Hoosier Scoop Sage Take abdicates today in favor of Jeremy Price.

9 comments by   |   Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 5:05 am EDT

Having finished a long evening of watching election returns, I was going to unburden myself on the NCAA’s customarily obtuse and unfair ruling regarding Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin when I logged on and saw that colleague Jeremy Price had already said everything I planned to say, only better. He exhibited more sagacity, in other words, than I could have mustered. So my take today is simply that you should read Jeremy’s superb take on the subject here on The Scoop.

I would only add my thanks to all those who voted and/or contributed to the political campaigns this year. Self-government and representative democracy in a nation of 300 million can be messy, can seem like wading into a cesspool at times, but it’s absolutely crucial that we participate in our democracy. So kudos to all who did this time around.

Related content: Read more in Just sayin'

Live Chat, 11 a.m.
Live Chat Transcript
Live Chat, 11 a.m.
Former IU rower killed on Malaysian Airlines Flight 17
Live Chat, 11 a.m.
Cln
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 10:43 AM EDT

Serious question here. Is there some kind of legal action we could take against the NCAA? Or somehow cause an investigation into their activities? They act like an unregulated monopolist, which is pretty much what they are. They lost all credibility with me during the Cam Newton investigation and this decision further underscores the appearance of what is at the very least a deeply conflicted organization and at worst one in which revenue and personal agendas have taken precedence over protecting the student athelete and enforceing adherence to the rules.

B-town88
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 12:56 PM EDT

Please find a way to eliminate political opinions from this site. This is where I like to escape, not be bothered by political strife!

TF6S
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 1:25 PM EDT

B-Town88, thank you. +1

It’s amazing how just a few folks can make so much noise.

Double Down
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 2:40 PM EDT

Is IU appealing this? Can they?

I’d be fighting hard to get the 9 games down to zero.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 3:04 PM EDT

B-twon88, I agree with your request completely. Thank you. I don’t need or want to read political opinions on the Hoosier Scoop. This is a site for Hoosier sports.

iuhoosier1992
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 3:08 PM EDT

Double Down, yes, IU is planning to appeal. They are not appealing the dollar amounts, just the lengths of suspensions.

Ron
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 3:33 PM EDT

What would be the best platform to ridicle the NCAA?

The more the idea of these young men being fined for something that happened before they were born is….is….crazy. I cant’t think of a word to describe this situation.

And over $185.00 parking sticker 20 years ago, over 5 years.

Punishment should fit the crime…?

If somehow this story could be picked up by the national press (which should have plenty of extrra time now), I see no explanation NCAA could provide that would account for the fine to these two guys. Unless it comes down to the NCAA just needing the money.

This is really ……crazy.

Ron
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 3:58 PM EDT

I Feel relieved. I self reported myself. (ok that sounds kind of weird)

Went to the NCAA website. “contact us” “general question”
and confessed. This is hard to admit to but in 1987 I bought a IU t-shirt and a parking pass for the game. To complicate matters I was a starting forward on our USAF base basketball team.

I estimate I spent $14.00 (in 1987 dollars) and asked if I was in trouble.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 4:55 PM EDT

Gee Willikers, if I didn’t know better, it sounds like most of you are obsessing over this so much that you must believe there is some type of underground in college basketball that works in conspiratorial fashion against IU. You guys need to get a life.

This type of stuff happens everyday in recruiting/program investigations. Where was all the outrage when the NCAA was hanging IU basketball from a tree for a few 3-way calls to a future Purdue nark, water bottles, and backpacks?

It’s to our benefit that the NCAA scratches the surface of seemingly frivolous warning signs. There’s always the possibility of a massive “cancer” growing from the tiniest cell of unveiled corruption in abuses of power.

Drugs, skipping classes, the abundance of failing grades..? How quickly would it have been unveiled without former Hoosiers spying for the NCAA and reporting the 3-way calling addiction of Kelvin Sampson?

This investigation should be viewed no differently. It’s internal policing. It necessary. It’s what good programs do. You can’t have it both ways. Would you rather have Penn State? Would you prefer a program run like the mafia for pedophiles?

Our program was decimated by the discovery of what was lurking underneath 3-way calls. We should thank the NCAA for their fervent determination. They could have found far more than flunkies and druggies. They could have found old men raping children in showers.

Comments

• Track. Drouin Wins Gold at Commonwealth Games - IU alum and Olympian Derek Drouin won the Gold Medal in the high jump at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in
  • M. Basketball. Oladipo Impresses At USA Basketball Camp - Having idolized all of the star players of USA Basketball as a child, Victor Oladipo called the opportunity to contribute to Team USA this week
  • Hidden gem talks Indiana visit - Non-top 100 prospects such as Victor Oladipo and Will Sheehey show Indiana isn't afraid to
  • Recruiting Roundup: 7/30 - With August approaching, recruits are cutting their college lists and finally focusing their recruitment after a long and telling July. As
  • Class of 2015 guard Matt McQuaid will visit Indiana -

Class of 2015 Duncanville (Tex.) guard Matt McQuaid set out to show coaches he could do more than just shoot in July. Now that the three evaluation periods have come to an end,

• Rising 2015 big Nick Marshall on IU’s radar -

Andrew Hicks has only been on the job as the basketball coach at Lexington (Tenn.) high school for three months, but he already has a feel for the top player he’s

• VIDEO: IU players talk improvement - Courtesy of IU Athletics, watch and listen to Indiana players talk about offseason improvements in their
  • What We Learned: July Evaluation Period - The July Evaluation period is now over. The Indiana coaching staff was busy all month. Here's five things we learned from the exhausting
  • Bloomington Restaurant and Bar Guide