Indiana maintains No. 1 spot in both polls

9 comments by   |   Monday, December 3, 2012 - 2:45 pm EDT

Duke picked up a few No. 1 votes after beating Ohio State on Wednesday, but Indiana’s evisceration of North Carolina was enough to keep the Hoosiers No. 1 in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls this week. Also, Kentucky fell out of the AP Top 25 for the first time in John Calipari’s tenure. The Wildcats maintain the No. 19 spot in the USA Today poll.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Jeremy Hollowell transfers to Georgia State
Johnson leaving for Louisville
Former Indiana player Mike Woodson fired by the Knicks
Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Ron
Monday, December 3, 2012 - 3:40 PM EDT

Minnesota….big varience.

#2 Monday, December 3, 2012 - 7:17 PM EDT

Ok, having withdrawals already from the lack of IU bb, gonna be a long week.

#3 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 3:01 AM EDT

Breaking News: word out of Chicago is IU has stopped recruiting Cliff Alexander because CTC doesn’t want to get involved with his shadey handlers.

Laffy
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 11:34 AM EDT

Here’s the difference between our Hoosiers and Kaintuck: In my paper this morning there is a quote from Calipari: “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

Our guys, especially Jordy, Will and Olidipo, are complete gym rats.

If UK’s players don’t have a work ethic now, chances are they never will.

iuhoosier1992
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:03 PM EDT

I think what may have hurt Duke with the voters is the fact that they went 10 minutes in their game with OSU without scoring a field goal. OSU dropped because they didn’t take advantage of Duke’s poor shooting and tired legs. OSU should have won that game walking away in Duke’s house.

Geoff
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:12 PM EDT

While you may be right, I’m not sure how many voters are aware of that stat…

My guess is that it has more to do with the fact IU has done nothing to lose the #1 spot.

Personally I just don’t think they’re as good. I like our individual pieces better. I like our depth way better. I like our variety of weapons better. I like the fact that we are going to get much bigger very soon.

The only check mark that duke gets is that I’d trust Coach K more in a close game.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:10 PM EDT

I see that the full court press we used against Coppin St. was more or less by accident. Well, it was devestatingly effective. I know it was only Coppin I whould expect them to do pretty well, even compared to top tier teams due to their small stature & quickness. So, I think we may have stumbled onto something that can make us even better. It makes sense to use it with our depth in addition to the obvious effectiveness it had.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:13 PM EDT

Damnnit-my pc, all by itself, erased: I know it was only Coppin “St., but breaking a press is 1 thing that” I would expect….see what I have to go through? This is why the bad spelling, grammar, high blood pressure, etc. etc. sorry.

Podunker
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:23 PM EDT

Calipari said, “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

That is translated to, “forget about going to class, doing homework or enjoying campus life, you’re professional basketball players in every way but officially. Forget about everything else, I want you spending six to ten hours a day practicing basketball.”

Isn’t there a limit on how many hours a college player can spend in team practices?

Comments

• Track. Hoosiers Travel to Penn Relays - Indiana track & field will compete in the 120th running of the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, an event that routinely draws over 100,000
  • M. Tennis. Hoosiers Set for Big Ten Tournament - Indiana men's tennis will battle Minnesota in first round of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday at 2:00
  • Report: Hollowell to transfer to Georgia State - Sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell, who announced his intent to transfer from IU on March 24, has committed play his final two seasons of college basketball at Georgia State, CBS
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Impact of Johnson's departure - Kenny Johnson is gone to Louisville. A relative unknown when he was hired just two years ago,
  • Waller close to major offers - Travis Waller has been hearing from some major programs in recent weeks and another big one came in from the
  • Jeremy Hollowell transferring to Georgia State -

Former Indiana forward Jeremy Hollowell will finish his collegiate career at Georgia State. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports and a source close to

• Video: Robert Johnson Derby Festival Basketball Classic, NBPA Top 100 Camp highlights -

Via CityLeagueHoops on YouTube:

The post Read more...

• VIDEO: Highlights of Robert Johnson - Here is a video full of highlights of Robert Johnson during his senior
  • Hollowell transferring to Georgia State - Indiana transfer Jeremy Hollowell is headed to Georgia State because of some Indiana
  • Et Tu, KJ?
  • What Does It Take to Win a Baseball Title?