Indiana maintains No. 1 spot in both polls

9 comments by   |   Monday, December 3, 2012 - 2:45 pm EDT

Duke picked up a few No. 1 votes after beating Ohio State on Wednesday, but Indiana’s evisceration of North Carolina was enough to keep the Hoosiers No. 1 in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls this week. Also, Kentucky fell out of the AP Top 25 for the first time in John Calipari’s tenure. The Wildcats maintain the No. 19 spot in the USA Today poll.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
IU, '17 recruits keeping an eye on each other
IU adds Illinois State transfer Zeisloft
Ron
Monday, December 3, 2012 - 3:40 PM EDT

Minnesota….big varience.

#2 Monday, December 3, 2012 - 7:17 PM EDT

Ok, having withdrawals already from the lack of IU bb, gonna be a long week.

#3 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 3:01 AM EDT

Breaking News: word out of Chicago is IU has stopped recruiting Cliff Alexander because CTC doesn’t want to get involved with his shadey handlers.

Laffy
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 11:34 AM EDT

Here’s the difference between our Hoosiers and Kaintuck: In my paper this morning there is a quote from Calipari: “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

Our guys, especially Jordy, Will and Olidipo, are complete gym rats.

If UK’s players don’t have a work ethic now, chances are they never will.

iuhoosier1992
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:03 PM EDT

I think what may have hurt Duke with the voters is the fact that they went 10 minutes in their game with OSU without scoring a field goal. OSU dropped because they didn’t take advantage of Duke’s poor shooting and tired legs. OSU should have won that game walking away in Duke’s house.

Geoff
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 12:12 PM EDT

While you may be right, I’m not sure how many voters are aware of that stat…

My guess is that it has more to do with the fact IU has done nothing to lose the #1 spot.

Personally I just don’t think they’re as good. I like our individual pieces better. I like our depth way better. I like our variety of weapons better. I like the fact that we are going to get much bigger very soon.

The only check mark that duke gets is that I’d trust Coach K more in a close game.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:10 PM EDT

I see that the full court press we used against Coppin St. was more or less by accident. Well, it was devestatingly effective. I know it was only Coppin I whould expect them to do pretty well, even compared to top tier teams due to their small stature & quickness. So, I think we may have stumbled onto something that can make us even better. It makes sense to use it with our depth in addition to the obvious effectiveness it had.

chris K.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:13 PM EDT

Damnnit-my pc, all by itself, erased: I know it was only Coppin “St., but breaking a press is 1 thing that” I would expect….see what I have to go through? This is why the bad spelling, grammar, high blood pressure, etc. etc. sorry.

Podunker
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:23 PM EDT

Calipari said, “Individual players have to fall in love with that gym. They haven’t yet.”

That is translated to, “forget about going to class, doing homework or enjoying campus life, you’re professional basketball players in every way but officially. Forget about everything else, I want you spending six to ten hours a day practicing basketball.”

Isn’t there a limit on how many hours a college player can spend in team practices?

Comments

• M. Basketball. NBA Summer League Roundup - A look at how the five former IU men's basketball players fared during the 2014 NBA Summer League in Orlando and Las
  • M. Soccer. Moore Named to USSDA Starting XI - Incoming Indiana University men's soccer freshman Frankie Moore was named to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy starting XI for the U-17/18 central age
  • Another big event for Whitt - Behind the scoring of guard Jimmy Whitt the KC Run GMC squad made a run to the UAA Finals final
  • James talks about his visit to IU - Last week the Hoosiers hosted one of their top in-state targets in the 2015 class as athlete Isaac James was on campus for an
  • Indiana offers 2015 big man Nick Marshall -

After Raymond Spalding’s decision to commit to Louisville on Sunday, Indiana has moved on quickly with other frontcourt options remaining on the board. The latest

• Video: Williams, Coleman, Battle and Ali at Nike Peach Jam -

Via our friends at UMHoops.com, here’s a look at four Indiana recruiting targets — Kenny Williams, Jalen Coleman, Tyus Battle and Prince Ali — from the Nike

• Indiana offers Marshall, Stevens - There are two new scholarship offers out for Indiana. Find out more about the prospects Tom Crean
  • The Greatest Series: Last Second Shot No. 1 - It would have been hard to give the No. 1 last-second shot to anyone else. This shot gave Indiana the national championship. Read on for the
  • 2015 Recruiting: Big Man Follow Up