Indiana hammers North Carolina, 83-59

67 comments by   |   Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 3:02 am EDT

WHAT HAPPENED: Indiana used a 15-6 run at the end of the first half and a 20-3 run at the start of the second to hammer No. 14 North Carolina 83-59 in front of 17,472 at Assembly Hall.

WHO MADE IT HAPPEN: Sophomore center Cody Zeller had one of his best games as a collegian, showing off his phenomenal-for-a-big-man speed and muscle to beat North Carolina on the break and beat the Tar Heels up in the post. He finished with 20 points and eight rebounds and was also better at protecting the rim than ever before. he blocked four shots. He recorded just one assist, but his passing was much better than that, as he was able to find cutters and shooters through the post.

Junior swingman Will Sheehey had one of the best shooting nights of his career, shooting 3-for-4 from beyond the arc and scoring 19 points. He was also critical defensively. IU coach Tom Crean shifted him on to North Carolina’s James McAdoo after senior forward Christian Watford struggled against him and Sheehey locked him up for the entire second half. McAdoo scored 10 points in the first half, but went 0-for-5 in the second half and didn’t score at all.

Junior guard Victor Oladipo was equally outstanding on both sides of the ball. He attacked the glass and scored on dribble drives, baseline cuts and post-ups to finish with 19 points, and he was just as much of a lock-down defender as Sheehey. Oladipo held Reggie Bullock, North Carolina’s second-leading scorer, to just five points on 2-for-9 shooting.

Senior guard Jordan Hulls continued his lights-out shooting and had perhaps his best all-around game of the season. Hulls scored 13 points on 5-for-8 shooting with three 3-points and dished out eight assists without committing a turnover. The 6-footer also grabbed seven rebounds and recorded two steals.

Freshman point guard Yogi Ferrell couldn’t get any of his six shots to fall and finished with just two points, but he had six assists and just one turnover and was brilliant in his running of the offense.

WHY DID IT HAPPEN: Most importantly, Indiana played phenomenal defense to start the second half. North Carolina started the game 16-for-33 from the field and the game was tied 31-31 with 4:14 to go in the first half. From that point on, the Tar Heels shot just 2-for-8 from the field for the rest of the half and then made just one of their first 20 second half shots. And that one shot came off a rebound and might have actually gone off Sheehey into the bucket. Sheehey and Oladipo were both critical to that, but all of Indiana’s defenders were excellent with ball pressure and Zeller was at his most imposing, cleaning up and challenging any shots that came his way.

The Hoosiers also played North Carolina’s game better than North Carolina. Knowing the Tar Heels were going to try to fast break at every opportunity, the Hoosiers ran right at them, sending Oladipo and Zeller to the rim off of made baskets, inbounding the ball quickly and finding them with passes over their shoulders for easy layups and dunks. That kept the Tar Heels from gaining any momentum and allowed the Hoosiers to take over quickly once they had the lead.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN: That Indiana has made the most emphatic statement yet that it is the No. 1 team in the country, decimating a Top 25 team and a blue blood with a punishing effort. The win has lots of symbolic value, considering that four years ago in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, the Hoosiers were blown away by Wake Forest by a nearly identical score, losing 83-58 in Winston Salem in 2008.

It also means the Hoosiers are in a way, out of the woods in terms of their post depth. There are two games remaining in the suspensions of freshman forwards Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin. Indiana plays low-major squads Coppin State and Central Connecticut State in those games, and will have Mosquera-Perea and Jurkin back for the game against Butler in Indianapolis on Dec. 15. The Hoosiers were able to get past three significantly bigger teams in Georgia, Georgetown and North Carolina — Georgetown was the biggest of the bunch and that game obviously helped the Hoosiers on Tuesday, and they remain No. 1 in the nation as they improve to 7-0.

WHO SAID WHAT:

IU Coach Tom Crean

On Indiana’s fast break:

“Our guys are very confident in their running game,” Crean said. “The key against North Carolina is, everybody thinks its going to be a fast-paced game, but if you let them control and dictate the pace of the game, they’re hard to beat. We had to control the pace of the game. That meant that we needed to run to make sure we could get as many easy baskets.”

On Will Sheehey defending James McAdoo

“Will Sheehey did a phenomenal job on him. We gave up a couple of boards, but Will was fighting him, Will was making it hard for him to make catches. We knew that they were going to need to go to him to get it going.”

Victor Oladipo

On the significance of the win

“You guys know just as well as I know that this program, not last year, but over the past couple of years, has really been struggling,” junior guard Victor Oladipo said. “We’re trying to get it back to where it belongs. And that’s on top. For us to get a win like that, it’s a humbling experience, not only for us, but for this program as well.”

On Jordan Hulls.

“He’s a bad boy. Bad boys bad boys. Whatcha goin, whatcha gonna do?” (Yes, he really sang that. Into the microphone. At a press conference.)

AUDIO: Tom Crean

AUDIO: Victor Oladipo, Will Sheehey and Cody Zeller

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Hoosiers at the Derby Classic
BC transfer Ryan Anderson posts on Twitter that he will visit Indiana
Report: Trevor Thompson commits to Ohio State
Blackmon non-factor at Nike Hoop Summit
Blackmon to play in Nike Hoop Summit Saturday
OldIUGymnast
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 3:40 AM EDT

Oh my…. VO kills me and it is hard not to love these guys. And Hulls can be > Steve Nash…. What a ballet that kid is…

Wolfer
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 9:20 AM EDT

You gotta LOVE this team!! Can’t remember when I saw such a complete & I mean complete game from IU. (Wish CWat would have come along for the ride, though). Last night we saw IU basketball. Offensive movement, great D, unselfish passing, hustle, steals, rebounding, you name it. I kinda wish the game wouldn’t end…it was that enjoyable to watch.

This team hasn’t approached its potential yet. CTC needs to continue to push the right buttons. Keep working on the small things. Like I said earlier IU needs contributions from CWat. Yet, he needs to come ready to play on a consistent basis. IU had four guys playing lights out basketball. Need to get Mo Creek in there too. Keep up the good work IU. Go Hoosiers!!

E.J. Update
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 9:31 AM EDT

So glad, and spoiled, to have guys like Zeller and Hulls – and also Dipo and Sheehey – playing so hard and giving their all for this university.

And unlike Eric Gordon, we didn’t have to waste 4 years of our program to acquire their services!

Debbie
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 9:38 AM EDT

CWat is a selfish player and a cancer on the team. Watching the game with all the team work from everyone, it became obvious Watford is in it for himself. No passes. Just focus on the rim and how he can score. Here’s hoping when Elston and Perea get back, Watford’s minutes diminish drastically. Either play team ball or sit. Simple as that. Other than that, great game.

Wolfer
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:00 AM EDT

Debbie, you might be right about CWat. I dunno. He has never finished at the rim consistently & his jumper is not falling now. I think his biggest problem area is coming to the game mentally ready to play & then giving a good hard effort. He did pass out to Will once who knocked down a 3 & he got that monster dunk, but other than that…he was an empty uniform last night. I sense he wants to hit the game winner against Ky everytime IU plays. Just play hard Christian. If your jumper is falling, drive to the hoop and FINISH AT THE RIM!!

It’s nice that IU has the depth to get play from other players. But if IU is too win a championship this season CWat has to be there. Go IU!!

Keith
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 11:21 AM EDT

Debbie, I think you are partially right. I think he was also frustrated and was forcing it. I think with Elston and Perea coming in, Watford should prob be the 7th or 8th man. We have a lot of offense and he frankly gets in the way with Vic, Hulls, Sheehy, Ferrell and Zeller out there…

Shout out to Mo Creek, I was looking at who was playing some amazing D and it was Creek. He had really good movement.

Chris
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 1:23 PM EDT

Christian Watford did not look good last night, but it was one game. He was pressing. Without Watford, IU will not win it all this year.

Geoff
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 1:57 PM EDT

Why can’t IU win it all without Watford?

I’m not saying I want that. Ideally Watford finds comfort in his role and becomes a consistent contributor. But I don’t think you can rank him as any higher than our 5th best player. We legitimately could go 10 deep and maintain threats on the floor.

I think the only 3 players that are indispensable to a championship run are Zeller, Hulls, and Dipo. They are the only ones who do irreplaceable things for the team.

After that it’s just an overwhelming amount of depth and talent, and who is it going to be tonight… Oh you stopped Watford, well Sheehey had a big game… Yogi played like a freshman, well Remy knocked down a couple 3′s… Sheehey didn’t have a good shooting night, well we still got 25 points from the bench…

More than anything we play better defense than ever, and I wouldn’t say Watford is one of our top defenders. I think his value in the tournament would be that he isn’t afraid of the big moment, but other than that I think everything he brings to the team is replaceable within the current roster.

I’m really not trying to bang on Watford. I’m just looking out at the floor.

Ben
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 2:25 PM EDT

Please excuse me for getting off subject, but does anyone cringe when Dick Vitale goes on his RMK kick? I can understand if its mentioned once a year, but its every game! Why would you want to name Assembly Hall RMK Hall, as Vitale suggested, when the man is still apparently bitter, and yet to come back, despite exhausting efforts? I respect RMK. I really do. Though this team has moved on without him. I just wish someone would take Vitale aside, and tell him to lay off of it. It’s getting really old.

iuhoosier1992
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 3:23 PM EDT

All of these comments about CWat remind me of the same comments made about VJ3 last year.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 3:42 PM EDT

“CWat is a selfish player and a cancer on the team.” With comments like that, Debbie is on her way to achieving “troll” status on this site. Debbie get’s the prize for the most outrageously offensive and ignorant comment posted on this site all year. One bad game and CW’s a cancer on the team? What if Zeller, Hulls or WS missed most of their shots?Would you accuse them of being selfish cancers on this team? Careful Debbie, with more comments like that, you may come to be seen as a cancer on The Hoosier Scoop and be subjected to some equally harsh and unfounded accusations.

If CW hits four more shots last night, there would be no criticism. But he missed most of his shots, so suddenly he’s a selfish player and a cancer. What an irresponsible accusation and a profoundly stupid comment! With the depth that he now has, if Crean thinks any player on this team is selfish, that player won’t be playing. Given his emphasis on unselfish team play, he would not tolerate any player becoming a cancer.

Laffy
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 4:08 PM EDT

I don’t know all the stats, but I’d guess Watford has had more than one bad game this year.

And there aren’t many players in the country who have used less of their potential than Watford has.

twarrior87
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 4:13 PM EDT

Debbie… I think Watford was pressing last night, but its not something I feel is normally a problem. I don’t ever really remember thinking Watford was selfish before. He may have been pressing b/c there were 20+ NBA scouts in the stands last night, IDK.

To say he is a “cancer” on this team is a bit dramatic. He’s been here for 4 years. Through the bad times and has been a key contributor on this team. He had a bad game, it happens. The bright spot is even when our 2nd leading scorer only had 2pts, IU still blew UNC out of the gym.

I hope you were just writing that post in an emotional moment b/c if you really believe what you said your IU fan card should be stripped from you.

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 4:18 PM EDT

Debbie, you are the real cancer on all of the Hoosier Republic. I’ve read your comments in the past and they are all what one expects from an isolated, old, bitter, ignorant woman who knows she has begun to rot from the inside.

I hope you get some solace from knowing, there is no hope for it.

(And..in the quiet and secrecy of her private world, she thinks: ‘Ohhh, but for a minute with Watford…, as the temperature begins to rise. Coach, can I injure him a little bit?”)

Ben
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 4:34 PM EDT

I just depends I think on what CWat you get. Sometimes it’s the one way saw late last year, other times it looks as if he’s trying to sleep, while playing. Last night, looked as if he was nervous. Perhaps because of the scouts? This much is certain. If Watford decides to be lethargic, we are at a point where we can bench him.

Debbie is a dumby
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 4:37 PM EDT

Ya’ll know that Debbie and Firecrean2013 are probably the same person. Nothin but trolls…

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 4:57 PM EDT

To the President of the anti-Watford Society sitting away his ignorance posting to himself in the East Coast to veriify he still breathes(and repulsively enough, he is) and Florida State supporter obsessed with passing as a Hoosier because he hates them because IU turned down his application: First, wipe that drivel of your chin, clean up that snot (no!! not with your shirt sleeve or your pant front!)

Watford and his place in this team are absolutely fundamental and organic. He is the Hoosiers, especially when he struggles. He is, in many ways, an allegory of our last decade’s Hoosier reality. There would be 10-15 very unhappy, depressed players if something happened to Christian, no less so than the impact that Mo’s injury had on this team for two entire years. When Mo went down, we went down.

Obviously, you’ve never been a part of a Brotherhood where your own existence and experience take a meaning only through that of the rest of the Brotherhood. You’ll never understand that for the same reason you’ll never understand being a Hoosier…because you’ve never been one and because it doesn’t fit into your ‘model’, where mommy and daddy laid everything out for you expecting to protect you from,…exactly, being a Hoosier! Sad to grow up as an X or described as the proverbial ‘black box’.

Have a little respect for OUR way, the Hoosier Way. We know people struggle, we know the capacity we have to F* things up. And we accept that; more… we assume it as a part of us. I’ve had moments when I’ve felt sorry for you; but then you reappear, a disease bearing virus that requires wearing a mask. Slide back into your latrine hole and hope the United Nations finds a way and the funds to fumigate you into disappearing, sort of like an endemic disease.

Christian Watford…our Hero! There are literally millions of Hoosiers who have his back and would lay their shirts down on top of this virus to protect him from walking on it, even wearing insulated rubber boots and a protective rubber suit. Shoo disease, shoo!

As I said, disappear you imptnt (hint, o after the p and e after the first t) little excretion. Hoosiers are not disease bearing.

E.J. Update
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:03 PM EDT

Hey Tsao, Debbie=Karen.

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:21 PM EDT

Ben is a close to what may have happened to CWat. His defensive assignment was the McAdoo kid and McAdoo, an otherwise very good player, got position and some early points on him. The IU approach was based on controlling McAdoo and keeping him from going inside.

CWat realized this. This was happening in front of the 25-30 scouts whohad comandeered their freebies to watch exactly this type of head to head confrontation. And, CWat thought ‘the only thing at stake is my career and my life after IU’. At that point you could have thrown a pass at his hands in front of him and hit his nose. You could literally see him deflate like a birthday baloon. And, his offensive basketball started squeaking and crazily floating through the air like popped balloons do.

You know what CWatt. It’s happened to every individual that ever has an ounce of expectation from themselves? You know what else…**it happens! Go to practice, take shots from 57 feet out, grab Jurkins and throw him in the toilet, gop up to Coach Crean and say “keep listening to me Crean and you” become a good coach; call Hulls ‘shorty’ and Zeller ‘wheat shaft’, moon AD Glass or Coach Buckley and laugh…lots of laughing. You’ve done something exceptional…you f***** something up, no one has ever, ever done that, not among the 17,000 plus millions who watched you do it.

And because you did, at the end of the year you know what they are going to call you. Champion! (At that point face your audience in the NBA Draft Parade and, wearing a crimson red glove, and holding the thumb and forefinger and the fourth and pink finger in your other hand, lift the one finger in the middle straight up in the air. It will loo a whole lot like the I in the IU logo (without the U)

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:29 PM EDT

Hey EJ…Debbie=Karen=0… but life during m***pause sucks just the same. They call it irritable syndrome. Known to happen to people who have had full-filling relationships that only last a short time (measured in seconds).

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:40 PM EDT

Laffy…don’t guess look it up. CWat has played well to this point (do look it up). Part of CWatts ‘unfairly gained fame’ is that his movement (his gait and body build in particular) appear ‘not-urgent’. He can’t help that. Just like Toby always hold his head as if he is not getting enough oxygen that high. (until you see him run). Look…he had a generally bad night. I have them, you have them, Chet has them…even HfH, one of the happiest, optimistic individuals I ever came across had a bad moment here and there.

Give him a break…he’s more than earned it. (Consider this, if you don’t HfH will come back and tell us about the tragedies of people born in the back seat of a car).

Geoff
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:48 PM EDT

Yep, now I’m the President of the Anti-Watford Society…

And, I know this hurts Tsao, but if I had applied to IU, not only would I have been accepted (my wonderful IU graduate parents passed on genes decent enough for an academic scholarship), but I would have gone for free, since they were professors. Instead I chose to go elsewhere because of my love for the game of basketball, and desire to play at the college level.

I may never be a Hoosier like you Tsao, but at least I’ll never be a prick like you either. It’s no wonder you and Bobby get along so well. 2 old, stubborn dicks.

Don’t worry though Tsao. I forgive you. It’s more for me than you… Ya know.

Zeller=POTY
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:56 PM EDT

Debbie, that is the most ignorant rant that I have read on here this year. Take your medication and go back to knitting socks for your cat friends. On a more positive note, does anyone else think that we could have taken every spot in the top ten plays segment of ESPN? This team is incredibly fun to watch when they bring their A game.

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 6:26 PM EDT

Just the thought that I don’t ever have to accept you are a Hoosier is enough to satisfy my sense that God knew what he was doing when He went liberal and opened up admission to breathing mechanisms.

By the way, don’t ever think for one second people who read the blog don’t get the ‘I’m better than being a Hoosier’ cr*p that oozes out of many of your posts. You seem to enjoy proving ‘they’re farmers’. That’s kind of a game for you, isn’t it? There-by, goofy, the origin for my very deep but satisfying dislike for you. By the way, did you go to high school around these parts? I’ll bet not…’not our goofy, cute little clown ballerina’. ‘We raised him that way because that he was we wanted to keep him away from the ‘common folk’ and farmers’, ohh well, Noblesse Oblige..

I do doubt

DT
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 6:44 PM EDT

You people and your Watford bashing. This is nothing new for him. The only difference is the improvement of everyone around him and the team in general. He will have a monster game is a couple weeks and shut all you people up.

Ben
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 7:30 PM EDT

Your right DT Watford will have a big game. Its not if, its when. You just never know who your going to get. Will you get Watford from the end of last year, or Watford who makes googly eyes at the bench, thinking its a King Size Serta bed, with huge pillows? Everyone has a bad night, but he has been around the block enough to know what he is doing.

Chet
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 9:38 PM EDT

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see CWat drop 27 next game, not that I want him to. We don’t need ANYONE to score 27 points. He’s become a premier rebounder and he will always be a great spot up shooter. He’s proven himself as a defender in the past, McAdoo just wasn’t a good matchup for him.

It’s all good.

Geoff
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 9:40 PM EDT

Yep… Ever been to Maine? It’s about 90% farm and forest… About 20 wild turkeys nest in the trees between me and my neighbors. You actually pay attention and believe the nonsense that HfH writes… That’s good stuff. If being a true Hoosier means I have to have a constant inferiority complex and paranoia then count me out. You and Harvard can be the “real Hoosiers” and I’ll just be content to be a die-hard, Indiana-born, Indiana University men’s basketball fan.

Maine:
90% of US lobster supply
99% of US blueberry crop
4th largest supplier of potatoes in US

Apparently Harvard has you convinced we’re a bunch of anti-agrarian, Establishment, city-slickers.

You’ve got me so pegged Tsao.

Chet
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:00 PM EDT

Maine’s beautiful and waaay more rural than Indiana.

I thought Harvard once said he didn’t actually attend IU. Am I mistaken?

IKE
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:35 PM EDT

This is just a random comment that I wanted to draw everyone’s attention to if you like basic bball stats. Jordan Hulls has improved or held steady the following averages over his four years here: PPG (6.4, 11.0, 11.7, 13.0), RPG (2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 3.0), APG (1.5, 2.9, 3.3, 4.4), SPG (0.6, 0.9, 1.1, 1.4), 3P% (40.2, 41.4, 49.3, 55.0), FG% (40.6, 48.2, 50.4, 58.2), PF (1.9, 1.9, 1.9, 1.4). he is also only averaging 0.7 TPG, and his assist to turnover ratio is a gaudy 6.3:1!

Lesson is: Hulls is a hell of a hard worker and the model for player development over a full four year career. I believe that if he tried he could average 20 PPG this year easily, but he is so much of a team player and gets everyone else involved. I have to be honest and say I wasn’t too thrilled about him at first even though I watched him in high school, but he just keeps surprising people and silencing those who thought he was slow, small, and just a shooter.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:54 PM EDT

IKE, thanks for the stats. That is impressive evidence of Hulls improvement over four years. But I think the only stat Hulls cares about is the number of W’s he and his teammates put up this year. I really don’t think he cares about anything else. Hoosier fans sense that and we love him for it.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:58 PM EDT

Geoff and Tsao, you boys need a truce. Just ignore each other and instead, focus your comments on IU’s great basketball team. They’re too much fun to be wasting your time and energy barking insults at each other.

“Can’t we all just get along?”

Chet
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 11:19 PM EDT

Po,
Couldn’t agree more. This has just kinda spiraled. Reading their posts in isolation you’d think they were on the same page.

Guys, put on your big fella clothes. This is nibbling at the edges of stupid.

Why are you posting here? Who are you a fan of? Do you agree about the direction and the objectives of CTC and the Hoosiers?

Why the f*#& are you two feuding with each other.

Quick quiz. Do you think the Harvard/Laffy feud is stupid? (no offense intended Harvard and/or Laffy, JMO)

Think about that.

Geoff
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 12:51 AM EDT

I get it. I like to talk bball during the season. I should just stick to my instincts that no one really pays attention to what Tsao or Harvard says, except the core Scoopers… And they’ve already formed their opinion of me. No need to defend myself as a fan.

I formally relinquish the title of Hoosier, in favor going forward of Indiana University Basketball Fan.

Now that I can admit that to myself, Tsao should be able to rest easy, and I don’t have to feel insulted if he says otherwise.

here is my semi-annual apology for getting caught up in sideline BS.

psych
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 1:33 AM EDT

Geoff,

I am not even a native Hoosier. I likely will never live there either. My 70-year-old father is a native Hoosier, born and raised. He, and his high school team, the Crawfordsville Athenians, made the 1959 championship, only to be crushed throughougly by Fort Wayne South Side. Tsao, not sure if you lived in Indiana during that time, but you are about the same age as my father, so you may remember listening to that game on the radio. I certainly know my Dad was listening to the Milan/Muncie Central game on his radio in 1954. He moved to Minnesota in 1975, due to a number of factors, but has not moved since, leading to me being born a Minnesotan (and damn proud of it). By birthright, he should be a Purdue fan. He grew up 25 minutes from West Lafayette, and had most of his family members attend Purdue (including his mother getting her MAE there), but he has always been an Indiana fan, through and through (although honestly, I do not think he fully hates Purdue like most people on this board).

Why the long post about my father? Since the moment I was born, I was a Hoosier fan. My earliest sports memory is of me crying my eyes out on my kitchen counter at the age of 5 when Indiana lost to Duke in the 1992 Final Four, with my Dad trying to console me, but failing miserably. Damon Bailey is STILL my favorite IU player (although Hulls is creeping up there), and if Alan Henderson’s knees had held up in ’93, IU would have 6 banners hanging from Assembly Hall, of that, I do not doubt (even if not realistic). I have stuck with IU basketball through thick and thin, and even though I never have called Indiana home, nor attended IU (although I was accepted and almost went), I still consider myself a Hoosier fan. Hell, Geoff even has native-born Hoosier on his resume. The great thing for me is, I do not really care whether you consider people like Geoff or me fans, despite the fact Geoff is an excellent poster who provides helpful analysis (for me at least), and who CLEARLY loves IU. I mean seriously, outside of the Purdue/UK trolls on here, who would take that much time out of their day to post on here if they didn’t love IU?

Geoff, I think REAL Hoosier fans will accept you wanting to love “their” team, without the holier-than-thou attitude that Tsao apparently cannot escape, along with his seeming ease to espouse in one post, and then ignore in the next, his no name-calling shtick. It gets old, Tsao, it really does. Every one of us (including you) provides an element to this board that is worth reading, but calling out fans like Geoff for living in Maine (and not attending IU) as pretender fans, or claiming they think they’re better than Hoosiers, is ridiculous.

Laffy
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 1:39 AM EDT

I like Geoff putting TT in his place. And I hate the “fake fan” crap except for obvious cases like FC13 who has no interest in the program at all and just worshipped the old coach and has been bitter since he got fired.

J Pat
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 9:13 AM EDT

There was a time when people got along on this blog…about 4 years ago or so people had a mutual respect for one another and it was not like this. Back when it was mainly Mike P, GFdave, KevinK…and a few others…minor stuff but not like this. I don’t blame Dustin for this…times have changed. I don’t blame Tsao or Geoff or anyone…times have changed, society has changed in a short time. People have lost that common respect…that fiber is what is missing in our school system and is not being taught at home either! I am taking a class on ethics and we had an entire lecture on blogs and how easy it is to sling mud and say things in a harsher way than you would in person. It is sad to me that we are all Hoosiers (most of us anyway) and cheer for IU and this basketball team just hammered UNC and people are going back and forth with feelings obviously hurt. I have been there. Whether you are 70 years old, in college or like me…mid 30′s…let’s find that common/mutual respect again. If someone says something different than what you feel…be nice with a reply, don’t be an ASS!!! This is awful!!! Dustin, shut it down for a week and boot it back up and I guarantee everyone will chill out!!!

HT
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 9:35 AM EDT

Painfully true, JPat. And the banter in here is nothing compared to what you see when you read an article online and scroll down to the comments.

Maybe one day we’ll all have to have an “internet ID card,” with a picture attached, to be able to post online. Sort of like in everyday society, how we have to have a body and a face attached to our mouths when we open them. That seems to hold people pretty accountable for what they say – or at least more so.

It would be for the better. Some people will cry “violation of rights,” but those “rights” didn’t exist 20 years ago before the internet, so society really wouldn’t be taking away anything unalienable. The internet is a privilege.

Geoff
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:12 AM EDT

ANNOUNCEMENT!

ok, now that I grabbed your attention for another second…

It looks like there’s about a 90% chance that I will have at least 1 more ticket (possibly 2) to the IU/PSU game at State College.

If you are also about 90% sure you’d like to go, or if your decision hinges on your ability to bring your spouse, let me know.

If you want to put a card in your Xmas tree for your son to open and take him on a road trip for a father/son bonding trip… I’ll reserve a second ticket and boot my step-brother who is 50/50 on going anyway. Great (and cheap, except for gas) XMAS present!

Game is Jan 7, which is a Monday.

Join Dustin, Mass Hoosier, and the rest of my gang in PA for what should be a nice road win… (tix are free to my blogging friends – including Tsao)

Happy Holidays!

Geoff
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 12:16 PM EDT

psych – thanks… my earliest sports memories are of my father and I picking players off the 1980-81 and 81-82 team posters on my playroom wall (in our Bloomington house), and then pretending we were them on my mini nerf hoop. I thought Uwe Blab was the funniest name… Isiah, of course, was my favorite. I was 6.

Shortly after my parents divorced and I moved to Maine. My father of course also packed up his love for his alma mater and brought it with.

My mother and step-father moved to Tallahassee and taught at FSU (thus my love for their football team)… Some of my other fond childhood memories are being a ballboy for the FSU basketball team in the mid-80′s, especially the night they hosted #1 Louisville (in a Metro Conference game) which had Pervis Ellison, Kenny Payne, Felton Spencer, etc. I made sure I rebounded every one of Never Nervous’s shots and passed them back during warm-ups. Another great memory was being at an FSU/Miami football game in the late 80′s (obviously both teams in their heyday) when Burt Reynolds un-announced came out and spiked the Burning Spear before the game. It’s hard to explain being part of 70,000 people all doing the Tomahawk Chop (the original) and singing the war chant in unison… especially when you’re 12.

Those parents then went on to the Metroplex, where I spent the early 90′s in HS… in a suburb of Dallas. (so no, Tsao, I didn’t go to HS in Indiana). Whole different set of sports memories there with the Cowboys (a good friend and teammates’s father was a VP at Love Field and we used to sit in Ross Perot’s luxury box a couple times a year) and Rangers (we had 4 season tickets when Nolan Ryan was breaking all his records and the Rangers were in all their roided glory).

But my first sports memories will always be playing nerf basketball with my dad in the dining room he converted into our play area pretending we were Hoosiers.

I guess I’m still pretending today.

TJAUBURN
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 1:39 PM EDT

I have to agree about Watford! How can you not get up for North Carolina???????? He is a senior,he needs to lead not disappear! We cannot afford any more of the no-show,everyone wants to take I.U. OUT! I know he made the SHOT but that was then this is now and it was great but you cannot live in the past! We need Watford now more than every because we are so short! And he will show up now for the next game and become a MIA for BUTLER,this continued pattern of play will push him further down the draft list! At least CTC has a handle on it and just sits him out ,and Shehey just rips it up!

Chet
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:00 PM EDT

Lee Corso had tons of stories about his FSU days with Burt Reynolds.

Chet
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:02 PM EDT

I never went to VT or Cornell but I’m a fan.

#44 Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:18 PM EDT

I sensed that Watford is intimidated by the improved talent around him, leading to a lack of self confidence right now. Or he could have been carrying the flu which we already know had hit Zeller previously. The way Watford carried himself with the low hanging head, slow responses after stoppage of play would be explained by either of these circumstances. Anyway, it’s one horrible game, now in the past for him & us. Hopefully, things change, we’ll see Sat. Regardless, this team still needs Watty.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 3:11 PM EDT

I was born in Indiana..Both parents born in Indiana(neither of my parents were college educated, but both had wonderful talents and unbelievable drive. They built a very good life for us). All my schooling was accomplished in Indiana(right up through the 7th grade). I always dreamed to live somewhere else. I envy most of you that have made your own lives far away from your childhood days.

Your heart is bonded to the core of some great times with your dad that occurred in Indiana. Nobody has a right to diminish those snapshots of loving experiences and simple fun with your dad.

My earliest memories of Bloomington are when my sister was attending IU. She took me down to the campus when I was about 15 years old. My dad and mom were so consumed with a growing business that they didn’t have much time during those years. It was my sister that always had my back and got me out of the small town I was being swallowed into. She took me to my first Cubs game..She took me to the King Tut exhibit in Chicago when it first toured the United States.. She’s the one that had the time when my mom was abusing alcohol and buried in the bottle and dad was buried in the walls his business 24/7. Count yourself blessed that you were able to move around and be exposed to more than corn.

I have Indiana fungus on the brain. I wish I could “pretend” it weren’t there. You’re no less a Hoosier for the time not spent here. If anything, you’re more a Hoosier because the experiences are important enough to you to eclipse the dimensions most of us find foolish entitlement to something. Playing around at some Nerf ball hoops with his son is about the most unimaginable thing in the world that I could ever picture from my “all business” dad. My dad never attended any of my high school football or basketball games. He could never escape the trappings of being the figurehead/CEO his world built from balance sheets, inventory, and 70 hour work weeks. He lost out at a shot to play college football while going to fight for his country.

Feel blessed your memories of Indiana hoops are based on what you were given rather than being based on what you longed for. I don’t see that as pretending. If anything, Harvard pretends.

Loved playing Nerf hoops with a couple buddies my college dorm days. I could finally do all those Dr. J moves and Darryl Dawkins dunks (The slam at the 1:33 mark was slightly less spectacular than to my best Nerf move).

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 3:13 PM EDT

oops…The above post was intended to be addressed to Geoff.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 3:45 PM EDT

And for those of you burying Watford only seven games into the season….?

Please remember this is a different age. This isn’t cheap talk down at the Bloomington barber shop. This isn’t purposefully forgetful Floyd giving you nice trim and a friendly shave with the deadly blade on your next visit. He needs your return business. Harvard would much rather enjoy feeding your business back into your mouth when it will once again be proven how foolish the premature death certificate issued for Watford. Where are we against VCU in last year’s NCAA tournament without Christian’s flurry in the final minutes of the first half? I am not Floyd. I will tear you to shreds with the cut-and-paste and throw a “Watford’s ship has sailed” pie in the form of your old posts back in your face.

And please don’t judge a kid that didn’t get up for a game overly hyped by ESPN. Where was the hype when Butler destroyed UNC at the Maui Classic….a Butler team hardly anymore talented than ISU also embarrassed the great Roy Williams and his Establishment blue from NC.

Poor ‘Establishment Blue’..It never is quite up to snuff when it doesn’t have a solid talent or pivotal(“everything hinges on..”) man in the middle plucked from Indiana.

Think of “hillbilly” as Floyd…Here I come, Laffy.
Jordy gets so abused! Worst defender in all of college basketball..clip, clip, clip. Get out the clippers.

Geoff
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 3:55 PM EDT

Thanks Harv… You know I’m not anti-Watford right?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 4:10 PM EDT

Yeah, I know.

Hollowell is coming along nicely.

Crean deserves plenty of credit for finding hidden talent, but I do believe Sheehey and Hulls are benefiting immensely from the new speed in the backcourt courtesy of Yogi.

We are far from riding this wave of early dominance without the play-making and penetration/kick-outs that Ferrell is bringing to the floor. He’s is the reason for a ton of wide-open looks.

Watford’s versatility will be more vital in a few weeks when we hit some very strong BIG teams with great defenders in the backcourt. Our guards will have less looks, but Watford will still be the guy most difficult to find an answer.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 4:13 PM EDT

oops. “He’s the reason….”

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 5:27 PM EDT

…it’s time again for Christian to swim faster…

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 5:38 PM EDT

02:19 SUB OUT: Graham, Treveon
TURNOVR by Zeller, Cody 01:50
01:49 STEAL by Brandenberg, Rob
01:47 33-42 V 9 GOOD! LAYUP by Brandenberg, Rob [FB/PNT]

GOOD! 3 PTR by Watford, Christian 01:15
36-42 V 6
REBOUND (DEF) by Oladipo, Victor 00:55 MISSED LAYUP by Reddic, Juvonte

GOOD! 3 PTR by Watford, Christian [FB] 00:48
39-42 V 3
ASSIST by Oladipo, Victor 00:48
00:23 TURNOVR by Brandenberg, Rob
00:23 SUB IN : Haley, D.J.
00:23 SUB OUT: Reddic, Juvonte
GOOD! FT SHOT by Watford, Christian 00:10 40-42 V 2 FOUL by Burgess, Bradford (P2T7)
GOOD! FT SHOT by Watford, Christian 00:10 41-42 V 1

There’s is no Sweet 16 appearance without those two minutes…A very athletic VCU team, a team destroying our backcourt and ready to send a disheartened bunch of Hoosiers into the halftime locker room with a real sense of fear and doubt until Christian Watford decided it wasn’t going to happen. In less than two minutes he shocked VCU, brought hope back to a Hoosier team with no answer the VCU pressure, and changed the entire complexion of the game.

We didn’t have Yogi last year. We had Remy and Watford bringing the versatility, strength, and athleticism that allowed us to survive a team with speed at every position. Seth Davis had his prediction for lunch because of Remy and Watford.

We’ll all remember the friendly bounce off a miss that Many talk of Watford as only being a one shot wonder against Kentucky. That’s pure BS. Look at what he did down the stretch of our Big 10 season. Look how he didn’t wither away into passiveness against a VCU team that had Jordy Hulls looking so absent the usual guts and gumption in his glorious winning attitude. Defeat was in the eyes until Watford answered the bell to not go down to a VCU team that was ready for the knockout blow.

I remember the tons of criticism aimed at Eric Gordon for not showing up in the NCAA tournament. I didn’t think it was fair. He had a bad game. The team was in turmoil.

Christian Wafford has proven to be unafraid when big moments come pounding on the door. I certainly don’t go looking for the rope and gallows(like many did to Eric Gordon when he didn’t show up at a NCAA tournament game against Arkansas) when he has an off night in Bloomington only a few weeks into the season.

Didn’t Jordy pull a Eric Gordon against VCU? Just think of the hate mail that would have been sent to Jordy’s house if we didn’t have Christian Watford putting a team on his back.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 6:11 PM EDT

Might be time for Roy Williams to start swimming faster. Ya think?

Nothing like getting the crap kicked out of you by Butler and Indiana..Good thing UNC didn’t have ISU, Valpo, ND, or Purdue on their schedule..Hell, I’m pretty confident Evansville and Ball State could have swam stroke for stroke with UNC. I don’t think UNC would have fared much better against the “cupcakes” of our great basketball state.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We have looked very strong, but the road in the Big 10 will be when we need the height and versatility of Watford(though the insurgence of speed at both ends provided by Yogi in the backcourt can also patch a lot of holes in our team that versatility/inside-outside play from Watford was plugging last season).

That was a very immature UNC team that was lacking in synergy…also lacking a key player sidelined from injury. Christian picked a good night to do a bit of carefree backstroking. The star on UNC was absent and the limelight on the game was rather concocted. It was no mystery to any of the Hoosiers what an unranked Butler team made of UNC a week earlier.

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 8:12 PM EDT

Every candy striper on the floor and bench was up for that UNC game but Watford. Why? Moments of the past, height and versatility are well placed positive thoughts but after 3 full seasons inconsistency is his M.O. and that negative is bigger. That negative for CW is a bigger problem this season than in the past, as Coach Crean has options. Play up to your potential or sit, your choice.

Chet
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 8:25 PM EDT

I grew up in a house with an avid UK fan father who was a slightly lesser U of L fan. He occasionally took me to games. I saw Wes Unseld set the single game scoring record and saw Jim Plunkett complete a long bomb to Terry Beasley when UK played Auburn. God bless my Dad but he never understood either game. Once, during a kickoff return he exasperatedly said, “Why do they ALWAYS run right where all the other players are?”

Hey, he was from Kaintuck.

Even when I a little kid I knew it wasn’t right to be living in Indiana and rooting for Kentucky teams (I quietly wanted them to lose. There’s probably some deep psychological message in there somewhere.). I found the radio station that carried IU games and listened to them all.

My kids (and my wife to a lesser extent) are big IU fans. One of my boys was the youngest camper at the Bobby Knight basketball camp one year. That was trial by fire.

I went to IU, and loved my time there, but I would probably be just as big a fan if I had not.

Laffy
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 9:04 PM EDT

Speaking of Kaintuck, they are getting spanked right now with only 25 points at the half.

LOL!!!

No wonder Calipari chickened out or we would have won by 40 at Rupp.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 9:36 PM EDT

Clarion-

I don’t know why Watford has his lulls. Hulls shall never have his lulls. I like the young man(Watford) and I don’t believe the UNC game will define the rest his season. The dynamics are changing…Yogi’s point guard play is changing all roles on the team. I see it as more of an adjustment period than old school “get your act together or this ship is sailing without you.” There is a point where you can play the Bobby Knight style of coaching, overly apply the target on the backs of certain kids percieved as not having the intensity desired, and demean to the point you lose their heart and interest.

Jason Collier, and many other former Hoosiers, received the slacker labels on went onto other programs to succeed. I would not hurt a young man’s confidence by getting too caught up in outsiders perceptions(I think that happened with Jordy last season).

Remy also had a very ugly game(minus his opening 3-pointer). He shot one frighteningly ugly air ball and took way to many drives to the basket without finishing or drawing the foul.

Bad night for two of my favorite Hoosiers…I’m confident they’ll bounce back. They are both supreme athletes and were instrumental to getting us over the hump last season. I can’t bail on them for a few bad outings.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 9:39 PM EDT

oops.

… way [too] many drives to the basket without finishing or drawing the foul.

psych
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 9:39 PM EDT

Nothing like sharing the stories of our childhood to bring us all back together. As multiple others have pointed out, we’re all here for a reason (minus the trolls): We love our Hoosiers, whether we live in Maine, North Carolina, Florida, Kentucky (sigh, I’ll get out eventually), or Argentina.

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 10:47 PM EDT

Chet,

Maybe I read it wrong as at times my bifocals should be trifocals but I am confused by the Jim Plunkett/Terry Beasley/Auburn/pUKe connection. Unless there were 2 Jim Plunketts, Stanford should be in the conversation somewhere in there.

Chet
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:02 PM EDT

Pat Sullivan. Brain fart.

Chet
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:04 PM EDT

I’m on an impressive amount of pain meds right now.

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:13 PM EDT

H4H,

Watford is painting a target on himself by disappearing when the rest of the team is defining aggressive play. The only role changed by the presence of YF is Hulls. Remy played with intensity and energy like the rest of the team while CW was content being the opposite. His lapses into disappearing is his problem and will cost him. In the not distant future Crean and staff will invest more tutelage with the options available in the program who do not need their alarm clocks set for them.

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:16 PM EDT

…now I get it…

Chet
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:38 PM EDT

I think CWat is fine. Much improved rebounder. Great spot up shooter. Same guy as always. Everyone else is just gotten SO much better. Imagine if he improved every year as much as Jordy.

He’s gonna be a really solid role player. I hope he’s OK with that.

It’s just everything in comparison. He used to be one of the best guys on the team. He hasn’t gotten worse. He’s actually gotten better.

But, then, so has everyone else.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:44 PM EDT

It’s all good, Clarion. There are more options for Crean because Yogi is providing all more opportunities. It isn’t just benefiting Hulls. It benefits guys like Sheehey..(e.g. Guys that can play well in transition, but may lack the inside-outside game a Watford can bring you). The effects of Yogi move through the entire dynamics on the floor.

Watford isn’t as vital when the guard play is stronger than our opponent. If Yogi finds things a little tougher against a bigger and stronger defender(limiting some of the transition and penetration), then Watford becomes a more important piece in maintaining the havoc.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:50 PM EDT

I agree with that comment, Chet…..with the addition that each player becomes slightly more interchangeable depending on the opponent. The options are a luxury the highly improved backcourt.

Comments