Indiana maintains No. 1 spot in both polls

9 comments by   |   Monday, December 3, 2012 - 2:45 pm EDT

Duke picked up a few No. 1 votes after beating Ohio State on Wednesday, but Indiana’s evisceration of North Carolina was enough to keep the Hoosiers No. 1 in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls this week. Also, Kentucky fell out of the AP Top 25 for the first time in John Calipari’s tenure. The Wildcats maintain the No. 19 spot in the USA Today poll.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Report: Sheehey signs with team in Montenegro ... or not
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Ron
Monday, December 3, 2012 - 3:40 PM EDT

Minnesota….big varience.

#2 Monday, December 3, 2012 - 7:17 PM EDT

Ok, having withdrawals already from the lack of IU bb, gonna be a long week.

#3 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 3:01 AM EDT

Breaking News: word out of Chicago is IU has stopped recruiting Cliff Alexander because CTC doesn’t want to get involved with his shadey handlers.

Laffy
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 11:34 AM EDT

Here’s the difference between our Hoosiers and Kaintuck: In my paper this morning there is a quote from Calipari: “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

Our guys, especially Jordy, Will and Olidipo, are complete gym rats.

If UK’s players don’t have a work ethic now, chances are they never will.

iuhoosier1992
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:03 PM EDT

I think what may have hurt Duke with the voters is the fact that they went 10 minutes in their game with OSU without scoring a field goal. OSU dropped because they didn’t take advantage of Duke’s poor shooting and tired legs. OSU should have won that game walking away in Duke’s house.

Geoff
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:12 PM EDT

While you may be right, I’m not sure how many voters are aware of that stat…

My guess is that it has more to do with the fact IU has done nothing to lose the #1 spot.

Personally I just don’t think they’re as good. I like our individual pieces better. I like our depth way better. I like our variety of weapons better. I like the fact that we are going to get much bigger very soon.

The only check mark that duke gets is that I’d trust Coach K more in a close game.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:10 PM EDT

I see that the full court press we used against Coppin St. was more or less by accident. Well, it was devestatingly effective. I know it was only Coppin I whould expect them to do pretty well, even compared to top tier teams due to their small stature & quickness. So, I think we may have stumbled onto something that can make us even better. It makes sense to use it with our depth in addition to the obvious effectiveness it had.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:13 PM EDT

Damnnit-my pc, all by itself, erased: I know it was only Coppin “St., but breaking a press is 1 thing that” I would expect….see what I have to go through? This is why the bad spelling, grammar, high blood pressure, etc. etc. sorry.

Podunker
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:23 PM EDT

Calipari said, “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

That is translated to, “forget about going to class, doing homework or enjoying campus life, you’re professional basketball players in every way but officially. Forget about everything else, I want you spending six to ten hours a day practicing basketball.”

Isn’t there a limit on how many hours a college player can spend in team practices?

Comments

• M. Swimming. Hoosiers Set Record at Speedo Junior Nationals - The Indiana University men's swimming 4x100-meter freestyle relay set a new meet record to highlight day two of the 2014 Speedo Junior National Championships in Irvine,
  • M. Soccer. Yarborough Named Head Coach at Stetson - Indiana University assistant coach Ernie Yarborough named head coach at Stetson
  • Being at IU 'a dream come true' for Bayt - Get a scouting reporting on Paul Bayt and the reasons behind his transfer to Indiana after
  • Marshall contemplating UT visit - Top JUCO QB prospect Nick Marshall still has an interest in Texas, and there's a chance he could
  • Video: Juwan Morgan summer highlights -

Waynesville (Mo.) forward Juwan Morgan is one of Indiana’s top recruiting targets in the class of 2015 after a strong summer with MoKan Elite in Nike’s Elite Youth

• What to watch for: Indiana in Montreal -

Indiana begins a five-game tour over six days in Montreal, Canada (with one game in Ottawa) on Aug. 8 which will be the first foreign trip for the program since 2007.

• Derrick Rose calls Oladipo 'big-time talent' - Victor Oladipo is a humble young player, but other NBA stars are talking notice of
  • Indiana among final 10 for Donovan Mitchell - 2015 guard Donovan Mitchell, the fastest-rising guard in the country, cut his list to 10 on Thursday, and Indiana made the
  • Spoiler Alert: TCQ Predicts #IUFB Season