Tom Crean’s statement on Jeremy Hollowell

14 comments by   |   Friday, December 21, 2012 - 11:07 pm EDT

Before the post-game press conference, Indiana coach Tom Crean read a prepared statement about Jeremy Hollowell and the reason he didn’t dress for Saturday’s game. It follows.

Jeremy is dealing with a personal and a private matter that is in no way related to academic behavior or disciplinary issues. He has our full support as we look for a quick resolution. Out of respect for he and his family, we will not discuss it any further.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
Ben
Friday, December 21, 2012 - 11:34 PM EDT

Hopefully a resolution can come soon. Good things will happen for Jeremy, if he stays the coarse. If you believe the twitter transfer rumors that is. Regardless, I hope Jeremy does what is best for Jeremy.

AZ Hoosier
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 12:24 AM EDT

So I hear a rumor there is questions about Hollowells eligibility? Is the NCAA on a witch hunt against Iu still? DD can you look into it?

#3 Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 12:51 AM EDT

AZ, somebody pointed out to me that someone posted that on Twitter. I have no idea about that whatsoever. I don’t have anybody I could call this late on that who would actually pick up, but I’ll try some people tomorrow and see what I can find. I will be on the road on my way home for Christmas, but I’ll do any and all checking that I can.

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 1:31 AM EDT

“So I hear a rumor” becomes “…someone posted that on Twitter, ” without sourcing or confirmation after CTC stated it had “nothing to do with academic behavior or discipline.”

It seems to me it is important to not give much credibility to “twitter rumors’ nor agitate the readership, speculate and begin to ascertain facts before reacting to them publicly, don’t you think so AZHoosier? don’t you agree DD that we would all be better off without paying attention and ‘creating a rumor’ every time someone passes gas?

I’d be happy if JH was allowed to do what he has to do to resolve his problems with the support of his Hoosier family, and that CTC kept us up to date with information. Though, I must admit that the athletic information office does not always appears to be forthcoming and timely to Hoosier followers and CTC seems to confuse as much as he clarifies to rather simple and straight forward issues.

So DD, even if they don’t give you the time of day, would you pass along our concerns to the Athletic Department. Given our support, don’t you agree we deserve better?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 6:29 AM EDT

Maybe he’s refusing to pray in the locker room.

Ben
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 7:32 AM EDT

Haha Harvard. :)

Chet
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 9:51 AM EDT

There are things in his life other than basketball!!??

I got to get back the my “Hoosier Basketball In the 90′s All Day Marathon”.

Ron
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:20 AM EDT

Some guy on Yahoo Sports Re; Holloway. Indirect agent contact. That would be strange. Not seen the type of play out of him yet that would support agent contact.

We’ll have a good test against Jacksonville before B1G play. Oh, sorry, wrong. Ranked #312 and Fl Atlantic at #260. We did look pretty good, at least in the first half playing #260. If someone gets hurt playing #312 I may go off the deep end.

Chet
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:24 AM EDT

I think of all the kids that crash and burn when they head off to school (ever hear of Larry Bird?) and it’s amazing the percentage of athletes that don’t. Sure, at a school like IU they have a better support that most of the student body but they’re still kids. My kids were required to spend X amount of time in a study area with an ‘academic coach’ that was more like a TA/Mom than anything else. They were pretty solid students already but I’m sure she saved a lot of kids’ butts. They phased it out over 2 or 3 semesters.
At the Ivy League school they don’t give any such help. Sink or swim.
I’ve always assumed Jeremy’s affect was just the way he is but the dude never looked very happy. Let’s not just assume it’s about basketball, though. Life has many facets that affect a person’s well being other than sport (hard to believe, I know).
He’s just a kid and, whatever he chooses, I hope it makes him happy.

Ron
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:36 AM EDT

Forgot to add I take the Yahoo guy with a grain of salt. Crean said the reson was personal and private. Don’t think that quote would cover ncaa issues

#11 Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 12:06 PM EDT

Tsao,
The rumor was actually reported (as in, the guy claimed to have a source) by a media member. But I don’t know enough about said media member to print what he’s got. If it were just a rumor (like the thousand or so I heard last night that he was transferring or that it must be grade issues) I wouldn’t have even mentioned it on here. Obviously, as you can see, I’m not lending too much credibility to it because I’m not posting it. But since AZ asked and because someone who actually counts as media has reported it, I’m not going to ignore AZ’s question and for that matter, I’m not ignoring it as a possibility. I’m just telling the truth, which is that I can’t refute that and I can’t confirm it and I’m trying to find out.
Directly or indirectly, Tsao, I pass along those concerns every day.

AZ Hoosier
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 12:13 PM EDT

Thanks DD. safe drive and happy holidays

MD Hoosier
Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 12:37 PM EDT

You do a truly great job, DD! Thank you!

Florida Hoosier Girl
Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 12:16 PM EDT

Thanks for all your hard work! It makes it so much more fun to be a Hoosier Fan in Florida when we have all these places to go to get information. Have a wonderful holiday!

Comments

• Track. Kinnaird Sixth at World Junior Championships - IU freshman Tre'tez Kinnaird finished in sixth-place at the World Junior Championships in the 800m run. His time (1:47.13) is the second fastest in school history for the
  • M. Tennis. ITA Day 2 Updated Draws - Updated draws are posted after the second day of the ITA Summer Circuit tournament in
  • R100 DB Lewis loves UM visit, names top four - One of the most publicized visitors at Michigan's BBQ on Sunday was Florida commit Marcus Lewis. The Rivals100 defensive back from
  • IU defeats Purdue in alumni rivalry game - Last night on the campus of IUPUI the Indiana team made a furious comeback to beat the Purdue team
  • 2016 point guard Payton Pritchard talks IU, USA Basketball experience -

It’s been a hectic spring and summer for class of 2016 West Linn (Ore.) point guard Payton Pritchard. The 6-foot floor leader was one of the standouts on the adidas

• Five-star center Thomas Bryant on IU: “They’re recruiting me pretty hard” -

Class of 2015 Huntington Prep (W.V.) center Thomas Bryant is one of 33 players in Colorado Springs this week vying for a spot on USA Basketball’s U17 World Championship

• Indiana Elite advances to championship game - Kyle Guy, Hyron Edwards and others have led the charge this week in
  • Hoosier Links: July 27, 2014 - In today's Hoosier Links there is a story about IU's alumni beating Purdue Saturday night in hoops and an AAU report out of Las
  • Women's Basketball Coach Curt Miller Resigns from Indiana