Sports Illustrated picks Indiana No. 1, puts Cody Zeller on regional cover

13 comments by   |   Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 3:32 pm EDT

Sports Illustrated released its Top 25 on Tuesday and picked Indiana as its preseason No. 1, putting Cody Zeller on its regional covers.

No. 2 Louisville, No. 3 Kansas, No. 4 Kentucky and No. 5 North Carolina State round out SI’s Top Five. No. 6 Michigan and No. 7 Ohio State give the Big Ten two more teams in the top 10. Michigan State is No. 13 and Wisconsin is No. 22.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Report: Sheehey signs with team in Montenegro ... or not
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Monkey Man
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 4:02 PM EDT

Awesome. Great. Super.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 5:25 PM EDT

Have I mentioned lately how much I confer with Geoff on the great Hoosier basketball stories/insights that can be found by visiting ‘Inside the Hall?’

Why did this news not appear on Scoop..? Gee, I wonder.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 5:51 PM EDT

Harvard… I think you want to ‘concur’, I don’t generally see either you or Goofy as the ‘conferring’ types. (disclaimer: no cut down intended, just saying).

Goofy, its the second week of November. Time for your annual “God picked me to be the greatest analysts of basketball- NBA or college- and things wooden floor who ever lived, gave me a keen insight into His mind when he planned the idea of basketball into Dr. Naimsmith’s brain cells and feed my ability to look, strategize and know more than anyone whoever lived …and I have no idea why but I am Blessed…and had it not been that way He would have made me either 7’3″ ballet dancer/point guard or a soccer genius coach as well” rant. Looking forward to it. (or just photo copy last year’s, barely anyone will know the difference).

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 6:17 PM EDT

oops…You are correct. I certainly intended “concur.” Brain is toast.

HOOSIERPLUS
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 7:20 PM EDT

SI jinx Cody stay healthy

IUAlumChicago
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:06 PM EDT

Does anyone know when this cover actually hits the newsstands? When can we purchase it? Starting on Monday? Thanks in advance.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:37 PM EDT

Not sure. Didn’t know anyone but doctor’s offices still got SI. My ESPN the mag, with Cody on the cover, did get to me in the mail today – not regional…. MAINE!

Tsao – I’m glad my impact on you has been so great. I’ll see what I can come up with, but that’s a pretty broad request. Usually I need a focal point to start my rant before proclaiming my infallibleness.

I will give you this tidbit now Tsao… I am eagerly anticipating the announcement tonight that Maine join’s other states that have overcome bigotry and voted in marriage equality. That is absolutely and unequivocally the right thing to do, and I am proud to live in a state brave enough to stand up for the rights of it’s individual’s.

Dead Noodle
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:51 PM EDT

If he wants to confer let him confer.

Harvard you are being brainwashed.

Chet
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:10 PM EDT

I like conifers.

Geoff, I hope Maine does the right thing, as well.

I was in Saskatchewan shortly after the Tar Hell state voted to add bigotry to the state constitution. As I was checking into a motel the clerk, who was a member of an ethnic minority, saw North Carolina on my registration card. Assuming that I, too, was a bigot he gave me a hearty thumbs up and said, “Hey, North Carolina. Good job stopping those gays from getting married.”

I looked at him for a second and then informed him, “You know, those people who voted against gay people from marrying, if given the opportunity to vote on it, would ban YOU from marrying, too.”

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:14 PM EDT

Yeah, brainwashed….Kmart sucks. Three minutes ’til Wapner.

coachv
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 9:19 AM EDT

geoff,

i think the maine edition would definitely by regional. btw, “infallibleness” is not a word.

Geoff
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 9:52 AM EDT

It is now Coachv…

I hope we get more “regional” IU coverage up here then… I won’t hold my breath.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 8:35 PM EDT

The candy-stripe pants are cool again, and this will make them even cooler. Glad they never got changed. Great tradition.

Comments

• M. Soccer. Yarborough Named Head Coach at Stetson - Indiana University assistant coach Ernie Yarborough named head coach at Stetson
  • Football. TODAY: Coach Wilson at ESPN - #IUFB head coach Kevin Wilson is in Bristol Thursday, July 31, for part of the #ESPNB1G Carwash. Follow @HoosierFootball on Twitter for complete
  • FSU adds four-star Locksley to crowded QB class - In an interesting turn of events, four-star quarterback Kai Locksley from Baltimore (Md.) Gilman school committed to Florida State over
  • Berry enjoys MSU experience - Lorain, Ohio three-star Rashod Berry holds 10 scholarship offers, but decided to use his last visit of the summer to see a program that has
  • What to watch for: Indiana in Montreal -

Indiana begins a five-game tour over six days in Montreal, Canada (with one game in Ottawa) on Aug. 8 which will be the first foreign trip for the program since 2007.

• 2015 guard Donovan Mitchell trims list to 10 schools -

One of the breakout stars of July, class of 2015 Brewster Academy (N.H.) guard Donovan Mitchell, trimmed his list of schools to 10 on Thursday morning. Mitchell, a 6-foot-3

• Derrick Rose calls Oladipo 'big-time talent' - Victor Oladipo is a humble young player, but other NBA stars are talking notice of
  • Indiana among final 10 for Donovan Mitchell - 2015 guard Donovan Mitchell, the fastest-rising guard in the country, cut his list to 10 on Thursday, and Indiana made the
  • Spoiler Alert: TCQ Predicts #IUFB Season