ESPN’s O’Neill: “Basketball Means More In Indiana”

19 comments by   |   Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 4:53 pm EDT

Just started reading this and it takes a while, but it’s Dana O’Neil, and it’s about the value of basketball in the state of Indiana, so I didn’t have to get past the title and the byline to know you guys would want to read this. She’s about as good as there is at this sort of thing.

Enjoy.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Official statements on Kenny Johnson
Jeremy Hollowell transfers to Georgia State
Johnson leaving for Louisville
Former Indiana player Mike Woodson fired by the Knicks
Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
#1 Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:17 PM EDT

No, Harvard. You can’t say that.

#2 Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:18 PM EDT

But I’m glad you enjoyed the story.

Laffy
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:29 PM EDT

Excellent read….thanks for posting it.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:31 PM EDT

oops. Sorry. I actually took on a few paragraphs after the spontaneous combustion…I found it a bit boring(you know..like the talking afterward).

I wish the author could have found the guy with the hoop on the silo and simply dedicated the story to the singular more than the plural. Sometimes simplicity the approach makes for more depth. Let the reader build the bridges. Just my take.

Ron
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:45 PM EDT

Thanks Dustin. She Nailed It.

But Indiana route 50 needs to be traveled on a motorcycle to feel it’s essence

Martinsville Gym. There last week watching a Junior High game. As a kid, it was enormous.

Forkey’s. Breakfast there nearly every day.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:57 PM EDT

If you desire hoops just outside tacky, follow your nose to Mackey.

If you seek the lore a brief inspiring tinkle, visit the museum of Mr. Hinkle.

If you hear the call of banner basketball, you’re a Hoosier found Assembly Hall.

Ron
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 6:05 PM EDT

Harvard I don’t think we can build bridges if I remember the Obama quote. Maybe it was just roads.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 6:15 PM EDT

Dana Pennett O’Neil has been a sports writer with the Philadelphia Daily News for eight years. The beat writer for the Villanova men’s basketball team, she also is a backup reporter for the Philadelphia Eagles. During her time at the Daily News, O’Neil has covered various events including the Super Bowl, Final Four and World Series. A New Jersey native, O’Neil is a graduate of Penn State University.

Anymore need be said? She’s pure Establishment. Covered Villanova hoops.

They write this cutesy garbage, but inside they giggle and mock.

#9 Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 6:27 PM EDT

Good Lord Harvard… when you can’t read Dana O’Neil of all people on Earth without thinking “Heartless Establishment Hack,” then you’ve lost all touch with reality.
She grew up in Philadelphia. There are good people there too. Seriously. Stop.
Or for that matter, just read anything else she’s written. This is the sort of stuff that’s in her wheelhouse. These are the type of stories she always does, on the East Coast, on the West Coast. In the Midwest. Everywhere.

Punjab
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 6:44 PM EDT

Phenomenal article, and a shout out to Marlin Elementery School. Played ball there many a time– even in college. Nothing like a bunch of 18-year old kids acting like they’re Michael Jordan- or rather, Harris Mujezinovich– on a full court with eight-foot rims built for third-graders. Actually, I think one end of the court was closer to nine feet. At 6-3, I still had to jump to dunk it.

And does that footage from Nick’s ever get old?

Laffy
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 6:47 PM EDT

I told ya HH was a bigot with a tinfoil hat…….

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 6:48 PM EDT

I was joking around, Dustin..Tossed you a Laffy biscuit.

I’m going to go saddle my tractor now.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 6:54 PM EDT

Podunker
Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 9:59 PM EDT

The article was a tribute to people of Indiana and their love of basketball. I thought she did a great job, especially given that she’s from out of state.

I remember my freshman year at IU (fall of 76). I made friends with numerous people from out of state. They really did not understand or appreciate hoosiers’ passion for BB. By the end of their freshman year they sure did. It’s contagious, especially the year after your school wins the NCAA Championship. I was blown away by the atmosphere watching my first game in Assembly Hall.

kurk81
Friday, February 1, 2013 - 2:20 PM EDT

Thanks for the link, Dustin. Makes me look forward to being at William Henry Harrison HS tonight to see my Raiders take on Noblesville. The Wooden mention made me think of my favorite retort to the local PU fans who brag about their all-time series lead vs. IU; we lead the series since Wooden was in high school. And since he graduated from PU, we lead the series comfortably. And since they stopped having a jump ball after each basket. It’s great to be alive and be in Indiana in the winter.

#16 Friday, February 1, 2013 - 3:14 PM EDT

kurk81, good luck to your Raiders, I’m here in Lafayette myself.n I live in a house that is divided here. Right now I have bragging rights but don’t say much about the results from the other night.

kurk81
Friday, February 1, 2013 - 3:34 PM EDT

I feel ya, Larry. My late Mom was a PU grad (class of ’49), my daughter is a soon-to-be IU student, but her boyfriend will be a PU student in a few months. The kid even owns a couple of PU shirts. Bought with my credit card.

TsaoTsuG
Friday, February 1, 2013 - 5:19 PM EDT

To quote a Penn State grad convert to the religion of Hoosier roundball, Good Lord Harvard!…Dustin is completely right (Tell me the truth, did you do this to call attention to Dustin??? Did you, Harvard? Are you now doubling as his straight man?).

I went into the piece with skepticism (I so confess), wondering if the writer could/would capture the essence of US 50; and found myself thinking as I got drawn into the hills and curves and barns and fences of US 50, she’s nailed it…she’s nailed it! A beautiful, beautiful piece that evoked everything that is pure Hoosier and Indiana innocence. So much so that I began to think back on the beautiful memories of the fence in a farm in northern Indiana and your memories of your dad and his pride in the gate and the lights he installed in the driveway.

For an instant I thought, I wonder if she somehow had read that particularly piece in Hoosier Scoop (not an outlandish idea if she follows basketball seriously and does as most good journalists would which is place her index in the artery than allows a reader to feel the palpitation and warmth and rushing blood of a Hoosier heart).

I loved her imagery, even the fact that she did not go back to the silo with the basketball backboard and didn’t find the owner to interview him…it was right there and it said it all, it was what it is…and has always been and will always be. Yes, I could hear the crunch of the gold and red leaves carpeting the ground and smell the burning of leaves raked off the corner of the round ball court.

You’re too good and too sensitive and too poetic Harvard to get caught up in the technical writing manuals…appreciate the fact that others see that same purity and envy us Hoosiers because it never goes away and because she knows what we know…you can only find it in one place in this entire Universe.

So send Dana O’Neil a note…and just thank her for having discovered who we are… and where we live and why we love our Indiana.

Geoff
Friday, February 1, 2013 - 9:46 PM EDT

Well said Tsao….

Comments

• Baseball. No. 13 Indiana Blasts Ball State Behind 9-run Sixth Inning - Using a 9-run sixth inning, the 13th ranked Indiana Hoosiers defeated the Ball State Cardinals, 10-1, at Bart Kaufman Field on Wednesday night. IU has now won 14 out of its last
  • Softball. Softball Tops Louisville, 8-3 - The Indiana softball team combined a flawless defense with effective pitching and a solid effort at the plate to secure an 8-3 win over visiting Louisville at Andy Mohr Field. The
  • Report: Hollowell to transfer to Georgia State - Sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell, who announced his intent to transfer from IU on March 24, has committed play his final two seasons of college basketball at Georgia State, CBS
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Big inning powers Indiana to another victory - Nine runs in the sixth inning, five off the bat of catcher Brad Hartong, broke open 1-1 tie to power
  • Crean comments on Johnson's departure - Indiana coach Tom Crean issued a statement earlier today on the departure of assistant Kenny
  • Video: Kenny Johnson introduced at Louisville -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Former Indiana assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Kenny Johnson was introduced as a member of Rick Pitino’s coaching staff at the

• Jeremy Hollowell transferring to Georgia State -

Former Indiana forward Jeremy Hollowell will finish his collegiate career at Georgia State. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports and a source close to

• VIDEO: Johnson meets the Louisville media - Former Indiana assistant Kenny Johnson had plenty of positive things to say about IU on Wednesday when he met with the Louisville
  • Official statement on Kenny Johnson departure - Here's what Indiana coach Tom Crean had to say about losing his assistant coach to
  • Foreign Study: Hoosiers in Pro Leagues Overseas