ScoopTalk: Hulls hits 1,000 and IU gets darn near 100

10 comments by   |   Friday, November 16, 2012 - 1:12 am EDT

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball, ScoopTalk

ScoopTalk: Day 2 in Chicago — more stuff about Sudfeld
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Geoff
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 9:53 AM EDT

My 2 cents on the Watford thing… Crean said he “wanted an energy change” which I take to mean 2 things:

1¢) and most importantly, I believe Crean wanted to set an early tone of clearly defined intensity and havoc – both offensively and defensively. I will not outright accuse Watford of being lazy, inconsistent with effort, or un-intense… But I will say that his intensity doesn’t show… It isn’t clearly defined to the fans in Assembly Hall. Watford’s face doesn’t change expression much, he does everything at about the same smooth speed, he doesn’t really make highlight-reel plays, and he never (unless he is beating UK with a buzzer-beater) does any theatrics to pump up the crowd – its just not Wat’s demeanor. I also wonder how much Cody’s sickness played into it… Crean may very well have been concerned about the energy level and effectiveness of Cody to start the game. I’m guessing that Crean wanted to make a point FROM THE TIP-OFF that IU is here to get in your face and kick your ass… And I think he thought starting Sheehey gave them the best opportunity to set that mood in the building.

2¢) there was probably a bit of a message to Wat. Independent of this decision, and before this game, one of the things that I had noticed from the first 2 games is that Watford was the only one on the team FORCING shots. Everyone else seemed to be getting theirs in transition or the flow of the offense. I thought it was most noticeable in the first couple minutes of those 2 games as well… Before IU had gotten in to a flow. Part of that was on Crean, because he was obviously calling plays to start each game that featured Watford in the post, but most of it was on Wat for making poor decisions when he received the ball down there or in other spots. Heading into the SHST game Watford was shooting only 33% FG and was 1-6 on 3′s, and it was because very few of them were rhythm shots. Meanwhile the rest of the team was shooting 55% from the floor (53-97 FG).

So my guess is that Crean wasn’t concerned so much about Watford’s effort and wanting to make a point… I think he wanted to FEATURE Sheehey’s antics knowing the energy it would create with the crowd from word GO, and knowing that if Watford came in with the team already in an offensive flow that he would get shots in rhythm instead of forcing them.

Laffy
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 10:32 AM EDT

Posts like this is why Hillbilly is jealous and posts all his crap to get attention.

Geoff knows his basketball and Harvard can’t stand it.

Great job.

Chet
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 10:36 AM EDT

Good analysis, Geoff.

who?
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 2:18 PM EDT

Geoff, I agree with Chet and Laffy on your analysis except for one point. You should have stated: “My 3 cents”. 1¢ + 2¢ = 3¢. :)

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 4:57 PM EDT

Geoff’s post was extremely insightful.

Jealous? Are you kidding me? I’m really not in that league. Won’t ever pretend, nor desire, to give you the type of detailed and in-depth look to the core that Geoff can provide.

I sorta cheat when I watch hoops. When I first saw Remy play, my analysis went something like this.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 5:34 PM EDT

To Chet’s delight, a closer analysis of my predictions from last season serves as a long-awaited alternative to the repeated, ‘in your face,’ cut-and-paste.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 6:01 PM EDT

Don’t get me wrong, I respectfully stop to take full notice when Geoff becomes territorial and takes us down the road his deep insights. I totally appreciate the enormity when he opens up on here and really lets it flow. I love it when he breaks it all into segments.

Yale for city slickers
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 6:50 PM EDT

How long ago did you get banned from insidethehall Harvard?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 7:11 PM EDT

My bad…It’s Friday.

It was a very good post, Geoff. I think there’s always a bit of preaching to the choir in these “messages.” And far wiser to set an example, be the stern Generalesque teacher sending the loafer to the corner of the classroom, against a Sam Houston State than a Kentucky team/game your season may hinge upon.

I thought Watford handled it all like the champion I’ve always believed him to be. Sheehey stepped up nicely..But, again, it was Sam Houston State.

Heard a song last night that I haven’t heard played on the radio for years…It was being played on n a very small market station…a real ’70s gem and an oldie that I had completely forgotten. It’s like discovering a dusty old heartwarming photo in the deep reserves the mind’s filing cabinet. Such a mystery is the brain.

Hope you don’t mind that I share.

Lord of the Positive Vibe Contacts
Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 4:50 AM EDT

Bring back the Twilight Zest!

Comments

• Football. TODAY: Coach Wilson at ESPN - #IUFB head coach Kevin Wilson is in Bristol Thursday, July 31, for part of the #ESPNB1G Carwash. Follow @HoosierFootball on Twitter for complete
  • W. Swimming. Hoosiers Finish Day 1 of Junior Nationals - Members of the Indiana University swimming team wrapped up day one of competition at the 2014 Speedo Junior National Championships in Irvine,
  • Dakich fires back at 'the Baby Baron' - The Indiana-Kentucky rivalry bubbled back to the surface today, at least in terms of public discussion.
  • Leaf talks recruiting, third Indiana visit - Six-foot-9 four-star forward T.J. Leaf talks with Peegs.com about where his recruitment stands
  • What to watch for: Indiana in Montreal -

Indiana begins a five-game tour over six days in Montreal, Canada (with one game in Ottawa) on Aug. 8 which will be the first foreign trip for the program since 2007.

• 2015 guard Donovan Mitchell trims list to 10 schools -

One of the breakout stars of July, class of 2015 Brewster Academy (N.H.) guard Donovan Mitchell, trimmed his list of schools to 10 on Thursday morning. Mitchell, a 6-foot-3

• VIDEO: IU players talk improvement - Courtesy of IU Athletics, watch and listen to Indiana players talk about offseason improvements in their
  • What We Learned: July Evaluation Period - The July Evaluation period is now over. The Indiana coaching staff was busy all month. Here's five things we learned from the exhausting
  • The Thursday Thinker