Indiana maintains No. 1 spot in both polls

9 comments by   |   Monday, December 3, 2012 - 2:45 pm EDT

Duke picked up a few No. 1 votes after beating Ohio State on Wednesday, but Indiana’s evisceration of North Carolina was enough to keep the Hoosiers No. 1 in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls this week. Also, Kentucky fell out of the AP Top 25 for the first time in John Calipari’s tenure. The Wildcats maintain the No. 19 spot in the USA Today poll.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Hoetzel, Johnson take shot at Derby Festival Classic
Arizona center commits to Indiana
Etherington posts that he will transfer to Butler
Ron
Monday, December 3, 2012 - 3:40 PM EDT

Minnesota….big varience.

#2 Monday, December 3, 2012 - 7:17 PM EDT

Ok, having withdrawals already from the lack of IU bb, gonna be a long week.

#3 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 3:01 AM EDT

Breaking News: word out of Chicago is IU has stopped recruiting Cliff Alexander because CTC doesn’t want to get involved with his shadey handlers.

Laffy
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 11:34 AM EDT

Here’s the difference between our Hoosiers and Kaintuck: In my paper this morning there is a quote from Calipari: “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

Our guys, especially Jordy, Will and Olidipo, are complete gym rats.

If UK’s players don’t have a work ethic now, chances are they never will.

iuhoosier1992
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:03 PM EDT

I think what may have hurt Duke with the voters is the fact that they went 10 minutes in their game with OSU without scoring a field goal. OSU dropped because they didn’t take advantage of Duke’s poor shooting and tired legs. OSU should have won that game walking away in Duke’s house.

Geoff
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:12 PM EDT

While you may be right, I’m not sure how many voters are aware of that stat…

My guess is that it has more to do with the fact IU has done nothing to lose the #1 spot.

Personally I just don’t think they’re as good. I like our individual pieces better. I like our depth way better. I like our variety of weapons better. I like the fact that we are going to get much bigger very soon.

The only check mark that duke gets is that I’d trust Coach K more in a close game.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:10 PM EDT

I see that the full court press we used against Coppin St. was more or less by accident. Well, it was devestatingly effective. I know it was only Coppin I whould expect them to do pretty well, even compared to top tier teams due to their small stature & quickness. So, I think we may have stumbled onto something that can make us even better. It makes sense to use it with our depth in addition to the obvious effectiveness it had.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:13 PM EDT

Damnnit-my pc, all by itself, erased: I know it was only Coppin “St., but breaking a press is 1 thing that” I would expect….see what I have to go through? This is why the bad spelling, grammar, high blood pressure, etc. etc. sorry.

Podunker
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:23 PM EDT

Calipari said, “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

That is translated to, “forget about going to class, doing homework or enjoying campus life, you’re professional basketball players in every way but officially. Forget about everything else, I want you spending six to ten hours a day practicing basketball.”

Isn’t there a limit on how many hours a college player can spend in team practices?

Comments

• Baseball. DeNato Dominates, No. 18 Indiana Blanks Michigan State, 7-0 - Joey DeNato threw eight scoreless innings as the Indiana baseball team (23-11, 9-1 Big Ten) rolled to its seventh straight conference victory and its 11th win in 12 games, 7-0,
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Black Key Bulls, Teter capture Spring Series - Black Key Bulls and Teter captured the men’s and women’s white jerseys, respectively in dominating fashion Saturday, winning in Team Pursuit. In the men’s finals, Black Key
  • Oladipo declares for the NBA - Indiana junior Victor Oladipo this afternoon announced he will be going to the NBA. IU coach Tom Crean
  • Video: Victor Oladipo headed to NBA - Earlier this afternoon Indiana junior Victor Oladipo joined head coach Tom Crean at Assembly Hall to
  • Photo Gallery: Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Check out 30 photos by Jamie Owens from Friday’s Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall featuring IU signees Max Hoetzel and Robert

• Video: Hoetzel, Johnson talk Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Future Indiana teammates Max Hoetzel and Robert Johnson were teammates in Friday’s 2014 Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall, falling

• Etherington Finds Perfect Fit - Indiana transfer Austin Etherington has chosen Butler after a visit on
  • The Thursday Thinker