Indiana falls to Butler in overtime

WHAT HAPPENED: Sophomore walk-on point guard Alex Barlow hit a floater in the lane with 2.3 seconds to go in overtime to give Butler an 88-86 win over No. 1 Indiana in front of 19,192 in the Crossroads Classic at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Indiana rallied back from a seven-point deficit with 2:22 to go in regulation and a 74-69 deficit with 38 seconds remaining thanks to a 3-point play by junior guard Victor Oladipo and a game-tying 3-pointer with six seconds to go by freshman point guard Yogi Ferrell. The Hoosiers built an 84-80 lead in overtime, but the Bulldogs got back-to-back 3-pointers by senior guards Rotnei Clarke and Chase Stigall to take the lead back. IU sophomore center Cody Zeller tied the game with 19 seconds left before Barlow’s bucket won the game.

WHO MADE IT HAPPEN: Barlow, a sophomore walk-on, had scored 18 points in his career before Saturday and had one field goal before overtime. However, he backed IU senior guard Jordan Hulls into the lane and hit a floater over him for the game-winner.

Butler coach Brad Stevens called sophomore forward Roosevelt Jones “the best player on the floor” on Saturday, and his line made it hard to argue. He posted a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds and also had seven assists and two blocks.

Senior center Andrew Smith scored fewer points than Zeller, but he appeared to win the matchup with 12 points and nine rebounds before fouling out in the second half. Bloomington South graduate Erik Fromm also scored 10 points, hitting a pair of crucial 3-pointers, and junior wing Khyle Marshall scored 11 points.

For Indiana, junior guard Victor Oladipo continued his stellar play with 18 points, four assists, two blocks and four steals. Zeller struggled, but still finished with 18 points. Junior swingman Will Sheehey had 13 points and senior forward Christian Watford had 10, but Watford only grabbed three rebounds and was 1-for-5 from the field.

WHY DID IT HAPPEN: Butler only won the rebound battle by two, but it felt like a significantly greater margin because the Bulldogs got 27 second-chance points to Indiana’s 17. The Bulldogs had 19 offensive rebounds while the Hoosiers only had 20 on the defensive glass.

Butler also took advantage of several IU defensive miscues, including two critical ones on the 3-pointers by Clarke and Stigall in overtime. Clarke was sprung open when a IU defender went under a screen, and Stigall hit his when Hulls bit on a pass-fake while trying to rotate.

The Hoosiers were able to force their way back into the game after falling behind in the second half with a wicked full-court press — which IU coach Tom Crean said he wish he would have deployed earlier — and the Hoosiers got critical plays down that stretch. Ferrell’s 3-pointer was particularly impressive, because minutes earlier he had fumbled a pass that appeared to be a back-breaking turnover. It was a huge shot, considering that Ferrell had come into the game shooting 1-for-10 from 3-point range on the year.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN: Indiana will assuredly lose it’s No. 1 ranking, most likely to Duke, and the dream of matching the 1975-76 team’s unbeaten season are officially dashed, but for a number of reasons, this might be good for the Hoosiers in the long term. It gives the Hoosiers a number of obvious issues to work on, because they had to pay dearly for their mistakes in this one, and there will be evidence on film of what went wrong and the cost of those mistakes. The Hoosiers will still have pressure and a target on their backs, but it gets significantly smaller now that they’ve lost a game. They get to move forward with a spotlight that’s just slightly less bright.

WHO SAID WHAT:

IU coach Tom Crean

On what IU can learn from this:

“We didn’t play well enough to win,” Crean said. “We just didn’t. It’s things that we certainly have to get better at, and it’s things thing we can. It’s communication. It’s rebounding. Those are all things that are correctible … Our practices, they’ll be fierce now. They’ve been, but now we’ve got a chance to really dive in. They’ll be able to say, ‘Hey, this got us. We’ve gotta get this fixed.’”

On rebounding:

“I think we’re gonna be disappointed in some of our contact on the block-outs (when we watch the game on film),” Crean said. “Some balls bounced wrong. We’ve just gotta go up with two hands and get them. Those type of things. Balls bounced (the wrong way) a couple of times like that, but that’s not an excuse for us on the fact that we didn’t rebound well enough. Then the first half, we didn’t offensive rebound nearly well enough. I know we ended up with 18 offensive boards. That number should’ve been way higher today. Our offensive rebounding attempts were not nearly where they needed to be.”

On defensive miscues

“We went under a screen, which was at the top of the chart, don’t ever do that,” Crean said. “We had a miscommunication on a switch. There’s no question we cost ourselves at the end of the game defensively. They made the plays. They get the credit for that, but we made the mistake in how we guarded them.”

On the reason Cody Zeller was not in the game for Butler’s final possession

“We wanted to switch on everything because they were in the ball screen game,” Crean said. “They were running a lot of high ball screens at the end of regulation and overtime. In that situation, we wanted to continue to have that situation, because it was either gonna be a drive or a three. … We wanted to make sure that we could defend the high ball screen which they had been running consistently and not put ourselves in a switch that would be advantageous to them.”

Yogi Ferrell

On his game-tying shot

“I just knew time was winding down. I looked at Cody and he popped out. He just pretty much gave it to me and I was pretty much open, so I just shot.”

On defensive issues

“We just had miscommunication up top. In the heat of battle, sometimes we mis-communicated. Everyone makes mistakes. That just happened, and we’re definitely going to work on that in practice.”

Victor Oladipo

“We’ve gotta continue to keep going. Work on some things in practice and stay together. I think that’s the big thing. Just stay together. Stick with one another and look out for each other.”

AUDIO: Tom Crean

AUDIO: Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, Yogi Ferrell

AUDIO: Brad Stevens, Alex Barlow, Roosevelt Jones

• D-BONE says:

They really exposed Hulls’ on – ball D in half court. That an inability to secure our defensive boards (and generally respond to physical play) will be challenges throughout the year.

• Ron says:

I go back to games to date;

We’ve beat (per Pomeroy);
    #260, #54, #278, #122 – took us to OT but a win, #252, #21, #291, #170

#44 – a loss in OT.

I understand these pre-conference games may be made yrs in advance. I could see 3-4 games against cupcakes but when reality starts to hit in conference play I wonder if the team is prepaired for real competition.

We have #244, #240 & #271 over the next two weeks. These 3 games can be used to acclimate Hanner and Jerkin (& Elston) to the team. It would be the opportune time to START these three with Holloway and Remy. Let them play the first half the next two games. The third game would be the starting five in preparation for conference play.
    At this point it’s now about winning the next three games, it’s about everyone being prepaired and positioned for the Big 10 run into March. This team as a whole has the potential to blow everyone away and at least get to the final four.

In 15 days IU faces;
    #53, #7, #8. #10, #14. #18 & etc.

Yesterday’s game may be a good thing that happened at the best possible time. Regroup and refocus.

As a uneducated fan of IU, I am bothered more by the Jordy post-game shove than the actual loss.

• Bobskijo says:

I.U. Smelled. Could not rebound. Zeller was outclassed. The alumni group in central Florida met to see this game. All were disappointed.

• Bobskijo says:

And bench Watford.

• Ron says:

Word of caution….Nephew attended office party last night and is now looking for bail $$….DUI. He will lose his license for awhile..lives 36 miles from work. He pretty well f’ed up his life at least for now. Call a cab, sleep on the floor, call a friend….Just don’t drive.

• Larry says:

Zeller has got to start using the turnaround jump shot from 10-13 ft out, he is too predictable once receiving the ball, he’s goin to the hoop. Sure it draws fouls on occasion but it was more defeating in this game, Butler defended his drives to the hoop well.

• Aruss says:

If CTC is smart, he has Hanner, Peter and Jeremy playing 20 mins each per game for the next 3 to get them ready for B1G instead of having Zeller and Watford pad their stats against the cream puffs.

• Geoff says:

Good point Aruss… Hope you’re right.

• Podunker says:

Yes, Aruss, very good point. I hope they’re healthy enough for that amount of minutes, because we need them to get up to speed fast. Does Hanner have a bad foot?

Who did Jordy shove after the game ended? I saw the shove, I just did not see who he shoved. That’s a big red flag. If I’m the teammate that got shoved, he’s got about a couple hours to recognize his mistake and apologize, or I’m going to visit with him for a little one-on-one time. Jordy has every right to be frustrated, but that’s not how a team leader behaves after a loss. He showed signs of petulance, selfishniss and arrogance in shoving his teammate like that. He’s not Michael Jordon,

• Geoff says:

I actually had a much bigger problem with the tongue-lashing that Sheehey gave Abell in the first half after a blown defensive assignment. Waaaaaayyyyy too demonstrative… Right after the whistle in the middle of the paint.

Just a long night of zero composure.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Podunker, that was Maurice Creeks he shoved. Of all the Hoosiers in all the world, the last one who deserves that treatment in Maurice Creek who reminds me of a sergeant who fought for my son’s battalion and got blown up in Baghdad, did six months at Walter Reed, got shot on his next rotation and got shot again in Kandahar. Last I heard of him he was rejoining the same battalion again after fighting with his superiors to rejoin them as well.

You’ve got it about right,”…signs of petulance, selfishness and arrogance,” all of which come out when he plays like c__p and wants to show he is a ‘frustrated hero’. I’m no fan of his attitude and its obvious that he exploits it against the much lesser opponents. To your description I’d add he is far from being a leader. He does that to me on national TV and the next scene shows him being carried off on a stretcher.

• Geoff says:

Slow down…. It was a minor push. It barely moved Creek. It lasted a mere moment. I’m sure it will be addressed in some fashion.

Now, it wasn’t the right thing to do, and I’m sure he regrets it…. It did show some petulance… But it ain’t that big a deal. Brothers shove each other all the time. Mom or dad spanks them. Then they make up and go about their business.

Quit making it into a bigger thing than it is. Like I said, the Sheehey/Abell incident was much more demonstrative and combative.

• Chet says:

Wow, talk about blowing something way out of proportion.

That looked like the average “not right now..” push a competitive guy gives the first person coming up to him after fouling out.

It was less than nothing.

Will is demonstrative to the nth degree. Most of the time it’s a good thing (I think he really, really embraces the ‘upperclassman as a big brother’ roll) but it sometimes comes out as being a horses patoot.

Imagine that, a 20-year-old who hasn’t finely honed his communication skills. Same goes for Jordy.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Dialogue from The Godfather” “I was almost out….and they dragged me back in…!”

I had damned near began to take you seriously again…that was not a minor shove, it rejected a very respected and sacrificed team mate who had walked up to him to support and console him and in was done in total rejection and with disdain, all over his facial gesture. Now I don’t expect the stats to show that, but I do expect those who claim expertise to read the atmosphere each of the parts creates in the whole.

Your are way off. It is the very first thing that the Coach needs to address in the team. I didn’t remember the Sheehey/Remy episode as clearly but after being reminded it did come back but without the clarity of Hulls fit of anger. Either way, Sheehey needs to be called to attention as well.

Sheehey is a talented and needed player. But I agree with Podunler’s and Laffy’s take on this. Sheehey somehow manages to transmit the feeling that he plays and stars for SUS- State University of Sheehey. It may not be so, but he does communicate that take. I’d be interested in knowing if this is what you see Podunker (or you Chet).

(Look, either way, I’d take his contribution…it would be so much more enjoyable if it was about the Hoosiers, especially since the Hoosiers were the team to first recognize and value his talent).

• Three to the Temple says:

who had walked up to him to support and console him

You don’t even know what you’re talking about, eh?!

Watch the tape.

Creek was yelling something towards the officials at the time. Happened to be in Jordy’s way. There was no offering of support or consolation.

Anyway, back to Crean: great coaching, eh! Trophy to the temple.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Harvard…or whatever you call yourself this time to remain unaccountable…simply, you’re wrong. Creeks puts an arm on Hull’s arm, Hulls throws it and pushes off. You and reality really have really had a fight, haven’t you?

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Jordy’s desperation launch at the end of OT was a mid-range jumper for Matt Roth.

Let’s keep that in mind while are walk-on, Jonny Marlin, is on the bench doing his nails.

Kudos to Yogi hit a big 3-pointer..But is he a consistent threat from the outside? Until we can demonstrate we have more consistency from the perimeter, Jordy will continue to be blanketed like bark on a tree.

I’m not sure how we’re comparing to the stats of last season, but it seems we’re not scoring from beyond the arc with the same proficiency a year ago. Maybe the heavy focus in turning Watford into something not his game is playing into this. I do believe we had four of the top Big 10 % shooters from deep range last year(Roth, Hulls, Watford, & Elston). Elston’s sample set was a bit low..but he still had great numbers. Things will open up more for Jordy once we get another deep threat(or more perimeter consistency from Watford).

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Tsao-

Stop the false accusations. Post #15 is not mine. Send Dustin one of your friendly emails…He’ll set you straight.

• Chet says:

“Jordy’s desperation launch at the end of OT was a mid-range jumper for Matt Roth”

I like that. It’s certainly hyperbole but it almost seemed that way.

• Chet says:

As far as the whole “shoving” thing goes, it looks about like something EVERY competitive person has done in a similar situation at some point. Michael Jordan did that kind of thing during warmups (not that I’d want any of our guys to emulate MJ’s behavior).

Come on, guys. How would Larry Bird have reacted? Peyton Manning?

The fact is, no one would have even approached either of those two. They knew better.

Competitive guy, tough situation. The same thing that makes them great competitors makes them less than warm and fuzzy in those situations.

You know who probably didn’t give it a second thought?

Mo Creek.

• The man of Harvard. says:

My opinion is hulls isn’t hungry enough to be on this team. Graduation can’t come any sooner. That’s my opinion.

• JonnyHoosier says:

The man of Harvard,

Dumbest thing I’ve ever read on any IU form/board/site ever. Are you getting me? Jordan Hulls has kept us in a few games this year when guys like Cody and CW had been duds. What you just said leads me to believe you’re either a bandwagon IU fan that jumped on this year or just plain stupid. Which one is it?

• Joe says:

Come on HH. You really think Hulls lacks energy? That has to be the most absurd post I have ever read. Without Hulls, Georgetown would be a loss too. You have lost all credibility. Your a loon.

• Tsao, that wasn’t Harvard’s post, just for the record.

• psych says:

Just watched the replay of the game on BTN. It makes my blood (somewhat) boil to watch us lose. If that does not make our Hoosiers’ collective blood boil to lose a game in that fashion, then the season is already lost. I, for one second, do not believe IU will play like that for an entire game the rest of the season. Look out, Big Ten. Look out, NCAA tournament.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• CalCheaneyfan:

Huh? I was only asking what happened to Cheaney after Jim Crews got fi [...]

• Chet:

Never got excited about Spike. At his best he was slow and he may not [...]

• Chet:

I don't know anything about what went into Cal's decisions but his tim [...]

• Ron: