Indiana quotes on Florida Atlantic

No press conference today based on the possibility of inclement weather. An IU release with IU’s thoughts on Florida Atlantic follows.

Head Coach Tom Crean

On the unselfishness of the team, evidenced by 27 assists last night against Mount St. Mary’s:

“I think thsee guys are committed to making the next pass. We need people to score. We want to score, sometimes, in a hurry, but never at the expense of the next pass or the best shot. I think the way our guys are moving without the ball and the force of their cuts and the spacing, but most importantly the looking for the next pass, is what’s helping our team as much as anything.”

On the bonding time the team has over break with no classes:

“I think this is a close group to begin with anyway. This just gives them more of an opportunity to do that. They are a close group at all times and it is very obvious to all of us that’s the way it is. But this gives them more of an opportunity to do things away from the court without time constraints. It gives them the chance to sit around the locker room just a little bit longer and watch television and talk. Those are all important parts of the season, just like taking bus trips and things like that. There is always something special in the experience that grows and those are the things that they remember down the road.”

On the ovation that Derek Elston received when he entered last night’s game:

“I thought it was great for Derek. I am not surprised because our fans our tremendous and they are loyal. I thought it was a great feeling for Derek. He already had a high level of energy and adrenaline so it probably calmed his nerves a little bit, and that’s the most important thing. No matter how old you are, when you come back in for the first time from a situation, it is going to be a little different. He settled in and did an excellent job.”

On what challenges Florida Atlantic presents:
“They can really score. (Greg) Gantt can really score the ball. They move the ball well and they run a ton of screening actions. They utilize them really well, whether they are curling or clearing out to look for a drive or using the 3-point line. Any Mike Jarvis team is going to be a well-coached, disciplined team.

“My last time coaching against Mike was when I was at Marquette and he was at St. John’s and I have been a Mike Jarvis fan, and more importantly a friend, for a very long time.”

On having so many people experience a game in Assembly Hall for the first time during these games over break while the students are gone:

“I think there is a level of enthusiasm that people have any time they are in this building. But it is always a little different when they are here for the first time this season or their first time ever. That is exciting. This is the state of Indiana’s program and that’s the bottom line. Everybody in this state has a chance to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers and have for so many years. So when they can come in and see it with their families, parents or grandparents and children, none of us take that for granted. We know that it is an absolute honor to be playing and coaching in front of them.”

Cody Zeller

On the keys against Florida Atlantic:

“Watching them on film, they have some scorers on their team. We going to have to come out and do what we do best, which is play in transition and play well defense. It seems like they are a pretty nice team on film.”

On the bonding aspect with the team now that classes are over for the semester:

“It is a little bit different being on break so there are no rules about how long we can practice. It is a bonding experience for all of us because we are around each other so much, whether we are in the gym or getting a bite to eat. It is a good time for us.”

“It is special, just because it might be the only game that they get to watch this year or even in their life. It might be their first impression of us, so we want to go out and play our best and put on a good show for them.”

Jordan Hulls

On the keys to playing Florida Atlantic:

“We have to have good transition defense, they like to get out and run and shoot 3-pointers. They have really good players who can score the ball so we have to focus on that and we can’t have any miscommunication on defense. That is going to be the biggest thing for us.”

On improving his assist/turnover ratio from last year:

“I have always wanted to be a good decision maker, although last night (against Mount St. Mary’s) I had more turnovers than I wanted. I have always wanted to have a positive assist-to-turnover ratio and it helps a lot to have (Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell) in the game with me because he can handle the ball too so I don’t have to have it in my hands all the time. So having him helps, but it is something that I have to do in order for us to win.”

“It’s a special feeling because whether the students are here or not, we are always selling out the arena. It was pretty loud last night and it is winter break so it was pretty cool to see that. The people that get to see us for the first time, we are trying to leave a lasting impression on them and show them how Indiana basketball can be.”

• Laffy says:

Dustin, did you edit those quotes from Crean?

I’ve seen it mentioned several times, forget where, that he talks about Jesus constantly…. trying to ram his beliefs down everyone’s throats and using his position at IU as a pulpit for his religion.

I don’t ever see him mention Jesus when you quote him on here so I’m curious if you’re taking him out of context.

Or are you on his payroll maybe and don’t give us the full quote so he doesn’t get in trouble?

Thanks bro’ham.

• Chet says:

I had forgotten about Mike Jarvis. As I recall, he’s a very good basketball coach but he had trouble with ‘off the court’ issues, not necessarily his own.

• Laffy says:

I think all of us can agree on our dislike of Kentucky. Well, here is an article you may like:

Top kid in the country picked Duke today. Months ago, he had a Top 10 list and said he wanted a coach he “admired.” He shortly cut Kaintuck off the list.

Ouch.

They still have a incredible class next year but it’s good to see the slime ball rejected.

And I found it fascinating how Coach K recruited him.

• Chet says:

Good article. He sounds like a great kid. Good for him.

I’ve spent a lot of time on the Duke campus and ,frankly, I’ve never gotten the appeal. It’s OK. Nothing special. Same is true for UNC.

• Larry says:

Is Kentucky ranked??? lol lol

• TsaoTsuG says:

Great story about Jabari Parker. Coach K’s success attracting great individuals should not surprise anyone, it reflects his character and his values.

Parker’s approach is a great story in itself. He seems to be very aware that there is much more to life and people than basketba;;. He is fortunate to have a great set of parents and a great brother.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Chet, one thing is the campus, another the schools themselves. Those two are truly among the world’s best universities.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Coach K is a Knight-worshiper. Could care less about the program..They’ve had virtually zilch success against IU in the NCAA tournament.

Duke would be completely irrelevant in the world of hoops without the teachings of Knight bestowed upon the “naturally drifted.”

So glad Cody told of of North Carolina to finally shove it. Without Indiana bigs and Bobby’s genius, they’d(UNC and Duke) be lucky to have 1/4 their total banners.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

…told [all] of North Carolina to shove it.

• Aruss says:

Goals for the game:

Hanner – at least 20 mins of playing time.

Cody – at least 15 shots and demanding the ball.

VO – at least 4 three point attempts.

Remy and Yogi – on the floor at the same time.

I don’t care if they win by 5 or 50.

• Chet says:

TTG, oh, no doubt about it. If fact, I always find it interesting the number of people that put Duke on a pedestal above UNC, particularly in medicine. I work with both med centers. If it was me I’d go to UNC every time. The people I knew who worked at Duke 15 years ago have all drifted across town to UNC. It was just dumb luck on my part as I found myself in a field where I get to work with the best in the world in my specialty. Story of my life. Luckiest SOB you’ll ever meet. The hospital facilities aren’t even close. Duke Hospital looks like St. Elsewhere. UNC is one of the most modern facilities in the world. I guess cigarette money only goes so far.

Harvard, come on now, Coach K surpassed Bobby a long time ago, in every way imaginable (and I’m a Duke hater). You may as well credit Clair Bee with Bobby’s success. Their styles are kinda, sorta similar (in a fashion) but that’s about all. While that program at Chapel Hill has pilfered a few talented Hoosiers over the years, give that team that Dean Smith built its due. It’s a quality program.

It is pretty cool that the Hoosiers tend to get the better of both of them, though.

• Chet says:

Speaking of Duke, the girl who lives next door dropped 4 treys and a total of 14 points for Presbyterian College in a blowout loss to the Dukies the other night. It was her season high. Her parents moved here from Iowa 25 years ago and her Mom and my wife worked in the same ICU. They were pregnant at the same times and all our kids all grew up together and played on many of the same teams. All but one of the bunch went on to be DI athletes and even the one who didn’t was a pretty good athlete. Growing up together made have played a role in that. Fun bunch of kids.

She’s really having a notable career so far. Great to see her doing so well.

• Laffy says:

1) I was in that area about 22 years ago and thought it was beautiful. Not as gorgeous as IU, of course, but still very nice.

2) Dustin, did you edit Crean’s quotes? It was a serious question. While you stink as a board moderator, I think you’re a great journalist and I’d like to know if you’re editing what Crean says.

We’ve been told many times….again don’t remember exactly where….that Crean does nothing but use his pulpit to push Jesus.

And yet, I never see those quotes in your reporting. Are you leaving them out?

3) Chet, excellent point about giving Clair credit for all of Bobby’s success. Heck, even Knight said he learned everything he knows from him.

• Larry says:

Cody, some turnaround jumpers from 10-12 ft? Maybe one 3 attempt?

• Chet says:

Laffy, it IS a beautiful area. The thing about the campuses is that they are each a little oasis within a huge metro area. The auto traffic is much heavier (probably my biggest gripe) and, overall, they are much more crowded as the municipal spill over is just more. UNC, for example has Franklin St. (similar to Kirkwood) but go another block and you are in a big metro area.

Still, either would be good place for your kids to end up.

• Southport65 says:

Laffy, I really don’t know why you care but do you see these comments about God in any other newspapers, on ESPN, on other blogs and at any of his Coaches interviews because I do so it must be a conspiracy to keep you out of the loop when it comes to Jesus. It is best that we not tell you about Jesus with it being Christmas and all. We have to keep you uninformed because we sure don’t want you talking about Jesus. That would be dreadful. Dustin shame on you for keeping Laffy in the dark ages.

• Laffy says:

Do you mean ESPN and all the other papers are also editing out Crean’s non-stop talk about Jesus?

Man, I guess all that talk about the “liberal elite media who hates Christians” is all true.

FREE TOM CREAN!!!!

• General Miles Matheson says:

Ha good for crean! Sticking up for more important things than basketball!

• Ron says:

Oh man. Thought you said free ice cream

• Chet says:

I admit that I don’t go looking for them but I don’t see any more references with religious connotations from CTC than from pretty much any other college basketball coach. For whatever reasons it seems as though football coaches go down that road a little more often.

For better or worse, there’s a lot of recruits whose Momma won’t let you past the front door unless you can produce your religious bona fides. If that’s what he has to do to recruit a player I don’t have any problem with it. Better than having a Kaintuck coach with an envelope full of currency.

• Laffy says:

Seems my posts went over a few heads though I think a couple people got it.

• Chet says:

Low hanging fruit, Laffy, low hanging fruit.

I liked Ron’s response.

• Ben says:

I’ve always enjoyed Coach Crean’s tweets. I am never the first one to church when the doors open, but his tweets remind me that their is something more important then just me.

• So I’m not entirely certain about what’s going on here. I’m pretty sure Laffy’s being pretty facetious, but no, Crean hasn’t said anything publicly about religion or Jesus or God since the end of last season when it was starting to become a trend. He has continued posting about religion on Twitter.

• Chet says:

That’s why I never see them.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?

• 123:

Using your logic, t, there are 128 FBS teams and only 1 national cham [...]

• t:

This time of year: Theoretically, IU has a chance to go 12 and 0, pla [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

If Wilson continues for three straight seasons of winning six games in [...]

• 123:

I love hearing KW say that they have bigger backs this year that can b [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

In honor of the start of a new Hoosier football season, I propose we k [...]

• Podunker: