IU quotes on Jacksonville

Because of the holiday, a number of beat reporters (including myself) are still out of town, and the epic snow would’ve made it tough to have availability anyway. So we’ve got quotes on Jacksonville from an IU release. They follow.

Head Coach Tom Crean
“Jacksonville will challenge our transition defense and our ability to stop middle drives. They love to drive the ball.”

“Our players competitive nature was in full bloom today in practice. Great battles and team was vocal with one another. Rebounding was hard. Driving, sprinting the floor, footwork, shooting and energy were focal points.”

Associate Head Coach Steve McClain
“Jacksonville is a team that has been on the road this season in some tough places like Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri State and they won at Missouri State, a good Missouri Valley program. They are a team that knows you have to play at a high level and I expect them to be ready when they come in our building.”

“They like to play inside-outside, create matchup problems. I think their freshman (Jarvis Haywood) is really having an outstanding year.  He leads them in scoring.  They are a team that plays with a great purpose and Cliff has done a good job of building them back up and a lot of new faces, but you can tell they are getting used to each other and playing together.”

“I like the fact that we come back from the break and still have a non-conference game to get us back in our rhythm.  The last two years, we have come back and opened up right with Big Ten games.  The closer you get to conference play, the veteran guys know what is coming. For the younger guys, I think it’s good to have a non-conference game especially after a break.”

“I think this team shows you the commitment they have to one another when you don’t have one guy late coming back.  They were all ready to go.  It’s a great job of our older guys instilling what is expected. We had a nice workout Christmas. This also is a good time of year because your focus really is on basketball.”

Freshman Yogi Ferrell
“I think the freshmen are adapting to the schedule of college basketball very well.  Our coaches have been preparing us, the older guys have been great in helping us get our mind right.”

“Jacksonville wants to get out and push and run.  We always have to have a guy back on defense.”

“The great thing about our group is that if you make a mistake, you just have to think “next play” and move on.  You have to keep that in your mind.”

Sophomore Remy Abell
“It was great to go home but it’s even better to be back and we are looking forward to getting into the gym.  We are going to get our focus back on what we need to do and what we are trying to accomplish.  The practices have been very competitive and the team is working hard.”

“We have to come right back out and play Indiana basketball from the start.  There has to be no let up whatsoever.  It’s important for us to keep our composure, trust in our teammates and everything should be fine.”

“We know team will come in here and give us their best shot. We have to focus on defense first which ends up creating a ton of offense for us and gets the crowd going.”

• Ron #1

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 4:53 PM EDT

“They play with a purpose”.
    “We must focus on defense first”
    “They know how to play at a high level”
    “They will challenge our transition defense”

I can’t wait to see how we match up. They are ranked….
    I’m looking…not on page 2, not 3. Here they are. #308 out of #347.

This will get us ready for conference play. Wish we had one more “tuner” game. I’ve heard good things about #346 South Carolina State.

• Southport65 #2

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 5:04 PM EDT

Ron, You need to apply for a job at IU to make up their schedule 2 years in advance and try and get some good teams like UK was to play us home and away. No one who has a big time program wants IU home and away on their schedule. Neutral courts are our only option.

• Dcdave #3

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 5:14 PM EDT

I am with Ron. The latter part of this schedule is not conducive for getting a team with our aspirations ready. We do not need a murderers row of games but I bet a MIssouri Vallety team and/or mid level BCS team would have jumped at a home and home. Our first game in front of a hostile crowd will be at Iowa. A road game at a Valley school with 8-10k fans wold have been helpful. What are we going to learn from Jacksonville? An inter squad game would be more interesting.

• Ron #4

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 5:25 PM EDT

I agree. The KY thing put a monkey wrench in the schedule.
    UCLA did’nt happen and if it had, it would be like the victory over NC. Any other year that would have been ..epic?

I think we pay most of the pre-conference teams to show up so pay the 50-200 ranked teams.

This scheduling is probably a science in it’s self. This year its working out with blending Jurkin, Hanner and Elston into the system. Otherwise, after playing 6-7 of these teams, what is the objective of playing more? Kinda like our military having war games with Vatican City.??

• Ron #5

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 6:09 PM EDT

Throw in IU is a .. 37.5 point favorite.

• Laffy #6

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 8:02 PM EDT

Is Southport Crean’s dad?

Sure is odd that Duke and MSU can get home-and-homes with good teams but we can’t.

• Mike P. #7

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 9:35 PM EDT

Laffy,

Besides OSU (B1G/ACC doesn’t count), who has Duke played at home who is worth a sh*t? Elon? Cornell? Please enlighten me?

• Ron #8

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 10:45 PM EDT

Not addresed to me Mike P, but I don’t understand the “at home” issue or the B1G/ACC exclusion?

Hard to knock Duke’s pre-conference (IU’s B1G conference is going to be bruising).

Duke’s SOS is #10 and IU is #284. Duke has played Ky (#13), Virginia Commonwealth (#11), Louisville (#2) and Ohio State (#9). Not sure which if any were at home, but if they were away, that would be even more impressive.

Hopefully IU will get some early season tournament invites next season. We’ve played #27, #38 and #51 and two of those went to OT. My feeling is that our schedule YTD does not prepare the team for conference play. But, I’m not the coach and I do have faith in Crean.

• Ron #9

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 10:46 PM EDT

Forgot Minnesota #10

• Geoff #10

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 10:46 PM EDT

Laffy, that is an unfair criticism… We did have a high-profile home-and-home until it wasn’t renewed at the 11th hour by the other team. You can’t just expect to work out another deal when 90% of the dates and schedule is already set for the next season… for all teams.

You’re going to have to wait until next year to make that particular criticism.

• Geoff #11

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 10:49 PM EDT

Ron – where do you get your SOS? Can you provide a link or something?

RPI has IU at 48 and Duke at 2…

• psych #12

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 11:48 PM EDT

Ron,

The Louisville, Minnesota, and VCU games were all at the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas. None were home-and-home…

• Laffy #13

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:01 AM EDT

Geoff, pomeroy has us that low……and they seem to be the most respected place around.

Yes, we had to scramble because Kaintuck chickened out, but I think we could have found something else.

• Dcdave #14

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:23 AM EDT

Last I looked POmeroy has our schedule at 284 and Sagarin has us at 299.
    In regards to Duke playing mighty Elon….Elon is rated far higher than many of our cupcakes.
    Everyone plays cupcakes but my issue is how many bottom of the barrel cupcakes we play.
    A true road game would also be nice to see.

• Geoff #15

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:23 AM EDT

Like who?

If you respect the Pomeroy ratings so much then I assume you respect it’s rating of IU as #1…

• Dcdave #16

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:29 AM EDT

FWIW…..Just saw that JAcksonville lost by 42, at home, to Wofford.

• Geoff #17

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:32 AM EDT

Not sure how I feel about Pomeroy’s algorithm… It has UC Sana Barbara at #2 SoS… They’ve played 1 ranked team – SDST – and their only other BCS match-ups were against Cal and LSU…. Oooooh, scary.

I’ll take our schedule over that one any day.

• Geoff #18

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:41 AM EDT

2 years ago, when the Jacksonville game was scheduled, they won 20 games, beat Auburn and lost to Florida in OT.

So which “cupcakes” would you like them to schedule for 2014-15?

• psych #19

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 1:36 AM EDT

So, you’re telling me that Nate Silver needs to make IU’s schedule from now on because Tom Crean et al. cannot forecast teams’ records two years in advance? *rolls eyes*

In all seriousness, I am sort of disgusted at how fast people have turned on this program. Do people forget that two years ago, they won 12 games…ALL SEASON? They were LOSING these games to Jacksonville, Bryant, and Florida Atlantic two years ago. Now IU is beating these “cupcakes” by 25-30 points, and that isn’t enough? Do people forget that IU was a cupcake 2, 3, and 4 years ago? Two years ago, no one would want us on their schedule, because the Hoosiers were a cupcake that would hurt their SOS, their RPI, etc. Christ, get some perspective. The fact they are going to likely finish 26-6 or something similar after finishing 12-20 TWO YEARS AGO is a feat in and of itself. EVERY team is going to play a bad game here and there. There is 0 chance a team is going to put forth 100% effort every night against every opponent, Bobby Knight, Coach K, Jesus as their coach, it does not matter. Butler executed their gameplan to near perfection. IU did not adjust well enough to win. Either IU learns from that, or they do not. Again, it’s that simple. I am of the mindset that thinks they will…because it makes the season a lot brighter to assume our team will succeed rather than fail.

• Ron #20

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 8:05 AM EDT

Good points psych & Geoff. How soon we (I) forget.

• Hoosier Clarion #21

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 9:43 AM EDT

Earlier in the season Jacksonville lost to Georgia by 6. pUKe is the chicken**** not IU.

• kurk81 #22

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:13 AM EDT

Agreed with psych, Geoff and others who suggest that we all chill over the schedule. A combination of factors: we sucked when lots of these games were scheduled (when a win over Jacksonville might have looked like our ticket to a winning record and an NIT berth); the semi-pro cowards from south of the river backed out of a probable home loss against us; and the ‘marquee’ games turned out to be against teams having bad years (UCLA/ Georgetown, UNC). So, the schedule is what it is this year, we have two choices – win ‘em or lose ‘em. Next year expect to see Louisville take the place of their academically and ethically challenged KY brethern and maybe a couple of other big match-ups against ranked teams having good years.

• Chet #23

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:23 AM EDT

Well, Pomeroy doesn’t rely much on his strength of schedule in determining the caliber of a team because, as of today, he still has IU as the #1 team in the country.

• Laffy #24

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:18 PM EDT

Geoff–

Sure I’ll take us at their # 1.

Are you going to admit we’ve played, overall, a bunch of girl JV teams?

284? Really? That’s pathetic.

And even if Kaintiuck was still on the list, I doubt it makes it into the top 200 schedules.

Psych–

Stop the “turned on the program” nonsense, Drama Queen. All I’m saying is our schedule is pathetic and that Zeller has not improved one bit.

He certainly hasn’t lived up to “Player of the Year” everyone was slobbering all over him. Hell, he’s not even mentioned anymore in the Top 4 when people before the season were saying he was a “lock” for the award.

• Hoosier Clarion #25

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:26 PM EDT

How much higher than #1 would we be if we listed better than #284?
    Anyone who believes the #284 is accurate also buys bridges.

• Geoff #26

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:33 PM EDT

Well, since a victory is assured tonight, in lieu of my “5 Keys to Victory” I’ll do a “5 Things I Want to See”:

1) floor generalship from Hulls and Yogi – they both struggled against Butler, and Yogi, in particular, has struggled a bit lately with turnovers. Their lack of composure, and inability to get Zeller the ball in good scoring positions, was the final determining factor in the Butler loss. With the B1G season a week away I really want to see Yogi make some strides.

2) Hanner get some meaningful minutes – while he played a bunch last game, a lot of the stat-stuffing came late in the blowout. I’d like to see him play some more with the starters and see how he flows in the system. I’m not worried so much about his defense and rebounding because he can be decent there by accident, but he has been really out of it on offense, and I’d like to see him catch a rhythm, so we aren’t playing 4-on-5 when he’s on the floor.

3) Elston make a couple shots – he reminds me of the Elston we saw 2 years ago, and very early last year, when he hadn’t caught up with the speed of the game yet. Right now everything he does is hurried, and only floor time and more open shots will cure it. I’m convinced he will be an important option come B1G season, and we need to start getting him some confidence tonight.

4) Cody dominate the post – I don’t care what his numbers end up, or how much he plays… I just want him to be a man during the possessions he is used on offense and grab a high % of the defensive rebounds when he’s in the game.

5) Get off to a quick start – IU has beaten teams up with their depth more than anything else. They have let teams stick around with them for the first 5-10 minutes of games though. Tonight is a perfect opportunity to jump out and dominate with defensive pressure and then let the bench get plenty of minutes. I’ve watched some of the other elite teams recently and the ones I really respect have been able to take any confidence their weaker opponents had away early on. If Wofford can beat them by 40 then we should beat them by 50, and it starts from the tip-off.

• Geoff #27

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:48 PM EDT

Laffy,

I’m not convinced our schedule is #48, and I’m certainly not convinced its #284… I think Butler, Georgetown, and UNC are all quality tests. The other games, including Georgia, are whatever… We have enough new pieces this year that any games are good just to get kids acclimated. Luckily we ease into the B1G season with games against PSU and Iowa… Clearly Iowa won’t be easy, but it’s a good primer for tougher tests.

MSU played at least as bad a a schedule as us… Take a look. Besides their 4 BCS games it’s terrible. To be honest, OSU and Michigan have played a bunch of nobodies too, so I’m not sure who is going to be more battle-tested for the conference season.

I think people look at our schedule in a bubble and just assume others’ are better… Take a closer look though and tell me why a 30 beat down of Cleveland State is better than a 50 point beat down of Ball State…

As far as Cody goes, I love having him on our team, and I don’t think I’d trade him for anyone in the country, but that doesn’t mean he is playing up to his potential. He certainly isn’t playing his way into a top 5 selection, which is a double-edged sword for IU.

• Laffy #28

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 1:11 PM EDT

Geoff-

I agree with all your points for “keys to game”, especially # 5. That’s another thing that concerns me about this team. Even against the scrub teams, we need 10 minutes or so to “get into it” and beat them with our depth.

I don’t think that will fly in the Big Ten and/or Dance.

And I don’t buy the excuse for our sissy schedule. EVERY team has “new players to learn the system.”

The time for easy schedules is OVER. I bought that line the last 4 years because we were playing a bunch of walk-ons and freshmen.

I look at pomeroy because the guy knows his stuff and I am not in a “bubble.”

I love Cody on the team as well and anybody who says I want to “run him off” is a complete moron. I’m just saying he hasn’t improved since last year and that he played like a girl against Butler.

• Laffy #29

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:27 PM EDT

Speaking of strength of schedule:

In my Vegas paper today, there was no line for tonight’s game. I noticed that happened several times this season so I wrote to the sports department asking why.

He said he looked at our schedule and said he only saw 4 games that were worth doing a line for because the rest of the schedule was so weak.

Keep in mind, I’ve seen some teams get/give 25 points.

You can get lines from off-shore sites, but most of our games are sooooooooo lame, Vegas won’t even touch them.

So, spare me the “our schedule is no worse than anyone else’s.”

• Mike P. #30

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 9:31 PM EDT

Ron,

Easy, if you read what Laffy said, that Duke was scheduling Home & Home series with these top teams. Only top team Duke played at home is OSU, via the Challenge, and it isn’t a home & home so it doesn’t count toward the argument.

• azhoosier #31

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 10:37 AM EDT

well the NCAA is doing all they can to destroy what started out as a promising season with all the suspensions and then throw in the injuries and you can drop all the…hang banner 6…talk which basically has stopped. Hollowell I guess won’t be back if they are waiting on the NCAA. They fired one crook in that office and a lot more need to go. Like someone said they need to move to Lexington because they would fit in better beings you know who has them in their hip pockets. And one final thing. Can anyone tell me why IU won’t guard the three point shot ? I mean these scrubs teams are burning their arses from beyond the line. It’s going to be a very long season in the B1G if they continue to come out not ready to give it 100%. If they do it against Iowa the game will be over at the ten minute mark of the first half.

• azhoosier #32

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 10:59 AM EDT

I see at least five loses on the road in conf.probably six. They can’t beat good teams away from AH. It’s a fact. I didn’t watch game last night because I’m throwing up all these “cupcakes”.

• Geoff #33

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 1:44 PM EDT

Azhoosier – it’s a little early to state that as “fact”… They’ve played 2 top 25 teams away from AH and split. So they did win a game… This years team is slightly better than last years team in my opinion, so Im not sure why they can’t win a few more road games in the B1G.

I’m critical of aspects of scheme or aspects of players’ games all the time… And as I’ve stated, pretty clearly I think, my expectations are that we play hard, smart, and composed. If that happens I think the wins will follow. While I haven’t been completely happy with the mental effort at times this season, the fact remains that we’re 12-1 with our only loss coming to a very well-coached, ranked team, by 2 points, in overtime, away from home.

I’m not making excuses for IU’s inconsistent play, but to take the sum of the season so far and then come to the conclusion that it’s a “fact” that this team can’t win away from AH is a bit of a stretch.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #34

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 2:09 PM EDT

With the level of parity in the Big 10 this year, I do declare you’ll see every team having fits to win away from the mother’s nest. You just push the little birdies into the world of danger and hope to hell they can fly.

What do you do when snowed in a small town in Maine? A Goeff dedication….

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football

• 15 miles North:

North Carolina & the NCAA. Will NC take down the 2005 National ch [...]

• Jimmy0:

IU Soccer Fan is NOT amused. This one just didn't pass the look test. [...]

• Keith:

Another great team win. Congrats Coach Yeagley and team. Go Hoosiers! [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Seahawk Tom has sure disappeared....along with Russell Wilson and the [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

correction: Since the Titanic sunk in 1914, there have been three c [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

.....who has yet to produce a winning season as a head coa [...]

• Podunker: