ScoopTalk: Hulls hits 1,000 and IU gets darn near 100

10 comments by   |   Friday, November 16, 2012 - 1:12 am EDT

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball, ScoopTalk

Hoosier Hysteria set for Oct. 25
IU basketball releases full non-conference schedule
When Max Hoetzel was a Globetrotter, albeit the tiniest one
IU makes Emmitt Holt signing official
Emmitt Holt's high school coach compares him to Draymond Green
Geoff
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 9:53 AM EDT

My 2 cents on the Watford thing… Crean said he “wanted an energy change” which I take to mean 2 things:

1¢) and most importantly, I believe Crean wanted to set an early tone of clearly defined intensity and havoc – both offensively and defensively. I will not outright accuse Watford of being lazy, inconsistent with effort, or un-intense… But I will say that his intensity doesn’t show… It isn’t clearly defined to the fans in Assembly Hall. Watford’s face doesn’t change expression much, he does everything at about the same smooth speed, he doesn’t really make highlight-reel plays, and he never (unless he is beating UK with a buzzer-beater) does any theatrics to pump up the crowd – its just not Wat’s demeanor. I also wonder how much Cody’s sickness played into it… Crean may very well have been concerned about the energy level and effectiveness of Cody to start the game. I’m guessing that Crean wanted to make a point FROM THE TIP-OFF that IU is here to get in your face and kick your ass… And I think he thought starting Sheehey gave them the best opportunity to set that mood in the building.

2¢) there was probably a bit of a message to Wat. Independent of this decision, and before this game, one of the things that I had noticed from the first 2 games is that Watford was the only one on the team FORCING shots. Everyone else seemed to be getting theirs in transition or the flow of the offense. I thought it was most noticeable in the first couple minutes of those 2 games as well… Before IU had gotten in to a flow. Part of that was on Crean, because he was obviously calling plays to start each game that featured Watford in the post, but most of it was on Wat for making poor decisions when he received the ball down there or in other spots. Heading into the SHST game Watford was shooting only 33% FG and was 1-6 on 3′s, and it was because very few of them were rhythm shots. Meanwhile the rest of the team was shooting 55% from the floor (53-97 FG).

So my guess is that Crean wasn’t concerned so much about Watford’s effort and wanting to make a point… I think he wanted to FEATURE Sheehey’s antics knowing the energy it would create with the crowd from word GO, and knowing that if Watford came in with the team already in an offensive flow that he would get shots in rhythm instead of forcing them.

Laffy
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 10:32 AM EDT

Posts like this is why Hillbilly is jealous and posts all his crap to get attention.

Geoff knows his basketball and Harvard can’t stand it.

Great job.

Chet
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 10:36 AM EDT

Good analysis, Geoff.

who?
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 2:18 PM EDT

Geoff, I agree with Chet and Laffy on your analysis except for one point. You should have stated: “My 3 cents”. 1¢ + 2¢ = 3¢. :)

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 4:57 PM EDT

Geoff’s post was extremely insightful.

Jealous? Are you kidding me? I’m really not in that league. Won’t ever pretend, nor desire, to give you the type of detailed and in-depth look to the core that Geoff can provide.

I sorta cheat when I watch hoops. When I first saw Remy play, my analysis went something like this.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 5:34 PM EDT

To Chet’s delight, a closer analysis of my predictions from last season serves as a long-awaited alternative to the repeated, ‘in your face,’ cut-and-paste.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 6:01 PM EDT

Don’t get me wrong, I respectfully stop to take full notice when Geoff becomes territorial and takes us down the road his deep insights. I totally appreciate the enormity when he opens up on here and really lets it flow. I love it when he breaks it all into segments.

Yale for city slickers
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 6:50 PM EDT

How long ago did you get banned from insidethehall Harvard?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 7:11 PM EDT

My bad…It’s Friday.

It was a very good post, Geoff. I think there’s always a bit of preaching to the choir in these “messages.” And far wiser to set an example, be the stern Generalesque teacher sending the loafer to the corner of the classroom, against a Sam Houston State than a Kentucky team/game your season may hinge upon.

I thought Watford handled it all like the champion I’ve always believed him to be. Sheehey stepped up nicely..But, again, it was Sam Houston State.

Heard a song last night that I haven’t heard played on the radio for years…It was being played on n a very small market station…a real ’70s gem and an oldie that I had completely forgotten. It’s like discovering a dusty old heartwarming photo in the deep reserves the mind’s filing cabinet. Such a mystery is the brain.

Hope you don’t mind that I share.

Lord of the Positive Vibe Contacts
Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 4:50 AM EDT

Bring back the Twilight Zest!

Comments

• Football. Number Crunching: #IUFB Game One - A look behind the numbers and notes that helped Indiana improve to 1-0 following a 28-10 win in week one vs. Indiana State at Memorial
  • W. Soccer. Ellis Elevates Hoosiers To OT Win - Sophomore Veronica Ellis worked her late-game magic for the Hoosiers tallying the winning goal in the 99th minute to give Indiana the 2-1 win at the Auburn University Soccer
  • Oladipo declares for the NBA - Indiana junior Victor Oladipo this afternoon announced he will be going to the NBA. IU coach Tom Crean
  • Video: Victor Oladipo headed to NBA - Earlier this afternoon Indiana junior Victor Oladipo joined head coach Tom Crean at Assembly Hall to
  • Video: Emmitt Holt talks decision to attend IU -

Emmitt Holt became the sixth member of Indiana’s 2014 recruiting class earlier this month when he committed to the Hoosiers on his official visit to Bloomington. The

• IU sets Hoosier Hysteria for Saturday, October 25 -

Hoosier Hysteria, Indiana’s annual opening practice that officially tips off the season, has a date for this fall. At Saturday’s Indiana-Indiana State football game at

• Indiana announces date for Hoosier Hysteria - Hoosier Hysteria is set for Saturday, Oct. 25, the school announced Saturday. More
  • Freshman April in walking boot - Freshman center Jeremiah April was in a walking boot Saturday at Memorial
  • Indiana 28, Indiana State 10: Running to Stand Still