

• Indiana releases non-conference schedule - Indiana released its full non-conference basketball schedule on Friday. See the details
  • REMINDER: Live Chat Friday at Noon - We will host our first live chat of the year at noon Friday on the FREE Message Board. Anyone can join. Hope to see you
  • Quest for Nine: The Indiana Men's Soccer 2014 Season Preview