Your weekly irrelevant Indiana football depth chart

13 comments by   |   Monday, November 5, 2012 - 5:33 pm EDT

Presented with the weekly Kevin-Wilson-doesn’t-care-about-this caveat, the IU football weekly depth chart follows.

Points of mild interest. Linebackers Forisse Hardin and Chase Hoobler are listed as co-starters on the strong side and cornerbacks Brian Williams and Kenny Mullen are listed as co-starters. Left guard Collin Rahrig remains ahead of Bernard Taylor. Cameron Coffman remains listed as the starting quarterback, which of course doesn’t mean he can’t get pulled after a drive and return before the second half.

Additional note, four redshirt juniors have apparently opted to not play their fifth years and to be honored as seniors in Saturday’s Senior Day festivities. They are fullbacks Dimitrious Carr-Watson and Mike Carter, offensive tackle Charlie Chapman and punter Chad Roggeman.

Rest of the depth chart follows.

LT
78 Jason Spriggs, 6-7, 268, Fr./Fr.
74 Charlie Chapman, 6-6, 300, Sr./Jr.
LG
64 C ollin Rahrig, 6-2, 278, Jr./So.
73 Bernard Taylor, 6-2, 292, So./So.
C
60 Will Matte, 6-2, 292, Sr./5th
64 Collin Rahrig, 6-2, 278, Jr./So.
RG
67 Dan Feeney, 6-4, 293, Fr./Fr.
76 Cody Evers, 6-4, 304, Jr./So.
RT
59 Peyton Eckert, 6-6, 293, So./So.
57 Pete Bachman, 6-5, 285, Jr./So.
WR
1 Shane Wynn, 5-7, 157, So./So.
84 Jamonne Chester, 6-2, 210, Sr./Jr.
WR
3 C ody Latimer, 6-3, 208, So./So.
81 Duwyce Wilson, 6-3, 195, Sr./Jr.
WR
13 Kofi Hughes, 6-2, 210, Jr./Jr.
14 Nick Stoner, 6-1, 173, So./So.
QB
2 C ameron Coffman, 6-2, 191, So./So.
7 Nate Sudfeld, 6-5, 218, Fr./Fr.
RB
12 Stephen Houston, 6-0, 218, Sr./Jr.
20 D’Angelo Roberts, 5-10, 195, So./So.
6 Tevin Coleman, 6-1, 200, Fr./Fr.
TE
83 T ed Bolser, 6-6, 250, Sr./Jr.
85 Charles Love III, 6-3, 240, Sr./5th
DEFENSE
LE
25 Ryan Phillis, 6-3, 261, Jr./So.
95 Bobby Richardson, 6-3, 279, So./So.
DT
97 L arry Black, Jr., 6-2, 294, Sr./5th
99 Adarius Rayner, 6-2, 292, So./Fr.
DT
98 Adam Replogle, 6-3, 294, Sr./Sr.
75 Nicholas Sliger, 6-3, 290, Sr./5th
RE
33 Zack Shaw, 6-3, 245, So./Fr.
96 John Laihinen, 6-4, 250, Jr./So.
SLB
4 Forisse “Flo” Hardin, 6-1, 208, So./So. -or-
47 C hase Hoobler, 6-2, 242, Jr./So.
MLB
42 David Cooper, 6-1, 225, Jr./So.
55 Jake Michalek, 6-2, 242, Jr./So.
WLB
49 G riffen Dahlstrom, 6-3, 226, Sr./Jr.
51 Kyle Kennedy, 6-3, 232, So./Fr.
LCB
28 Antonio Marshall, 5-11, 188, Sr./Jr.
23 Lawrence Barnett, 5-10, 187, Sr./Jr.
S
37 Mark Murphy, 6-2, 206, So./So.
36 Tim Bennett, 5-9, 181, So./So.
S9
G reg Heban, 6-1, 191, Sr./Jr.
8 Drew Hardin, 6-0, 208, Jr./So.
RCB
7 B rian Williams, 6-0, 185, Jr./So. -or-
22 Kenny Mullen, 5-10, 180, So./So.
SPECIAL TEAMS
K
16 Mitch Ewald, 5-10, 173, Sr./Jr.
99 Nick Freeland, 6-0, 201, Sr./5th
P
39 Erich Toth, 6-3, 190, So./Fr.
93 Nick Campos, 6-0, 182, Fr./Fr.
LS
91 Matt Dooley, 6-4, 257, So./So.
82 Sean Barrett, 6-6, 200, Fr./Fr.
H
39 Erich Toth, 6-3, 190, So./Fr.
2 Cameron Coffman, 6-2, 191, So./So.
KR
1 Shane Wynn, 5-7, 157, So./So.
6 T evin Coleman, 6-1, 200, Fr./Fr.
PR
14 Nick Stoner, 6-1, 173, So./So.
1 Shane Wynn, 5-7, 157, So./So.

Related content: Read more in Football

Indiana announces series with Cincinnati for 2021, 2022
Wilson to appear on ESPN on July 31
Coleman named to Doak Walker watch list
IU to open football season Aug. 30 at noon on ESPNews
Rahrig named to Rimington Trophy watch list
HoosierExile
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 6:46 PM EDT

Does anyone know if we’ll actually fill Memorial Stadium Saturday?

chris K.
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 7:30 PM EDT

Not happy to hear that Chapman won’t play next year. 2nd string Left Tackle is an important player.

TsaoTsuG
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 8:10 PM EDT

You know Dustin, I’m a great believer in the ‘deep’ meaning of words, especially in the holster of a journalist. Thus, the ‘weekly Kevin-Wilson-doesn’t-care-about-this’ caveat seems to be sarcastic, somewhat provoking and misrepresented, possibly dangerous in terms of the impact it could have and just a little too full of hubris.

I believe that Wilson ‘cares’ and a lot and from what I read (mostly through yours and Andy’s reports) the players care a lot. Somehow, I consider it a starting point and like to look at it. I see so do other people.

Perhaps a better way of saying it is that Wilson attaches the Monday report little influence on Saturday morning lineups. Perhaps an ‘unimportant” Monday report, or a ‘Monday report with little relevance on Saturday ‘ decisions. But, I do believe CKW ‘cares’ and so do the 44+ names on the report.

English is such a beautiful and precise language, don’t you think? Almost like running a precise pattern for the cognoscenti.

chris K.
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 8:54 PM EDT

Well, technically, “irrelevant” is probably not the best word, bacause the chart is undoubtedbly quite relevant to the football team. Ofcourse, the sentiment is more that of, “meaningless”, or “insignificant”. However, the Tsao’s interest in & commentary on the entire subject is to me, “illogical”. Not really Tsao, just joshing you. It’s kind of a slow time here on the scoop, & this us just fodder filler. Or, BS, more accurately.

chris K.
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 9:00 PM EDT

Actually, allow me to correct myself for my incorrect correction of Dustin’s article. I said the depth chart was not irrelevant, but Dustin isnot calling the depth chart itself relevant. The sentiment, as I oddly called the tenor of the article, is to imply that the order in which players are listed in terms of 1st or 2nd string-is in fact, irrelevant. & that is very much true, in some cases. It’s a very slow time indeed.

chris K.
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 9:04 PM EDT

Lordy lordy, I meant to say, “Dustin is not calling the depth chart itself IRrelevant” in my last post, just to avoid misinterpretation. I’ll quietly go away now & focus on hoping that Drew Brees scores enough fantasy points to win my game this week, since I forgot to swith Jonathan Dwyer out for Isaac Redman, putting myself at risk of defeat.

jonnyhoosier
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 9:18 PM EDT

Start CAM COFFMAN and KEEP HIM IN THE GAME

Podunker
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 9:52 PM EDT

Chris K, I can’t blame Chapman (or any of the other redshirt seniors listed) for leaving, especially if he will have his degree. Chapman lost his starting spot to a true freshman and then Wilson made comments to the press that the true freshman was better and is one of the best linemen Wilson has ever coached, with great potential, etc. The writing was clearly on the wall! Why stay around, put in all that time and effort, and risk injury if you have little chance of playing?

I posted a comment at the time Wilson made those statements to the press suggesting that it was not the best way to handle the matter because it might demoralize veteran players. Maybe Wilson wanted Chapman to get the message and leave the team after this season, or maybe he’s just a totally honest guy, calls it like he sees it, and let’s the chips fall where they may. I’m not saying Wilson was trying to run Chapman off the team, but certainly a man as smart and experienced as Wilson is had to know that his decision, and the way he communicated the decision, would increase the likelihood that Chapman would not return for a fifth year. Maybe Wilson believes that’s best for the team, by making room for a better player, or maybe Wilson regrets that Chapman won’t return and is now scrambling to recruit more depth at left tackle?

These are the ramifications associated with transforming the culture of a program. I thank Chapman for his years of hard work and effort and wish him well in his life after college.

TsaoTsuG
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 9:58 PM EDT

Chris K…no problem. My comment was not directed at yours at all- I had not read your comments at that point. Nor was it directed at the headline and the use of ‘irrelevant’ since I fully understand and expect that the headline is usually not written by the writer but by a headline writer and/or editor (depending on the paper).

I was referring specifically to “Kevin-Wilson-doesn’t-care-about-this caveat,” introducing the chart. I think it important to be mindful of the message.

chris K.
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 10:07 PM EDT

I’m not saying Chapman shouldn’t leave, just saying I wish he wouldn’t for selfish reasons. The depth he provides will be missed. What if Spriggs gets hurt next year? It would be nice to have Chapman backing him up, although time will tell who will fill that role. Hopefully a good one.

davis
Monday, November 5, 2012 - 10:13 PM EDT

Can’t say I blame any of the seniors who left. It’s a huge time commitment to play a varsity sport in college, and if the writing is on the wall that one is not going to see game time, maybe that time is better spent studying or trying to line up job interviews etc. Can’t blame KW either if he’s blunt and it opens some scholarships.

Mike P.
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:19 AM EDT

I honestly think Dustin hits the nail on the head with his comments about the depth chart. This always comes out on Monday, yet Wilson has always said that each and every position is in competition the entire week up till game day. That statement tells me that a Monday morning depth chart really is irrelevant in the big picture. Now if it was to be released Friday morning after they practice, I would put more into it than I do now.

Chet
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 9:26 AM EDT

The better the program the less the relevancy of the depth chart. With the exception of QB and, perhaps, the offensive line, successful programs play a lot of players throughout the course of a game.

Comments

• M. Golf. Three Hoosiers In Top 10 at Northern Am - Nicholas Grubnich's second place finish led three Hoosiers in the top 10 of the Northern Amateur at Sand Creek Country Club in Chesterton, Ind. Joining Grubnich in the top 10 were
  • M. Tennis. ITA Summer Circuit Returns to Bloomington This Weekend - The Hoosiers will play host to the ITA Midwest Summer Circuit starting Saturday and going through
  • Evaluation period: Friday recap - Indiana watched a new 2015 prospect in Las Vegas late Friday night, several Indiana targets had big
  • 3-star OT Mallory to commit next week - Class of 2015 three-star offensive tackle Evan Mallory of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy has reached his decision of where he'll attend
  • Five-star center Thomas Bryant on IU: “They’re recruiting me pretty hard” -

Class of 2015 Huntington Prep (W.V.) center Thomas Bryant is one of 33 players in Colorado Springs this week vying for a spot on USA Basketball’s U17 World Championship

• Kenny Williams looks ahead to visits, outlines plan for trimming list -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — His Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) career may have ended with a loss in the Peach Jam semifinals, but class of 2015 guard Kenny Williams

• Rawle Alkins talks recruiting, Indiana - 2016 guard Rawle Alkins is playing with the NY Rens in the adidas Super 64 in
  • Kyle Guy updates recruiting, talks Indiana - 2016 guard Kyle Guy spoke with AllHoosiers.com on Thursday to update his
  • Women's Basketball Coach Curt Miller Resigns from Indiana