Former IU Defensive Tackle Emile Bass dies at age 26

8 comments by   |   Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 2:49 pm EDT

Former Indiana defensive tackle Emile Bass was found dead in his apartment on the west side of Bloomington on Tuesday according to Kenya Leday, the mother of one of his sons.

Leday said that the 26-year-old Bass was epileptic and police detectives on the scene determined a seizure to be the likely cause of death. He has been taken in for an autopsy and will be released Thursday morning, according to his mother. Funeral arrangements have not yet been set, but will be held in his hometown of Detroit.

Bass had been living in Michigan but returned to Indiana to train for a tryout for the Canadian Football League, Leday said. Bass lettered at Indiana as a defensive tackle in 2006 and 2007. He is survived by three young sons.

Related content: Read more in Football

Jason Spriggs still "a little gimpy," consecutive start streak in jeopardy
Only minor changes to this week's Indiana depth chart
'Kick It With The Specialists' put on hold
Indiana seeking answers for inconsistent passing game
This and that from Kevin Wilson's weekly press conference
Cheryl
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 6:14 PM EDT

I remember Emile from his football days as a kind gentle soul with a great big grin. He was the most patient student I can remember. Such sad news. RIP Emile. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, especially those boys.

theo
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:13 PM EDT

So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Emile.

Mike B
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 7:14 PM EDT

May his family & friends find peace.

Mike P.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 9:28 PM EDT

He had been back in Bloomington training with former Hoosier Jah Gilmore. RIP Emile.

Tish Mitchell
Friday, October 12, 2012 - 8:43 AM EDT

You will forever be missed Emile!! RIP

DETROIT GRANDMA BARRY
Monday, October 15, 2012 - 7:28 PM EDT

I can’t believe you’re gone, when in Detroit you always came to my house to eat. To his family my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Carole Bell
Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 4:20 PM EDT

Emile was a good friend to my son during their high school years and also an exceptional basketball player. I was really sadden to hear of his passing at such a young age. May you rest in peace young man. To Carmen and family I offer my condolences and prayers. May God bless and comfort you.

Kenya LeDay-Bass
Monday, October 29, 2012 - 12:54 PM EDT

I am so pleased to hear the great comments about Emile. He was someone that had flaws like us all but he had a special gift about him that made you truly love him. My heart is broken and and my life will never be the same, I can only hope that Emile JR. makes myself and his father proud in life as we would have pushed him to do regardless. Thanks again for the love and support of a wonderful man.

Comments

• W. Soccer. IUWS Alum Velasquez Qualifies For World Cup - Indiana women's soccer alum and 2013 graduate Orianica Velasquez has helped her home country of Colombia qualify for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. If she is selected for the
  • W. Volleyball. Smooth Jazz: Big Ten Preparation - On this weeks episode of Smooth Jazz, sophomore Jazzmine McDonald gives a behind the scenes look at the preparation leading up to the Hoosiers first Big Ten
  • Hoosier Newsstand, Sep. 30 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • From the road: Florida - Korey Charles looked like the complete package, says Adam Krohn, who observed four teams from North Florida over the
  • 2014-2015 ITH season preview: Ohio State Buckeyes -

With the start of college basketball season on the horizon, we’ll be taking a long look at the conference at large as well as Indiana’s roster over the next month. Today,

• 2014-2015 ITH season preview: Michigan State Spartans -

• NBA Daily Cheat Sheet: September 30 - Everything you need to know about the New Orleans
  • Albers Angle: Basketball recruiting tidbits - Indiana hosted an official visitor last weekend and will check in on some 2016 kids soon. Get updated
  • The Indianapolis CYO Won't Let Girls Kick Field Goals, For Some Reason