Hoosier Morning

1. HOOSIERS HQ
The Indiana soccer team and strength/conditioning coach Tom Morris are inspiring each other through the run to the College Cup, I wrote.

Teaming up with Yogi Ferrell has been a case of deja vu for Jordan Hulls, who did something similar in high school with Dee Davis, Dustin writes.

2. IT’S INDIANA
The IU women’s basketball team picked up its third commitment for 2014 in 6-foot-1 wing Amanda Cahill of Clyde, Ohio, Vince Guerrieri of the News-Messenger writes.

3. KENTUCKY BLUES
In the wake of last Saturday’s loss to Baylor, a number of Kentucky players “left” Twitter, Jerry Tipton of the Lexington Herald-Leader blogged.

The young and struggling Wildcats are headed to Camp Cal the rest of this month, Kyle Tucker of the Louisville Courier-Journal writes.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
In honor of the soccer team’s trip to Hoover, here’s “Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

I can’t remember a CFB season with so many HC’ing moves. + assistants everywhere are finding new opportunities or having to look for new ones. Even working under contracts the professions brand is fluidity.

Even though he nearly let MP get away and having Butch Jones slipped off the hook Morgan Burke has again landed on his feet with the hire of Hazell.

• Yankee Panky says:

Why would you post a rebel flag? great song-but horrible choice for a freeze shot.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Dustin-

With roots in PA, I thought you might enjoy this story(link below). Caught it on the CBS Late Night tonight. Pretty inspiring.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

The video above also speaks volumes to why I’m never overly enthused when I hear of kids leaving their small towns(often out of the limelight or struggling economically), breaking apart friendships and bonds with teammates that can go back many years, to play at academy programs(many on the east coast). The CBS story made me think of Mitch McGary from tiny Chesterton(a small town in NW Indiana also effected by the struggling steel industry and Walmarts closing down mom and pop shops on Main Street)

Where are the dreams of the potential magic that could have happened in the state high school tournament if he would have anchored with some of his teammates and stayed in his home town for all four years?

There’s certainly something special about those young men from Clariton, PA in how strongly they believe in the families that built their small steel town; a belief that community, unwavering spirit to achieve long term missions, and a collective belief in school pride can bring rewards and lifelong memories attached to every cheer from the stands that eclipses the individualist pursuits of only watching your name go up a Rivals list.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

….[individualistic] pursuits

• Chet says:

Alan Rossington, one of the few remaining original members of the band, recently announced the band would no longer fly the Confederate flag at its concerts and apologized for having offended people in the past. He plead ignorance and stated he had gained wisdom with age.

• Ron says:

I’m apparently not gaining wisdom with age. See nothing wrong with flying the Confederate flag. Different people read different concepts/values in that flag. I see a streak of independence and regional pride. Political Correctness seems to be leading us into homogenized nation.

• Chet says:

Ron,
    I get what you mean and, by and large, I think you are right. I, also, certainly don’t want to engage in cultural warfare but I always reflect back to WHO tends to make the Stars and Bars their centerpiece and the message they are trying to send.

Living in the South most of my life I know that many mean no harm by it. I also know that many fly it meaning nothing BUT harm to people that they’ve decided aren’t like them.

As a vet and an avid student of history I have NEVER understood flying it side by side with our American flag and calling it patriotic. That makes NO sense whatsoever. The sole purpose of the Confederacy was to dissolve our Union. In Germany it’s considered (a type of) treason to fly the Swastika largely because its followers nearly brought about the demise of their Republic.

Coincidentally, in the US it is not unusual to see flags bearing the Swastika flown alongside the Confederate flag. That’s kinda what I mean about using it to send an offensive message.

In the case of Lynyrd Skynyrd I’m sure it’s purely about getting butts in the seats. With each passing year I see fewer and fewer Confederate flags, particularly among folks with more disposable incomes. It’s also a more mobile society. People don’t live in the same county for five generations and not to many folks who move from Michigan to Alabama are going to fly Confederate flags. Simply put, times are a-changin’.

I think those that see it purely in terms of history and tradition would be well served to stand up to those who use it to convey a message of intolerance and hatred. I haven’t seen that happen, though.

One last thing, and this is by no means directed at you, Ron, or your comment because you don’t fall under this at all (more likely my sister), but whenever I hear someone start a comment by saying ‘now this may not be politically correct’ I’m expecting something racist to follow but they assume it’s OK because they gave a disclaimer before saying it.
    “Now, this may not be politically correct but I think we should hang all the _______ and _______.”

Anyway, I get your point and I think it’s reasonable but I get what Alan Rossington was alluding to as well.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

To hell with PC, if you feel free enough to fly Ole Dixie, then fly it. People already have their opinions formed whether it is flown or not.

• Chet says:

People can and people do. If concertgoers decide not to part with their money because of it, they can and they do, as well.

Just ask Gary Rossington (I think I typed Alan before). Gotta get off these pain meds.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

…exactly…that is how it should work…but lawyers can’t make a killing with that outcome…

Reminds me of the story of a small town in Kansas with 1 lawyer who nearly starved to death, a 2nd lawyer moved to town and both lived very well.

When is surgery scheduled? Can you hobble around or are you down? Who the hell is mowing lawn and washing the windows, hanging lights , decorate the tree and bath the dog?

• Laffy says:

If I flew a flag saying, “Christians are all pedophiles”, you wouldn’t hear, “Freedom of speech” from the same people who say it’s ok to fly the bigot Confederate flag.

Or if someone had the Nazi flag next to a Jewish center.

• Chet says:

I’m on the flight line for Zero Dark Thirty on Friday. Probably spend one night and go home which somehow is considered ‘outpatient’. Whatever. It saves a bazillion dollars by saying ‘outpatient’ instead of ‘inpatient’.

I can walk when adequately medicated. I can’t, however, stand still. I lose feeling after about 20 seconds. How about that? I’m more useless than usual and the bar is pretty low. I could still ride my motorcycle but I’m not stupid enough to do that on the street taking meds. Recently, Ruthie carved out a ‘skills course’ down the mountain below the cabin to practice offroad skills on the KLRs but she watches me too close to pull the dual sport out. Plus, when (not if) I dropped it I couldn’t begin to pick it up. I’d just lie there until the chipmunks slowly nibbled me to death.

As far as the manual labor, the same person as always is doing it, Ruthie. She looks good doing it, too.

Yeah, the biggest problem with lawyers is they write all the laws. What a gig. You get to decide what’s necessary, when to do it, how much you pay, and so forth. Imagine if your mechanic could do that. “That oil change, with the required documentation, is gonna run you $1467.23.”

I don’t care how much they get, though. I couldn’t stand being a lawyer. I’m always amazed at all the shows on television about lawyers. All the ones I’ve ever met are about the most boring people I know.

• Chet says:

Laffy, that is a very good point.

What’s the old saying, “It depends on whose ox is getting gored?”

• Chet says:

It my experience, the people who scream ‘Freedom of Speech’ the loudest are often the same ones who want to restrict OTHER people’s rights the most, such as protesters outside family planning clinics.

• Chet says:

I didn’t mean to use that as a position statement. I probably should have used a different/better example.

• Laffy says:

DeGeneres is in a new commercial for JC Penny and some Christian group is going off how OFFENDED they are and want it yanked or they will boycott.

Yet if I say, “Merry Christmas” or “Praise Jesus” offends me, they say, “Too bad. I can’t control what offends you. Deal with it.”

• KevinK says:

Thought I would spend a few minutes after work catching up on my IU sports news…You know…championship soccer, #1 ranked basketball, women’s hoops on the rise,etc.

Anybody know a place where . . . .?

• RemywillingandAbell says:

Yeah can we please talk about IU athletics and not how dumb you guys think Christians are? Seriously there is no reason to hate on Christians all the time. You stupid liberals that ruined our country are open to anything but Christianity. You accept people of different races and culture, you accept gay people and atheists but you hate on Christians! America used to be a great country when it was based on God and his laws so STOP BLAMING THE CHRISTIANS FOR EVERYTHING because they are the ones that made this country great!

• Geoff says:

Great is a relative term. The country was great for white Protestant males.

It wasn’t great for blacks, or women, or Chinese, or American Indians… Or lots of other groups. In fact it wasn’t even that great for many Christian groups up until the 60’s… No one thought a Catholic would ever get elected president and then boom… Kennedy.

The country is great because of lots of reasons… Certainly Christianity is a part of that.

But slow your roll and gain some perspective.

By the way, I’m not a liberal.

• Laffy says:

Oh, spare us the “Thumpers are nothing but victims” act.

You treat gay people like dog food and tell people if they don’t follow your fairy tale they “have no morals.”

And if our laws are “based on the Bible”, when are you going to make adultery punishable by jail?

Also, this country was BUILT on coveting your neighbor’s stuff. The “war on Christmas” isn’t being waged by the “dirty liberals” like Faux keeps whining, it’s by the Big Businesses that you bow down to.

And last time I checked, Jesus talked about helping the poor more than everything else combined….yet Righty Thumpers treat the poor like they’re worthless moochers and even call them “animals.”

And I hate to break it to ya, but many/most of the Founders thought Thumpers were a bunch of fruit cakes and were VERY CLEAR our country was NOT a “Christian” nation.

• Laffy says:

Oh…..and how did the “liberals” ruin the country?

Last time I checked, Georgie was a Righty….and not only did he get us into TWO of the worst managed wars ever, the economy cratered on his watch.

Same as the worst attack ever happened on his watch because he ignored every warning.

And instead of paying for his wars, he gave us a tax cut…..the first time that had happened during war EVER.

• Chet says:

I gotta say that when a group that represents the overwhelming majority of people, owns every media outlet, not to mention controls every segment of government, and 99% of the county’s wealth, whines bout being oppressed, it’s pretty ridiculous.

I’m still waiting to see a Sunday morning Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or atheist program wedged in between the 500 Fundamentalist/Baptist/Methodist/Evangelical/yada/yada/yada that are shoved down my Episcopalian (sorry to disappoint you, not an atheist) throat every Sunday (and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc,…).

Think how you would sound if you were a Jew in Tel Aviv or a Muslim in Tehran or a Hindu in Calcutta complaining about being oppressed.

That’s how Fundamentalists whining about how everyone (the overwhelming majority of EVERYONE is YOU) “hates Christians” sound to the rest of us. You sound like a 3-year-old who was told ‘no’ for the first time in their lives.

• TsaoTsuG says:

I have a hard time swallowing that Gary Rossington was ‘ignorant’ about the meaning of the Rebel flag, especially in that setting. But, he showed his ignorance. He’d have flown the Yankee flag that rode into Atlanta for a couple of more dollars. The nature of the game.

Anyway…, this is a very tolerant Nation. I’ve always been amazed at how we don’t even turn around in the various parades of flags during ‘national’ celebrations that have little if anything to with the history of this country (in fact some by groups honoring the history of countries that at one point or another have been at war with ours). Only in America…what a great Nation. No one anywhere else is more tolerant and more openly embraces everyone.

My father used to get a big, big kick out of the signs at the entrances to farms off back-hill two lane roads that read “We Accept Fill Dirt”. He’d laugh and say, ‘dey assepted us diren’t dey’.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Chet… the best of luck. Know that you sometimes don’t see the sense in it, though I’ll admit you aren’t unnecessarily b_ll inflatingly obsessed with the issue. Anyway, this old’ Bible thumper will put your name into ‘the hat’ in prayers this evening, just behind my five grandchildren, two grown children, their spouses;… and just in front of Bob Knight. (There you go Laffy, your cue…!)

No sh__! My prayers are with you, your wife and family.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• t:

T. Moren has placed IU women program on a solid foundation in a rather [...]

• Steve W.:

Had it not been for the successfull season IU had we would not even be [...]

• Rico Chet:

The Big Ten Tournament in Washington DC is like saying The Statue of L [...]

• BeatPurdue:

This is the moment for a Cody Zeller type of recruit for the woman's p [...]

• Steve W.: