Sports Illustrated picks Indiana No. 1, puts Cody Zeller on regional cover

13 comments by   |   Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 3:32 pm EDT

Sports Illustrated released its Top 25 on Tuesday and picked Indiana as its preseason No. 1, putting Cody Zeller on its regional covers.

No. 2 Louisville, No. 3 Kansas, No. 4 Kentucky and No. 5 North Carolina State round out SI’s Top Five. No. 6 Michigan and No. 7 Ohio State give the Big Ten two more teams in the top 10. Michigan State is No. 13 and Wisconsin is No. 22.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Hoosier Hysteria set for Oct. 25
IU basketball releases full non-conference schedule
When Max Hoetzel was a Globetrotter, albeit the tiniest one
IU makes Emmitt Holt signing official
Emmitt Holt's high school coach compares him to Draymond Green
Monkey Man
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 4:02 PM EDT

Awesome. Great. Super.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 5:25 PM EDT

Have I mentioned lately how much I confer with Geoff on the great Hoosier basketball stories/insights that can be found by visiting ‘Inside the Hall?’

Why did this news not appear on Scoop..? Gee, I wonder.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 5:51 PM EDT

Harvard… I think you want to ‘concur’, I don’t generally see either you or Goofy as the ‘conferring’ types. (disclaimer: no cut down intended, just saying).

Goofy, its the second week of November. Time for your annual “God picked me to be the greatest analysts of basketball- NBA or college- and things wooden floor who ever lived, gave me a keen insight into His mind when he planned the idea of basketball into Dr. Naimsmith’s brain cells and feed my ability to look, strategize and know more than anyone whoever lived …and I have no idea why but I am Blessed…and had it not been that way He would have made me either 7’3″ ballet dancer/point guard or a soccer genius coach as well” rant. Looking forward to it. (or just photo copy last year’s, barely anyone will know the difference).

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 6:17 PM EDT

oops…You are correct. I certainly intended “concur.” Brain is toast.

HOOSIERPLUS
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 7:20 PM EDT

SI jinx Cody stay healthy

IUAlumChicago
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:06 PM EDT

Does anyone know when this cover actually hits the newsstands? When can we purchase it? Starting on Monday? Thanks in advance.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:37 PM EDT

Not sure. Didn’t know anyone but doctor’s offices still got SI. My ESPN the mag, with Cody on the cover, did get to me in the mail today – not regional…. MAINE!

Tsao – I’m glad my impact on you has been so great. I’ll see what I can come up with, but that’s a pretty broad request. Usually I need a focal point to start my rant before proclaiming my infallibleness.

I will give you this tidbit now Tsao… I am eagerly anticipating the announcement tonight that Maine join’s other states that have overcome bigotry and voted in marriage equality. That is absolutely and unequivocally the right thing to do, and I am proud to live in a state brave enough to stand up for the rights of it’s individual’s.

Dead Noodle
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:51 PM EDT

If he wants to confer let him confer.

Harvard you are being brainwashed.

Chet
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:10 PM EDT

I like conifers.

Geoff, I hope Maine does the right thing, as well.

I was in Saskatchewan shortly after the Tar Hell state voted to add bigotry to the state constitution. As I was checking into a motel the clerk, who was a member of an ethnic minority, saw North Carolina on my registration card. Assuming that I, too, was a bigot he gave me a hearty thumbs up and said, “Hey, North Carolina. Good job stopping those gays from getting married.”

I looked at him for a second and then informed him, “You know, those people who voted against gay people from marrying, if given the opportunity to vote on it, would ban YOU from marrying, too.”

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:14 PM EDT

Yeah, brainwashed….Kmart sucks. Three minutes ’til Wapner.

coachv
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 9:19 AM EDT

geoff,

i think the maine edition would definitely by regional. btw, “infallibleness” is not a word.

Geoff
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 9:52 AM EDT

It is now Coachv…

I hope we get more “regional” IU coverage up here then… I won’t hold my breath.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 8:35 PM EDT

The candy-stripe pants are cool again, and this will make them even cooler. Glad they never got changed. Great tradition.

Comments

• Football. Number Crunching: #IUFB Game One - A look behind the numbers and notes that helped Indiana improve to 1-0 following a 28-10 win in week one vs. Indiana State at Memorial
  • W. Soccer. Ellis Elevates Hoosiers To OT Win - Sophomore Veronica Ellis worked her late-game magic for the Hoosiers tallying the winning goal in the 99th minute to give Indiana the 2-1 win at the Auburn University Soccer
  • Oladipo declares for the NBA - Indiana junior Victor Oladipo this afternoon announced he will be going to the NBA. IU coach Tom Crean
  • Video: Victor Oladipo headed to NBA - Earlier this afternoon Indiana junior Victor Oladipo joined head coach Tom Crean at Assembly Hall to
  • Juwan Morgan moves up official visit to Indiana -

Class of 2015 Waynesville (Mo.) forward Juwan Morgan, who had been scheduled to take an official visit to Bloomington later this month, has moved the visit up to this weekend.

• A closer look at Indiana’s non-conference schedule -

In case you missed it, Indiana announced its entire 2014-2015 schedule on Friday evening, including its 13-game non-conference slate. Now that we know each opponent, here’s a

• Indiana announces date for Hoosier Hysteria - Hoosier Hysteria is set for Saturday, Oct. 25, the school announced Saturday. More
  • Freshman April in walking boot - Freshman center Jeremiah April was in a walking boot Saturday at Memorial
  • Juwan Morgan Reconfigures His Visit Schedule