Report: Maryland votes to join Big Ten

ESPN is reporting that Maryland has voted to join the Big Ten. The Terrapins need conference approval, but the league is also looking to add Rutgers.

• cln #1

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 1:34 PM EDT

This is just weird. It feels like a coup if running a media empire. It feels like a loss if running an athletics conference. I guess we know which the B1G has become.

• Ron #2

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 3:33 PM EDT

Does BTN open more channels or does IU get less coverage.?

Maybe BTN can now buy a camera that has a zoom..? This current coverage of half-court all the game should be improved.

I used to think I could see the game better at home. Now my nose-bleed seats have better visibility than BTN.

• Podunker #3

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 3:49 PM EDT

Maryland and Rutgers? Why? There are better schools to pursue than these two. What am I missing?

• Dustin Dopirak #4

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 4:06 PM EDT

TV markets, Podunker. New York and D.C.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #5

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 4:29 PM EDT

Ahhhhh. Greivis Vasquez. Who could forget? And then there’s that loss to Maryland in the 2002 NCAA championship game. I can’t stand that pipsqueak, Blake, who plays for the Lakers.

Maryland could be a nice developing rivalry. And didn’t Bobby always have a lot of respect for Gary Williams? I like the chance to beat on some Establishment in Assembly Hall…as long as our Hoosier fans don’t bring out their Laffy tongues during the spankings(7:35 mark).

Some fine basketball tradition at Maryland.

• Big E #6

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 5:27 PM EDT

No one cares about Rutgers athletics-absolutely no one. Delaney is outsmarting himself and seriously diluting the B1G brand in the process. Notre Dame made sense to pursue as did Nebraska. Maybe Missouri, but Maryland? Weak, really weak.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #7

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 5:38 PM EDT

Does the ‘E’ stand for Establishment? Are you afraid your reputation may suffer by rubbing shoulders in a conference with corn growers?

• Harvard for Hillbillies #8

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 5:43 PM EDT

I’ve always liked Frankie Valli songs. I have absolutely nothing against Jersey.

• Podunker #9

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 8:25 PM EDT

Big E, you hit it right on the head. Rutgers? Come on, they’re not likely to move the needle. In fact, they’re more likely to dilute Big Ten revenue. I know a lot of New Yorkers (the city) and none of them identify with Rutgers. Maryland? Well, that makes more sense than Rutgers, but that’s not saying much.

So is this a contest to see who can have the biggest conference? What’s the benefit of having 14 or 16 schools in one conference? Are we going to have 20-school conferences in the near future? Looks like the Commissioner is doing some empire building.

• davis #10

Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 4:47 PM EDT

I gave up trying to explain collegiate conferences to my eleven year old son when he was nine. I used to speak of geography, shared culture, etc.

Can’t explain what you don’t understand. Yeah, Po, what’s the point of sixteen-team leagues? I understand that more TV sets = more $$$, but how is viewership sustained when a team in one divison only plays certain teams in the other division once every four years (or whatever)? I really don’t see how a Minn. – Maryland game will draw more viewers in a conf. format than it would otherwise. It’s unnatural and against the laws of nature!

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football