Indiana awaiting word on Peter Jurkin/Hanner Mosquera-Perea appeal

22 comments by   |   Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 6:22 pm EDT

According to IU athletic director Fred Glass, Indiana’s appeal of the nine-game suspensions of freshmen Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin is over and the Hoosiers are awaiting word on the decision of the appeals committee. A timetable for a final decision is uncertain.

UPDATE: The conference call ended about three hours ago and the NCAA’s appeals committee hasn’t put out any word on its decision. IU coach Tom Crean said he has no idea when to expect an answer, and with less than three hours before the scheduled tip-off of tonight’s IU-Georgetown game, the Hoosiers doubt they’ll know before game time. No one is ruling it out at this point either, because quite frankly, they have no idea.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Hoetzel, Johnson take shot at Derby Festival Classic
Arizona center commits to Indiana
Etherington posts that he will transfer to Butler
BC Hoosier
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:09 PM EDT

I’m guessing the decision will be made after tonight’s game (just to screw us over some more).

chris K.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:15 PM EDT

that’s exactly what I’m hearing will happen, BC Hoosier. You know, who oversees the NCAA? They should e suspended from the suthority to suspend players. If we win this appeal,, they will be admittedly 0-2 on their “rulings”. Not that the rest of the world didn’t already know they were 0-2, but then they would officially be 0-2. even by their own admission.

chris K.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:24 PM EDT

Here’s what REALLY REALLY eats at me about these situaions, besides everything that is. when you look at what happened here, the vioaltion that is, this guy, this”booster” committed a minir minor infraction many years ago. Okay, fine. But whatI don’t understand is where the idea of suspending players comes into the minds of the NCAA. If, as a part of the punishment, you DO NOT deem the players involved to be ineligible for the season, then why in the hell would you suspend them, for ANY period of time? What i the motivation t oddo so? At that point, the players eligibility has nothing to do with the matter anymore, at least it SHOULDN’T, I should say.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:33 PM EDT

Chris…any chance you can clean up your spelling… Your post are getting damn near unreadable. I like reading what you have to say, but I need to understand it man.

chris K.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:36 PM EDT

Actually, no, not really. I’ve posted before the technical difficulties I have w/my PC. It’s complicated. I try, I appologize, just bear w/me.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:36 PM EDT

Ambd fertermore, wen u commnt onda nccca you shood nevver use yer last intiial… They willfind u.and they wiil shut you dwon.

Big Red
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:39 PM EDT

Says the guy who doesn’t spell Jeff correctly.

chris K.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:45 PM EDT

Uckf y….nevermind, I won’t go there.

chris K.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:46 PM EDT

Ufck y-never mind.

chris K.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:50 PM EDT

i was worth saying twice!(sort of) So, when is our next game after tonight? I’m assuming we MIGHT have jurkin & perea for that.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 8:06 PM EDT

Well, Big Red… If we wanted to get in that debate… Mine is the original spelling. Also I was named by 2 Hoosier alum who were the children of Hoosier alum…

coachv
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 8:37 PM EDT

geoff,

thought your spelling response was funny until i read red’s. btw, as long as you are correcting folks, alumni is plural, alumnus singular. alum…makes your mouth pucker if i recall my 3 stooges correctly.

let the drinking begin!

Geoff
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 8:58 PM EDT

Really? Alum isn’t acceptable?

Yeah, Red’s was funny…

Big Red
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:04 PM EDT

Gust goking, Geoff. Gesus.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:05 PM EDT

Searched around… Found this:

Join Date: Oct 2000
I work at a college. “Alum” is okay if it is for something casual or social, such as goofy flyers that say things like “Calling all alums: don’t miss the annual sock hop!” I am very strict though about always using the long form alumni/alumnus etc for anything formal, like written records, press releases, awards and recognitions.

I guess I’ll stick with it unless I’m being formal.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:06 PM EDT

Mee to, I’m rarly sirius…

Geoff
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:34 PM EDT

I feel like it would be impossible for the NCAA to be less competent.

FireCrean2013
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:42 PM EDT

I think this thread is a gem. It’s like a Tom Crean presser where you just read the answers.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:47 PM EDT

Geoff… I understood Chris K perfectly ( errors and all), nothing hard about it. More, this is exactly where you make it hard to follow along…just saying.

Ron
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:49 PM EDT

NC – 18 points at half-time

coachv
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 10:10 PM EDT

damn red! that’s so funny. maybe it’s the habanero- pineapple-mango tequila shots.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 5:55 PM EDT

The NCAA is one of the most incompetent and corrupt organizations in America. They are feckless to stop the real cheating, but they take every opportunity to hand out ridiculous punishment for minor offenses. In this particular case, they have reached a new low. This organization should be completely re-organized by its members, and the Universities Presidents should terminate the entire senior management staff.

Comments

• Softball. Softball Suffers 4-2 Loss At No. 25 Northwestern - The Hoosiers made some noise late in their contest with No. 25 Northwestern, but the Indiana softball team would eventually fall 4-2 in game two of the three-game Big Ten series
  • W. Rowing. Clemson Invite Update: Morning Session - Morning Session Results | The No. 20 Indiana Rowing
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Black Key Bulls, Teter capture Spring Series - Black Key Bulls and Teter captured the men’s and women’s white jerseys, respectively in dominating fashion Saturday, winning in Team Pursuit. In the men’s finals, Black Key
  • Three-star Quarterback Has Great Visit - Three-star Washington (D.C.) Gonzaga signal caller Nick Johns visited College Park on Friday and Maryland coaches made quite an
  • Hoosier Newsstand, Apr. 19 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Photo Gallery: Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Check out 30 photos by Jamie Owens from Friday’s Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall featuring IU signees Max Hoetzel and Robert

• Video: Hoetzel, Johnson talk Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Future Indiana teammates Max Hoetzel and Robert Johnson were teammates in Friday’s 2014 Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall, falling

• Etherington Finds Perfect Fit - Indiana transfer Austin Etherington has chosen Butler after a visit on
  • The Thursday Thinker