Wilson returns admiration for Meyer, and other notes from the press conference

In his press conference Monday, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer called Indiana coach Kevin Wilson “an innovator,” and said he occasionally stole things from the former Oklahoma offensive coordinator’s system.

Wilson seemed somewhat taken aback by the compliment, but said he has always been impressed by Meyer’s coaching style as well. Though both men are known as exceptional x’s and o’s coaches because of what they have done to make their spread offenses effective, Wilson said that what he believes is most important and what he believes Meyer does well is get the most out of his players.

“It’s nice to be an innovator, but I’m not an innovator as much as we’re trying to get guys to play hard and play physical,” Wilson said. “If you watch Coach Meyer and watch them coach and watch them do things, that’s what they’re doing. That’s kind of in the realm of what we’re trying to do.  It’s nice to have schemes or concepts. We attacked Michigan State last week differently than most people because our dynamic and our playmakers give us a chance. … What I like about coach Meyer is he’s been very innovative from what he does, but there’s a brand of football that’s toughness, attitude, playing good defense and coming at you. … That’s still the essence of football. You can window dress it all you want. Shift formation, I-formation, huddle up, not huddle, three-man, four-man, two-deep, quarters. It doesn’t matter. It’s a physical, combative game, played hard, and that’s what I think he’s got going on at Ohio State now. That’s what we’re getting to at our place is bringing the physicality and toughness. To me, it’s nice to be thinking you’re innovative, his offense is one of the premier, but if you cut all of the window dressing out, there’s fundamentals and basics that win. That’s what they do at Ohio State. That’s what we’re trying to do.”

Wilson and Meyer coached against each other twice, first in 2001 when Wilson was at Northwestern and Meyer was the head coach at Bowling Green. Wilson said Bowling Green won the game on a two-point conversion using the exact same reverse play Wilson used when the Hoosiers scored a two-point conversion on Northwestern two weeks ago. They also played in the 2009 BCS National Championship Game when Meyer was at Florida. The Gators won that game to give Meyer his second title in Gainesville.

Other notes from Wilson’s press conference

— Wilson said punter Mitchell Voss will miss several weeks with a hairline fracture in his ankle. Erich Toth will continue to be the punter.

—  Wilson and all of Indiana’s coaches have gushed all weekend about Braxton Miller all week.

“He’s the guy that makes it go,” Wilson said. “Because of his ability, he’s the best runner on the field, and he’s also a guy that can throw the thing. Very seldom do you find guys who really can throw that can run or guys that can really run that can throw. He’s a little bit more of a dynamic runner than a thrower, but he throws the ball well and you have to commit so many guys up there, a little bit like you’re playing Denard Robinson. Sometimes you’re guys can get your eye off your target. You have to commit so many guys to the run, whether you’re shadowing or spying him or just canceling gaps putting people on him, as soon as somebody gets his eyes off the receiver, here comes the play-action pass and you really can get burned.”

— Wide receiver Kofi Hughes has been limited with bruising in his back after taking a hard hit in Saturday’s game. Wilson’s explanation of the injury was entertaining but also sort of difficult to interpret.

“If he was a horse, they’d have shot him,” Wilson said.”He’s lucky he’s not equestrian, because a greedy vet would’ve took him out the other day. He would’ve been long gone. He’s got a bruise, a little limited right now. We’ll see as it goes, but God bless him that God made him a man instead of an equestrian, because he would’ve been out. But he’s got a bruise. It’s a back deal, he got hit in the back on the deal, helmet to the back. It was actually by his shoulder. It looked like a kind of a glancing blow. I think he’ll be OK. He’s been a little limited the first two days, but he’ll need to get a good go tomorrow, and get rolling Thursday and get in a rhythm.”

— Linebacker Chase Hoobler still isn’t practicing because of a nerve issue in his neck/back.

“He still has not practiced coming off his neck deal,” Wilson said. “Until he gets going, he’s missed enough. My opinion now is it’s going to take him maybe a little longer to get his feet back because he’s missed three to four weeks. He’s running, and doing things but he’s not gotten the range of motion where our doctors (will clear him.)”

— Wilson was asked about the offensive inconsistency and why the Hoosiers were so good in one half the last two weeks and so bad in the other. The Hoosiers scored zero points in the first half against Northwestern, 29 in the second. Against Michigan State, they scored 27 points in the first half, zero in the second.

“I just think it’s easy to be a little bit off,” Wilson said. “Execution, play-calling, line of scrimmage, quarterback, all the guys in sync, protection run, perimeter blocking when you’re running, protection when you’re throwing, quarterback making decisions, it just takes a little bit to be off. When you’re playing a good defense, we played two teams that were decent, one of them extremely good. Those guys Saturday are pretty good. … To get what we could and work those, we got a chance. I think it was a lack of maturity, focus. it’s not a pep talk. There were some plays we ran in the second half were the same as the first half. The ball didn’t get delivered, running game wasn’t quite as good. They were gonna make it difficult to run. That was tough too, because you want to try to work the clock because you know you’re up. But part of our deal, if we’re not going fast, we’re struggling against you, we gotta go fast, so you’re sitting there, ‘how do you balance that?’ You gotta work the clock make the game slow, but you go slow, they’re teeing off coming at us. You go fast, you don’t execute, it’s 30-40 seconds and the defense is back out there. Against it’s a good defense, it’s a little bit harder. I wish there was a magic wand, magic potion. There’s plays that we’re doing sometimes work, sometimes don’t. It’s just 11 guys playing as one. When we click as one, we’re not great, but we’re pretty good. But when one guy’s a little off, it can be enough to get us out of rhythm and be third and long.”

• davis says:

If Wilson ever becomes a legendary football coach, his quotes will be remembered right along with Yogi Berra’s. An equestrian is indeed a man- one that rides a horse (when the adjective is used substantively as a noun).

• Geoff says:

Yep funny guy… Wonder if it was intentional dumb humor or intentional humor with unintentional vocabulary?

Is Wilson an equine’s ass?

• TsaoTsuG says:

Davis- most of KW’s statements are worthy of filing. His descriptions of the game of football and what it asks for from its participants are classics of ‘street philosophy’ that remind me of statements BK used to make in his more thoughtful moments. Then, his (KW’s) understated ‘British’- South Carolina understated sense of humor can be very amusing as well. As in ‘They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?’

That, at least to me, is what makes some characters so worth following, how much they are a part of our popular culture.

• Chet says:

I don’t think CKW has any history of living in South Carolina. I believe he is from Maiden, NC, not too far from my humble abode.

Aside from having ‘Carolina’ in the name the two states don’t have much in common. We had a Nobel Prize winner in chemistry named yesterday. In SC they don’t put salt on the tables due to safety issues.

I worked in SC for 7 years. In most restaurants (I am not making this up) menus offer “cold slaw” and “toss salad” (I assume Jeb Toss was a Civil War hero). Another regular menu offering is an “aplenty”. It is like a “platter” only, instead including a salad or cole slaw, it includes the entree, French fries, and onion rings. You should wash this down with ‘sweet tea’ loaded with so much sugar no more can dissolve.

I can’t imagine why obesity and heart disease is such a problem. I never saw so many fat people in my life.

I digress, CKW grew up in NC and attended UNC before taking a handful of coaching gigs at various levels around the state including at UNC while he picked up his masters degree. I don’t think he ever worked in South Carolina.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Hell Chet I’ve eaten tons of cold slaw. Must have been cold slaw, it was the fridge. Now I am not to sure about that toss salad but it must be true too as I’ve spent many days in S.C. although I fail to remember the ingredients. Much like the fellow at a restaurant who orders a bowl of chili and proclaims “where is the macaroni”. Makes me chuckle.

• Chet says:

One of the statewide favorites (as common as a hamburger in Indiana) is a ‘chili cheese aplenty. That’s a cheeseburger (the cheese is that gooey orange/yellow stuff you pour), smothered in canned chili, served with French fries (also smothered in ‘cheese’ and canned chili), with onion rings and ‘sweet tea’.

It looks like it should be served in a trough.

I was about 30 when I went to work there. I worked out of one of the largest medical centers in the state. Fifty percent of the people I worked with had the same attitudes toward racial issues as their grandfathers would have had in the South in 1958. I can honestly say that I never met as many backward bigots in 20+ years in Indiana as I met my first week of work in South Carolina.

When the system hired it’s first black paramedic they actually felt the need to have a staff meeting to advise my co-workers to be more judicious when using the ‘N-word’ around the new employee.

I choose to commute 60 miles to work as I did not want my children growing up and attending schools around a populace as backward as that.

We used to joke that there was a time change between Asheville and South Carolina…50 years.

Sorry, to venture so far off track…had a little cultural flashback, there.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Those (cultural) off-ramps are fun. I remember one Labor Day about twenty years ago writing a story about the cultural meaning of sausages during Labor Day in Chicago. Each ethnic community has their own version; the Mexicans have their ‘chorizo’ whihc is different from South American ‘chorizo’ (which has its own spicing’, the Italians have their Italian sausage, Greeks have their, the Polish theirs, the Bulgarians and the Serbians, the Germans have their bratwurst and 100 other provincial types, Red Hots, and so on and on… I was covering all the ethnic groups in the park/beach on the North Side not too far from Wilson Ave and when I got there found this yellow cloud of smoke hovering over the entire area and this beautiful, wonderful, strong aroma of burning spices and wood and every kind of ground meat there is.

Never stopped thinking about how much that cloud was exactly what Chicago is. So I ended up writing a column that suggested replacing the three stars in the Chicago flag with a big, smoking sausage and the words “Chicago…the Big Chorizo” instead of ‘City of Big Shoulders’.

Anyway, digress away…we get pretty good and civilized when we begin discussing food. Maybe we should put together a “Hoosier Scoop Recipe Book”.

• Lord of the Glancing Win Blow says:

They could have put ‘Hoof’ down, but then they called in the whisperer.

• Chet says:

I took quite a few years of Spanish in school, most of which has parted from my brain. I do remember taking a semester at IU and the instructor was from Chile.

Well, let me tell you, that was a whole new language from the one I had been studying for several years. I may have been more prepared to converse with a Chilean but it otherwise just left me confused.

• Lord of the Glancing Win Blow says:

CORRECTION

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Must say though the time(work and leisure)I spent in SC I thoroughly enjoyed. Met some real characters. All but 2 were genuine and those 2 were transplants from much farther up the seaboard. The other southern state I enjoy as much or more than SC is the “show me” state. The people living around and in the Ozarks are fascinating to do business with.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Chet- Yes, I know…I was raised right over the ‘hills’ (20,000+ Andes MTS) from Chile, in Argentina. Chile has a mix of indigenous (Araucans Patagones,Pampas), Spanish and a lot of German,central Europeans and Irish (their greatest hero was Bernardo O’Higgins).

As far as language, Buenos Aires (capital of Argentina)takes the prize. As a city, at one time 60% of its population had been born in Italy (ca 1910). A friend once jokingly described it as an Italian city, that speaks Spanish, admires the French, and wished they were English/ (or Americans). It basically had the same kind of immigration as New York and Chicago. They had a street language (developed in the more marginal sectors to hide their intent from the authorities) that combined Spanish, Italian and Portuguese and developed a New York/ Chicago ‘street’ talk known as Lunfardo that became the basis for the Tango’s lyrics. It’s a really humorous language, visuali-imagery based language. A guy may say the equivalent of, “I stepped in the lane with complete control and, at the last instant…as I’m about to dunk, the dwarf in the stripes calls ‘3-seconds’and waves it off,…man, was I sweating on the trip back!!”…to describe an episode of heavy breathing with his lady.

Beautiful, colorful people and places, both Argentina and Chile…and great, great food. The meat is to die for (all grass fed) and some incredible, not yet too discovered wines.

• TsaoTsuG says:

BTW- You are absolutely right about KW being from NC rather than SC. My mistake. And yes, if there are 20 Spanish speaking Latin American nations, there are about 30 versions of Spanish. Its really hard to sit and listen to a Mexican, a Costa Rican, a Puerto Rican, a Colombian, an Argentine and a Chilean talking to each other. They understand each other perfectly every fourth word…the rest they’re just trying to get it close.

• TsaoTsuG says:

HC…never spent time in the Ozarks and always wanted to. Been nearly everywhere in the US, but that area and always wanted to…I hear it is beautiful and different. The South I’ve known pretty well. Live in Louisville, traveled through Chet’s area (absolutely incredibly beautiful…one series of mini-climates after another, and have had family in the northern Rockies and the Northwest Pacific. Like Chet enjoying his motorcycle, I enjoy traveling by train. Incredible!!!…I’ve traveled from Chicago to Portland across the northern border (on the Empire Builder)(Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho and Oregon and Washington; have family from Montana and alsoin Oregon. What a country!

And, one of the most unbelievable trips I’ve ever taken was from LA to Portland on the Coast Starlight. For 500 miles you are riding no more than 50-100 yards from the Pacific beaches (along US1), San Francisco, around Mt. Kashka and up the Cascades for the next 8 hours looking down on the valleys…wow. Trains are a great, comfortable and, relatively, inexpensive way to travel and relax, eat decently, see the country and meet a lot of different people. Next, think I’ll try the Chicago-New Orleans-LA before heading to Portland.

• HoosierFan12 says:

I’m Mexican and believe me, the Spanish we speak is very different from the Spanish that other south American countries speak. We can still understand each other perfectly fine though. It’s almost similar to having someone from the deep south in Louisiana speak to let’s say an Australian person (If that’s even possible). Anyways, why does this blog always seem to move away from the main topic into something totally unrelated to IU Football?

• Lord of the Glancing Win Blow says:

• Chet says:

TTG, I have a good friend who was born in Argentina, the offspring of a Spanish mother and an Italian father.

• TsaoTsuG says:

HoosierFan12 (HinchHoosier12)- Porque no? (Why not?). Somos un monton de individuos que compartimos nuestra pasion por el football de los Hoosiers y, por lo tanto, nos hacemos amigos y conversamos 1) de los Hoosiers y 2) de cualquier cosa que se nos antoja…y porque no? No creo que existan reglas que uno no pueda hacerlo. Si ud. quiere lo incluimos con placer; y, si no, tenga la gentileza de saltearnos y no leernos. El espacio del cybernet aca en Scoop no nos cuesta nada. De modo, bienvenido.

(HoosierFan12- We are a bunch of individuals who share a passion and love for Hoosier football, become friends and exchange dialogue on 1) the Hoosiers and 2) anything else that hits us. Why not? There are no rules that prohibit this. If you’d like, we’d be happy to include you; and, if not, all you need to do is skip right over (our posts) and not read us. They cybernet space here on Scoop is free and doesn’t cost us anything(I think). Either way, welcome).

I generally agree with your statement about regional dialect and tone differences (we can understand each other), but there are some significant differences. I know I could speak Lunfardo (Buenos Aires street dialect) and it would pose some difficulty to understand for some because of vocabulary and tonal differences, as well as some pronunciation. Same can be said of English. I have to listen for a bit to capture the tones and some vocabulary of a Brit, a Scot, an Irishman or an Aussie and, sometimes, the same is true of regionalisms within the US, such as urban English and some Boston tones and expressionsn.) Differences are a universal factor that make life fun.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Chet- There’s a good joke Argentines like to tell that Argentina is a great country with tremendous wealth, natural resources, rivers, grasslands, a fertile earth, minerals, cattle, metals. a temperate climate (similar to the US) and weather… The only problem with it…Argentines (though I am one) live there.

For some reason, they just can not put it together…

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

HoosierFan12-

I agree. Let’s talk some football!

Another Fall of Hoosier Football

So set the clocks back to lengthen the fall day,
    Cast your hopes of Hoosier bowl games away…
    Fill the trick-or-treat basket for the kiddies seeking treats,
    The horror’s almost over for the men in gridiron cleats.

Bundle in wool blankets, the air grows cold, the season,
    chuck it!
    As always our consolation prize, found in Old Oaken Bucket…

The fans grow tired as the restless autumn leaves,
    Hopeful dreams break free from the same old stubborn trees..
    Rake again the huge pile of losses into bag few victories our lovin’
    Set the timer to next year, this turkey’s in the oven..

Upon dormant field JPat shouts a final sarcastic cheer,
    Not without thanks for all that matters, IU basketball is echoing near.
    The Memorial sky darkens, a wintry sullenness begins to loom,
    Yesteryear’s dark shadows have found their familiar gloom..

In the stands some silly snowflakes drift down in mocking bliss,
    A wintry bite of harsh reality, give the pigskin her bedtime kiss.
    Put her on the dusty shelf, sing her a ‘Dandy Don’ tune tonight,
    The football party’s over, don’t forget turn out the light.

• HoosierFan12 says:

Who’s ready for the upset in Bloomington this weekend!?? Ok, that was bad joke…but I do think that we will have one (maybe even two) more wins this season! We really need the defense to keep improving though and the offense to be effective the entire game, not just one or two quarters. I’m really hoping Rashard Fant and David Kenney commit to IU, they would really help our defense!

• Chet says:

HoosierFan12, I’m all with you. Lead us by example. Post something interesting about IU football for us. I didn’t have anything to post regarding football or I certainly would have. I was interested in responding to a related topic. Should I not have posted at all?

Is your point that we shouldn’t post at all if it’s not specific to IU football?

To think that some folks were claiming a while back that Geoff was trying to run the Scoop.

• Chet says:

I hope they can put up the kind of effort they did in the first half last week. That was certainly a step in the right direction (IMHO).

• Geoff says:

Trying?!

¿Intentar?!

• Hoosier Clarion says:

TTG, Other than 1 time riding in a modified RR pickup with an undercarriage with wheels for rail I’ve never ridden on a train. I suspect I would enjoy it as much as you have stated because of our American scenery. I do know this I will never go on another cruise again as I found it confining to be out in the middle of the blue and someone other than me being in control. Ya the food is tremendous but I have good food at home and I did spend time with the bride but I also can do that at home, even shooting trap from the back of the boat was an activity entertaining to me but I also do that at home. With train travel I could get off at 1 of the frequent stops if I wished. A cruise is just not my cup of tea but my wife thinks different and finds it to her liking and has been on a couple of more(but w/o me).

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

And you know why it saved the NFL...? Because within the five min [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Get used to it, frat rat. Aging population....longer life expectancy [...]

• Hoosier 86:

There's too many bitter old men on this site. They complain about eve [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies: