Hoosier Morning

1. HOOSIERS HQ
Tonight’s game against UNC is the most anticipated since last year’s clash with Kentucky, Dustin wrote.

One of the takeaways from Sunday’s Ball State game is that IU’s interior defense will need to be better against UNC, I wrote.

Tickets for the IU-UNC clash are a hot commodity, Mike Leonard wrote.

The IU women’s basketball beat IPFW for its fifth straight victory, I wrote.

Adam Replogle and Cody Latimer topped IU’s selections to the All-Big Ten teams, Dustin wrote.

2. IT’S INDIANA (VS. UNC)
Playing Indiana means taking on the Zeller that got away, Andrew Carter of the Raleigh News and Observer writes.

The Tar Heels need toughness if they’re going to have a shot at beating the Hoosiers, Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News and Observer writes.

3. BIG TEN COUNTRY
A look at the matchups that comprise the 2012 ACC/Big Ten Challenge, from the Sporting News’ Mike Decourcy.

Cincinnati’s Butch Jones and Ball State’s Pete Lembo are among the potential hires for Purdue football, Mike Carmin of the Lafayette Journal and Courier writes.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
A look back at Tobacco Road’s last visit to Assembly Hall, a 75-67 Duke win on Nov. 30, 2005, in spite of Marco Killingsworth.

• Hoosier Clarion #1

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:07 AM EST

All right Chet, I’ve been waiting for someone else to ask, “what did you do to yourself this time” Q and it has not happened, so, I ask.

• Laffy #2

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:05 PM EST

My Vegas paper has IU as a 9 point favorite tonight.

I don’t bet on our Hooisers (I bet on us to cover the spread once years ago and it drove me even more insane) but I think there’s no way in hell we cover that.

• Chet #3

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:16 PM EST

HC, MRI on Thursday. I’ll let you know. It’s more of a cumulative thing.

• Chet #4

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:22 PM EST

Laffy, I used to know a guy with a bad gambling issue. He always bet against his favorite team because he couldn’t handle the let down of losing a game AND losing a bet at the same time.

I do enough gaming with financial issues. I can spend a week in Vegas and not bet a nickel. If I do gamble I’m assuming the money is gone before I put it down.

• Laffy #5

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:37 PM EST

Like most Hoosier fans, I get CRAZY during the game. And one time I bet $100 on us to cover. Like I said, it drove me even more crazy thinking about the bet.

The last thing I’d want is to win the game but be mad I lost money. I want only joy after a win.

And I’d NEVER bet against our team. One year while Davis was coaching, we were getting lines that were way too high and I kept thinking, “Man, I could have made a fortune betting against us.”

I did tell some friends when I thought there was no way we’d cover and they made money, but I just couldn’t put money down betting against the team I love.

I rarely gamble on anything anyway. If I put $20 in a machine twice a year, it’s a lot.

Don’t bet on sports or the tables either.

All my money goes to the strip clubs. :-)

• Hoosier Clarion #6

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 3:23 PM EST

Jeremy,

Mike Carmin’s article does not come up in the link.

• Jeremy Price #7

No. 8 Ohio State at No. 15 Duke -——————Duke

Virginia at No. 22 Wisconsin -————————Wisky

No. 9 Michigan State at Miami -———————-MSU

Purdue at Clemson————————————————Clemson

Georgia Tech at Illinois—————————————-UI

Boston College at Penn State—————————-BC

So I have it at 6-6. What happens in a tie? Nothing?

• TsaoTsuG #9

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 6:57 PM EST

Chet- Man…I must have missed something, but when I read HC’s comment it dawned on me. What’s going on? You ok? Mrs.Chet?

• Chet #10

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 8:41 PM EST

It’s nothing life threatening or anything (unless something really goes terribly south). It may turn out to be nothing more than a bunch of contusions working in concert but, worse case scenario, I’ve done in a couple lumbar vertebrae. I underestimated gravity or height or ability or intelligence or something on my mountain bike. My own damn fault (which, oddly enough, has been the case in every previous instance as well). Things aren’t performing up to specs and other weirdness. On the upside, they’re plenty generous with the pain meds so I might say Florida State is the class of ACC football or other nonsense.

Anyway, we’ll know more after the MRI. I get volume discount.

Thanks for asking, guys, I truly do appreciate it.

• Geoff #11

1998 – FSU
    1999 – FSU
    2000 – FSU
    2001 – Maryland
    2002 – FSU
    2003 – FSU
    2004 – VT (Bobby Bowden turns 75 yrs old)
    2005 – FSU
    2006 – WF
    2007 – VT
    2008 – VT
    2009 – GT (Bobby Bowden retires)
    2010 – VT
    2011 – Clemson
    2012 – FSU or GT (we’re back)

• Chet #12

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 9:27 PM EST

Geoff,

Virginia Tech joins the ACC 2004.

VT 4 championships

FSU 1 champion

Final score 4-1.

• Chet #13

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 9:28 PM EST

Wow, that’s a horse whipping.

• Chet #14

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 9:31 PM EST

Did you have to read ptetroglyphs to find when FSU was a dominant program?

• TsaoTsuG #15

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 9:43 PM EST

Glad it’s nothing threatening. IU has one very, very good back surgeon (I can’t remember his name but easy to get) and Northwestern has the guy that NFL/NBA and, most imp0ortant, the Spanish and Italian leagues send their best, highest investments too. I know Higuain (he’s Argentina’s #9-centerforward) and he was here for that (met him and his dad while they were here). He was operated, walking within 5 days and after a 4 month recoup. back playing and scoring for Real Madrid.

They (my manager) wanted to do the same thing to me but I figured at 71 I’d just retire. Let me know if there’s anything I can do.

• TsaoTsuG #16

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 9:52 PM EST

(low voice- shhh) Told you he wasn’t going away or even staying quiet. That’s one insistent coackroach…every time you turn on the lights, you just catch him diving into the garbage disposal. And, he’ll write Britannica, Google and the American Academy of Epistemology and argue their entries.

(shoo-shoo-out!-shoo!!!)

• Geoff #17

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 10:05 PM EST

Nope, they had the Internet then…

The VT 4-1 stat is about to be 4-2, after Saturday… But either way, it has nothing to do with VT and everything to do with a legend going out too slowly. Those years were the years Bobby was age 75-80.

I don’t know if you have some allegiance to VT which causes you to ignore the coming tide… But FSU is back. Just a short nap in a lifetime of dominance. Very similar to IU basketball.

• Geoff #18

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 10:53 PM EST

FSU is 22-12-1 all time vs VT

Now that’s an ass-whooping… But we’ll keep it in the ACC. Since they are in different Divisions they’ve only met 4 times and are 2-2, with each beating the other for an ACC Title.

FSU’s all-time ACC winning % = 80% (135-34)

VT’s all-time ACC winning % = 80% (60-15)

If VT can keep it up for 20+ years like FSU has you’ll have a point.

• Chet #19

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:15 PM EST

I really like Geoff. A lot. He’s just staked out an indefensible position, how FSU is better than VT because they won a bunch of title before VT was in the conference despite having had their a$$ handed to them ever since. He’s just going with emotion while ignoring reality and that’s uncomfortable for an analytical guy. We’ve all been there.

Got an absolutely brilliant neurosurgeon (yep, been there, too). Stanford and Johns Hopkins trained. One of the advantages of living in a place like Asheville. The resumes of the physicians here read like a Who’s Who of medicine because they just want to live here. Kinda like orthopaedic surgeons in Aspen, Colorado.

If it’s what I think it’s gonna suck but I’ve got a great surgeon, health insurance, amazing wife who happens to be a nurse, health insurance (such as it is), and financially secure. I’m extraordinarily lucky in all those respects.

No complaints from me. We’ll see how it goes.

• Geoff #20

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:36 PM EST

You act like VT has something to do with it. They are in separate divisions and have only played each other twice in the regular season in the 9 years VT has been in th ACC. They splt. They split again in 2 ACC championship games.

They won their ACC division easily this year and are highly favored to win the title game.

Your meds are fogging your brain. It’s like a Purdue fan saying that they are a better B1G program than IU because they have had a better run the last 6 years.

Purdue = VT

• Chet #21

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:38 PM EST

Geoff, that’s kinda like the dominance of Penn State by counting the years before they were in the Big Ten (actually, it’s exactly like that). Except VT played in a title game recently.

Since VT has been in the ACC they’ve won 4 titles and FSU has won 1. Those are the only stats that matter. You know that. I know that. Everybody knows that.

Bottom line. Maybe FSU regains prominence, maybe not. But, until/unless, FSU wins a few more titles, VT is the Big Dog in the ACC. Nobody I’ve heard in ‘sports world’, except you, disputes that

• Geoff #22

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:51 PM EST

You live in their back door. That’s why you hear that.

It will be 4-2 in 5 days

It will be 4-4 in 2 years and 1 week.

It’s nothing like PSU… FSU was dominant IN the conference – DOMINANT.

PSU was dominant as an independent… OUT of the conference.

• Chet #23

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:55 PM EST

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

4-1

4-1

4-1

Those are the numbers. Those are the facts.

• Geoff #24

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:00 AM EST

• Geoff #25

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:04 AM EST

Ok, here are some more facts…

Total ACC titles:

FSU – 12 (13 on Saturday)

VT – 4 (4 on Saturday)

I love the fact that this UNC game is so out of hand that were debating ACC football in the second half.

• Chet #26

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:07 AM EST

Geoff, love you buddy. Keep on digging.

FSU really dominated before VT joined the conference. VT has dominated ever since.

Show me otherwise.

• Chet #27

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:25 AM EST

Just for fun, buddy, just for fun.

• Geoff #28

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:29 AM EST

The way I see it, FSU dominated until Bowden got into his late 70′s… It’s tough to do that demanding of a job effectively at 77 years old.

It just happened that Bowden’s 75th birthday coincided with VT entering the ACC.

Here’s your otherwise – 2012 ACC Champs… FSU

Show me otherwise.

• Geoff #29

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:31 AM EST

I know… I love debate… It’s not like I get all riled up.

What a great game – I love having all my buddies texting me how impressive IU looks…

Texting didnt exist last time they could get these props.

• Chet #30

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:33 AM EST

VT hadn’t joined the conference until 2004. They have absolutely owned the conference since they have been a member. Not much they could have done while in the Big East.

Show me, well, you know.

• Geoff #31

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:44 AM EST

Not like FSU owned the conference after they joined…

9 straight ACC championships… 70-2 conference record

• Chet #32

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:46 AM EST

…until VT joined.

Night buddy.

• Geoff #33

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:56 AM EST

This Millenium started out perfectly…

FSU defeats VT for the national title!

And your “not much they could have done while in the Big East”… Well considering FSU was in the middle of an unprecedented run of 14 straight years finishing the season ranked in the top 5 it’s pretty safe to say that VT wouldn’t have done a damn thing about it either.

FSU – 12 ACC titles (since 1992)

VT – 8 total conference titles in Southern League, Big East, and ACC (since 1892)

It’s so cute that they can be proud of the last 5 or 6 years.

FSU – ACC champs 2012

• Geoff #34

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:58 AM EST

Double OT in the Colrado game! Very entertaining…

• Chet #35

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 1:03 AM EST

Since they joined the ACC

VT 4 championships

FSU 1 championship

Twist away.

While your at it,

give Germany WWII

The Confederacy the Civil War

The Tar Heels, tonight.

• Geoff #36

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 1:13 AM EST

Ok you want to make war references…

Saying FSU isn’t THE ACC superpower is like trying to say that the US isnt the world superpower because we didn’t “win” Vietnam…

2006 – 2011 = blip on the radar of otherwise dominant history of FSU… Which has now returned to dominance.

• TsaoTsuG #37

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 1:16 AM EST

Good Chet, good health. (and stay away from contagious, diseased areas and wear a face mask). Great win tonight. Not worried about Watford at all, he just has lapses of concentration or, when something has changed, it takes him a bit longer to figure out how he fits.

How many games will IU basketball win in 2014-15

• 16-19 (45%, 145 Votes)
  • 20-23 (36%, 117 Votes)
  • 15 or less (12%, 38 Votes)
  • 24 or more (7%, 24 Votes)

Total Voters: 324

IU vs Ohio State football

Men's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_blackmon1.jpg]2860James Blackmon, Jr.
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard James Blackmon Jr. (1)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_zeisloft1.jpg]2100Nick Zeisloft
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nick Zeisloft (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hoetzel1.jpg]1770Max Hoetzel
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Max Hoetzel (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_johnson1.jpg]1600Robert Johnson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Robert Johnson (4)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_williams1.jpg]1450Troy Williams
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Troy Williams (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_burton1.jpg]1370Ryan Burton
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Ryan Burton (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_yogi1.jpg]1320Yogi Ferrell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Yogi Ferrell (11)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_perea1.jpg]1310Hanner Mosquera-Perea
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_robinson1.jpg]1120Stanford Robinson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Stanford Robinson (22)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_ritchie1.jpg]1110Nate Ritchie
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Nate Ritchie (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_holt1.jpg]1280Emmitt Holt
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Emmitt Holt (25)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hartman1.jpg]1230Collin Hartman
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Collin Hartman (30)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_priller1.jpg]1390Tim Priller
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Tim Priller (35)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_april1.jpg]1520Jeremiah April
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jeremiah April (44)

Women's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_walter1.jpg]1090Jess Walter
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Jess Walter (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_buss1.jpg]2790Tyra Buss
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Tyra Buss (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_brooks1.jpg]1390Larryn Brooks
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Larryn Brooks (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_agler1.jpg]1200Taylor Agler
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Taylor Agler (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_bell2.jpg]940Nicole Bell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nicole Bell (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_stratman1.jpg]940Liz Stratman
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hulls1.jpg]930Kaila Hulls
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard/forward Kaila Hulls (15)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mcbride1.jpg]940Karlee McBride
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Karlee McBride (21)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_gassion1.jpg]990Alexis Gassion
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Alexis Gassion (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_muensterman1.jpg]760Maura Meunsterman
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Maura Muensterman (31)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mize1.jpg]760Andrea Mize
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Andrea Mize (32)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_cahill1.jpg]790Amanda Cahill
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Amanda Cahill (33)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_jakubicek1.jpg]810Claire Jakubicek
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Claire Jakubicek (34)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_leikem1.jpg]710Lyndsay Leikem
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Lyndsay Leikem (40)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_anderson1.jpg]710Jenn Anderson
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jenn Anderson (43)
  • MikeC:

Coach Moren was correct, they did not play well last night but, still [...]

• 15 Miles North:

The Don Carson article, thinking he had some input from HH. [...]

• iuhoosier1992:

Some of the Vegas guys toyed with a line if UK played the 76ers and th [...]

• t:

T. Moren is a coach of high expectations as she noted the team took a [...]

• siniufan:

go Tyra Buss!!!! [...]

• siniufan:

Kentucky is very good.might be the 1st team to go undefeated since i.u [...]

• Geoff:

brutal game conditions. negated any type of actual game planning. no [...]