Sources: Etherington broke knee cap, in surgery this morning

According to sources, Indiana sophomore forward Austin Etherington’s left knee injury is a broken knee cap and he is in surgery to repair it this morning. An Indiana spokesman refused to officially confirm that early Sunday morning, however.

A source said Etherington is likely to miss a minimum of six months, which would end his season. Guard Maurice Creek’s first knee injury in 2009 was also fractured knee cap, and that cost him his season as well.

The injury occurred with 2:28 to go in the first half of Saturday’s game. Etherington stepped into the lane to attempt to take a charge from Central Connecticut State’s Terrell Allen. The two appeared to make knee-to-knee contact and Etherington immediately crumpled to the floor. He was taken off the court on a stretcher and immediately left Assembly Hall for medical attention. IU coach Tom Crean said after the game that an official diagnosis had not been made as of the time of the post-game press conference.

• Geoff #1

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 12:22 PM EDT

What a bizarre injury… Just awful. The fact that it’s happened to 2 guys on the same roster is ridiculous. Has to be the first time in history that 2 guys on one team have suffered from broken knee caps in separate injuries.

Hoping against hope that we don’t have any more of any serious nature. Watching this team play I truly feel like injuries are the only thing that could derail them from a #1 seed.

• Laffy #2

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 1:16 PM EDT

Congrats on getting your first “scoop”….this was linked on Peegs.

(You know I’m just busting your chops, right?)

• Disgruntled #3

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 1:32 PM EDT

I usually like you dustin but this is low. The reason they wont confirm the injury is because iu is trying to give the mens soccer team its day in the sun. Basketball gets to overshadowing soccer 364 days a year but iu is trying to let the soccer team have its day but you just cant keep basketball news on hold for one day like iu is trying to do. Not good.

• Geoff #4

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 1:40 PM EDT

I’m sure that Dustin and the Scoop wont cover the soccer team today… Coverage usually stops after the semifinals, so my guess is yesterday morning will be the last we hear about the soccer team on here… Oh, what’s that? There’s already a Live Feed link up over on the Men’s Soccer page?!

Let Dustin DI his job and cover news stories as they happen. He has a readership to be concerned with, and we would all either be asking him for updates or going elsewhere to get the news.

Kudos for doing your job well Dustin, and staying ahead of the story.

GOOD LUCK TO THE SOCCER MEN TODAY!

• Laffy #5

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 1:45 PM EDT

I disagree it was “low” as I’ve seen 10,094 requests for more info.

Great job, Dustin.

• Laffy #6

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 2:08 PM EDT

Peegs is now reporting that he’ll be out for 8 months. I guess he’s “low” for reporting it.

• Dustin Dopirak #7

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 2:29 PM EDT

Thanks Laffy. Disgruntled, IU just put out an official release. IU soccer will have its day regardless, and I’d suggest it’s better that it’s out of the way early. The news cycle turns so fast anymore that people will have mostly gotten this news out of their systems by the time the game starts at 2 p.m. Not that people will stop caring about Etherington, but I doubt this will do anything to take away from the spotlight.
    I see where you’re coming from though and I understand your point, but I hope you see mine when I tell you I have to cover news when it happens.

• Bombay Sapphire #8

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 10:40 PM EDT

I agree with DD, this doesn’t over shadow anything the soccer team just accomplished. Jordy Hulls being at the soccer game(in Alabama) to support the soccer team justifies that yes- what happened to AE was unfortunate, but life moved on and today’s story line belongs to the 8th star.

Random stat that doesn’t matter but is still interesting- Will Sheehey, the Sheenius himself, has no blocks this season and only 12 career blocks in over 1,200 minutes of play. Sheehey is a great player, super athletic and a tough defender, I would’ve never thought through 9 games this season he would have 0 blocks. I’ve heard of coaches who don’t allow certain players to try to block shots(due to not trusting them with foul trouble) I wonder if Sheehey fits into that category since he is prone to pick up quick fouls.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #9

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 11:09 PM EDT

9000 people attended a championship soccer game?

The blizzard of the century could hit Indiana and we’d still put 9000 in Assembly for a basketball exhibition game against Mayberry University.

A 60-year-old Mark Spitz could strap on his Speedo and draw a bigger crowd at a College Mall autograph signing.

We have the #1 basketball team in the nation. Shove it down our throats…I’ll gladly choke on every morsel and then pUKe it up in the face of the Establishment.

Dustin- Good plan sending Jeremy and Osterman to Siberia to cover soccer. I enjoyed the guest from Fort Wayne that appeared on ScoopTalk. Be sorta neat to have a different guest from various papers around the state for every ScoopTalk.

• Hoosier Clarion #10

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 11:11 PM EDT

After 9 games Will has fouled out 1 game but still averages a low 2 PF’s per game. His activity and pressure on D may limit the # of shot opportunities the opponent he is guarding earns.

• Higgi #11

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 11:40 PM EDT

Sorry to hear that Etherington will be out for the season. I believe that this was his last game wearing an IU uniform…with 6 recruits coming in next year, Etherington had to show significant progress this year to remain in the Crimson & Cream.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #12

Sunday, December 9, 2012 - 11:46 PM EDT

Etherington’s Hoosier Christmas song

Merry Christmas Austin!

Love, Higgi

• Laffy #13

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 1:01 AM EDT

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football