Indiana maintains No. 1 spot in both polls

9 comments by   |   Monday, December 3, 2012 - 2:45 pm EDT

Duke picked up a few No. 1 votes after beating Ohio State on Wednesday, but Indiana’s evisceration of North Carolina was enough to keep the Hoosiers No. 1 in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls this week. Also, Kentucky fell out of the AP Top 25 for the first time in John Calipari’s tenure. The Wildcats maintain the No. 19 spot in the USA Today poll.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Vermont Academy coach talks Emmitt Holt
Men's, women's Big Ten basketball schedules to be released Thursday
Emmitt Holt commits to Indiana
Kasongo not visiting Indiana, Holt scheduled to come Monday
Zagoria update on Kasongo, Holt
Ron
Monday, December 3, 2012 - 3:40 PM EDT

Minnesota….big varience.

#2 Monday, December 3, 2012 - 7:17 PM EDT

Ok, having withdrawals already from the lack of IU bb, gonna be a long week.

#3 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 3:01 AM EDT

Breaking News: word out of Chicago is IU has stopped recruiting Cliff Alexander because CTC doesn’t want to get involved with his shadey handlers.

Laffy
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 11:34 AM EDT

Here’s the difference between our Hoosiers and Kaintuck: In my paper this morning there is a quote from Calipari: “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

Our guys, especially Jordy, Will and Olidipo, are complete gym rats.

If UK’s players don’t have a work ethic now, chances are they never will.

iuhoosier1992
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:03 PM EDT

I think what may have hurt Duke with the voters is the fact that they went 10 minutes in their game with OSU without scoring a field goal. OSU dropped because they didn’t take advantage of Duke’s poor shooting and tired legs. OSU should have won that game walking away in Duke’s house.

Geoff
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:12 PM EDT

While you may be right, I’m not sure how many voters are aware of that stat…

My guess is that it has more to do with the fact IU has done nothing to lose the #1 spot.

Personally I just don’t think they’re as good. I like our individual pieces better. I like our depth way better. I like our variety of weapons better. I like the fact that we are going to get much bigger very soon.

The only check mark that duke gets is that I’d trust Coach K more in a close game.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:10 PM EDT

I see that the full court press we used against Coppin St. was more or less by accident. Well, it was devestatingly effective. I know it was only Coppin I whould expect them to do pretty well, even compared to top tier teams due to their small stature & quickness. So, I think we may have stumbled onto something that can make us even better. It makes sense to use it with our depth in addition to the obvious effectiveness it had.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:13 PM EDT

Damnnit-my pc, all by itself, erased: I know it was only Coppin “St., but breaking a press is 1 thing that” I would expect….see what I have to go through? This is why the bad spelling, grammar, high blood pressure, etc. etc. sorry.

Podunker
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:23 PM EDT

Calipari said, “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

That is translated to, “forget about going to class, doing homework or enjoying campus life, you’re professional basketball players in every way but officially. Forget about everything else, I want you spending six to ten hours a day practicing basketball.”

Isn’t there a limit on how many hours a college player can spend in team practices?

Comments

• M. Basketball. Former Hoosier stars join Tom Crean in Indianapolis - Former Indiana men's basketball stars Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller joined IU Coach Tom Crean and teamed up one more time for their alma mater Wednesday
  • Cross Country. IU Cross Country Practice Off and Running for 2014 - The Indiana men's and women's cross country teams reported back to campus this week and on Tuesday had their first practice in preparation for the 2014 season. The Hoosiers will
  • FSU hoops lands huge Rivals150 commitment - Rivals150 small forward Terance Mann committed to Florida State on Wednesday, giving the 'Noles their first commit of 2015. Mann
  • 'I'm living proof. Anything is possible.' - At the end of the Indiana University's "On the road with the Hoosiers" program tonight in Indianapolis,
  • Video: Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo at IU “On The Road” stop in Indianapolis -

INDIANAPOLIS — Former teammates Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo were reunited on Wednesday evening for Indiana’s “On The Road” tour stop at Lucas Oil

• 2014 forward Emmitt Holt commits to Indiana -

Indiana’s 2014 recruiting class has a sixth member. Emmitt Holt, a 6-foot-7, 225 pound forward from Webster (N.Y.), is coming to Bloomington as a member of IU’s

• Get 2 months of AllHoosiers.com for $9.95 - It worked so well last week that we're running it again. From now until 3 a.m. Sunday morning, buy 1 month of AllHoosiers.com for $9.95 and get a second month free. Come find out
  • Hoosier Links: August 19, 2014 - In today's Hoosier Links there is a story about IU's Canada trip in basketball and one on IU soccer. Soccer opens the exhibition season Tuesday
  • Emmitt Holt Commits