Sports Illustrated picks Indiana No. 1, puts Cody Zeller on regional cover

13 comments by   |   Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 3:32 pm EDT

Sports Illustrated released its Top 25 on Tuesday and picked Indiana as its preseason No. 1, putting Cody Zeller on its regional covers.

No. 2 Louisville, No. 3 Kansas, No. 4 Kentucky and No. 5 North Carolina State round out SI’s Top Five. No. 6 Michigan and No. 7 Ohio State give the Big Ten two more teams in the top 10. Michigan State is No. 13 and Wisconsin is No. 22.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Hoetzel, Johnson take shot at Derby Festival Classic
Arizona center commits to Indiana
Etherington posts that he will transfer to Butler
Monkey Man
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 4:02 PM EDT

Awesome. Great. Super.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 5:25 PM EDT

Have I mentioned lately how much I confer with Geoff on the great Hoosier basketball stories/insights that can be found by visiting ‘Inside the Hall?’

Why did this news not appear on Scoop..? Gee, I wonder.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 5:51 PM EDT

Harvard… I think you want to ‘concur’, I don’t generally see either you or Goofy as the ‘conferring’ types. (disclaimer: no cut down intended, just saying).

Goofy, its the second week of November. Time for your annual “God picked me to be the greatest analysts of basketball- NBA or college- and things wooden floor who ever lived, gave me a keen insight into His mind when he planned the idea of basketball into Dr. Naimsmith’s brain cells and feed my ability to look, strategize and know more than anyone whoever lived …and I have no idea why but I am Blessed…and had it not been that way He would have made me either 7’3″ ballet dancer/point guard or a soccer genius coach as well” rant. Looking forward to it. (or just photo copy last year’s, barely anyone will know the difference).

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 6:17 PM EDT

oops…You are correct. I certainly intended “concur.” Brain is toast.

HOOSIERPLUS
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 7:20 PM EDT

SI jinx Cody stay healthy

IUAlumChicago
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:06 PM EDT

Does anyone know when this cover actually hits the newsstands? When can we purchase it? Starting on Monday? Thanks in advance.

Geoff
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:37 PM EDT

Not sure. Didn’t know anyone but doctor’s offices still got SI. My ESPN the mag, with Cody on the cover, did get to me in the mail today – not regional…. MAINE!

Tsao – I’m glad my impact on you has been so great. I’ll see what I can come up with, but that’s a pretty broad request. Usually I need a focal point to start my rant before proclaiming my infallibleness.

I will give you this tidbit now Tsao… I am eagerly anticipating the announcement tonight that Maine join’s other states that have overcome bigotry and voted in marriage equality. That is absolutely and unequivocally the right thing to do, and I am proud to live in a state brave enough to stand up for the rights of it’s individual’s.

Dead Noodle
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 8:51 PM EDT

If he wants to confer let him confer.

Harvard you are being brainwashed.

Chet
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:10 PM EDT

I like conifers.

Geoff, I hope Maine does the right thing, as well.

I was in Saskatchewan shortly after the Tar Hell state voted to add bigotry to the state constitution. As I was checking into a motel the clerk, who was a member of an ethnic minority, saw North Carolina on my registration card. Assuming that I, too, was a bigot he gave me a hearty thumbs up and said, “Hey, North Carolina. Good job stopping those gays from getting married.”

I looked at him for a second and then informed him, “You know, those people who voted against gay people from marrying, if given the opportunity to vote on it, would ban YOU from marrying, too.”

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:14 PM EDT

Yeah, brainwashed….Kmart sucks. Three minutes ’til Wapner.

coachv
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 9:19 AM EDT

geoff,

i think the maine edition would definitely by regional. btw, “infallibleness” is not a word.

Geoff
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 9:52 AM EDT

It is now Coachv…

I hope we get more “regional” IU coverage up here then… I won’t hold my breath.

Podunker
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 8:35 PM EDT

The candy-stripe pants are cool again, and this will make them even cooler. Glad they never got changed. Great tradition.

Comments

• W. Tennis. No. 16 Michigan Tops the No. 48 Hoosiers - The No. 48 Indiana Hoosiers fell to the No. 16 Michigan Wolverines 6-1 on Saturday on the IU Varsity Tennis
  • M. Golf. Hoosiers Tied for Eighth in Strong Field at Boilermaker Invitational - The Indiana men's golf team finished the first two rounds of the Boilermaker Invitational at the Kampen Course with a team score of 596 (301-295), putting them in a tie for eighth
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Black Key Bulls, Teter capture Spring Series - Black Key Bulls and Teter captured the men’s and women’s white jerseys, respectively in dominating fashion Saturday, winning in Team Pursuit. In the men’s finals, Black Key
  • Coaches check in on top-20 prospect - Four-star 2016 forward T.J. Leaf of California remains a hot commodity. See what schools have
  • Three-star Quarterback Has Great Visit - Three-star Washington (D.C.) Gonzaga signal caller Nick Johns visited College Park on Friday and Maryland coaches made quite an
  • Photo Gallery: Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Check out 30 photos by Jamie Owens from Friday’s Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall featuring IU signees Max Hoetzel and Robert

• Video: Hoetzel, Johnson talk Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Future Indiana teammates Max Hoetzel and Robert Johnson were teammates in Friday’s 2014 Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall, falling

• Etherington Finds Perfect Fit - Indiana transfer Austin Etherington has chosen Butler after a visit on
  • The Thursday Thinker