Crean to be featured on The Journey

Indiana’s Tom Crean and his relationship with Dwyane Wade will be among the topics on the Big Ten Network’s “The Journey,” on Sunday night. The BTN sent us a teaser for that, which is above.

The Big Ten Network spoke to Crean himself for the feature and spoke to Wade, the Miami Heat All-Star and two-time NBA champion, at length for his insight on the man who coached him at Marquette.

“One of the things we try to do on the show is we want to give Big Ten fans and our viewers a greater sense of who some of these people are in our conference,” said Bill Friedman, the coordinating producer of the Big Ten Network’s original programming. “Coach Crean is someone who in the spotlight. Indiana was preseason No. 1, and in a short matter of time, he’s rebuilt the program. In our profiles, we want to see what makes somebody tick, and the best way to do that is through other people. Who better to talk about Tom Crean than arguably the most talented player he’s coached. in Dwyane Wade. Last year the logistics with Mr. Wade didn’t work. He has a pretty busy schedule, but this year, we were able to get some time with him.”

Friedman didn’t want to give too much away, but said the interview with Wade was enlightening.

“I think it comes across very clear that Coach Crean had an enormous influence on Dwyane Wade,” Friedman said. “One of the stories he recounted was when the Heat were in Indianapolis for the Pacers series and he came down just to spend some time with Coach Wade had been struggling the series, and he just wanted to spend some time with his confidant to try to get back on track. The other story that I loved, we asked him did he remember the Christian Watford shot against Kentucky. One of the first thing she did was he texted LeBron, because LeBron is a big Kentucky fan. I thought it was cool that was the first thing he thought to do. Wade has some really good comments on that whole shot. I think Indiana fans will really enjoy what he had to say.”

• Bombay Sapphire says:

Dwyane Wade is my least favorite NBA player, he and Dwight Howard deserve to be each other’s teammates. Over – rated !

• Harsh, Bombay. Since LeBron and “The Decision” I’ve always considered him basketball’s Derek Jeter in a number of ways. There’s an argument to be made that he’s still living off the ’06 Finals, but in his defense, that was one of the very best NBA Finals performances of all time by every statistical measure. Overrated? Maybe, but still pretty freaking good.

• Bombay Sapphire says:

Yeah I’ve never liked his demeanor, how he’s marketed, how much ESPN loves him, or his game. Fans treat him like he’s Kobe. He’s closer to Vince Carter(loser) than Kobe(winner). Wade went to the line for a record setting amount of times, gifts from an NBA that loves creating ‘super stars’, that is the only statistical measure I recall affecting that series. Even bringing up the finals from 7 years ago sorta helps my cause. DWade will say good things about Crean though and kids like Victor will get excited. I’m glad he’s affiliated with IU through Crean and all that but as an NBA player I’m not a fan. Speaking of the NBA- Kendrick Lamar’s Black Boy Fly has a nice tribute to Aaron Afflalo.

• Podunker says:

Really, who cares about the NBA or the NBA players? When Cody or VO depart for the NBA, unless they’re on the U.S. Olympic team, I will have watched them play basketball for the last time.

I’d rather watch a Big Ten basketball game, picked at random, than any NBA game. However, I will say this. When you watch an NBA game live, at the arena, it is impossible not to appreciate what phenomenal athletes these men are. To be that big, move that fast, jump that high and do what they do is something to behold. They are incredible athletes! But other than that, the NBA game is crap.

• I don’t think the NBA game is anywhere near as exciting as the college game, but for me personally, that doesn’t mean the NBA is useless. I’m usually honed in on college ball through the end of the tournament, and barely watch an NBA game until the college season is over, but between then and June, the NBA and baseball split my viewing and I think NBA Playoffs are definitely worth watching. Basketball is always better when the stakes are high, and a big part of the problem with the NBA regular season is that the stakes aren’t anywhere near as high game-to-game as it is in college, simply because there’s so much of a difference in length of seasons. Even the playoffs don’t equal the college game for fundamental purity, but I still think they’re fun to watch.

• Chet says:

I heard Colin Cowherd, a lifelong NBA junkie, going on and on about how Wilt was just on a different level than anybody else, with a long list of players and accomplishments including the degradation of center play in the League, and I had to wonder if Geoff happened to catch his rant.
    One of the players he mentioned was former Hoosier Walt Bellamy. I like Cody. I like him a lot. But he would be beaten to death by Walt Bellamy.

• Washington Apple says:

The NBA unwatchable, and I’m not even sure I can explain why. The only thing I can come up with is that things happen too fast. Does the short shot clock limit offensive strategy and encourage one-on-one showboating? Do the players dog it on defense? The last time I watched a game, I even got frustrated by how many jump shots were falling – it was as if the players were almost too good to make the game exciting.

I miss the epic battles of the ’90s. I miss Vlade Divac, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel upsetting Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp year after year in the playoffs as the lower seed. I miss having a Michael Jordan and a Scottie Pippen to hate. I miss Fat Charles Barkley running around in a Rockets uniform, and the Jailblazers with Rasheed Wallace and Ruben Patterson. I miss Reggie Miller vs. Spike Lee. I miss the Clippers being the Clippers. It was all so interesting back then.

Chet, is Cowherd an NBA junkie? I’ve always thought of him as the ultimate NFL guy (which he is, too).

• Lord of the Overrated Leprechaun says:

^Put some nuts on it and we can have a Laffy Apple.

• Laffy says:

I’m sure the people who rip me for name-calling will blast you too.

Oh.

Wait.

They LOVE name-calling when it’s against someone they don’t like.

It’s just “un-called for and has no business here” when it’s directed towards them.

Nevermind.

LOL!!

• Laffy says:

The most obnoxious/pretentious people on earth are those that say:

“You’re not a REAL American because you don’t believe the way ‘I’ do and support our President 100%.”

“You’re not a REAL Christian because you don’t believe EXACTLY the way ‘I’ do and it’s OBVIOUS that YOU interpreted the Bible incorrectly while ‘I’ got it right.”

“You’re not a REAL fan because you DARE look at the flaws in the team. You HAVE to cheer the way ‘I’ do to be a REAL fan.”

“You’re not a REAL Republican and are a RINO unless you think EXACTLY the way ‘I’ do on ALL the issues.”

Barf.

• Bombay Sapphire says:

I’ve gone back and forth the past few years but I’m more of an NBA fan than college at this point. NBA on TNT Thursdays beats out watching IU play 12 cupcakes any day. The fundamentals in college are really overrated. There are usually a few fundamentally sound kids on each team but college bball certainly is not dominated by fundamentals(as its so idyllically rumored). Its dominated by future pros and their amazing athleticism. Everybody thinks fundamentals win in ncaa but that’s a misguided joke. Take a look at any of the recent final4 teams and you’ll see future pros in each lineup. Sure non-pros who are fundamentally sound can contribute in college, but they don’t win the ‘ship. If you like fundamental basketball watch NAIA ball. Those are 5’9-6’8 kids who have played ball their whole lives and do so without being D1 or NBA level athletes. The reason the NBA is better than college is simple. When you get extreme athletes who also have the full package of fundamental skills….it is a thing of beauty aka LeBron, Kevin Durant, Kobe, Paul George etc. Sure the NBA is full of guys who never met their potential, but it also has numerous who have, that’s something that NCAA can’t say since kids of 18-21 years old simply are no where near their peak as athletes or players. Also people say that the NBA is unwatchable at times because there are so many games— that’s true but again college schedules are equally worthless occasionally. IU has played 19 games, 10 of those games are against complete joke opponents. If you’d prefer to watch IU score 100 against a Sam Houston State that is unfairly over matched and only playing IU for some quick $ than college is your go to. Sure a great college game, like IU vs Kentucky is must see TV. But so is a great 7 game NBA series. Oh another reason NBA is better….its not run by spoiled suits. Everyone plays everyone. 2 coaches who don’t $ee eye to eye can’t ruin a great series(Kentucky/IU) like in college. College bball is far from pure, people who are negative toward the NBA but hold the NCAA on a pedestal are just kidding themselves. College bball is about as clean as college football……dirrrrty.

• Chet says:

Washington Apple, Oh yeah, Colin is all about the NBA. College football first, probably the NFL and NBA tie for second, and he doesn’t give a rip about college basketball. Doesn’t even talk about it. Baseball gets 100 times the discussion on his show in January that college basketball does but his audience knows that going in. I only listen to him if my dog and I are driving somewhere some it’s rarely more than 20 minutes at a pop.

I probably haven’t sat through an entire NBA game since Reggie Miller retired. I enjoyed those Pacers/Knicks games. I don’t even know who is on the Pacers or the Bobcats (closest team to me). I DO know that the Bobcats are historically terrible in a large part thanks to the mismanagement of Michael Jordan. I find that somewhat entertaining.

I’m right there with you, I don’t really know why I also find it unwatchable. I am one of those stick-in-the-muds who feels like it is physically impossible to pick up your dribble 25 feet from the basket and change direction twice before getting to the rim without traveling.

Back in the day I couldn’t take my eyes off a Celtics/Lakers/76ers/Pacers/Knicks game. Never got into the Bulls, maybe because I felt the talent wasn’t as equal among several teams as a few years prior.

Bombay Sapphire, I can’t argue with a word in your post. Oddly enough, I’ve watched more Southern Conference or Big South basketball the past few years than NBA (that being said, UNC Asheville had Syracuse beat in the 16-1 game last year and got hosed). I find something enticing about those diamonds in the rough. Or a Kenny George (easily the largest human being that I, personally, have ever seen) There were two automatic bids determined by games played within a few days of each other in Ashevelle last year. Imagine that.

Who knows why we like some things and not others? Try as I might, I can’t watch soccer for more than a few minutes. Maybe if I someday have grandchildren play the game. On the other hand, my heart will almost leap out of it’s chest watching a collegiate wrestling match. Different strokes for different folks.

• Rico Chet says:

I remember those. Oh the excitement of seeing 25 players on the court at the same time! Those were the days…

• Washington Apple says:

Bombay- Great comments; you argue your point well. I’m not saying I like the college game because of “sound fundamentals.” I actually hate that argument. I’ve never though “fundamentals” or “love for the game” were more exciting than watching the best talent. People try to make a case for women’s basketball and the Little League World Series using that same reasoning and it drives me nuts. Basketball without slam dunks, or baseball with metal bats and 10 year olds…it’s like eating tepid soup with no salt. What I think I can’t stand about the NBA, and what stops me from watching it, is that is has no personality, no rivalries anymore. It seems to run on pure, unbridled athleticism, which is impressive and awe inspiring, but… just not interesting. I like the college game because of the timeless rivalries and the tribal attachments that we develop to our schools. Even with the endless revolving door of one and dones, IU is always IU, UCLA is always UCLA, and you keep cheering as if nothing has changed (how bout dem Bruins, by the way? Great to see ’em back among the contenders).

Chet- Cowherd is a Seattle guy, so it makes sense that he doesn’t talk a lot of college hoops, since we tend to produce NBA talent more than we cultivate elite NCAA programs. For the record, that guy is awesome. I enjoy his style more than just about any radio sports talker ever.

• Chet says:

Yeah, I like him, too. He manages to see the big picture most of the time and stays away from the hype. He sees sports as a distraction and not a devotion even though it is his livelihood. Me too (not the livelihood part).

• Podunker says:

Well, I’ll take a stab at articulating a few reasons why the NBA game is unwatchable to me.

Lazy players, especially on defense, standing around flat footed. That’s really boring.

The erosion of the rules. Traveling is now a joke in the NBA. You can take two steps, jump up, land, then jump up again, and it’s not traveling. Guys routinely take three and four steps while driving to the hoop. No calls. What a joke. Double dribbling, palming the ball, etc. Today’s NBA game does not even resemble basketball.

Superstar preferences on foul calls. Michael Jordon got away with so many fouls and was given so many calls, that while I was a huge fan (and a Bulls fan), I would laugh out loud at the favorable treatment he got. Same with Coby.

Too many games, and almost everyone makes it into the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs are worthless. Reduce the number of games and one round of the playoffs, and the regular season games would mean a lot more than they do now. More meaningful games would improve the quality of play and make the game more exciting.

The shot clock is too short. Another five seconds on the shot clock and the quality of play would be much better. Ball movement, defense, shot selection, moving without the ball. The value placed on those aspects of the game has been greatly diminished by the NBA.

Buying championships. Hey, the owners with the most money win the championships. Changes need to be made so that the NBA moves closer to the NFL in terms of parity.

They are the best athletes in the world, but the game they play has been degraded. It’s really just sports entertainment now.

• Punjab says:

Every year I find myself watching the NHL Playoffs and wondering why I don’t watch more hockey during the regular season. Not so much with the NBA. The six or so weeks it takes to get through to the finals is way more than enough viewing for my taste.

• Washington Apple says:

Punjab, please elaborate more about your NHL observations. I’ve always really wanted to love hockey, but I find it hard to assess the intricacies without having played the game. I think there are a lot of attractive parallells with the NHL the NFL: high speed, violent, exciting, lots of parity, new champions every year…but there are a lot of negative parallells with the NBA too, such as too many teams making the playoffs. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

• psych says:

Punjab,

The reason why NHL Playoff Hockey is > NHL Regular Season is the same reason NBA Playoff Basketball > NBA Regular Season: too many games in the regular season, which leads to quite a few “meaningless” games in October/November when the playoffs are 6 months away. Watch the NHL regular season this year, and it will be near-playoff hockey level once the guys get their legs under them. The NHL playoffs do allow in 8 teams in both conferences, but hockey is a sport where the #8 seed is quite capable of beating a #1 seed, even in 7 games, due to hot goaltending, lucky bounces, and better special teams play. The L.A. Kings were the #8 seed in the playoffs last year…and finished as Stanley Cup Champions. Why? Two things: 1) Their regular season saw a lot of their key players miss time due to injuries, which meant that once they returned for the playoffs, they became a better team and 2) Jonathan Quick became the hottest goaltender in the NHL. Has a #8 seed ever won the NBA title?

• kenny george says:

i agree with podunker. i use to watch nba in the old days, but my love of our indiana team began overriding any enthusiasm for the nba and their style of game. i miss larry bird, reggie miller and a host of others. my only respect for the nba are the guys who show up to represent our country in the olympics and risk injury to their career for OUR COUNTRY.. well spoken podunker and aeveral others on this link today. go iu, go college basketballl…….

• Chet says:

Asheville used to have a hockey team in one of the ‘goon leagues’. One of Wayne Gretzky’s brothers played and another was the coach. ‘The Great One’ came to quite a few games. I’ve never been a jersey buying guy but I kinda wish I’d bought one of the ‘Smoke’ jerseys with Gretzky on the back.

I didn’t know the intricacies of the game but it was pretty easy to tell the difference between those guys and the NHL.

• Chet says:

Hey ‘kenny george’,
    Did you ever get a chance to see Kenny George in person? I am not exaggerating when I say that he frequently blocked shots at his elbow or even his triceps. Six foot nine guys looked like little kids next to him.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Chet,

Did he not lose some part of his leg from a non injury or accident? Something in my memory but kinda blurry.

• Washington Apple says:

psych- what you described is exactly what I like and don’t like about NHL playoff hockey. While I like to see underdogs win, I also want the regular season to mean something. Maybe its from watching year after year of really good Canucks’ teams run into “the hot goalie” in the playoffs. I’m left thinking, “man, does it really all come down to this? One guy?”

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Nate “The Skate” Archibald
    Clyde “The Glide” Frazier
    Earl “The Pearl” Monroe
    Wilt “The Stilt” Chamberlain
    John “Hondo” Havliceck
    Bob “Butterbean” Love
    Norman “Stormin'” Van Lier
    Chet “The Jet” Walker
    Julius “The Doctor” Erving
    The Big E

At some point the mega contracts waiting in the wings, the saturation of coverage, and the yearly circus atmosphere surrounding NBA drafts for the college game prima donnas slated to be multimillionaires before they even slip on their first professional jersey, stole the chance for us to melt our hearts into the personalities of the game. It seems so much about ego anymore..They give themselves all the limelight they’ll ever need.

The fans have been stripped of their desire to watch the personality of a player evolve into a nickname. They have no desire to make them into heroes of hardwood. They now come into the NBA game with everything they need. The press coverage that begins when they’ve barely sprouted a chest hair in the 9th grade, the slimy boosters, the manipulating agents serving as ‘handlers’, the Tom Creans and John Caliparis of the world that glorify the service they provide in finding and channeling NBA talent while functioning as a college coaches for the rest the mere mortals, the sports talk shows inflating the already fully inflated, the pre pre-Draft parties, the 8-hour ESPN specials before during the Draft, the NBA watch lists….the pumping our ears with the dollar figures followed by six zeros soon to be handed to a 19-year-old that knew he was already king of the world when he wasted the one year of his life when he couldn’t flaunt his money for some college team he could give a rat’s a$$, etc, etc, etc.

Nicknames? Heroes? It’s amazing we have any interest at all. They stole our interest. They marketed it to death. They built their pyramids before we could decide a name to give every damn one that is already king. King James. Enough said. Hell, a clever fan or teammate in the locker room deciding to call you “Butterbean” used to be enough. “Stormin” was a simple phrase created by your dedicated fans…It symbolized how you played on the court instead of how you went after a hotel maid when you order room service.

The college game is teetering on the same circus world that turns all levels of worth into a dollar sign. March Madness is the only thing that humbles the game and takes us out of that individualistic realm…Without March Madness the college is nothing but a hotel maid for the NBA executives using it, buying it, and cheapening it as their fantasy whore soon they’ll own. They continually deny they went to bed with the college game…And the stars may think they’re stars and ‘kings’, but they’ve been owned. They no longer make their way slowly into our hearts. They no longer need the fans to bestow one tiny contribution of their ‘personality’ onto the game. They’ve been fully crafted, molded, marketed, and crowned before the official tosses the ball up for opening tip-off..

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Ron:

Here you go with the headers again. Surprised it was not something l [...]

• Jeremy Price:

Ron, Here's our [...]

• Double Down:

There was a lot of whining and crying about the football team this yea [...]

• Ron:

And...The Navy Seal killed Tuesday attended IU in 2004-2005 & was [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

You are correct, Chet. Majerus was a truly great basketball coach. [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

VIDEO: IU Pole Vaulter Sophie Gutermuth talks about hanging out at the [...]

• Chet:

I just meant that he left IU as it was on the upswing and joined the S [...]