Lawrence Central’s Shelt: Hollowell happy at IU

16 comments by   |   Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 2:17 pm EDT

Lawrence Central coach J.R. Shelt said he doesn’t know why Jeremy Hollowell, his former player, has been held out of his last two games at Indiana. He said the one thing he does know is that the 6-foot-8, 217-pound swingman appears happy at Indiana and isn’t looking to transfer.

“Absolutely not,” Shelt said. “I think if he were looking to transfer, I think he would have contacted me about it. I’ve been down to two games, and he played more in one game than the other. He’s happy. He’s never once said to me, ‘Man I wish I were playing more.’ Every kid wants to play, but he’s happy with the program, happy with the coaching staff, happy with the school. I don’t think there’s a transfer situation. I think people are reaching for straws. I think Coach Crean will eventually come out and tell everybody what it was, and until then, it’s not for me or anyone else to speculate.”

In that light, Shelt said he hasn’t pressed for information on the reason Hollowell has been held out.

“I try to stay out of it,” he said. “No one’s contacted me about it, neither Jeremy or his mom. From what I’m reading, it’s just a personal thing, so I just sent a text to Jeremy, saying, ‘Keep your head up, kid.’ He said, ‘OK coach, I will.’ … That’s all I know. I’m just trying to support the kid and the program he’s at.”

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Report: Sheehey signs with team in Montenegro ... or not
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Hoosier Clarion
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 2:29 PM EDT

DD,

Stay safe, have a Merry and a Happy.

HC

#2 Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 4:05 PM EDT

Twitter sources are saying the NCAA is looking at JH’s eligibility. If I recall, once he committed he was selling The Movement t-shirts, hope he and/or his family didn’t try any other entrepreneurial endeavors while he’s been at IU.

I’ll reach out to my contact at the NCAA but she was just let go so I’m not sure she’ll have any current info.

Big E
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 4:39 PM EDT

Coach Crean specifically said it was NOT an academic, behavioral or discipline issue and that it was a personal & private matter. That doesn’t equal NCAA issues unless he is intentionally misleading us, which I find unlikely.

The fact something is reported on ‘Twitter’ makes it suspect in my opinion.

Debbie
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 4:53 PM EDT

Coach misleading us unlikely? LOL. Now that’s a good one.

Ben
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 7:05 PM EDT

Who knows. Everyone seems to have “sources” these days. Hopefully he won’t miss any league play, or very little.

Podunker
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 8:04 PM EDT

Oh, what a surprise. Debbie the Crean-hating troll returns in yet another attempt to disparage IU’s coach.

Give it a break, Debbie. It’s Christmas season. You’re drivel is out of fashion.

Laffy
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 8:42 PM EDT

Hell, Debbie is Crean’s biggest fan compared to HH.

Chet
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 9:33 PM EDT

I can’t imagine why Debbie would post here anymore. Anything with her name on it and everyone immediately thinks, “Oh look. It’s the clueless little troll.”

How humiliating.

Laffy
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 9:55 PM EDT

I thought you guys “ignored” her like you tell me to ignore HH.

Too bad you don’t say the same thing to him when he accuses Crean, and our players, of being the biggest bigots in the country.

And as a player/person, I’d rather be labeled “lazy” than a hateful bigot.

When Debbie spreads that lie 24/7 like HH does, let me know.

And, I do think she’s worthless……..just surprised she gets your wrath while saying “Who cares what he thinks so just ignore him” when it comes to HH when he’s faaaaaaaaaar worse than her.

boise st. broncos
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:30 PM EDT

I can’t imagine why Debbie would post here anymore.

Maybe because because she gets a kick out of you.

maaco van basten
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 11:27 PM EDT

^ very funny.

Hoosier Clarion
Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 1:01 AM EDT

Aruss,

Is the gal you refer to the one fired because her boyfriend could not keep his mouth shut about the inside info he heard from her?

Podunker
Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 1:49 PM EDT

Larry, the only thing Debbie the troll ever posts are derogatory comments about IU and/or Crean. HforH makes a lot of comments on a variety of issues other than his disdain for Crean.

Laffy
Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 2:36 PM EDT

So?

What he says about Crean, and the players, is faaaaaaaaaaaar worse.

And 10,000 times more often.

boise st. broncos
Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 2:38 PM EDT

Podonke, totally agree about H4H. He’s the best thing that has ever happened to this blog plus he really has no disdain for Crean — in fact I believe his support for Crean easily exceeds the “support” offered by Chet, you and Taso combined simply because Harvard’s is real.

I’d ask what Larry you’re talking to but then you’d start again blabbing about your phone and your minor in films so let’s just ignore that for now.

Crean: banner or hell in 2013, you hear me? Merry Christmas.

Laffy
Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 4:45 PM EDT

Thanks for your input, HH’s mom. Did you send cookies down to the basement to him after you wrote that?

Comments

• M. Basketball. Taking A Timeout With #IUBB: Benefits of Canada Trip - WATCH VIDEO | Members of the men's basketball team talk about the benefits of the trip to Canada in early
  • M. Swimming. Hoosiers Set Record at Speedo Junior Nationals - The Indiana University men's swimming 4x100-meter freestyle relay set a new meet record to highlight day two of the 2014 Speedo Junior National Championships in Irvine,
  • Inside the Locker Room - With July behind us the recruiting picture is clearing up for Indiana's efforts with the Class of 2016. We'll dive into that and more in our
  • 2015 duo sets official visits - Two of Indiana's top recruiting targets in the 2015 class, Shake Milton and Juwan Morgan,
  • Juwan Morgan, Shake Milton set date for official visit to Indiana -

Two of Indiana’s top recruiting targets for the class of 2015 will take official visits to campus together this fall. Waynesville (Mo.) forward Juwan Morgan and Owasso

• Report: Will Sheehey to play professionally in Montenegro -

It appears that former Indiana forward Will Sheehey has found a home for his first season of professional basketball. Sheehey will join KK Buducnost of the Adriatic League in

• Morgan, Milton to visit Indiana together - 2015 guard Shake Milton and forward Juwan Morgan will visit Indiana in September together in
  • Derrick Rose calls Oladipo 'big-time talent' - Victor Oladipo is a humble young player, but other NBA stars are talking notice of
  • Quarry Q&A with Dustin Dopirak, Outgoing Herald-Times IU Athletics Reporter