Hoosier Morning

1. HOOSIERS HQ
First place in the Big Ten is on the line when Indiana and Wisconsin square off at Assembly Hall, with tempo key to the outcome, Dustin writes.

A look at the lineups and matchups for the Hoosiers and Badgers, from Dustin.

Eriq Zavaleta, Luis Soffner (with Salty the Sea Lion) and Todd Yeagley are capping off the MLS Combine today in Fort Lauderdale, I wrote.

The IU women’s basketball team is hoping a weekend bye gets them healthy for Thursday’s game at Ohio State, I wrote.

2. IT’S INDIANA
A much-improved Wisconsin defense will be tested by the nation’s top scoring team in Indiana, Jim Polzin of the Wisconsin State Journal writes.

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh, Tom Crean’s brother-in-law, channeled his disappointment last year into the Hoosiers, and now has a shot at redemption vs. the Patriots, Les Carpenter of Yahoo!Sports.com writes.

IU soccer’s Eriq Zavaleta is eager and ready to pick a position in the pros, Simon Borg of MLSsoccer.com writes.

3. BIG TEN COUNTRY
Slumping Illinois isn’t ready to hit the panic button … yet, Steve Porter of the Alton Telegraph writes.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
To celebrate tonight’s big game, I dug into the progressive rock archives for this gem by Badger. From the album One Live Badger, here’s “On My Way Home.”

• Laffy says:

Where are all the whiners saying, “Louisville is over-rated”?

They destroyed UConn on the road last night…..and UConn is no slouch as they won at Notre Dame, which has been playing well.

If they are “over-rated”, what do you call us blowing a 23 point lead at home?

• J Pat says:

Laffy, I watched the entire game and Uconn played so much better than them the first half it was not even funny…I was not impressed with Louisville at all. Louisville came out in the 2nd half and played with more intensity and that is what won the game…I would not say they destroyed Uconn…just my opinion. In my most objective way looking at it, I think Indiana is a better team than Louisville right now just by the eye test. I think Michigan and Duke are better than Louisville right now…again, just my opinion. I too hope we run Wisconsin off the court tonight. Take care.

• Laffy says:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Indiana fans are “objective” when they completely over-look us getting our butts kicked and other teams are “over-rated” when they win BIG on the road.

Thanks for the chuckle.

GO HOOSIERS!!!

• Chet says:

Oh JPat, you took the bait.

Let this be a lesson.

• J Pat says:

Chet, I figured as much but I have watched Louisville play a couple games from start to finsih and they just don’t play defense like a great team should. I think IU is improving with Yogi and Hanner getting better every game and Louisville has one freshman that plays in harrell and I am not sure he gets better every game. I guess I think they have peaked a little while I think IU will improve with every game. I also don’t think Louisville can handle us in the post…you better believe Zeller will be ready come time for the Tourney.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

So right J Pat about the UConn/L’ville game. They wanted it more. UConn either at home or away is no Minnesota. But L’ville being in 1st does not offer any impediment to IU’s fortunes. Kinda cool the CBB epicenter is located between the Ohio River and Monroe County Indiana.

“Might”, “possibly” be in BTown February 16. A couple of stars have to align but hopeful. If it happens it will be with or without tickets.

• Laffy says:

What is this “bait” thing Chet keeps crying about?

Please don’t tell me he thinks it’s “bait” to say our team isn’t perfect and we should only blow sunshine up their butts.

Yawn.

J Pat, I’ve watched most of our games and MY “eye test” tells me we aren’t NEARLY as good as the “real” fans keep saying.

And if IU was “improving every game”, we wouldn’t be blowing 23 point leads….at home.

• J Pat says:

Laffy, I think we will know a lot more at the end of this month!

• J Pat says:

Clarion, I would make every effort to meet at Nick’s or Yogi’s to grab a beer…let me know!!

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Wouldn’t it be fun to pull a Big 10 coach from his respective team and, for just one game during the year, allow him to coach another Big 10 team?

What a treat that would be for players to just get a different feel to how another coach would approach talent on the roster vs. style of play.

With so much technology packed into so many small devices today(phones with sophisticated cameras, etc), do you wonder if a lot of unscrupulous activity is going on when a team goes on the road and into opposing gyms to practice?

When Dustin and Jeremy were in Assembly Hall yesterday, subsequently kicked out because the Badgers were coming into to prepare, it made me think of how simple it would be to just leave a device propped up somewhere to film the Badger’s practice. The device could send the live practice session directly to one of our coach’s phones..What would be the penalties from the NCAA if caught filming the visiting team’s practice/preparation? Our custodians allowed in arenas during closed practices? Ticket office personnel? Delivery people bringing in goods for the concession stands? They threw Dustin and Jeremy out during their filming of ScoopTalk..Why on earth they were trying to do it from some obscure corner in Assembly Hall is beyond me. Did they get kicked out of HT offices too? So am I to assume that the AH bouncers completely emptied all of Assembly Hall? Do they check the balconies? Do they check behind every corner? Do they check the vent systems? Hmmm? Do the bouncers have i-phones?

Please explain how any practice is can be remotely secured its privacy.

• psych says:

Laffy,

As annoying as it may be for you to read some fans saying IU is greatest, bestest, awesomest basketball team on the planet, it is equally annoying for a lot of us to read your rants reminding us that this team clearly sucks or is overrated because they have one loss to a CLEARLY improving Butler team. IU is clearly somewhere in between the greatest team ever and the awful team you purport them to be. Hopefully they’re improving. I am tempted to go over to the Ohio State message boards to see if you are telling them how much their team sucks after blowing a 22 point lead at home to Michigan to win by 3. How hard is it for you to enjoy the ride?

• J Pat says:

psych, nice!!

I just got this from a friend and I think he got it from Peegs but not sure…

A key stat Crean mentioned, over the past two years (52 games in which IU is 42-10), Indiana leads the nation in field goal percentage, 3-point field goal percentage and free throw percentage.

Wonder if L’ville is close to that stat??

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I have to actually agree with the Laffy “eye test.” I’ve watched enough of the other top teams in the nation..We are overrated.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Harvard…that would not be fair play. This is NCAA competition and they (the authorities [you know who that is]) count on our sense of honor and sportsmanship.

• Chet says:

Harvard,
    Back in my competitive martial arts days I always took every opportunity to learn from different instructors. It was very interesting how an instructor in the same discipline, perhaps even using the same curriculum from a specific governing body, would focus on the importance of entirely different areas.

I always learned a lot when I’d study under someone different.

• TsaoTsuG says:

I have a question for JPat: In your objective observation of IU and Louisville, Pitino vs Crean and your take on a possible confrontation..; either one of them (Crean and/or Pitino)as good a coach as your ‘eyeball’ description of Coach Felisha Legette-Jack? (of course, as a coach- we all know she was a tremendous person).

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

^That “eye test” in post #13 actually only happens during the viewing Duke games.

Cause? I’m attempting to see around the NCAA’s reasoning behind nine game suspensions for $185 donated to Indiana‚Äôs Varsity Club sometime between the Civil War and Knight’s belly being noticeably fatter, but a $100,000 diamond purchase by a star Duke player(a starter from the 2010 championship team) during a weekend road game in the Big Apple in December ’09 doesn’t catch the eye.

It’s called the NCAA eye test. I have a feeling AP voters are nearly as objective.

• Laffy says:

Psych–

Never said this team “clearly sucks” so if that is annoying you, you must be reading somebody’s else’s posts or have screwed up eyes that show you different letters.

And only complete idiots only look at “one loss” as a gauge if the team is good or not.

And it’s not just the loss to Butler, but HOW we lost to them.

Sure is odd how all your “trained eyes” will completely dissect every other team in the country but all you guys do for OUR team is look if we won or not.

LOL!!

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

But how does a loss in December serve as a gauge to how you’ll play in March?

How did a loss on the road against lowly Nebraska on January 18, 2012(the third loss in a row) indicate how we would get to a Sweet 16 in March?

We could play like kings throughout the entire year and trip on our shoelaces in the opening round. I would much rather have the dose of reality now and then. We all want the team to bring it every night. Even the greatest teams to ever wear the cream and crimson didn’t bring it every night. Even with rosters packed to the hilt with talent, there will always be nights that a lid appears to cover only your goal or, heaven forbid, your opponent wants it just a little more. There are so many variables…Maybe your star player is under the weather..Maybe a key bench player is injured. You fight through the variables and fight your way through them. There are no guarantees..Too much parity..Too much talent in D-1 basketball. That’s why there hasn’t been an undefeated team since the ’76 Hoosiers. For 37 years, even the strongest teams to ever appear before our brilliant “eye tests” have found a way to drop the ball from a season measured as perfection. But was it really perfect, anyway?

I understand where Laffy is coming from..You just can’t learn from the losses. When you’re a talent-rich team, you better damn learn from your victories as well. If you get overly adsorbed in the ego inflation of nearly flawless records and rankings, rest on your laurels, you can potentially be setting your self up to be bit in the butt come tournament time… I don’t think this is this team. I think they’ll stay motivated to improve and push with everything in their being to get to the final prize.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

We are not the “76” team but we are not the underachievers as Laffed-At professes. But IU is at its greatest in about 2 decades. Anyone who thinks we are 23 points better than Minny has no perception to their eye test.

• Laffy says:

Sure is funny how you clowns keep crying you want me to “be civil” and stop the name-calling when idiots like HC keep calling me “Laffed-At” and no one rips him for it.

And I’ll say it again: I love how you “experts” will examine every other team with a magnifying glass and look at every single little flaw they have so you can call them “over-rated” but is someone looks at our own team with the same “Eagle Eye”, you whine non-stop about “nitpicking” and are “tired of hearing it.”

LOL!!

Priceless.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Dustin-

I would like to make one small request…On one future ScoopTalk session, could you lead in with highlights of Oladipo while this tune plays?

Get some techno gurus to sit down with you for an hour…We’ve had no Remy Remix. We’ve had no Pipeline tunes…Get it done. We have a top team in the nation. You need to bring your A-game(not your Lawrence Welk depressing locked in a PSU cloakroom or an Assembly Hall concession stand) as well. …Just sayin’

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Gotta go find some grub..I think I’ll make a chicken with peanut stir fry tonight. …add some minced ginger root, some slithered snow peas atop, and a few sectioned dried hot chili peppers(blacken them in the hot peanut oil). Serve with a high quality sushi-style white rice..Yum.

Go Hoosiers!

IU 88
    Wisconsin 76

• Chet says:

He just wants to provoke emotional responses with his acidic posts. The more rabid and/or defensive the better.

It’s all about what he can elicit as a response.

• Chet says:

Obviously, I wasn’t talking about Harvard.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?

• Steve W.:

Another interesting tidbit on Amber Deane is that she helped her Dayto [...]

• Ron:

Heck of a showing for IU. Per Indy Star, "Hoosiers would have ranked [...]

• Rico Chet:

Yes sir. [...]

• t:

One thing that has most notably improved as KW stated he wanted to do [...]

• t:

I agree with you. I was making an observation so many many many seaso [...]

• vesuvius13:

t, this is the time of the season for all fans to dream of how good t [...]

• Jeremy Price: