Former IU Defensive Tackle Emile Bass dies at age 26

8 comments by   |   Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 2:49 pm EDT

Former Indiana defensive tackle Emile Bass was found dead in his apartment on the west side of Bloomington on Tuesday according to Kenya Leday, the mother of one of his sons.

Leday said that the 26-year-old Bass was epileptic and police detectives on the scene determined a seizure to be the likely cause of death. He has been taken in for an autopsy and will be released Thursday morning, according to his mother. Funeral arrangements have not yet been set, but will be held in his hometown of Detroit.

Bass had been living in Michigan but returned to Indiana to train for a tryout for the Canadian Football League, Leday said. Bass lettered at Indiana as a defensive tackle in 2006 and 2007. He is survived by three young sons.

Related content: Read more in Football

ScoopTalk: Day 2 in Chicago — more stuff about Sudfeld
ScoopTalk: Day 1 in Chicago
Big Ten Media Day: Indiana video from Day 1
Big Ten Media Day: Kevin Wilson transcript
Big Ten Media Day Ticker
Cheryl
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 6:14 PM EDT

I remember Emile from his football days as a kind gentle soul with a great big grin. He was the most patient student I can remember. Such sad news. RIP Emile. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, especially those boys.

theo
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:13 PM EDT

So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Emile.

Mike B
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:14 PM EDT

May his family & friends find peace.

Mike P.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 9:28 PM EDT

He had been back in Bloomington training with former Hoosier Jah Gilmore. RIP Emile.

Tish Mitchell
Friday, October 12, 2012 - 8:43 AM EDT

You will forever be missed Emile!! RIP

DETROIT GRANDMA BARRY
Monday, October 15, 2012 - 7:28 PM EDT

I can’t believe you’re gone, when in Detroit you always came to my house to eat. To his family my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Carole Bell
Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 4:20 PM EDT

Emile was a good friend to my son during their high school years and also an exceptional basketball player. I was really sadden to hear of his passing at such a young age. May you rest in peace young man. To Carmen and family I offer my condolences and prayers. May God bless and comfort you.

Kenya LeDay-Bass
Monday, October 29, 2012 - 12:54 PM EDT

I am so pleased to hear the great comments about Emile. He was someone that had flaws like us all but he had a special gift about him that made you truly love him. My heart is broken and and my life will never be the same, I can only hope that Emile JR. makes myself and his father proud in life as we would have pushed him to do regardless. Thanks again for the love and support of a wonderful man.

Comments

• M. Soccer. Yarborough Named Head Coach at Stetson - Indiana University assistant coach Ernie Yarborough named head coach at Stetson
  • Football. TODAY: Coach Wilson at ESPN - #IUFB head coach Kevin Wilson is in Bristol Thursday, July 31, for part of the #ESPNB1G Carwash. Follow @HoosierFootball on Twitter for complete
  • FSU adds four-star Locksley to crowded QB class - In an interesting turn of events, four-star quarterback Kai Locksley from Baltimore (Md.) Gilman school committed to Florida State over
  • Berry enjoys MSU experience - Lorain, Ohio three-star Rashod Berry holds 10 scholarship offers, but decided to use his last visit of the summer to see a program that has
  • What to watch for: Indiana in Montreal -

Indiana begins a five-game tour over six days in Montreal, Canada (with one game in Ottawa) on Aug. 8 which will be the first foreign trip for the program since 2007.

• 2015 guard Donovan Mitchell trims list to 10 schools -

One of the breakout stars of July, class of 2015 Brewster Academy (N.H.) guard Donovan Mitchell, trimmed his list of schools to 10 on Thursday morning. Mitchell, a 6-foot-3

• Derrick Rose calls Oladipo 'big-time talent' - Victor Oladipo is a humble young player, but other NBA stars are talking notice of
  • Indiana among final 10 for Donovan Mitchell - 2015 guard Donovan Mitchell, the fastest-rising guard in the country, cut his list to 10 on Thursday, and Indiana made the
  • Spoiler Alert: TCQ Predicts #IUFB Season