IU uses 3′s, defense to hammer Penn State, 72-49

WHAT HAPPENED: For the second time in three weeks, Indiana beat Penn State by exactly 23 points. The No. 7 Hoosiers won 72-49 in front of 17,472 at Assembly Hall, holding an opponent under 50 points for the first time since beating Sam Houston State 99-45 on Nov. 15.

The Hoosiers opened the game with a 7-0 run, led 33-19 at halftime and got an 8-0 run to start the second half that effectively buried Penn State, getting 3-pointers from point guards Yogi Ferrell and Jordan Hulls and a layup by junior guard Victor Oladipo in the first 1:05 of the second half. They led 41-19 with 18:55 to go in the second half and never led by fewer than 17 points the rest of the way. The lead spiked at 25.

WHO MADE IT HAPPEN: Junior guard Victor Oladipo had 19 points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals and knocked down two 3-pointers. Oladipo’s outside shot was not long ago considered the weakest part of his game, but he’s now hit 12 of his last 14 from beyond the arc since Dec. 15.

Freshman point guard Yogi Ferrell had the best shooting night of his career. He finished with a career-high 15 points on 6-for-7 shooting. That included a 3-for-4 night from beyond the arc. He came into the game shooting 8-for-33 from 3 for the season.

Junior swingman Will Sheehey broke out of a mini-slump as well with 12 points, including three 3-pointers. He drilled back-to-back 3′s in the first half that gave Indiana a double-digit lead in this one for good and smashed up the Penn State zone.

Senior forward Christian Watford added 10 points and senior guard Jordan Hulls had eight, including a pair of 3-pointers. All of that made up for just two points from preseason All-American Cody Zeller, who the Nittany Lions based almost their entire defensive scheme around stopping.

WHY DID IT HAPPEN: The Nittany Lions spent almost the entirety of the game in a 2-3 zone designed to pack the paint to keep Zeller from getting the ball. That mostly worked. The Nittany Lions were also cognizant of Hulls and Watford, who came into the game ranked first and third respectively in 3-pointers made. They made sure that just about all of the looks those two had were contested.

However, that meant Ferrell, Oladipo and Sheehey got open looks and they took full advantage of those. The Hoosiers got good dribble penetration and ball reversal. They got the ball into the lane and they got it back out, and they made 11 of 20 3-pointers and also went to the line 37 times. They only made 21 of those 37, which is a concern, but the fact that they were drawing so much contact and spending so much time at the charity stripe is a good sign for the Hoosiers.

Defensively, the Hoosiers were nearly as good as they were the last time they played Penn State. Ferrell, and Oladipo did a good job of making life difficult on sophomore point guard D.J. Newbill, attacking his right hand and forcing him to try to go to his left. Newbill finished with 18 points, but he needed 17 shots to get there and also committed eight turnovers. Junior guard Jermaine Marshall managed 12 points, but he was the only other Penn State player in double figures. The Nittany Lions shot 33.3 percent from the field (17-for-51) and just 2-for-15 from beyond the 3-point arc while turning the ball over 18 times. The Nittany Lions only had five assists against those 18 turnovers.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN: The Hoosiers were favored big over the Nittany Lions, who fall to 0-7 in conference play with this loss, so in some respects, Indiana did nothing more than beat up on one of the most overmatched teams in the conference, a group that is still dealing with the loss of its best player, Tim Frazier. Still, it’s good to avoid a toe-stubbing, and the win is a confidence builder for a number of reasons, especially on an individual level.

It was a huge game for Yogi Ferrell, who was shooting just 34.9 percent from the field and 24.2 percent from the arc coming into the game. The progress in his jump shot has been slow but steady, and he now seems to at least be the above average shooter he was at Park Tudor. His mid-range pull-up game has become a legitimate weapon in recent weeks, and its been critical for him to see a few 3-pointers go down to give him confidence. On the flip side, it also lets opponents know thaey have to defend him that far out, and that might make it easier to blow by overly eager defenders on the dribble-drive.

Will Sheehey might not be a man prone to self doubt — and he certainly wouldn’t say if he was — but it was still helpful for him to see some shots go down while also playing like his energetic self. His performance against Northwestern was mostly strong, but this one was much closer to vintage Sheehey, and that was helpful to the Hoosiers as well.

Strong defensive efforts always help, but it was also big for Indiana to put together two solid halves of basketball, even against an overmatched opponent. They had only “won” the second half once in Big Ten play, and even that half at Penn State was downright hideous on both sides. This performance was much closer to complete, and it sends IU into Sunday’s critical matchup with Michigan State with a strong feeling about itself.

WHO SAID WHAT:

Tom Crean

“The thing that I look at with our team is that they are really trying to put themselves in a place where they can hang their hat on the defensive end, and we’re getting there. The other day we told them that there are two teams in the country in the top 10 in field goal percentage defense and field goal percentage offense, and we’re one of them. We want to stay in that position. Right now, the biggest thing we can work on is making sure that we are getting better as individual defenders, collective defenders, that our rebounding continues to improve, and that we keep turning defense into offense. … The bottom line is that you’ve got to be able to defend. I think that tonight with 64 deflections, holding them to 13 percent from the three, 33 percent from the field, we had three guys with double-figure deflections with Cody, Victor and Jordan and Will had nine. Those are good things, those are really good things for us.”

“We’re trying to integrate a lot of different guys into the lineup at different times. Its easier said than done That’s why I know that we are going to keep getting better, because eventually some of those things are going to click.”

On getting so much 3-point production from Ferrell, Oladipo and Sheehey:

“I think it’s big. It will never be a one-on-one game for Cody in the post. They’re always going to build around stopping him, but it allows him more freedom, a little more movement. He can go to the rim quicker. There’s no doubt he can catch it a little deeper and not wait for the cutter to come through, and that’s something he’s gotta continue to get better at, but the ball moved. The ball moved at a really high level. It reversed. Sometimes for us, just one reversal is really good. Two and three is unbelievable. But when it’s moving even to that second side and not staying on the first side, it gives these guys space and time and they can drive the ball. But again, they just work so hard on their shooting, I think we’ll continue to get better there.”

On the bench

“I wanted to get Maurice in. Maurice has still not had a full practices, but he’s practiced longer. … I thought he did a nice job. I think the big thing now is that he’s gotta be come for us one of those shot makers. We know that he can do it. He stayed on the court tonight because he defended and he had really good energy. And he didn’t let a miss here or there affect him, and that’s crucial, but we’re also going to need him to make shots for us.”

On Sheehey:

“I think that’s who Will is. I think that’s what Will brings. I think that’s his game. I think his energy and his passion. He was very, very good defensively. I thought he was extremely good on Sunday at Northwestern even though it wasn’t a box score good necessarily, but it was a very, very strong game from him. He’s one of our best players. He really is. He’s an excellent shooter. He reads the game well, and that’s how he played tonight.”

Yogi Ferrell

On his shooting evolution:

“I was just getting in the gym. Especially with these guys Vic and Will (Sheehey), they have tremendous work ethic. They’ll pull me along with them to get extra shots up. That’s what we’re always doing after practice.”

Victor Oladipo

On Yogi Ferrell

“He can shoot. “It was all in his head at first, but he’s finally realizing that he can shoot the ball. A lot of the players were just coming off and they were just leaving him. I’m not just going to not kick to him and he knows that. He gets ready to shoot and it’s very hard for him to miss when he gets going and the confidence gets going and it all pours in after that.”

Will Sheehey

On Defense

“Points don’t win games, it’s your defensive effort,” Sheehey said. “When you talk and are active on defense, that’s what propels winning. I think we did a fantastic job tonight. … When you play defense, when you talk, when you have a complete defensive effort, you’re not going to lose.”

On shots not falling in recent games

“I never think about that kind of stuff as long as I’m playing hard on the defensive end.If you ever see me not playing hard on the defensive end, that’s when you know something is wrong and it’s never going to happen. The offense will come. The ball finds movement. The ball finds activity, so if you just keep moving these guys will find me. I’m not worried about it.”

AUDIO: Victor Oladipo, Yogi Ferrell, WIll Sheehey

AUDIO: Tom Crean

• Laffy #1

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:45 AM EDT

I didn’t get to watch the game, and I know everyone is waiting with baited breath for my opinion (LOL!!!….plus, what does that even mean), but I have to give the team props….even if it was beating up on the worst team in teh Big Ten at home.

Man, I can’t believe how so many top teams are getting their butts kicked lately. Minny lost bad at Northwestern? Wow.

Are there are GOOD teams this year?

We say The Dance is going to be wild every year, but this year looks like a TOTAL crap shoot.

If we play our best, no one will beat us.

• Debbie #2

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 2:31 PM EDT

Why with a 1:30 left in the game and us up 23 is Vic still in the game? When they called the charge and he hit the floor hard, we could have lost a valuable player during mop up time. C’mon now. Put Perea and Jurkin in so maybe, just maybe, they could do something in the box score this season. Or put in walk ons. Playing 2 starters up by 23 with a minute to go is classless. Handshake at end of the game was swift between coaches. Not as swift as the Bo Ryan shake, but swift.

• J Pat #3

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 2:35 PM EDT

Laffy, I tried to tell you these teams, especially L’ville were overrated and beatable and you gave me shat!

• Podunker #4

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 2:48 PM EDT

Debbie is one of those women that can never be satisfied. Even after a huge blow-out win against a conference opponent, she digs really deep and comes up with a way to criticize Crean. Can you imagine the hell it would be to be married to Debbie?

(Debbie’s husband) “High honey, I’m home! And I have good news for you. I met with my boss today and I got promoted to Vice President. The company is doubling my salary, increasing my vacation time to six weeks a year, and giving me a brand new Cadillac as a company car. Isn’t that great!”

(Debbie’s response) “Did you get that big corner office on the top floor? No? What do you mean you got the office next to it? What the hell is wrong with you! It’s all about the location of your office. A real man would have made sure he got the corner office on the top floor. Some Vice President you’re going to be without that corner office. God, I can’t believe I married such a loser.”

• François #5

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:06 PM EDT

^ Podunker has officially lost it.

• Laffy #6

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:13 PM EDT

Well, I never said any team is “unbeatable” as I think that’s a stupid thing to say.

I also laughed at everyone calling every other team in the country “over-rated” while literally wetting themselves if I said the same about us.

• J Pat #7

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:28 PM EDT

Laffy, I am just having fun. I knew when I watched L’ville in the pre season they had issues and I also knew that Duke could not run with a team…just had NO idea it would be Miami. I have never seen another more negative poster like you other than 4 guards…difference is I agree with some things you write. Out of curiosity to help me understand your writings more…what year did you graduate from IU and from what school? Also, do you have season tix and/or donate to the varsity club?

• J Pat #8

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:29 PM EDT

Also, did you go by another name on here at one time and talk about gambling against IU at one time and the Vegas lines and so on? You sound a lot like that guy…

• Laffy #9

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:57 PM EDT

Dude, I’m just having fun too. I especially love yanking podunker’s chain…..and HC’s.

In Dook’s defense, they had one of their best players out. Take away Victor or Zeller from us and put us on the road against a Top 25 team and see what happens.

I never graduated from IU. Went there in ’82, stayed in school for 2 years and then lived in Bloomington for another 3 years.

I watched IU win the Title in ’87 at Nicks. My buddy and I got there at 9 am…..am…..and we were the last people they let in because it was already packed. After an hour or so, one of the waitresses came up to my buddy, they knew each other, and said, “Join us upstairs to watch it on the big screen.”

So, we went upstairs and watched TV all day. Drank beer and ate free all day. Watched the game, which of course, was amazing. And we even saw ourselves on national TV. You know how they always go to a bar and show the fans during the game?

Well, since we were at the big screen, they came to our table….and we waved at ourselves on national TV during the Title game. Pretty damn sweet.

And when Keith hit that shot…..biggest rush I’ve ever had.

• Laffy #10

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:59 PM EDT

I did talk about that but I don’t think I did it under another name.

I’ve always used Laffy….except for that brief time to mess with HH and FTC since they were going crazy with fake names.

• J Pat #11

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:09 PM EDT

If you are serious, that is a hell of a story…good stuff. Yeah, Dook had a great player out but he was not enough to cause that beating they took. I go to most games so don’t have a great bar story but I did watch us in fall of 2004 beat a ranked Oregon team at Yogi’s, football. Lance Bennet took the opening kick back and before you know it there were hundreds of people outside watching and place was at capacity. The fight song was loud and clear and my wife was pregnant with our first…great memory!

• J Pat #12

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:10 PM EDT

“bettor” was one name I think…

• Laffy #13

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:43 PM EDT

Of course I’m serious. It was amazing.

If/when IU makes the Title game again, I’m seriously thinking of going to Bloomington to watch it.

Going to the Fountains after that was amazing also.

That person was probably impersonating me or something.

• Larry #14

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:50 PM EDT

Debbie, at this junction of the schedule, THIS IS NOT TO BE USED AS MOP UP TIME, DUH!!!!! IT IS PRACTICE TIME, ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF THE GAME, WE HAVE MICHIGAN ST COMING UP DUH!!!!!!!!! And a host of other Big10 contendoers after that…DUH!!!!!!!

• Punjab #15

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:55 PM EDT

I was at work and didn’t get to watch the game. But following it online, I was inclined to agree with most of what Debbie said. Starters dont need to be in up 23 with 90 seconds to go. Almost nothing good can come of it (other than potentially giving the reserves a chance to get more comfortable pkaying with starters and seeing if certain lineups can play well together…)

However, a closer look at the box score shows that all five reserves that got in the game played at least nine minutes. I was pleasantly surprised to see that. Aside from Sheehey, none of them really seemed to make the most of their increased playing time– at least from a statistical perspective. But box scores doesn’t tell the whole story. How effective were our subs moving and protecting the ball or playing defense? Did Hanner look lost again? Was Creek able to play hard minutes or does it look like he needs more time to get his conditioning and game-shape back? Can someone please illuminate and fill us in those for who haven’t been able to watch it yet?

• Larry #16

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:58 PM EDT

Po, she is simply an attention seeking junkie, would not whatsoever wanna be her kids or husband, period.

• Larry #17

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 5:00 PM EDT

Oh Podunker, I missed your post on being Debbie’s husband before making my post, you hit the nail on the head.

• Punjab #18

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 5:11 PM EDT

Larry, in a way it was mop up time. At least that late in the game. Cody only played 21 minutes, and there’s almost no way you ever sit an All-America candidate that long unless he’s either injured or in foul trouble– or his services just weren’t needed. Based on that, you have to assume Coach wanted to finally play some guys and get them more experience for when the time comes that we NEED them to step up. Good to see them get in, and glad that we built (and sustained) a big enough lead that we could afford to try different sets.

Different people have different philosophies, but at some point you have to balance what’s best for sustaining momentum vs risking injury unnecessarily.

• Hoosier Clarion #19

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 5:17 PM EDT

Laughed at again Laffed-At, I do not wear a chain.

• Bart295 #20

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 6:26 PM EDT

My first post here on the Scoop…I just wanted to say that I do get tired of the IU bashing that seems to permeate throughout the threads. Declare yourself a fan or a critic! We know Laffy and Debby are critics because they lack skilled or accurate expressions of judgment!

Every time I log on I do expect to read Laffy calling others names or belittling women!
    ie: Cody play like a girl!!

Some definitions some might want to read and UNDERSTAND!

A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something, such as a band, a sports team or entertainer.

A critic is anyone who expresses a judgment. Informally, criticism is a common aspect of all human expression and need not necessarily imply skilled or accurate expressions of judgment.

• vgBMG #21

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 6:51 PM EDT

Laffy, you put a smile into your posts on this thread. That made for very enjoyable reading.

• Laffy #22

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 7:32 PM EDT

Using those rules, if you ever criticize Obama, you hate America.

Yawn.

Also, using your rules, that means the VAST majority of “fans” hate IU because they crucified Davis when he was the coach…..even when he got us to the Title game.

• Bart295 #23

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 7:41 PM EDT

Those are not my rules…those are definitions of words…and WTF does Obama have to do with IU BB???

I fully expect you to start your name calling rants in future post!

• Bart295 #24

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 7:47 PM EDT

Coaches never get teams to title games…players and coaches are part of TEAMS…TEAMS get to title games!

Criticize individuals all you want but if you have ever been around competitive sports you would understand the meaning of team!

• Funjob #25

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 7:55 PM EDT

^ Aaaahpsholoootley!

• Laffy #26

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 8:30 PM EDT

Well, using your definition, I most certainly do qualify as a fan.

Are you REALLY trying to tell me that REAL “fans” never criticize their team?

Really?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

So, all those people with season tickets to the Cowboys and Lakers and God knows how many teams who complain aren’t “real” fans at all?

Idiot.

(You wanted me to call you a name so I obliged).

What does Obama have to do with it?

Go grab your crayons and I’ll explain it to you.

And I love how you ducked the part about Mike Davis. Most “fans” did nothing but BITCH the entire time he was at IU.

• Chet #27

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 9:40 PM EDT

” if you have ever been around competitive sports you would understand the meaning of team!”

Bart, I’d say you hit it squarely on the head. Judging from his posts it is extremely unlikely that he ever been involved in competitive sports other than as an observer.

• Podunker #28

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 9:45 PM EDT

Bart295, welcome to The Hoosier Scoop. I like you already. Post #22 was your introduction to Laffy logic. Good luck trying to follow it.

• Bart295 #29

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:32 PM EDT

The definition of a fan is being devoted…Laffy is devoted to being negative about IU…and I knew he would take the bait and call me a name…lol…typical school yard tactics!

I didn’t duck the Davis portion of your comment, but I don’t think complaining about the coach does anyone any good. I will say that Davis was not up to the level of a B1G coach, but RMK fans will never believe anyone, including CTC, will be as good as he was.

Laffy and Debby are the type of people that complain about their presents on Christmas day. I love when I can lump those two together, my guess is that they are secretly married!!!

• Bart295 #30

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:57 PM EDT

Will CW be able to step up and match the bigs that Mich ST brings? Our bench players will determine how we fare this weekend. I believe our guards should be able to out play Mich St guards, matchups are everything in the B1G!!!

• Laffy #31

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:09 PM EDT

LOL!!

“My” logic?

You’re the retards who say, “Unless you only say positive things about team, you’re not a real fan.”

Did you guys see my quote from Dana from UFC? He said 90% of the people were not happy with “just winning.”

You think Bobby was EVER satisfied with “just winning”?

Yes, you did duck it, Gilligan. You’re so wrapped up in “definitions” well, if you didn’t address it, that means YOU DUCKED IT.

Boooooooooomerrrranggg!!!!!!

Sucks having your own tactics used against ya, huh?

And since you’re too stupid to get the Obama thing, I’ll type slow for ya:

Your own definition said, “Devoted to SOMETHING”….so it’s not just limited to sports teams.

And Righties do NOTHING but WHINE about the leader “coach” (Obama) so, using YOUR definition…..not mine….you aren’t REAL fans of America.

All Righties do 24/7/365 is focus on the negative since Obama ever took office.

So, again, they are not “fans of America.”

Davis got us to the Championship game, Goober, so it’s pretty stupid to say he wasn’t a “Division 1 level coach.”

Besides………..so what?

According to YOUR definition, fans HAVE to be supportive.

And Davis was CRUCIFIED non-STOP.

He got farther than Crean did in the Dance.

Sorry, but you’re not allowed to cherry-pick your OWN definition to whenever it fits your agenda.

Unless, you know, you’re the biggest hypocrite on earth.

And the LAST people I care about their views on ANYTHING are hypocrites.

Take your “you’re not devoted as me” and ram it.

I bet you also tell other Thumpers they are REAL Thumpers if they don’t belong to the same sect you do too (Like Evangelicals telling Mormons they aren’t REAL Thumpers who tell Catholics they aren’t REAL Thumpers because they don;t worship EXACTLY like you do.)

(rolleyes)

Our team is FAR from as great as you guys think and it doesn’t make me a “fake fan” to point it out.

You’re the same retards who screamed at the media when we didn;t get every # 1 vote in the polls.

Just because I didn;t join you hillbillies doesn’t make me a “fake” fan anymore than someone who doesn’t love Obama makes them “anti-American.”

• Laffy #32

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:14 PM EDT

Oh…..and for all the crybabies who whine about the above name-calling…….get bent.

If those morons can launch attack after attack against me, then they can put on their big boy pants and get it in return.

you guys are “sick of reading my posts.”

Well, I’m sick of you holier-than thou %$#@#;s telling me I’m not a “real” fan because I actually look at HOW they’re playing instead of just looking at the final score.

• vgBMG #33

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:07 AM EDT

Laffy, you put bitterness into the last half of your posts on this thread; not enjoyable at all.

• Big Hoosier #34

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 8:43 AM EDT

Even more sad is this is a 40 some year old man, according to one of his past posts. I guess past experiences have taught this so called man nothing. As one of the elders on this board, you would think you could help us in keeping this place same. Though you can’t. Again and again, your bitter. I don’t get you. Probably why everyone ignores your posts. They don’t take the bait anymore. Unlike you, we live and learn from our life experiences.

• Laffy #35

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 9:24 AM EDT

Well, it’s not “enjoyable” to be told I’m not a “real” fan 523 times a day just because I don’t slobber all over the team and ignore their faults like you guys do.

So………tough.

And if everyone “ignores my posts”, why do you keep %$#%ing crying about them 24/7?

Jesus.

btw…..here’s an interesting article on stats from kenpom:

I was surprised about the “pace” one as everyone keeps talking about how “fast” we play.

• Laffy #36

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 9:27 AM EDT

Oh, and for Mr. Dictionary, “fan” comes from “fanatic.” Yo guys CRY I’m not “rational” but YOU are.

LOL!!!

Well, “fanatics” aren’t rational.

So, BY DEFINITION, I am the REAL fan and YOU aren’t.

Booooooommmmmerrrrrrrannnnngggggg!!

LOL!!

• Big Hoosier #37

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:41 AM EDT

Just what I wanted. You took the bait. Unlike you, I dont keep on refreshing the page, to see who is out to get me next. You know, you really are insecure. Do you sleep with a gun beside you?

I rarely post here, but posts like yours is what brings this place down. Your a 40 some year old man, and you act like a child? I don’t get it, and never will. Was you deprived of something?

You can bash me all you want, I don’t care. I have a job, and a precious life to live. If you want to continue this bash thread, then by all means, go ahead. I decline. Just take a look at how you respond to people. They don’t take your sarcasm well. You wonder why people are eager for you to leave this place? Will you listen? I doubt it. I wish you would though for our sake.

• Laffy #38

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:47 AM EDT

Ahhhhhhhhh, that’s cute.

You cry about me “being a troll” and then your chest with, “Bwahahahahahaha, YOU TOOK MY BAIT……SUCKER!!!!”

I’m insecure?

LOL!!

You guys are the ones wetting your panties because somebody points out the flaws in our team and act like I called them child molesters.

I don’t give a crap if they “take it well or not.” Sure is odd people always tell me to “ignore HH” when they can’t follow their own damn advice and “ignore me” if they don’t like my posts.

Talk about acting like a 5 year old………

Mommy……he said bad things about my team. I HATE him. He’s MEAN!!! Mommy, MAKE HIM STOP!!!!

• Laffy #39

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:52 AM EDT

Oh….and thanks for all the crying about “act your age.”

The vast majority of the country…..VAST…..thinks Knight acts like an immature 5 year old.

Yet most of this board would lick his feet clean if he asked them to.

Do you think “acting your age” includes getting p’d off because somebody called a player on your team lazy?

Really?

LOL!!

• J Pat #40

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:17 AM EDT

Laffy, why do you do this? Do you enjoy the back and forth? I hate it…think it is because of a nutty child hood…I am happier when we all get along. Reread what you have written…it comes off so poorly!

• Laffy #41

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:24 AM EDT

No, I don’t enjoy it.

You guys need to quit whining you “hate it” while telling me non-stop I’m not a “real fan.”

If you don’t like my opinion, either refute it or ignore it. Ripping me non-stop with, “You’re an idiot who hates the team” will only get you the responses you claim to “hate.”

Look in the damn mirror and quit blaming this all on me.

Like I said, you all tell me to ignore HH. Follow your own damn advice and ignore my posts if you don’t like them.

If you attack me over my opinion……and they are attacks…..don’t ^%$# cry when I attack you back.

• J Pat #42

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:26 AM EDT

Laffy, I agree you are not alone but your TONE is different, it comes off terrible!

• Larry #43

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:44 AM EDT

Thought I was in The Journal & Courier Purdue basketball forum, lol!!!

• Laffy #44

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:47 AM EDT

Well, I think the “You’re not a real fan like me” comes off terrible.

• Ron #45

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:58 AM EDT

Yo Laffy. Relax man it’s Friday. Snowing and 18 degrees here. The KenPom link. Good information. Good explanation of the data that confuses me.

Again per KenPom we just beat #207 and face #17 next. Good new, we played #13 & #17. Got a win too.

CZ’s points last game. Seems if the team is hitting on all cylinders, Cody plays defence and distribution. Which is good. Some of the passes to him last game were really awful. When Cody is getting close to 20 points, from what I’ve seen. means the guys are having a off night and he takes over…? I believe that Cody has one interest and that is IU winning. Stat building is not of interest to him.

Was nice to hear CTC mention intagrating players into the game is hard but one day (soon?) it will all click in.

New IU target Elijah Thomas (ITH). He currently plays for Prime Prep – Deion Sanders. Thinking that is not a big positive for him. If I were him I would be running quickly and far.

Way off topic. Been watching TV with “closed caption”. Can make boring interesting. Just say the weather and the caption had the weatherman saying ” I want to kiss both of her” than went blank.

Back to BB. Have noticed in the last few games teams are getting 10-15 more shots per game. Is that more of a problem than the 18 turnovers last game?

• Ron #46

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 12:07 PM EDT

If you want, add an “s” to new. I was trying to save my “s” for later. And maybe change the a for e in intagrate. Probably more but I’m going back to see what the weatherman has to say.

• Laffy #47

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 12:18 PM EDT

The ones that need to “relax” are those that soil themselves because I don’t cheer for the team exactly like they do and….gasp….actually call out our players when they play like crap.

Get over yourself.

Quit acting like I spit in your grandma’s face and then ran over her with my car.

They’re big boys.

They can handle criticism…..even thrive on it.

Only a “5 year old” takes it personally like you clowns do.

• Dustin Dopirak #48

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 12:43 PM EDT

Enough. Laffy, if you keep going on the rampage your on, I will have no other choice but to ban you. I know chivery is a rare thing these days, but take what people tell you, and let it roll off your back. I look at these comments more then I should, and my journalism suffers. I can’t babysit, and provide the stories your custom to reading by reading this garbage.

• Lord of the Overrated Leprechaun #49

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 1:56 PM EDT

It’s always been my ‘custom’ to read Scoop.

• Ron #50

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:05 PM EDT

Well that hurt. I know I have difficulty constructing a well thought out sentence, not to mention a paragraph. Terrible with spelling and sometimes my finger goes faster than my brain. Typing was pretty easy when I had a secretary.

Hate to think Dustin’s journalism suffers after he reads my comments. Well h***. I feel like ****** now.

• Laffy #51

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:29 PM EDT

Why don’t you give the same advice/threat to them Dustin?

Hell, I didn’t comment on the last game because I didn’t watch it and they are STILL bitching about me “being too negative.”

Damn, let it go.

And that comment about Cody playing like a girl was over a month ago and they’re STILL crying over that too.

Let it roll off your back, indeed.

Jesus.

I’ve never cared for the “Do as we say, not as we do” crowd. They tell me to ignore HH if I don’t like his posts but refuse to do the same with me.

Try holding them to the same “No attacks” policy you hold me.

Tell them “Let his comments about the players roll off your backs instead of getting your panties up your crack and calling him a fake fan 24/7 and then get mad when he responds to it.”

So, what you’re saying is, they can all call me an idiot and fake fan and I’m supposed to ignore that but it’s over the line if I call them a moron in response?

That’s priceless.

• Dustin Dopirak #52

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:35 PM EDT

Strangely enough, I didn’t actually write that. I’m serious. Somebody just imposterized me on my own blog. Imposter me isn’t entirely wrong, but I’m kind of ahead of him because I haven’t really been bothering to read much of this lately, and hence I’d like to believe my journalism hasn’t suffered.
    I’m not quite at the banning stage with Laffy yet. I have thoughts on how this whole thing can be resolved amicably, and depending on how my day goes, I may or may not post them today.
    But I guess to start the question I’d ask Laffy and anyone who is taking the time to argue with Laffy is this. What’s your end game, really? What is anyone really gaining by calling Laffy a fake fan (and really, what is the point of even discussing who is a real fan and who is a fake fan. Especially at this point, does anyone think that calling Laffy a fake fan is advancing anything whatsoever either in his mind or on the blog discussion?) and Laffy, what are you really gaining by going on all-day freakouts anytime someone calls you that? What is anyone seriously getting out of this? We can all see the general pointlessness here, right?

• Laffy #53

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:36 PM EDT

You know, I just scrolled up and was doing fine, and even got praised for my post, and even PRAISED the team, until some idiot jumped on blasting me for no reason.

Did you rip him?

It sure is odd you don;t tell THEM to let comments about PLAYERS…..not THEM……”roll off their backs”….but you expect me to ignore personal attacks ME while saying I can’t call them names.

Talk about hypocrisy.

• J Pat #54

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:43 PM EDT

If I have caused any drama I am sorry…I was trying to help and see if Laffy was “for real”…again, I am sorry and will bow out!!!

• Laffy #55

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:52 PM EDT

After I posted that, I wondered if it was you because your name wasn’t in red like it usually is.

Why do I “go crazy”?

Because I hate hypocrisy. Can’t STAND it.

These guys wet themselves if any personal attack is put up against them, or the players, but think I’m fair game.

I truly don’t give a crap what they think about me and actually laugh when they say, “We don’t respect you.”

Gosh, I guess I’ll kill myself if some anonymous idiots on a board don’t respect me. LOL!!

And, again, why don’t you ask them a similar question: Why do they get SO PISSED if I call a player lazy?

Seriously.

They go stark raving mad.

I said Cody played like a girl a month ago and they STILL go INSANE over it.

Talk about freaking out……..

• Laffy #56

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:54 PM EDT

J Pat, I thought you and I were having one of my better conversations on here in a while.

It wasn’t you.

• Chet #57

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:58 PM EDT

J Pat, there was nothing wrong with your comments.

• J Pat #58

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:03 PM EDT

I didn’t think so but man…ups and downs on here I wanted to make sure. I will leave again on this thread by saying I am really excited about the game on Sunday and yes…I will BOOO Gary Harris!!!

• Laffy #59

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:08 PM EDT

Two last things:

1) For Mr. Dictionary, you might want to look up the word “bigot” as it says “a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.”

So, if you say I’m a “fake fan” because I don’t cheer for the team the same way you do, makes you intolerant of my beliefs. Congrats to all you bigots.

2) Please forgive me for laughing at all the “you act like a 5 year old” when many of you are going to actually boo a college kid for being a “traitor” for picking another school.

That’s just beyond priceless………

• J Pat #60

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:16 PM EDT

Dammit…I do it for fun and will smile like I did it with May…everyone does have an opinion and I opened myself up. Ok, bye for good on this one…

• Ron #61

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:17 PM EDT

Man. Go out for a cup of coffee & miss the action. You missed the interview you had with CTC Dustin – well, I spiced it up some. Few days ago.

• Chet #62

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:29 PM EDT

J Pat, just food for thought, I quit reading his bs and interacting with him some time ago but there is every possibility that his only purpose is to drive people like yourself away from the Scoop. Just consider that.

• Laffy #63

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:45 PM EDT

Well, when I call you guys morons I “smile and do it for fun” too.

:-)

Chet, do you need a tissue for your tears?

Please explain to me why it’s ok for the board to go CRAZY if I criticize the team but I should “let it roll of my back” when I’m personally attacked.

And then, when I attack you back, I get told, “THAT KIND OF STUFF HAS NO BUSINESS HERE!!!!”

Do you even know what the word hypocrisy means?

And, do you think it’s immature to boo a college kid for being a “traitor”?

So, as long as it’s “just having fun” that makes it ok?

Like I said, I’m “just having fun” on here too so…..get over it.

• Laffy #64

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:49 PM EDT

Oh, and MANY people were not “just having fun” with May.

He got a LOT of HATE.

A LOT.

Just like when Recker came back after he went to Iowa.

It was disgusting.

Same how Reed and Collier were treated after they left.

I’ll take “being immature on a board” any day over being “complete classless ^&%%$” to some college kids in real life because they picked another school.

• Punjab #65

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:50 PM EDT

I enjoy some of the tit-for-tat on here. I’ve got a wife, two young daughters, and one more on the way. So I don’t get to enjoy some of the good-natured ribbing and trash-talking over sports I used to. My days of heading to the bar on game day have been replaced with trips to dance class and picking up milk and diapers. Jostling back and forth on here affords me a little break from reality and a chance to relive the simpler days when all I had to worry about was the score, the bartender, and proving that i knew more about sports (and everything else!) than the guy on the stool next to me.

I do agree, though, that sometimes these exchanges get a little too long-winded and personal. Once you’ve made your point, move on. There’s no sense in re-hashing the same talking point over and over, especially when it’s hijacking a conversation that other people might have wanted to join in on.

I’m all for spirited debate and don’t mind getting feathers ruffled every once in a while. I don’t take it personally, and I hope nobody else does, either. But let’s at keep it civil and fresh. There’s nothing worse on here than a stale argument.

• J Pat #66

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:57 PM EDT

Laffy, I have said I would leave this thread a couple times but I have to know this before I start my Friday in an hour…better to BOOO a kid on another team to throw them off so my Hoosiers can have a better chance to win or better to say our starting center “plays like a girl” over and over???

• Laffy 101 #67

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:01 PM EDT

Let’s see if we can try to write a Laffy-style post.

First, you have to DIVIDE your simple ideas in multiple LINES.

Like THIS.

Then, you have to come up with a series of THINGS TO PUT IN ALL CAPS TO OVERSTATE YOUR POINT!!!

The next idea should contain, in quotes, a “bad word or insulting comment or two such as butt pirate or REDUMBLICAN” and then an accusation of HYPOCRISY directed at all the IDIOTS on the scoop who are WAAAY WORSE than you are!!!

Finally, make sure to drive your point home by letting all the so-called “posters” know that the next time they “write” on the Scoop to take the following advice:

Look a their own 3rd-grade name calling before they bring their BS “charges” against the great LAFFY!

Include at least one patronizing question, ok?

• Hoosier Clarion #68

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:10 PM EDT

J Pat, enjoy the weekend, the game and don’t forget to “rolleyes” after booing.

• Laffy #69

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:11 PM EDT

J Pat–

How many times have I said Cody played like a girl? Just the Butler game, IIRC. The only reason it keeps coming up is YOU guys keep saying it.

Not me.

And yes, booing a kid to his face is 10,000 times worse than a comment on here that the player probably won’t ever read.

Spare me the “better chance to win” crap. Why don’t you scream something about his mom too to “throw him off his game” or call him a racial slur too to “upset him so he doesn’t play well.”

And what about Reed and Collier? They didn’t play against us anymore and the personal attacks towards them, and their families, was pathetic.

And going back to Harris, he gets called a “traitor” on message boards and while he’s walking around. How is that “helping us win”?

IU fans like to BRAG we “win with class.”

Baloney.

We’ll BOOOOOOOO a kid and throw out disgusting insults to “help us win” just because he picked another school.

Sad.

So, save the “you’re immature” crap.

I don’t get personally insulted if a kid doesn’t want to go to IU and then treat him like dog food….even if it is to “help us win.”

• J Pat #70

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:15 PM EDT

I have learned a lot today on here and Laffy…I have done nothing you have mentioned above, none of it! I will however BOOO Harris tonight…TGIF!!!

PS: Yes, Assembly Hall is loud enough to throw a kid off their game with enough noise!!!

• Lord of the Scoop #71

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:18 PM EDT

Interesting how blogs can break down…Interesting how civility erodes and we fall back into the most primitive forms rooted in the idiosyncrasies of what we are at the core; the constitution remaining as final rest our inner will and spirit….Not always so easily defined as “good” or “evil”. I think of it as more a last resort to hold onto to a faith in each other or to collapse and break from the weight the direction of things seemingly invertible.

I listened to something quite interesting on YouTube today…Golding referred to it as a form “scaled down society.” Is that what freedom, stripped of nearly all inhibitions absent the parameters of enforced norms and mores developed through common accepted behaviors, evolves into..? Is this Lord of the Scoop?

Somehow, contrary to what most would likely be hasty to presume, my gut tells me that Laffy would be the last to give up civility. His comfort with the primitive truths and the internal chaos his own war with finding the contradictions of society would be the last vestige of reality to stop the mass chaos from swallowing us all.

Jump to the 1:16 mark.

We need Geoff to row his boat up onto the shores…Do you not see the smoke? Hurry, bring us back upon first glance your starchy pressed white shorts and seaman’s cap. This island is heading again into hysteria of a sort not the Hoosier variety. We need you, Geoff. They’re chasing Laffy on the toes their own fears carved into the tips their “scaled down” spears.

• Podunker #72

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:25 PM EDT

Post #67 was brilliant. That made my day.

JPat, I love you, man. But your attempts to reason with the one who shall not be referenced is a waste of time. Trust me, I tried too. But ironically, the best thing he ever wrote on this blog was when he recommended that we not read his comments and just ignore him. Good advice!

Big Hoosier, come back, come back! We need you Big Hoosier.

Bart295, your post #30 was a ray of sunlight in an otherwise cloudy sky. I appreciate your attempt to discuss IU basketball on this site. Unfortunately, because of a few, that is increasingly difficult these days. Your question about CWat stepping up against MSU was right on target. We will see CWat’s value to this team in the next five games.

• Laffy #73

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:40 PM EDT

J Pat–

Don’t really care if “you” have done it….MANY have. And yet those SAME people will call ME “immature” for how I act on here.

Go figure.

And there is a HUGE difference between “cheering loud” and boooing a kid and throwing insults at him.

Also, it’s interesting you said you do it to “help us win.”

Well, guess what? I call the players soft for the SAME EXACT REASON.

Almost every player alive, in every sport, especially the good/great ones, have said, “I LOVE it when people tell me I can’t do something. It MOTIVATES me to prove them wrong.”

Our own players have said it many times.

So, by directing criticism to them, that they deserve, I’m helping to motivate them to win.

So, people need to chill out and shut up because I’m “helping them to win.”

Podunker–

LOL!! Yeah, according to you guys, a person can only be “reasoned with” if they agree with YOU.

LMAO!!

You guys don;t refute anything I say……you just call me names. That means you lost the debate.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #74

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:51 PM EDT

There hasn’t been a bigger advocate for Watford than yours truly..Having said that, the true difference-maker in the next five games(different season..different chapters being written to a different novel)will be Yogi Ferrell.

Also, the steep slope found in Oladipo’s evolution as a complete mature and versatile force on the court, has created a less “irreplaceable” element to our reliance on Watford putting big games on his shoulders.

This year we have an offense that can exploit where it finds greatest weakness. Yogi is the surveyor…Oladipo is the havoc. Hulls the Robert Conrad of the operation..”I dare you to leave me open.”

Don’t get me wrong…When Watford and Cody are on, they send us into a nearly unstoppable group. I just don’t the inconsistency label slapped on Watford’s forehead matters as much this year. Oladipo and Yogi are the great new forces that exponentially change the dynamics a dangerous squad that has little resemblance to the fortunes our team relying on last season’s members “value” pendulum.

• Punjab #75

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 5:04 PM EDT

Laffy, I imagine you were exactly the kind of guy I loved sitting next to at the bar. I enjoyed saying things– even if I didn’t necessarily believe them– just to get a rise out of people and see how they react. I have a feeling we’d go at each other for hours just for argument’s sake, and when we tired of beating each other’s dead horse, we’d join forces and beat someone else’s.

The fact is we see a lot of things eye to eye, and I appreciate your commentary when it stays on topic. Unfortunately, sometimes it just devolves into endless rants about being victimized with hypocrisy and double-standards. I admire how you stick to your guns, but sometimes you have to realize they’re just out of bullets.

• Punjab #76

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 5:12 PM EDT

And Po, thanks for circling back to Bart’s #30 post. I meant to do that early this morning but got sidetracked then went to bed.

The Bigs will be an interesting matchup. Either Wat or Cody can run Nix out of the gym if we can draw him out of the post. Payne’s a different matchup altogether. We should be alright as long as we avoid foul trouble. But what happens if we have to rely on Parea? Is he ready to step up?

• Laffy #77

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 5:16 PM EDT

Oh, give me a break.

It is not “playing victim” to point out someone is a complete hypocrite. People say they want “rational debate.” Well, that is impossible to have with someone being a hypocrite.

I’d say the person who is “out of bullets” is the one that calls you a fake fan because you dare criticize the team or have a different opinion than they do.

And “endless rants”? Some idiots STILL won;t stop whining about my “played like a girl” from over a month ago. Let it go already…..that is, if you’re “tired of it.”

Yes, we probably would have had a great time at the bar together.

• Post #67 #78

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 5:47 PM EDT

Look it it again, look at the following Laffy posts, and tell me I am not exactly right.

• Punjab #79

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 5:54 PM EDT

I don’t agree with the people who seem to think a fan– no matter how die hard they may be– can’t criticize their teams. I’m a Cubs fan, and it seems like 90 percent of our “fan talk” is criticism. (The other 10%is spent talking about how next year is the year we out it all together. This, of course, happens every year..)

But, constantly bringing up how it’s okay for some people to say this, but you can’t say that sure sounds a lot like victimization to me. Clearly, it’s hard to convey tone on an internet thread, but If it’s fair for you to characterize other posts as “whining” and “crying,” is not also fair for me make similar characterizations of yours?

• Laffy #80

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 6:32 PM EDT

Great point about the Cubs. According to the “rules” on here, there isn’t a “real” Cubs fan alive.

Again, I think the “victimization” thing is a load of nonsense.

People say, “You can’t call me an idiot because that’s offensive” or “You shouldn’t say Thumper because that’s offensive” but if I say, “Calling me a non-fan is offensive”, I’m told, “So &^^%ing what? Just let it roll off your back.”

How about telling people I call a moron to “quit playing victim” and “just let it roll off your back”?

Pointing out hypocrisy/double-standards is not “playing victim”, it’s telling the truth.

Especially when it’s coming from clowns who whine 24/7 they want “rational/civil debate.”

Do you tell black people, “Quit playing victim” when they’re called the n-word?

Don’t tell me I’m not allowed to offend you and then tell me to ^%$# off if you offend me and I say something about it.

The ONLY victims on here are the ones crying, “I hate reading Laffy’s posts because they make me mad” yet keep on reading them anyway.

Now THAT is playing victim.

I blow right thru most of HH’s posts because I think they’re pure nonsense. I don’t come on here and cry 24/7 how much I “hate” reading them.

• Punjab #81

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 7:10 PM EDT

I think the difference here, Laffy, is that there’s one of you and so many of them. Well, I guess you and Debbie, but she seems to do a lot of drive-by bashing without sticking around to defend her position.

Most people on here do discuss and, yes, jab responsibly. You have the occasional clowns that stop by, but I’ve now been on here long enough to determine that’s mostly to vent and/or talk trash after a loss. They can have their gypsy Internet gangster posts, and I’ll continue to just feel sorry for most of them.

You are a regular. And with so many new or irregular posters stopping by, it’s easy for them to get caught up in the same old arguments. I did it when I first started posting. To the new people like me, we don’t know that the spats we are having are the same spats that have been had are over the same old stuff for a long time. I’m sure the points I’m making right now have been made dozens of times by people who have either gotten tired, given up, or just find it distasteful.

I’m all for posting provocative stuff sometimes, but in moderation. When you do it constantly, it comes across as attention-seeking. And when you do it too much, it turns most people completely off. Then you become the villain- the victim of scorn- and repeatedly defend your position again and again. That’s where I see the “victimization” act come into play. Call it what you want. I’m sure some would agree with me, and many won’t. And that’s fine.

• Chet #82

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 8:46 PM EDT

…I don’t think very many won’t…

• Ben #83

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:49 PM EDT

As I am fond of saying, if you don’t like what you read, simply just keep it to yourself. Lets be honest, what are we achieving here by fighting? I don’t see HT giving out awards for “most degrading post”. Think of it this way. If Tom Crean and our players read what we write on here, they would probably write some of us off as loons. Think about it..

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football