Decision on Perea,Jurkin expected today

Woke up to see that Jeff Rabjohns of Peegs.com is reporting something along these lines, but a source confirms that a decision from the NCAA on the eligibility of Indiana fresmen Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin is expected to be handed down today.

• Laffy says:

Man, could be a GREAT day today (Obama wins and these two guys are cleared) or a HORRIBLE day (exact opposite happens).

• kurk81 says:

Ditto on Laffy’s sentiments, but may I suggest a ‘dream scenario’ wherein Tijan wins the election on a massive last-minute write-in campaign and is also awarded more years of bb eligibility.

• Chet says:

He must have typed Tuesday when he meant Thursday. The decision is to come down Thursday at 11:30.

• 16guards says:

The tea leaves are reading that Jurkin will be immediately eligible but might have a small charitable contribution to make. Perea may have to sit out a few games but no harm no foul since he’s working back from the foot injury.

• Monkey Man says:

My source tells me Jurkin is cleared, Perea not so much. Perea will be missing some games.

• Calbert says:

Do we have a time for the announcement today?

• Oldguy says:

Laffy proves that stupidity is not unknown among IU grads. Must have been a Studies major.

• Chet says:

What Laffy is is well informed. At the very least on those two topics.

Oldguy is an advertising agency’s dream. Laffy is their nightmare.

• harvo says:

A better result would be both young men cleared to play and Romney wins in a landslide

• hahahaha says:

Hahahahahaha. This election is over. Obama with a 91% chance of winning. It would take some serious voter suppression and intimidation for the Republican machine to win another presidential election with a losing candidate.

The GOP is dead without a serious overhaul. Move forward or get left behind.

• Laffy says:

“Stupidity” is thinking we could invade Iraq and have it all be over in 3 months and cost less than $30 billion.which is what Georgie told us and his sheep believed.

It’s also thinking housing prices would go up 20% per year forever….which is what most of the country believed and is what screwed our country. I called the housing collapse while everyone else “didn’t see it coming.”

Lastly, tell us ONE topic Mitt hasn’t flip-flopped on. Just one. “Stupidity” is believing ANYTHING that comes out of his mouth.

• Chet says:

Laffy, that simply isn’t true. Remember Dick Cheney on Meet the Press stated that the Iraq War would not cost anything because Iraq oil revenues would be used to offset the cost of the war. What was George thinking? It was all going to be free and over in a few weeks.

The only thing that the Republicans have going for them is the huge number of people who can’t remember beyond last week.

• chris K. says:

Let’s not let this site become political. I would never reveal the fact that I wouldn’t vote for a Republican if my lfe depended on it. Noone else should either, unless you are a 1 percenter with no conscience(?). But these thoughts have no place here!! Dadgumitt!

• chris K. says:

So, Monkey Man, what does “missing some games” mean? Can the NCAA rule a kid partially ineligible? I don’t understand that.

• insider info says:

Sources with knowledge of the situation tell Peegs.com the NCAA plans to make eligibility decisions on Indiana freshman Hanner Perea and Peter Jurkin today.

At this point, the amount of undocumented expenses related to Jurkin are less than the amount that traditionally requires a player to sit out. It is expected Jurkin will have to repay that amount to the charity of his choosing.

A key receipt related to international travel for Perea dating to 2008 reached the NCAA late last week. However, there are still a number of undocumented expenses, and Perea will have to sit out a number of games to start the season.

If the NCAA goes by previous decisions, Perea will have to sit out around six games. However, the NCAA has considerable leeway in these matters so the number of games he has to sit could vary.

• Mad Max says:

I would like to know why espn is showing pUKe exhibition highlights and this is kentucky all access week. Last time I checked Indiana is ranked #1. sounds like john crookaperi might be paying someone again.

• Husky T says:

I read Kelvin Sampson’s college coaching ban will be lifted today. Has it been five years? Seems like it was just yesterday when I was cheering on “Hot Rod” Wilmont.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Mad Max-

One word: E S T A B L I S H M E N T.

• chris K. says:

I hope you’re right. 6,8,10 games,no problem. just not 32.

• Ron says:

Old Guy. Comment (#7) reminds me of last December. IU was scheduled on TV against I forget who. Went out for a ride, stopped at Racetrac station on US 41 next to the Peace River in Charlotte Harbor Florida. Got my newspaper and cofee, going to my bike when two homeless and drunk guys come out of the bushes.

First guy looks at my IU shirt and asks if that was Utah. Second guy stumbles out and said “no man, thats IU – Indiana” He than goes on to say he loves Bloomington and IU. Took him 6 yrs to get through school and he enjoyed every minute of it.

I offered him $20 for food but he said to keep it, he would just buy beer with it. Gave him my cell # if he needed anythingt….never heard from him again.

• Chris says:

Thanks for the smart view on politics Laffy.
    Hope to see these two cleared and Obama kick some butt.

• Rico Chet says:

I was so distraught after Coach Wilson’s latest win that I withdrew from the Scoop for an entire weekend, during which I picked fruit with a group of Vietnamese immigrants to redeem my conscience. But now I’m back.

• Keith says:

Hey Ron,
    It’s dude #2 from the bushes(can I get a mulligan on that 20 spot?)
    Just kiddin’ I really appreciate all the perspectives here at the Scoop. We can disagree with out being disrespectful or calling someone’s opinion stupid (oh, wait oldguy ruined that.)
    I, like all commenting here I hope these two freshmen don’t miss any/very many games this season, ’cause it’s gonna be fun to watch. As a matter of fact, I got a pair of candy stripes to rock on Friday as I venture into enemy territory (Northern Kentucky) to drop my kids off at preschool. (The Huge IU magnet on the back of my car may not be loud enough)
    As you were men, and go HOOSIERS!!!

• Laffy says:

Well, there ARE opinions that are “stupid” if/when they claim “Obama is far worse than Bush.”

We had the worst attack ever on Bush’s watch (yes, I know Righties never say “The buck stops here when it’s one of their own at the helm and blame it on someone else).

Bush lied to get us into war…….the worst thing a Prez can do….and then had the two worst managed wars ever.

The housing collapse happened on his watch.

We were losing 700,000 jobs a MONTH when he left office.

And on and on and on.

Obama, while FAR from perfect, hasn’t come CLOSE to ANY of those things, let alone being worse than ALL of them.

• 16guards says:

This dumpster fire of comments totally unrelated to Peter Jurkin or Hanner Perea is starting to resemble the HoosierTimes comments section more and more every day. I assume next we’ll have a throwdown about gun control and I-69? This is a sports haven, please keep it that way.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?