Hoosier Morning

1. HOOSIERS HQ
One good half was enough to beat Penn State, but Indiana will need more against Minnesota, among other takeaways from Monday’s game, I wrote.

Unbeaten Michigan continues to lead the way in the Big Ten power rankings, I wrote.

The new IU Varsity Shop is now open on the west side of Assembly Hall, Mike Leonard wrote.

Former Indiana soccer player and assistant coach Caleb Porter met with the media as the coach of the MLS’ Portland Timbers for the first time Tuesday, the Associated Press reports.

2. IT’S INDIANA
Christian Watford might finally be emerging as a force in his senior season, ESPN.com’s Myron Medcalf muses.

Australian 6-5 guard Dante Exum, the son of former UNC player Cecil Exum, is scheduled to visit Indiana this weekend. Here’s last year’s video feature on the father-son duo from Contact Sport in Australia.

IU’s Eriq Zavaleta comes in third, Luis Soffner 53rd and Caleb Konstanski 67th on the MLS Draft big board, from topdrawersoccer.com.

3. BIG TEN COUNTRY
No. 2 Michigan could get deeper and better with the return of 6-10 Jon Horford tonight against Nebraska, Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News reports.

New Purdue football coach Darrell Hazell’s staff is starting to take shape, Mike Carmin of the Lafayette Journal and Courier writes.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
Some highlights of 2014 prospect Dante Exum at 2012 Adidas Nations.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #1

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 2:06 PM EDT

Dante Exum has a Verdell Jones look about his game. Dips the shoulder going to the basket…always in that middle gear. Don’t see the hard acceleration or much explosiveness.

Unless there’s been big improvement not reflected in last year’s video clip provided above, I’m not sure why we’re interested…Unless he also reminds Tom Crean of VJ.

• Florida Alum #2

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 2:25 PM EDT

Saw no outside shots on that video. Did I miss something?

• Laffy #3

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 3:30 PM EDT

Saw this on SI:

Weird fact that David Woods of the Indy Star pointed out: Ever since Chase Stigall made the go-ahead three with 1:02 left in overtime of Butler’s upset of Indiana, on Dec. 15, he hasn’t scored a point.

• Debbie #4

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 4:11 PM EDT

Nothing in that video or this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=DjeBCyrL2YU&feature=endscreen
    reminds me of VJII, except maybe his weight.

• Geoff #5

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 4:30 PM EDT

I saw Exum in some kinda international competition this summer… He was by far the best player for Australia and I immediately started looking for more info on him. He reminds me a bit of CJ McCollum – way more shifty and athletic than VJ. He’ll finish in traffic with a 2 hand dunk. I saw him make several 3′s over the course of a couple games. It’s always hard to tell how someone will adjust to being a role player against good competition when before they were the focal point of the offense, and I don’t think he’d ever be that at IU, but he has the skills to be a solid double-figure scorer for multiple years. He’s definitely better than VJ in my opinion. Someone I’ve been hoping IU would recruit since I first saw him.

• TsaoTsuG #6

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 5:26 PM EDT

Interesting about the Aussie. Our present U.S. Sect. of Education, Arne Duncan, played as a pro for several years in Australia (he was a college player at Harvard). And, continues to play and is our President’s favorite bk-ball partner. (About 6’3″-6’5″ range. He was pretty darned good. Here (Chicago) he continued to play and was part of a group (which included MJ, Pippen and other former Bulls) that played (plays) informally at Hoops, the Gym on Randolph. Duncan more than held his own.

He (Duncan) and I became close (we worked together for almost 10 years). He met his wife Karen in Australia (born there) where she played in a women’s pro-league. Great, great people (they have two kids now almost exactly the age of my two grandkids- 5 and 2 1/2. Anyway, both Arne and Karen were very, very good players.

I think we’ll continue to see a greater and greater penetration of the NBA by foreign players. Because many of them do not begin until late, they develop their skills later. But, because their coaches are more technical ‘students’ of the game, they do not develop the ‘technique’ and ‘recognition’ issues that beset many of our own players. Players like Ginobili are gold here because their tactical development is very advanced once they get here.

Where they do have greater difficulty is developing ‘natural’ skills. I fully expect Perea to have a slower learning curve for offensive moves since he is relatively ‘new’ to the game (at best, I don’t expect he’s been playing more than 7-8 years). Same with Jurkin; both of whom can probably catch a ball with their feet as well as with their hands. For both, it is a matter of repetition and repetition. The good comes from the fact that there will be fewer ‘bad habits’ to unlearn.

With really strong teaching and coaching, both will grow by leaps and bounds over the next two years. I seriously doubt we need to worry about the NBA with either for at least a couple. Anyway, this new prospect- Exum- has the advantage that his dad was his coach and is probably way ahead of the curve.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #7

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 6:15 PM EDT

Move over Hardee’s girls, I bring you Ben Allen!!

• Podunker #8

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 6:47 PM EDT

Does anyone else hear the talk that if CZ stays for his third year at IU, Jurkin will depart? I think that is pure speculation based on the difference between the high expectations associated with Jurkin’s arrival (the hype) and the realities of his limited playing time so far this year. But the more games in which Jurkin does not play any significant minutes, especially when Elston can’t play, the more I’m hearing that. Is this legitimate or just garbage talk?

• Laffy #9

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 8:47 PM EDT

Where are you “hearing” that?

I haven’t seen it on Peegs, though I don’t see every post on there.

If anyone transfers, even if Cody leaves, my money is on him and/or Jeremy.

• Podunker #10

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 10:22 PM EDT

As I said, I think its pure speculation. People are noticing that now that the suspensions are over, Jurkin’s not playing, even though Elston is not up to full speed. We’re a little thin in the post! Also, we have a potential scholarship crunch coming next year.

I did not see it printed anywhere. I received an email from a buddy (who lives in Indy) that is also an alum and rabid Hoosier fan. He forwarded it to me from about four other Hoosier fans, the first of which was the one that said he had heard the rumor.

I think it’s BS. 7 foot athletes don’t grow on trees. I believe Jurkin has a lot better athleticism/coordination than IU’s former 7-footer that transferred a year or so ago.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #11

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 10:26 PM EDT

How can speculation ever be “pure.” It’s thick in tongue that licks dirt off of any floor.

• Ben #12

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:11 PM EDT

I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if it was true PO. I hope Jurkin can get it together. I really do. Obviously the games missed hurt, but I think he would still be lacking. With all the talent coming in, Peter looks like the odd man out. Jeremy has a future in my opinion. Though what do I k now. I have said for 2 years Austin would transfer. Just with Cody and Fischer, Peter would be holding down the bench in my opinion.

• Hoosier Clarion #13

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:30 PM EDT

…and he would be court ready upon CZ’s exit…with 2 years, who knows maybe 3 years left for success…

• Punjab #14

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:38 PM EDT

Not to feed into the rumor mill, but the proposed NCAA transfer eligibility rules would allow Jurkin– or anybody with a 2.6 GPA– to go to another D-1 school without having to sit out a year. If it goes through, I wonder how that might play out with some of our own guys not getting the PT they thought they would.

• TsaoTsuG #15

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:08 AM EDT

Sorry, there must be a lot of free time. Where do people come up with this BS? Jurking is five weeks into his college career after getting out of a God forsaken place like southern Sudan and ends up in Bloomington, IN where we have real trees from which they make real benches and see green hills and real pretty buildings with cars and everything. Who invents this BS? Some people are warped…Forget about respecting the reader, respect the kid living out a dream!

After all the c–p with A-Hope and the nine weeks and …he’s worried about pine time while he learns and gets an education and hopes to learn enough for an NBA career. Do any of you of the rumor mongers know anything about South Sudan? Darfur? Maybe we should break NCAA rules and get Peter an I-Phone to keep him entertained while waiting a little while. Be fair to Jurkin!!!!

• TsaoTsuG #16

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:13 AM EDT

PO, if you think it is speculation, don’t pass it on!

Harvard, well said (about thick tongues,etc).

Ben, give Peter a chance to decide what is best for him. Don;t push him out five weeks into his college career.

• Punjab #17

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:47 AM EDT

Tsao, I do know a bit about Sudan. I grew up in student-family housing less than a mile from Assembly Hall; Redbud and Banta apattments, to be exact. I played school-yard basketball with the Duany’s at Tulip Tree for years, and got to know the family pretty well. You may know their story. Both parents are former South Sudanese refugees and now are now educators at IU. they continue to do instrumental humanitarian work in their homeland. Their stories, much like Peter’s, could’ve ended in horror like so many hundreds of thousands already have. Thankfully, they were fortunate enough to escape, and use that gift to try and better the lives of their countrymen.

They are good, grounded, warm-hearted people who don’t take anything for granted. And I see the same demeanor in Peter. He doesn’t strike me as the kind of young man who would bail; rather, he seems like someone appreciates the opportunity that he’s been given. Of course I’ve never met the man. I can only go off his story and how he carries himself.

You’re absolutely right that people are jumping to conclusions off of hearsay. But, that’s what the media does, and that’s part of the reason we read. I hope that Peter stays. He’s raw, but I think in 2-3 years time he will become a fan favorite regardless of his development.

I do wonder, though, if and how much the proposed transfer rules change would affect other recruits who aren’t as satisfied playing a smaller role on a stacked team. We can’t expect them all to be that grounded.

• TsaoTsuG #18

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:06 AM EDT

Punjab, yes…that’s exactly the point and Peter, your friends, the Duany’s and any other human beings who was freed from that horror deserves to be helped and supported for whatever they seek and we can provide. Hopefully they (Jurkin included) will be able to take a bit of what we can give to change even one minute of any life there.

However his basketball turns out, I choose to believe in who he appears to be and his future contribution.

I appreciate your words, and hope that those speculating on Jurkin’s back get some understanding of the possible impact of their speculation. Thank you.

• Aruss #19

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:27 AM EDT

I just saw the Minnesota score at UI and now I’m worried. Does anyone have a scouting report?

On the other hand, Michigan looks beatable.

• Chris in Denver #20

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 11:59 AM EDT

That SI article on power rankings was interesting. I had no idea that Michigan shot the least amount of free throws. But what surprised me more was that Michigan is the only NCAA team to ever win a game in the tournament (march madness) without hitting a single free throw.
    (it was against Tennessee and they only attempted one free throw) I am not sure what anyone else thinks, but I don’t see Michigan going very far this season based on their free throw stats alone. What team makes it to the Final Four without creating fouls?

• Laffy #21

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:30 PM EDT

It sucks Afflack wasn’t nominated for best director for the Oscars.

• Ben #22

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:50 PM EDT

Tsao,

I am not forcing Jurkin out. I really hope he can get it together, and be effective. All I am doing is reading the cards that have been dealt. Consider this. Before the season started, Elston was throwing baseballs to Murkin, to improve ball handling. I mean, that is a basic of the game of basketball.

All I am saying is he is behind. Sitting on the bench with Fischer and Zeller would be worthless, and I imagine he would think the same. Could be totally wrong. Again, I HOPE I am wrong.

• Podunker #23

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 4:55 PM EDT

I sincerely apologize if anyone thought the question I passed along on this string was “spreading rumors.” That was not my intent. I heard the rumor via an email string, from some passionate and serious IU BB fans. Thought it unlikely, but I when I began thinking about it, it was easy to see how the question could arise. So, I asked if any of the participants on this site had heard it. If asking a question is spreading rumors, well then I guess I screwed up. But I think a few people are being a little too sensitive and a few others are being hypocrites. I do not see how asking that question could, in any way, be damaging to Jurkin or the team.

What I find interesting is that none of the journalists coving IU basketball have asked Crean the question, “why is Jurkin not playing more minutes now that he is off suspension, especially given Elson’s knee injury?” It would seem to be an obvious question.

I think many fans, like myself, were under the impression, probably based on all the hype surrounding “the solution,” that Jurkin would come in and be able to contribute in his first year. I do not recall any stories describing him as “raw,” “a project,” or “projected to red shirt.” Then we read that Elston is throwing him baseballs to help him improve his hand-eye coordination. Then he’s suspended for nine games (due to no fault of his own), so we wait patiently to see him play. When he’s finally eligible, he does not play. Even when Elston ‘tweaks” his knee and is held out of a game, Jurkin does not get any significant playing time against a lower-echelon Big Ten team during a blow-out game. Is Jurkin hurt? Is he sick? Why is Jurkin not playing 5-6 minutes, before half and at the end, in a game with IU up by 20 points and in total control?

It’s easy to see how people paying attention could begin to ask questions and do the simple math. We have Cody, we have another 7-footer arriving next season, and if all the non-seniors decide to stay, we may have too many players on scholarship. As has been well chronicled in this blog, someone would have to go. Since two months ago I never would have considered Jurkin a candidate for departure, I thought the question, given recent developments (or lack thereof), was reasonable. Since obviously no one else has heard anything, I will, once again apologize for my offense and drop the matter. But I would encourage one of the Herald Times’ sports reporters to ask the obvious question, “why is Jurkin not playing more minutes?”

Sincerely!

• Laffy #24

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 6:22 PM EDT

Po–

I have your back on this one as I don’t think it was “over the line” at all.

We’ve got a serious scholly crunch and Peter isn’t playing at all. It’s a legit concern.

When I rip the players and say they use criticism as motivation, I’m told, “I really doubt they read this place” so I don’t know how what you said is “hurting” him.

• TsaoTsuG #25

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 7:33 PM EDT

Podunker, I’ve never thought (and no-one who reads you with any consistency should ever think there is any evil intended in a post contributed by you). I don’t, period. Having said that, I’ve always been concerned and detested the ease with which this blog seems to descend into rumors and is used as a medium to spread these, rumor-mongering for which no-one can ever find an origin.

I’ve seen it happen time and time again in this blog. It happened in regards to football (about Lynch, about KW’s character, about assistants- in both staffs. About players and their disinterest in class, about heavy drug use, about cheating, about alcohol-abuse, about abusing women… About basketball; about Crean, about his religious fervor, about his recruitment ethics, about his integrity, about contradicting his own morality, about suspected violations that could get Indiana the NCAA ‘death penalty’, about cheating, about his history, about his tolerance of behavior by his players. I’ve seen it in soccer; about the coaching job, about the reasons for the selection of Coach Todd Yeagley, about the influence by his dad Jerry on the Varsity Club and Alumni Assn., about the reasons behind dismissing the last coach- a former Yeagley (Sr.) player. Sickening!

I’ve read rumors as to why IU does not recruit in Gary and the Region, or in urban areas and soon those rumors turn into a racial/ethnic/social origins argument. I’ve read rumors about the reasons why certain stories are published and certain stories appear to be ignored or, worse, buried. I’ve read rumors about the relationship between the press and the athletic administration; rumors about the finances of athletics, rumors about criminal behavior…and, somehow these get spread around between ‘real good IU fans’ and take a life of their own and , suddenly, are being repeated as if they were ‘fact’.

It is abominable and we should treat it as such. Call them out! Often, those repeating them KNOW there is no truth to them…and they repeat them anyway (ironically, often with the proviso that ‘I don’t believe it , BUT…

Give you an example. Someone tells the story that they saw Coach Wilson in a restaurant having a drink in a social setting. Someone else repeats it as ‘he tips a few too many’ and by the third stop, he has a ‘drinking problem’. Beginning with nothing but a social drink, or the ‘after-aroma of a mixed drink’ to a ‘paralyzing health habit’ to ‘corrupt character’ in less than three blog posts and 10 minutes. I’ve read it about coaches here, about former coaches and their staffs and, worse and much more evil, as chances to attack the families of those coaches.

There is no truth to them, yet they become reality. Worse, we innocently (in some cases not so innocently) pass them on, claiming ‘I read somewhere…’ But it is a reality that they impact careers in people vulnerable because of their public roles. And, it impacts their families…kids who suffer real wounds from having to hear these ‘untruths’ stated over and over in their schools. A rumor is nothing but that, an attempt-willingly or unwillingly- to vilify an individual for an agenda that has nothing true to do with that person or the rest of us.

Why would any adult, five weeks into the first year and five months after he arrived in Bloomington with the memory of bombs going off, people being executed in the street, women rape, arms cut-off, children abused and, in some cases, enslaved; children for whom a ‘good day’ is finding a refugee camp even raise the question that leads others to inquire about the ‘worth’ in a basketball game of an individual from South Sudan? Why would anyone believe that Crean would be such a cynic? Why would anyone believe that we Hoosiers are so vile as to head down this road just because a couple of ego-centric fans or writers with a sensationalist agenda want to hype situations to benefit their interest?

Never, not ever have I thought there is anything but honesty and passion behind what you write Podunker. You are a model of a great Hoosier fan. But, there are people who are waiting to use your passion and curiosity to their ends and diabolical manipulation. I would put my hands on fire for your sincerity and honesty (I’ve now known you- and argued with you often enough- and admire your integrity and passion). But, I do not and would not say the same for many of those who come on this blog under the guise of being ‘fans’ and spread their jelly of vitriol to all, without regards to consequences.

For this reason, I ask that we ALL consider the source and the likelihood that the ‘innocence’ of a rumor often vilifies those of us who listen to them.

Hoosier on great friend!

• TsaoTsuG #26

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 8:00 PM EDT

So Ben, so you think that neither coach Crean, nor his assistants to whom we voice marvel and praise for how they have revived us from 2-and however many, to top five, just are not astute enough to have figured out that Peter Jurkin needed to develop basic skills for catching the ball; or has not yet trained his eyes to follow the path of the ball. Somehow, I have the bothersome feeling that one of the three has the IQ to figure that out and are not depending on their prayers to the Virgin Mary to have sensitivity return to his nerve tips without the help of interested fans.

Have any of you considered that perhaps they are weighing the possibility that the coaches may be considering ‘red-shirting’ him but are not announcing it at this point preempts their ‘needing’ him in the event one of the bigger men (read that Elston?). The number I believe is something like 30%.

Ohhh!

• Jeremy Price #27

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 8:35 PM EDT

Tsao,
    A little clarification on the redshirt. The 30 percent I believe is actually 20 percent and only applies to medical redshirt situations. Once a player enters a game for a single play, he/she cannot redshirt except for a season-ending injury, which also must take place in the first half of the season. So Jurkin cannot redshirt this year now.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #28

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 8:54 PM EDT

Remy barely saw the floor in November and December of last year any more than if he was the product of a nine game suspension. It was only an injury that thrust him into the fire to play anything but garbage minutes.

Did he complain? Did anyone care about scholly crunches possibly encouraging Remy to think of transfer options? Where was the outcry?

Here’s the deal…It’s an honor to wear the candy-stripes. Nobody cried bloody murder last season when real talent was being left on the bench.

Whatever reason Crean feels in his heart to put a kid on the roster is the result of the personality he wants on his team. There will always be the huge question marks regarding offers and playing time.

Is anyone crying in Bobby Capobianco’s beer..Is anyone worried that Matt Roth’s heart was bruised by an Indiana that seemed to toss his desires to play his final year of eligibility out with the morning trash? Is the Marin kid(now enjoying his 6th year at ND to play out his eligibility)deserving of his dreams more than Matt Roth?

Rumors..PT..Rumors..PT..Who the hell cares!? Knight screwed many a player over. It goes with the territory. I can’t imagine the terrible things that Tsao describes. But when you’re 18-years-old, the world is only as fair or unfair as the keeping of promises you felt sold to your dreams.

We all know some of these guys will never develop…But just as Matt Roth’s unselfishness made those slated for stardom better men, so will Peter Jurkin, Austin Etherington, Danny Moore, and Maurice Creek. We could argue for eternity if they deserved to be kept on the roster. Save the world to break a heart of one more deserving the trust he/she thought had been earned…That’s a hard one for me.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #29

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 8:56 PM EDT

correction: [Martin] kid at ND…

• Podunker #30

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 8:59 PM EDT

Tsao, thanks for your thoughtful post. I agree with you regarding the use of sites like this to spread rumors and and to attempt to impugn or destroy a person’s character and /or reputation. I joined you and others in criticizing those that participated in spreading the rumor about Wilson shortly after his arrival in Bloomington. I’m proud to be part of group that does not remain silent in the face of such comments.

But we also have to understand that this is a blog, and some of the stuff we don’t like simply comes with the territory. No matter how hard we try, we’re not going to eradicate that. If you open the pages of Playboy, you will see nudity! If one finds that offensive and intolerable, then one should avoid the magazine. And people know that blogs are not a legitimate source of news. Blogs are discussion groups with relatively few rules. Also, it’s one thing to spread a rumor that is intended to, or has potential to impugn the character or otherwise damage another person. I don’t think that is the case with the question I posed above. There is no way that question damages Jurkin, impugns his character or damages his reputation, in any way. For anyone to suggest it could hurt the young man is simply not valid.

While in hind site, which is always 20/20, I can see how posting that question could be considered “spreading rumors,” and I now wish I would have posed the question in a different way, it is nonetheless, harmless. It’s kind of like someone posting, “Has anyone else heard that if HforH decides to post a comment on every string on this blog, Tsao Tsug is likely to go give his computer away?” So what? Where’s the harm in that question? Who gets hurt? How does that impugn anyone’s character or damage anyone’s reputation. It’s benign and so was the question that I unfortunately passed along via this blog.

A scholarship athlete transferring or being encouraged to transfer is not a scarlet letter. It is not the traumatic event as some people imply it to be. In fact, it is becoming more and more common, and is likely to become even more common in the years to come. There is no shame or disgrace in deciding to play a sport and continue one’s education at another university, any more than it would be disgraceful to decide to work for another company or move to another state. I love Indiana University and think it’s a great place to go to college. For me, it was and still is the best place to have gone to college. But I understand that not everyone in the country will agree with me and that there are other great places to attend college, play basketball, or whatever. Furthermore, it is not a crime or an immoral act if a college coach decides to encourage a player to transfer to another school. In most cases, it’s probably an act of compassion and is almost always necessary for the good of the team. As I’ve said on this site before, who would want to invest all that time and effort, and risk injury, without any chance of getting significant playing time, especially when that person may have better options.

Tsao, while I appreciate your protective instincts regarding Peter Jurkin and other young adult athletes, as expressed on several other occasions, please remember that Jurkin is not a child. He is a grown man. And let’s remember that most of these college athletes are pretty tough-minded people. They have to be to get to this level of competition. And given where Jurkin came from and what he has had to endure (as you say) to get where he’s at, my guess is that he’s a pretty tough and resilient young man, certainly tough enough not to be affected by someone posting a question about him on The Hoosier Scoop.

• Podunker #31

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:24 PM EDT

Tsao, as evidenced by #26, it appears you were a little behind the curve regarding the redshirt option. I thought that was understood, otherwise I would have made reference to that in my original comments. Sorry.

HforH, be careful, you are once again projecting a sense-of-entitlement onto these scholarship athletes. The other side of the issue of “the Marin kid” now enjoying his sixth year at ND is that he is taking the place (and maybe a scholarship) away from another, younger athlete that has not had ( and may never have) the opportunity that Marin enjoyed for five years. Yes, that’s right, by extending his time playing for ND, Marin is depriving another young person of the opportunity to be on that team. No matter how you slice it, given that there are a finite number of roster spots in college sports, somewhere a young adult was deprived of an opportunity to play because Marin chose to extend his time at ND for a sixth year. Regardless of the circumstances, six years of eligibility is ridiculous, and in my opinion, is just selfish.

• Chet #32

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:30 PM EDT

OK, I’m either clairvoyant or delusional (maybe both) but somehow I have always been under the understanding that, while he’s not Tijan, PJ had a ton of work to do before he was Big Ten ready. That’s why the nine game suspension was such a big deal.

Was the general consensus he was good to go? If so, why wasn’t everyone else recruiting him?

• Harvard for Hillbillies #33

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:41 PM EDT

And you are projecting Jurkin entitled to minutes when he can barely dribble a basketball. Who got their scholarship screwed out the backside because of that entitlement used to paint our coach as Jesus?

You want brutal honesty? You know damn well Jurkin couldn’t play on a top Indiana high school team. There are no transfer options for that young man. Stop being a fraud. You know what you were doing the moment you placed your slithery innuendo into your first post. You be f…ing careful.

You want to take gloves off? I’ll gladly step out in the alley. Don’t you dare patronize ne with your “I love Indiana” BS. All you snakes choose to do is crucify everyone and everything except the guy in the mirror. Demonizing JPat…Sick and twisted.

Demonizing Geoff yesterday…? Same play, different scene.

Big men playing with their words in their playpen blogging world. I’ll take JPat in a foxhole next to me before the whole lot of you.

• Hoosier Clarion #34

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:07 PM EDT

Po,

I’ve always thought from the 1st time a 6th year was awarded it was a step in the wrong direction.

• TsaoTsuG #35

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:30 PM EDT

First things first. Jeremy Price, I appreciate your clarifying ‘the red shirt’ rule and that it does not apply once the player has played one play, short of a physically disqualifying injury in the first fifth of the season (about 6 games). I did not know that. And, I have read the question of ‘red-shirting’ posted here several times by several different posters here and never saw it so simply stated. Without the player becoming incapacitated for medical reason, putting him in for one play of a season disqualifies him for a red-shirt year consideration, period.

I have two questions:
    1. As I understand it the NCAA rule allows a player five years to complete four years of eligibility. Is that affected by your version and how?

2. Does the fact that the NCAA declared Jurkin ineligible for the first nine games make his ‘season’ start on game ’1′ or game ’10′?

3. Can Jurkin still petition for a year’s additional eligibility? Under what circumstances.

Thanks for clarifying. As I said, the question has been raised several times and I’m not sure that it had been made clear that ‘one play’ can determine and end a year’s participation even in the first 20% of the season. Knowing these rules and making them clear to readers helps us a lot.

• TsaoTsuG #36

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:48 PM EDT

Podunker, the NCAA literally describes it as ‘five years to complete four years of eligibility’. So a player can hold out ‘one’ of those five years just ‘because’. I believe he can petition for an additional year (making it six) to ‘complete the ‘four’ for extenuating circumstances (injury) so determined by the NCAA in response to his/her petition. (And, if the University agrees to go forth with his petition).

Look, I agree totally with your tenet (though I agree that the universities have a responsibility to their athletes…i.e. Roth (though I know others may think differently and can defend their position as well as I can mine).

What bothers me (and not about you) is that, frequently, when the question has been asked by a reader, it has been answered in terms of ‘I’m not sure about the rule but I think…’ or ‘I have not read the rule but I think…’ or some such derivation. Given our interest, it seemed to require more precise answers and I believe we had not gotten those. Why was I under the impression that it was 30% and not 20%, a number I had gotten out of a previous exchange? My experience in doing background to reader issues was always ‘research, research, research’.

• TsaoTsuG #37

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 11:00 PM EDT

Chet…yes, I agree. I really don’t think I expected Peter Jurkin to get more than 10 minutes total, if that, this year. The general tone seemed to be someone being taught the rudimentary fundamentals to prepare to begin his career once Cody Zeller, Superstar left (given that any moment we thought he’d be asking for directions to the 6th Avenue and 42nd Street station).

HH…who are you directing your #33 to?

• Podunker #38

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 11:23 PM EDT

Wow, Harvard, what an inappropriate response to this discussion. Looks like you’re off your meds again. You’re so far out of bounds with your comments, I don’t know where to begin.

First of all, I do not “know damn well” what Jurkin can or can’t do. I’ve never see him play! Secondly, it’s absurd for you to say that “there are no transfer options for that young man.” How the hell would you know? You’re saying that a 7′ tall young man, with a year of being coached at IU, has no other schools where he could play basketball? That’s ridiculous. And you’re the one demeaning the young man by implying that he’s a charity case.

Perhaps you don’t realize it, but you’re comments support the reason why my friends asked this question about Jurkin in the first place. If he’s not playing because , as you say, “he can barely dribble a basketball” (your words, not mine, and talk about spreading rumors that can damage a young man’s reputation!), which I DO NOT understand to be the case, then why is a question about his future so far out of bounds?

I did not and have not projected anything. I simply, but regrettably repeated a question.

HforH, I know it’s hard for you, but try to imagine someone spending the time I spend posting mostly positive comments on The Hoosier Scoop in support of IU sports. Could such a person really not love IU and IU sports? And never once, in spite of the volumes of your nasty and negative comments posted here have I ever questioned your love of IU.

I don’t know if it was directed at me or not, but I have never demonized J Pat or Geoff. I have disagreed with them, but I have never posted a comment that was intended to demonize them. Now Debbie might be a different story.

Wow, the irony of that last paragraph is amazing, but mainly it suggests a persecution complex. Well, I’m not persecuting you HforH, but if you can’t handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Talk about a fraud!

• Jeremy Price #39

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 11:37 PM EDT

One correction: you were right on the 30 percent. It was changed from 20 to 30 in 2011.

1. The player has five years (note: five CONSECUTIVE years) to complete four years of eligibility. This is Jurkin’s first year of eligibility. He could still redshirt next year if so desired.

2. Good question. Where this distinction would be important is if Indiana had redshirted Jurkin, would he have had to sit nine games next year? However, if he plays at any point, the season is considered to start with Game 1.

3. As noted above, he could still redshirt another year within his five. He can only apply for a sixth-year of eligibility if medical reasons took away his ability to complete four in five.

• TsaoTsuG #40

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 11:40 PM EDT

Whoaa! I had no idea and been going up and down the string searching for what set HH off.

We’ve disagreed a ton of times Podunker, but you are nothing but fine, fine people and the HH comment totally undeserved.

Your integrity is beyond question! Never change!!

• TsaoTsuG #41

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 11:51 PM EDT

Now I’m really in need for clarification. I thought I had it right at 30% but believed you when you said 20% and that makes one heck of a lot of difference if it is 30% of the season in the first half- if it starts and #10 rather than #1 (which is your interpretation).

I have no idea. I trust what I read by prestigious journalists who assure me they’ve done the research to guarantee their accuracy, particularly when they revise their revision of their interpretation of rules I am assuming they’ve read.

It’s a tough career Jeremy!

• Punjab #42

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 4:48 AM EDT

Podunker: I had zero concern about the intent of your initial question in #8. It was honest, and you shouldn’t at all feel like you should have to defend it. Part of the reason we’re here is to seperate fact from fiction. (Or factualize fiction, or vice versa in some cases…) No need to apologize.

Tsao: Great words. I would just caution that such questions might lead some to speculate that Jurkin is indeed being red shirting. Ahhhh, the rumor mill goes round and round… Fun though it may be…

HH: I believe that Alajuwon and Motumbo both arrived from Africa as soccer players, needing a lot of hand-to-eye coordination drills to become the players they eventually became. Not saying that PJ is the next Hakeem the Dream, but it’s a little too early to dismiss his potential. He may end up being just another goofy seven-footer who can’t catch, dribble, shoot, or walk and chew gum at the same time. But he seems to have a great work ethic and somebody that’s worth investing the time in. Let’s give him a chance.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #43

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 6:17 AM EDT

If the skills are so basic, so rudimentary, so long on the scale of development….then why basketball? Why not track and field? Why not A-Hope for high jumpers? The Olympics are a wonderful thing…Why not A-Hope for gymnasts? Are there not short people in war-torn lands getting murdered and raped? Why not A-Hope for Computer Programmers? Why not A-Hope for Rock Stars?

I’m all for it. Save the tall people of the world through college basketball experiments. Do it at Duke.

Burn me at the stake. There is 1% hope for most youngsters growing up on gang-ridden streets are forgotten inner cities.

We will happily watch these men struggle and create complete catastrophe on the floor for the other four that spent their lives dreaming to play college ball. Take it to Duke. Let Coach K turn Peter Jurkin into Hakeem the Dream. Let him forgo his full investment into building a truly ready team for tournament runs and banners because so much attention is needed to save the world on behalf of Duke basketball.

We are 26 years from our last basketball championship and climbing. We could put 10 families from the Sudan on the IU football team and have two more losses than a typical season. All rudimentary skills(leaping, running, hand/eye coordination)can be honed to fit into any sport. When and why did IU basketball become Mother Teresa’s NBA development camp?

We’ll rip guys to shreds for “disappearing acts” and at the end of the same breath beg for a completely raw 7-footer to get his minutes, be inserted into a top flight Big 10 basketball program, be used as his as if it were his personal junior high school game on steroids….? Sorry, I don’t see that as teaching that young man a damn thing. I see it as un-teaching.

We’re fine with allowing that young man to slow the development of a team for the sake his own chance, a very slim chance, to catch up to speed in four years.

Then let’s start admitting students from inner cities with low SAT scores into our medical programs…Let’s give Ron Patterson another chance and let him catch up to speed academically. Let’s slow the curve down for all that have potential though it may cost the pace of the rest in the classroom.

Why do anonymous donors step up to run a coach out of town that used his position(right or wrong)to buffer and to protect kids that didn’t have skills and preparedness for the classroom to get closer to a dream…?

Sorry, I don’t get it. We demonize those we want to demonize..We scream of 19 F’s! We crucify a kid that from Broad Ripple High at the price of taking baby steps to help a kid from the Sudan…We plead for him to take his junior high game onto a college basketball stage while spitting in the face a kid a bit uncoordinated in the classroom…We’re all in milking that giant into an NBA star, while not having a dime of our time to accept we sold the wrong priorities to the inner city kid that thought putting the ball in the hoop was all that mattered in our shallow desires to just win a game..

Sorry, I want the A-Hope kids to have a great life in America. But if you can’t smell the hypocrisy in what we’ve sold to the young people of this country growing up in inner cities turned to wastelands where their one shot out of drive-by hell resides in a ball going through a net…The hours upon hours they spent on that dream via our thirst for sports, our prizing the top basketball players as gods…And now you throw him on the Buss to let a kid play junior high ball on his stage?

Here’s an idea…Start sending our kids and our finest teachers from upper middle class suburbia into the worst schools in inner cities across America so the forgotten millions can catch up to the game. Sacrifice a few years of our normal pace into elite colleges and elite jobs for the greater good. Maybe they’ll be patient with young Bobby and little Kevin when he’s stumbling on his shoelaces in a pick-up game down at the park..You know, when hoops and your only shot at being viewed as worthy of anything is sold to you by ESPN on a silver platter in a D-Rose commercial for Nike shoes…But you’ve got some damn catching up to do on ducking from gunshots while dunking.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #44

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 6:40 AM EDT

Podunker-

My apologies. Put whomever you desire on the scholly crunch bus so Jurkin can get his junior high minutes on the Big 10 stage. Get him up to pace..Whatever it takes. Have Cody pass up an open shot to dribble up close to Peter and toss him the basketball in slow underhand fashion to ensure he’s ready… “Good, Peter…Very good. Cigar…good…Fire, bad.” I’m in the wrong. In four years we’ll have a Tom Pritchard that can actually jump and Duke will put on a podium for winning three more banners “the right way.”

• Wang Wang #45

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 8:06 AM EDT

I nominate #43 for Hoosier Scoop Post of the Month. There’s a known stage of Harvard where he suddenly pulls the big guns (as if he’s hurt, as if in self-defense) and blows everybody completely out of the water using words as bullets. This is one of those moments.

• Geoff #46

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 8:37 AM EDT

#43 was a hell of a read… Of course , there’s the usual hyperbole (we “beg” for Jurkin to get more minutes… Um no one is doing that) and unfounded insinuations (shipping Buss out of town undeservedly… Yeaaaah, that’s total speculation), but I definitely enjoyed the comparison of A-Hope to our inner city kids and the lengths we’ll go to help them.

As far as Jurkin’s skill set… He is a project at this level, but the kid was very capable HS player. Maybe there is a bit of charity in Crean’s heart, but I think he was more drawn by the fact that a very long and agile 7-footer was able to put up something like 20 & 10 last year for a basketball factory school playing other basketball factory schools. ESPN had him rated as a 3-star (must have been borderline 4-star with his grade of 89 out of a hundred) and the #26 center in the class of 2012… Considering how every time IU signs a kid his recruiting stock drops, that’s a pretty decent feat.

Overall great post for entertainment purposes, though.

• Ron #47

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 8:58 AM EDT

Uhhh. That High School in Illinois. That was having a problem with the state because they had suddenly become good at BB. The one that had 2 or 3 kids from A-Hope.
    They also have 1 or 2 A-Hope kids on the track & field team.

I think I read that the school was making a desperate attempt to improve their computer lab. So you may be on to something Harvard. (Note..I did NOT say you must be ON something.)

• Punjab #48

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 9:37 AM EDT

First of all, Harv, D-Rose slums for Adidas. Let’s get one thing straight!!!

Secondly, spare me the nonsense of all the poor inner city kids who lost their dream because of a seven-foot prospect from a much worse neighborhood. What are the odds of them making a living playing professional ball? How about they take a scholarship from a lesser program, get their degree, and become something of themselves other than basketball? Maybe be a role role model for those who don’t have an 1/8 the opportunity they did? (Same with the kids who grew up on a farm, or in a trailer, or under any circumstance that’s less than optimal.) You know… The shy fat kid with an absentee father and an alcoholic mother? What about his dreams? Sorry son. You can’t dunk on an 8 foot rim. Sorry about your luck.

Coach Crean took a chance on a project– on a young man who seems to have great character and all the personal traits– not to mention physical gifts– of the kind of guy we want to continue to build our program with. Sorry if he needs a softball glove his first year. How deep is our team anyway? Seven? Eight? Nine? Maybe ten if you count Creek? That’s a good thing, but it’s not 12. Somebody’s going to sit. Lot’s of people are going to sit. Even those who arent injured. Are you going going to cry foul about Howard or Marlin working their tails off with no scholarship and no PT? Where’s the justice there? What about those gimps with blown out knees? Let’s dump them off too for a guy with all the skills on the court but not enough heart to make in a high school classroom. Maybe then, we can be just like Kentucky.

• Ron #49

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:12 AM EDT

You guys and the talk about living in a “trailer” Been to Florida recently?

My parents just moved out of a “trailer park”, except we called them “mobile home park”. $125,00 for a new one (yes, the famous double-wide) Time you buy the “trailer” and the land you’re in about $25000.00. Guess some people like the boat docks on the Gulf, the private golf course and the olympic size pool.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #50

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:00 AM EDT

D-Rose..? Wasn’t he an SAT project?

Stands for “Sold All Tickets” to a game in Tennessee coached by a ‘scumbag’ that turns the other cheek for inner city kids cheated out of good schools and teachers? And you know what..? Nobody cares now. Adidas doesn’t care. Tsao will scream in joyous cheer for the Bulls when he comes back to lead the Bulls to their next NBA Finals…

It’s all a machine where no program should have to live up to Mother Teresa because the rules are never applied justly no matter the side of the fence you’re defending the world from. And nobody should have cared when Ron Patterson wasn’t quite ready…Because, by God, he was ready to play basketball a hell of a lot more than someone that cheated on their ‘Basic Basketball Fundamentals Entrance Exam’ taking his damn promised chair. Cheating is cheating. You cheat the fundamentals it once took to enter the Assembly Hall grounds to play basketball at Indiana…You cheat with same turning the cheek the 100% certainty in the belief a recruit can make the grade in the classroom..

Unless you’re turning off watching the Bulls and wearing anything made in an Adidas labor camp in China(the dumb unlucky souls that don’t make it to Harvard), we all share in the hypocrisy.

First and foremost…When you come to Indiana to play basketball, don’t cheat yourself or the tradition by not being ready. We wouldn’t do that to a Harvard classroom for robber barons that buried Wall Street. They ain’t trying to be Ron Patterson’s Algebra tutoring Robin Hood for the “hope” of the ‘hood.’

• Harvard for Hillbillies #51

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:21 AM EDT

Just caught some footage of Crean’s recent DC recruiting trip. Good stuff.

• Ben #52

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:23 AM EDT

Pun,

Our program is far enough along, where won’t don’t need projects anymore. This isn’t 2008-2010. I say that out of respect, not sarcastic

• Chet #53

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:27 AM EDT

OK, first of all, anyone whining the a poverty stricken inner city kid isn’t being given a chance to go to college OBVIOUSLY has never sent kids to college and is completely unfamiliar with how collegiate financial aid works.

IF, you are academically eligible for a given school AND you have no financial resources whatsoever to attend said school, then your ENTIRE COST OF ATTENDANCE will be paid by said financial institution and/or other sources of financial aid.

That is EXACTLY how it works. If you have lots of money, paying for school is not a problem. If you have no money, paying for school should not be a problem (certainly it will be tougher than having lots of money). If you are in the middle class, paying for school is a problem.

One year I had 3 kids in college at the same time. My wife and I, combined, make in the low six figures. The college board determined that our OUT OF POCKET allowance for our three kids would be $65,000/annually.

That was about what we brought home after taxes and deductions.

You know all those stories about the amazing endowments that Ivy League schools have and if you make under, let’s say $150,000 a year, they pick up the entire tab? They are lies.

My daughter’s first three years at Cornell set us back about $130,000. Had we been destitute we’d have paid nothing.

Any kid that can make themselves academically eligible can go to school no matter how poor they are. If you have nothing you can graduate debt free. As for middle class folks like us, we owe about a quarter of a million dollars.

THAT is reality.

• Chet #54

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:38 AM EDT

That could also lead to a commentary regarding non-revenue sports and the Ivy League as all three of my kids were D1 athletes.

For you younger parents out there with a kid that seems to be a great athlete. If people comment that, with their skills, you’ll never have to pay for college I offer this…don’t count on it.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #55

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:14 PM EDT

• Harvard for Hillbillies #56

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:19 PM EDT

Ben-

I think we were in a “Buy one Cody, get one Austin and TWO projects FREE!” sort of a bind back then. It was a great deal..Four scholarships for the price of one hell of a player. Gotta do what you gotta do. That never ends in the world of college basketball…

Buy ONE “Zero Tolerance”…get on dinosaur and offspring FIRED for FREE!

• Chet #57

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:30 PM EDT

If any of you guys remember Mike Flynn (Mr. Basketball 1971, 3 year starting PG for Kaintuck), he had an older brother, Steve. Steve was a decent player. Probably strong DII kind of guy.

Tennessee signed him. There wasn’t a soul familiar with the Jeffersonville basketball team that didn’t know that it was a ploy to get Mike.

• Chet #58

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:43 PM EDT

Harvard,
    Not asking for sympathy. I’m pretty good with money and I could never work another day and probably squeak by. Lots of irons in the fire, so to speak. My kids are educated (mostly) and we can manage the debt.

My point is simply this, the whole argument that an inner city kid with no money is being kept from going to college because a seven-footer from the Sudan got a basketball scholarship simply doesn’t hold water. We have a system that is set up so that a kid with nothing can go to college and it’s actually tougher for MANY middle class kids to advance their education. Good for us. That poor kid has already had his/her share of disadvantages. It’s far from a perfect system but poor kids should certainly get to go to college.

I know college financial aid better than most people know their own drivers license. NOBODY but themselves is keeping them from going to college. Certainly not because of money. Whenever I hear of someone not getting to go to college because they have no money I know they haven’t even tried.

• Chet #59

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:48 PM EDT

So, is Hanner considered a ‘project’ now? A year ago he was the second coming of Elvin Hayes.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #60

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 1:41 PM EDT

Chet-

It’s all good. Some appreciated it..Some don’t. I know you’re not looking for sympathy. You don’t need any because you’ve been a responsible man of the highest integrity. But no coach is forced to honor your “system” that you live fairly live by…that you believe denies few.

What doesn’t hold water in my meds cabinet tulip field brain is how were being convinced that coming to one of most storied basketball programs in the nation and being this fundamentally prepared is just fine. Cheating is cheating. I have no problem with A-Hope sending five projects, grossly lacking in skills to compete at the highest D-1 level to Duke and UNC every three years. Best developmental coaches in the land down there. Be best for the projects…Link them up and leave the “hope” of their limelight and success out of Hoosier cookie jar of hoops talent..They’ve had plenty of practice with premier centers while they drink with their straw four out of every five premier post players from Indiana into their programs. ‘Bout time the pointed their straw at Mark Adams for the price a true, ready for battle, top Hoosier talent. Send Tom Izzo a straw too. He’s another good friend of Crean…Link him up with Adams..Pay it forward. Spread these A-Hope guys out…We shouldn’t be so conceited in believing we are the only school best equipped to turn projects into top Division 1 talent that can carry teams to championships. We haven’t had very many superb post players the past 10 years..We could be doing some of these “project” bigs a disservice…Top post play likely attracts top post player coaches. Coach K and Coach Williams may be more equipped with the proper teams and inside play developmental staff that could truly give these young men way behind the skill curve a realistic shot to get up to speed in four years…I mean, don’t we here many on the blog claiming Cody is getting softer and at times appearing to digress? A kid with that much skill digressing? How on earth will our coaching staff send a A-Hope project to the NBA moon?

If Cody ain’t gettin’ it….? Get my drift? Maybe Jurkin needs to bump with Miles Plumlee.

Love ya, Chet. Isn’t that a lovely basketball court in my provided link?

• Harvard for Hillbillies #61

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 1:47 PM EDT

oops..how [we're] being convinced…blah..blah..blah

I’m done here…Know it’s just overkill. Geoff’s words rewards bestowed upon my heart have once again been spoiled by those that could not rest upon such hideousness.

Harvard admitting to overkill is uber-obnoxious.

• Hoosier Clarion #62

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 1:54 PM EDT

Chet,

Wish to compliment you for articulating so well the college dream from the rich to the destitute. My bride and I so resemble many of your remarks about educating our children. There are many ways to reach the goal of a sheepskin or training in a craft. For the middle class most involve debt, Mom & Dad’s and the graduate. We thought we had saved enough with a plan early on, boy what an awakening. I’ll never retire but w/o the debt for educating the kids I would be able to think more peaceable about it.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #63

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 1:57 PM EDT

Dang Dang(not to be confused with Luol Deng), I forgot to thank Wang Wang…

Thank you too, Wang Wang. Geoff was probably just jumping on the Wagon Wagon. Then when it gets ugly, he hide hide.

I am Harvard for Hillbillies.

• Chet #64

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 2:10 PM EDT

We thought we had more than enough to pay for college. All it meant was there was no way we’d ever see any financial aid.

• Hoosier Clarion #65

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 2:42 PM EDT

Again, the resemblance, is like looking in the mirror.

• Podunker #66

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 3:18 PM EDT

Chet, thank you for your post #53. Excellent. I’m sure your children appreciate the effort and sacrifice you and your wife made to give them the opportunity for an education. And I’m sure that when the time comes, they will do the same for their children.

• TsaoTsuG #67

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 5:20 PM EDT

Punjab, re your #42, in the case of Hanner and Jurkin, I have very little doubt that they can walk and chew gum at the same time, since being soccer players their small foot-mucle development, balance and foot quickness with their head up is much better than most Americans. My concern is whether they have enough eye-hand coordination (as you suggest) to be able to pop the gum in their mouths without dropping it on the floor first (sort of like coach Crean on national tv two weeks ago or so).

• Podonke-donk-kedonk-kedonk! #68

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 5:31 PM EDT

Podonker thank you for being this blog’s clown.

• Ron #69

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 5:57 PM EDT

Some guy somewhere is now working on a statistical analysis program to monitor and rank Div 1 players on Gum utilization and mastication. Both on the offensive and defensive. Quality mastication, aggression demonstrated and the numbers of either expelling or swallowing the gum, per game will be analysed. Inhalation of gum will lead to negative numbers for the player. Players will not be allowed to share gum.

I think IU may have a top 5 player…..Elston will lead in the aggressive mastication catagory.

(Thanks TTG)

• TsaoTsuG #70

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 6:53 PM EDT

Chet, completely agree with your post.

At a meeting of the Board of Ed in the same city that HH claims had the forgotten victims that are too paralyzed to go to class, or establish a need for additional ‘substantial’ income by trading in scarce ‘resources’ and should be given a chance.

The discussion in the Executive Committee of the Board was as to how to establish a pre-K program deemed critical for the development of children ‘at risk’. We quickly discovered that two populations had little need: the very rich could afford to send theirs to a variety of programs in the Lincoln Park, North Loop and South Loop, the lakefront where incomes were high enough that they could absorb ANY cost without much help.

The, there was the bottom 20-30% or so. We had whatever assistance was necessary and had established outstanding pre-k and kindergarten programs through federal funds available for this population, had literally dozens to hundreds of Head Start programs that provided from 2-3 meals per day to tricycles (should see it, the neatly parked tricycles outside each classroom; the nursery rooms for the babies in schools that had girls enrolled who were young mothers and we had to provide the services to their children while also teaching them- by either federal, state or Board mandate- parenting skills to reduce the likelihood that the babies would repeat the cycle as well).

As we went around the room and discussed it , we quickly realized that where we had a problem was in opening up access and funding for pre-K and kindergarten programs for families who made more than $45,000 and less than $100,000, ironically, even our own teachers and their families. They were too ‘well-off’ to get any federal help or access to programs like Head Start. And, at their income (sound familiar Chet?) too well-off to get any assistance). And, because federal assistance is like a gold bond, operators focused the programs- especially the better equipped, supplied and staffed ones- on either high cost private-elite programs or aid-dependent populations where risking every day problems like a bounced check, late payments or ‘urgency shortage needs’ (quick emergency grants) came up with some regularity.

Not in my experience of 10+ years in the very place you use as a site. Did it ever happen? Sure! But, generally,iIf someone was living in a car it was for reasons other than the society or tax-payers not caring; the funds being unavailable, etc. It may make for bad poetry or fiction HH, but sometimes the answer is much simpler than melancholic romantics would like to believe.

Sometimes you have to make yourself reach goals and achieve, but it starts just like Groundhog Day, nothing changes until you recognize that what is wrong is internal. And you forcefully move the clock ahead.

So spare me Patterson, spare me the saga of D-Rose (though in an odd way he confronted the scenario you assign him: he sent a professional someone to take the SAT in his place to get him into Memphis); or the 2-3 that were cleared out of the Hoosier team at the end of the Sampson era and were fairly entrepreneurial in finding themselves a way to remain economically acttive while on scholarship and still failing most if not all of their classes. Spare me the preaching, I can assure you I can find 3-4 individuals much more deserving of help than these in the very same neighborhood they came from. They were who they were and no one; least of all the great kids on great programs like the Groups Program at IU, mostly funded by all of us you blame, needs to be confused with them. (BTW, in case you didn’t know, the great woman who ran that program- Dr. Janice Wiggins- who literally opened the planet for those from urban areas like Gary, Each Chicago, Hammond, Indianapolis, Anderson, Jeffersonville…,etc just retired from IU. Want to see more, follow the saga of George Taliaferro at IU, an athlete who got there in the late 40′s and grew into one of its most successful citizens and spent the rest of his life making himself useful to the very same kids in Bloomington.

HH, in all sincerity, you are confusing your own experiences, personal frustrations and disappointments and generalizing them in a constant single-lyrics song that is often tolerated more than it is heard or believed.

Sure, there are problems in our society. Gangs in the streets, violence as a constant environment in mostly urban, often minority neighborhoods. There’s also too many mass-massacres using easily available war armament among white middle-class Americans. But we have no chance of solving any of it if we keep constantly pounding our chests bemoaning our ‘tragic destinies’ and the injustice of paralysis in our life.

Do something other than cry HH! Try to solve something!

• TsaoTsuG #71

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 7:03 PM EDT

Sorry, Chet, HH others following.. this paragraph is confusing:

“And, because federal assistance is like a gold bond, operators focused the programs- especially the better equipped, supplied and staffed ones- on either high cost private-elite programs or aid-dependent populations where risking every day problems like a bounced check, late payments or ‘urgency shortage needs’ (quick emergency grants) came up with some regularity.”

INSTEAD IT SHOULD READ:

And, because federal assistance is like a gold bond, operators focused the programs- especially the better equipped, supplied and staffed ones- on either high cost private-elite programs or aid-dependent populations that EITHER HAVE THE RESOURCES OR CAN GET THEM FROM GOVERNMENT TAX-PAYER FUNDED RESOURCES, the problem in finding available open seats was in the middle income groups (from $40,000 and up) income families where risking every day problems like a bounced check, late payments or ‘urgency shortage needs’ (quick emergency grants) came up with some regularity. Operators follow the “GUARANTEED MONEY” (either through high incomes or low income, government supported and guaranteed sectors).

• Podunker #72

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 7:18 PM EDT

Coming from you, #68 is a badge of honor.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #73

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 7:51 PM EDT

The Crying Game

The crying began with crying for minutes…Much like the crying that began to fire coach Lynch. You never stop demonizing kids you never filled the same shoes. Crying, crying, and more crying what they did to the sanctity of your precious and flawless program you endlessly cry Bobby painted as portrait of you…You can cry it, but you ain’t the morning, you ain’t the sun, and you ain’t the Knight.

I don’t give a crap what sewer your old man crawled out of to build your glorious castle in America that you believe entitles you to talk from higher ground. Cry some more over JPat for not living up to anything the temple you cut and lay every stone as evidence abound your own unquestionable character.

No warrior survived the conscience of his own soul crying for the headlines his own glory march before the benefactors cry on his behalf.

Go cry some more wind into the hot air balloon elevating your ego to a stratosphere that cuts humble oxygen from your brain crying for something other than your own air.

Cry out every name you ever name-drop on here Cry it into your own fat clouds building the self taking up the entire atmosphere of the blogosphere.

Everybody cries to empty hearts something not their own tears for the sound upon thy own manufactured ears. So, cry, cry your own ass to sleep to the size a pillow you cry not fluffy enough your crown…I shall cry for that not gold to truth its rust.. For your maker shall soon shrink back to size every single cell turned to dust, as I, the louse, and the monster of a mouse living behind your wall, bid to you a final “good for you,” last trumpet call.

• Ron #74

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 7:58 PM EDT

Anybody watch the game last night where (per Yahoo sports) Knight had difficulty identifying the game clock/ shot clock..?

• Chet #75

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 8:28 PM EDT

• Chet #76

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 8:39 PM EDT

It all seems a little abstract until you’re borrowing the money or writing a check. My daughter draws people like moths (plus she likes to cook) so I’ve gotten to know tons of the athletes at Cornell.

There’s a great young man on the basketball team from an underprivileged home in Indy. Now, Cornell doesn’t give athletic scholarships. That being said, when these two young people start their post college days the young man from Indy will be debt free and my daughter (and her middle class co-signor) will be $100,000 in debt. That’s half what it has cost us.

What kind of sense does that make?

• TsaoTsuG #77

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 9:47 PM EDT

not one bit….none.

• Geoff #78

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 9:59 AM EDT

I love me some Bobby Knight… I understand his flaws and don’t defend them… Sometimes I enjoy his insights. There are other times where he is the only person in the world that has a clue what he’s talking about…. And then there are a few times when what he is saying goes against any common sense whatsoever (not in a only-the-genius-understands way either).

Mostly his commentator breakdown of late, close game, clock management has always made no sense to anyone I know whose basketball opinion I respect. After watching this maybe I understand why he makes no sense.

But then he reels you back in with nuggets no one else gives you like… “Dumb loses more games than smart wins”

So true Bobby. Oh, and you were right about Cal being slime, even of we can’t prove he cheated.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football

• Jeremy Price:

Jerry Memring. That's the former player that we brain-dead journalists [...]

• t:

Braxton miller not playing. Osu uses 4 qb's in one drive. Iu qb's tr [...]

• t:

Totally agree. I would think he is confident in his abilities. Besi [...]

• Omega:

Was I the only one that thought coach seemed a little grumpy and imper [...]

• DCdave:

If he is confident in his abilities he is gone. Last week his family [...]

• Ron: