#Football   |   Recruiting

Darius Latham commits to Indiana

13 comments by   |   Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 10:37 pm EDT

Though the Indiana football squad season’ ended on Saturday, its impressive recruiting haul continued with the addition of another four-star recruit to the Class of 2013.

North Central defensive tackle Darius Latham, a four-star recruit according to Rivals.com, took a visit to Bloomington this weekend and announced his verbal commitment on his Twitter account on Sunday night.

Latham had originally committed to Wisconsin in July. The 6-foot-5, 291-pounder had chosen the Badgers over offers from a wide array of historical powerhouse programs, including Auburn, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Tennessee. However, Latham de-committed from Wisconsin in October and it has been widely presumed since that he would eventually end up committing to the Hoosiers.

According to North Central’s VarVee school website, Latham recorded 33 tackles this season, four sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss.

Related content: Read more in Football, Recruiting

Indiana announces series with Cincinnati for 2021, 2022
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Wilson to appear on ESPN on July 31
Coleman named to Doak Walker watch list
IU to open football season Aug. 30 at noon on ESPNews
phenomenal1
Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 11:33 PM EDT

Unbelievable. That will help for sure, but after over a century of pop warner defense in bloomington, I have learned my lesson and hereby refuse to get my hopes up.

Chet
Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 11:44 PM EDT

p1, now’s the time. I’v been in the game for decades but I can feel the change. We’re not just building a bowl team, we’re building a Rose Bowl team.

Count on it.

TsaoTsuG
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 12:52 AM EDT

We’re building a serious football team, and focusing on providing solid players to the defense. I agree with you Chet, I have felt it changing since we hired CKW and now feel others (besides a small group) are beginning to sense it as well. Thanks to the Indiana athletes like Darius and the others for believing in the future of the Hoosiers.

Higgi
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 12:58 AM EDT

After giving up 6 TDs to PU in the 2nd half…it is clear where the emphasis should be for the IU Football program: D-E-F-E-N-S-E!

chris K.
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 1:52 AM EDT

YESSSSSSSS! That’s what I’m talking about! I think that flip 5 might actually happen! Don;t look now, but I also saw that another 4 star LB flipped from…somwhere, I don’t remember, point is, he flipped to Georgia. That’s where the LB Kimbrough from Indy is committed. Hopefully, he’s feeling it’s getting too crowded there & he’ll flip here too, & it will become that flippin’ 6 Latham mentioned awhile back.

JonnyHoosier
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 4:49 AM EDT

ABSOLUTELY HUGE.

WELCOME HOME, BIG FELLA

D-BONE
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 6:44 AM EDT

Great news! Was wondering what had transpired with him. This helps, but our D needs H – E – L – P and THEN SOME. Hope there will be some more noteworthy defensive recruits to come.

Hoosier Clarion
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:52 AM EDT

With the exit of Hopeless from PUke are there any recruits whom they have received verbals IU could pilfer? Somehow we need to find/develop 2 stud linebackers with some speed who can also punish runners.

HoosierFan12
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:58 AM EDT

This makes what? 4 4-star recruits for the incoming class? When was the last time IU had 4 4-star recruits in one class? The best thing is that they’re all on the defensive side where we need some serious help. And we’re not done recruiting with this class, I can see a few more highly touted recruit coming our way. Coach Wilson WILL turn this program around! I’m happy with the progress we made this season, I think we could and should have beat a good Ball St team and Navy making us bowl eligible. Either way, I hope the players continue to work hard this off-season like they did the last one. You can feel the culture changing and I can’t wait until all the fans buy into the program and start showing up to Memorial Stadium for all games!

phenomenal1
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 11:40 AM EDT

Chet, you might be right. This happens to me every year, I get really pissy after the season is over, but by the time spring rolls around I start drinking the kool-aid again. I do agree that CKW will get the job done. I just think the defense is going to need some divine intervention to even be a respectable unit. The last few games was some of the worst defense I have ever seen, they almost had to TRY to be that bad.

Podunker
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 4:28 PM EDT

Well, it appears our defensive coaches can recruit! This is great news, especially because the highest rated players will play defense. Getting these kids to change their minds and commit to IU over schools like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Florida makes a big statement and a sign of major progress. And this news should help IU pick up a few more talented recruits before signing day.

And Purdue’s firing of their coach won’t hurt either. There should be a couple players that were leaning toward Purdue that can now we persuaded to play for IU. Better campus, more attractive co-eds, much nicer town and a program on the rise. Things are looking up.

Podunker
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 4:36 PM EDT

At 6’5″ and 291 pounds as a senior in High School, this is exactly the type of “road grader” that IU needs. And given that he spoke to Crean about the possibility of playing basketball at IU, we can assume he has above-average athletic ability for such a big man.

Wilson is certainly getting bigger players on both sides of the ball. How many guys in the class of 2013 are 6’5″ or over? It must be a record for IU. Lathem will arrive on campus next summer tipping the scales at over 300 pounds. My guess is that he’ll see plenty of playing time as a freshman.

Chet
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 6:42 PM EDT

p1, it was impressively bad. There were some individuals that gave cause for hope, though. It’s hard for individuals to shine on an otherwise awful defense.

Comments

• Track. Kinnaird Sixth at World Junior Championships - IU freshman Tre'tez Kinnaird finished in sixth-place at the World Junior Championships in the 800m run. His time (1:47.13) is the second fastest in school history for the
  • M. Tennis. ITA Day 2 Updated Draws - Updated draws are posted after the second day of the ITA Summer Circuit tournament in
  • R100 DB Lewis loves UM visit, names top four - One of the most publicized visitors at Michigan's BBQ on Sunday was Florida commit Marcus Lewis. The Rivals100 defensive back from
  • IU defeats Purdue in alumni rivalry game - Last night on the campus of IUPUI the Indiana team made a furious comeback to beat the Purdue team
  • 2016 point guard Payton Pritchard talks IU, USA Basketball experience -

It’s been a hectic spring and summer for class of 2016 West Linn (Ore.) point guard Payton Pritchard. The 6-foot floor leader was one of the standouts on the adidas

• Five-star center Thomas Bryant on IU: “They’re recruiting me pretty hard” -

Class of 2015 Huntington Prep (W.V.) center Thomas Bryant is one of 33 players in Colorado Springs this week vying for a spot on USA Basketball’s U17 World Championship

• Indiana Elite advances to championship game - Kyle Guy, Hyron Edwards and others have led the charge this week in
  • Hoosier Links: July 27, 2014 - In today's Hoosier Links there is a story about IU's alumni beating Purdue Saturday night in hoops and an AAU report out of Las
  • Women's Basketball Coach Curt Miller Resigns from Indiana