Hoosier Morning

5 comments by   |   Monday, December 17, 2012 - 10:45 am EDT

1. HOOSIERS HQ
Aulani Sinclair scored a career-high 34 points as the IU women’s basketball team surpassed last season’s win total, Mike wrote.

The Indiana men’s basketball team has three games to right the ship after Saturday’s disappointing loss to Butler, I wrote.

2. IT’S INDIANA
The crowd and the coaches traded barbs Saturday, but Butler’s Alex Barlow got the last word against Indiana, Brian Hamilton wrote for SI.com.

Indiana’s loss reinforces the notion that there is no dominant team in college basketball, Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com writes.

3. NATIONAL NUGGETS
Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin says the latest money-grab moves by conferences a good reason why athletes should be paid, David Steele of AOL Fanhouse writes.

Syracuse, Michigan and Duke could all be the last unbeaten team standing this season, Rick Bozich of WDRB.com writes.

New Illinois coach John Groce has been everything the school was looking for so far, Ethan Asofsky of The Daily Illini writes.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
Butler’s Alex Barlow had his Jimmy Chitwood moment on Saturday against Indiana:

Related content: Read more in Hoosier Morning

Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning (p.m. edition)
Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Ron
Monday, December 17, 2012 - 11:13 AM EDT

1…I was thinking you might have music this morning, maybe something about “burning bridges”?

2…IU ranked in the 6-8 spot sounds good. Allows them to play basketball w/o the #1 target. Hit #1 some time around mid-March.

3…Please please please play Hanner & Jurking a lot during the next 3 games. Please. And Elston if ready.

4…Do like the Who-What-When-Where thing you write.

Laffy
Monday, December 17, 2012 - 2:08 PM EDT

Back to the Butler game….

This will probably surprise most on here, but I’m going to give props to Bobby for 2 of his unorthodox motivating techniques.

One time after the team played very poorly, Bob was in the bathroom doing # 2 (trying to keep this family-friendly) and he came out of the stall with “used” toilet paper and told the team, “You’re playing like this.”

Another time, he taped tampons to all the lockers.

I thought both were great.

If there is one thing athletes don’t like, it’s when you challenge their manhood.

Many players under Knight said, “Sometimes I hated the guy so much, when I went out there to play, I just wanted to kick butt to say SCREW YOU Knight.”

Now, I don’t want Crean to be a complete jerk. But, one thing I really hated after the game was how he kept saying, “I was happy with our energy.”

Baloney.

Zeller got pushed around like a little girl and had zero fouls. You can not praise him for his “energy.”

Now, you may want to say, “He can say one thing in public and one in private so he isn’t throwing people under the bus to the media” and I’ll listen to that.

But he still doesn’t need to say, “They had great energy.”

That especially irks me after he said it was a “road game atmosphere.”

Hogwash.

Question their manhood.

Make them prove to him they have nads of steal instead of prancing around for the cameras.

Challenge them instead of slobbering all over them over with how much “energy” they have.

Two things give me hope right now:

1) Crean said the rebounding drills were going to be brutal.

2) Olidipo said “We have to stay together.” I think he knows they were awful and the key is to work thru it while holding the others accountable while at the same time having each others’ back and not pushing each other or going OFF like Will did.

Geoff
Monday, December 17, 2012 - 3:13 PM EDT

Great post Laffy… Agree with all your points.

Podunker
Monday, December 17, 2012 - 5:13 PM EDT

Yes, some excellent points.

We always hear how hard these guys work, but what I watched Saturday looked like a physically soft team. On top of that, you read that SI article in which the Butler players are talking about playing physical and “punching the other team in the mouth” (the other team meaning IU) at the beginning of the game, etc, and you realize, IU really never responded to Butler’s physicality. Maybe we could not afford to respond with the physical play Saturday with three big men not quite ready, but that needs to change immediately. The next time somebody “body-checks” Cody on the way to the rim and a foul is not called, Cody needs to respond so that the message is sent and received. The message goes out to both the opposing player and the refs. It’s saying, “O.K. if that’s not being called a foul, then I’ll respond in kind.”

After the game, my wife, who played High School basketball, made a great comment. She said, “Cody needs to spend some time practicing with Kent Benson.” EXACTLY!

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 1:54 AM EDT

Just saw this post. It is good (leaving out the more ‘creative’ anecdote even better). Zellers would have come off the bench at the next game coached by Knight, been sent in for three minutes in the third quarter and pulled out again. The more I think about it, the more I think he was intimidated out of the Butler game.

Intimidated.

They- Butler- had a statement to make and they made it.

I also agree with a comment I read somewhere(perhaps in the link you provided), that Coach Stephens wanted Hulls defending the last play. That’s just good coaching.

Comments

• Track. Hoosiers Travel to Penn Relays - Indiana track & field will compete in the 120th running of the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, an event that routinely draws over 100,000
  • M. Tennis. Hoosiers Set for Big Ten Tournament - Indiana men's tennis will battle Minnesota in first round of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday at 2:00
  • Report: Hollowell to transfer to Georgia State - Sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell, who announced his intent to transfer from IU on March 24, has committed play his final two seasons of college basketball at Georgia State, CBS
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Impact of Johnson's departure - Kenny Johnson is gone to Louisville. A relative unknown when he was hired just two years ago,
  • Waller close to major offers - Travis Waller has been hearing from some major programs in recent weeks and another big one came in from the
  • Jeremy Hollowell transferring to Georgia State -

Former Indiana forward Jeremy Hollowell will finish his collegiate career at Georgia State. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports and a source close to

• Video: Robert Johnson Derby Festival Basketball Classic, NBPA Top 100 Camp highlights -

Via CityLeagueHoops on YouTube:

The post Read more...

• VIDEO: Highlights of Robert Johnson - Here is a video full of highlights of Robert Johnson during his senior
  • Hollowell transferring to Georgia State - Indiana transfer Jeremy Hollowell is headed to Georgia State because of some Indiana
  • Et Tu, KJ?
  • What Does It Take to Win a Baseball Title?