FINAL: INDIANA 68, NORTHWESTERN 64. First Big Ten win for Curt Miller. Hoosiers outrebound Wildcats 42-31, including 15 on the glass. Sinclair finishes with game-high 31
1:36: Deloach, by the way, has a career-high 15 rebounds. Northwestern cuts it to 62-60 w/ 3 from Douglas.
Under-4: IU up 58-51. Sinclair fouled while attempting a 3. Hoosiers with 15 offensive rebs. Really, really nice hustle day for IU.
Simone Deloach is having an outstanding day. Considering the foul trouble of Rubene and Taufa, she’s come up huge. 8 pts 12 rebs.
Both teams getting a little sloppy here. Indiana holding on to a 50-48 lead over Northwestern at the under-8. Sinclair up to 21 for Hoosiers
8:22: A 3-pointer by Sinclair increases IU’s lead to 50-46. Sinclair now has 21.
11:53: Northwestern has stormed back on a 13-2 run and now leads 44-33.
Northwestern on a 10-2 run to cut it to a 43-41 game with 13:35 to play.
15:57: IU up 41-34. Hoosiers outrebounding Northwestern 23-21, with nine of those coming on the offensive glass. Wildcats up to 62 percent from 3-point range.
HALFTIME: INDIANA 35, NORTHWESTERN 27. Sinclair with 13 points and Rubene with 9. Northwestern entered today shooting 29 percent from 3-point range. It’s shooting 57 percent (4-for-7) through 20 mins.
IU up 31-21 with 3:48 to play, but Rubene and Taufa each with 3 fouls. Again, not good for IU.
Milika Taufa picked up her 3rd foul with 6:41 to play in the first half. Not a good thing with IU thin up front. IU up 27-21.
7:50: Indiana leads Northwestern 23-19. Aulani Sinclair and Kendall Hackney trade 3-pointers before the Under-8 timeout. Sinclair leads IU with nine points so far.
14:24: IU up 11-8. Linda Rubene, playing with a facemask after suffering a concussion, has seven of the team’s points. Perhaps she ought to wear one all the time.
PREGAME: Indiana returns to Assembly Hall for its Big Ten home opener against Northwestern. The Hoosiers fell at Michigan on Thursday, 65-48, while the Wildcats are coming off a competitive loss at No. 9 Penn State. Sasha Chaplin is not in warmups today, so I think it’s safe to say she won’t be playing this afternoon.
Also, as IDS beat writer Robby Howard points out, top 2014 recruit Tyra Buss is in attendance with her family today.
I’ll have updates here and on Twitter. Here are a couple of pre-game nuggets, courtesy of the IU media relations department:
• Indiana leads the overall series against Northwestern, 35-31.
• The Hoosiers are 12-3 in the their last 15 matchups against the Wildcats.
• Indiana has shot 40.0 percent or better from 3-point range in eight games this season and are 7-1 in those contests. The last time an Indiana team shot 40.0 percent or better eight times in a season came during the 2007-08 campaign when IU shot that well in 10 contests.
• With winning its ninth game of the season over UIC on Dec. 31, Indiana finished with its most wins in regular season non-conference games in six years.
• In their last home game, the Hoosiers scored a season-high 81 points against UIC, marking the most points scored in a single game for an IU team in over two years. The last time Indiana hit that mark was onNov. 26, 2009, at Ball State.
• Jasmine McGhee has scored in double-figures in each of the last three games, which is the longest streak of games this season that she has tallied 10 or more points consecutively. That stretch washighlighted by a 27 point performance on Dec. 21 vs. Xavier, which tied hercareer high as she shot 11-for-18 from the field and had seven rebounds.
• Aulani Sinclair has scored 27 or more points in three of the last four games, including a career-high 34 points against on Dec. 16 vs. SIUE when she shot 12-for-23 from the field and 7-for-13 from beyond the arc.
Po, very good post and I agree with what you are saying. Coach Wilson [...]
Double Down, I'm with you. It seems like the HC hires a DC and "poof, [...]
IU is now most likely an 8 line for the ncaa, a win over Iowa would pu [...]
Got a chuckle while stumbling upon this [...]
How quickly I sold out ....I believe I made a comment on Scoop a coupl [...]
I think we're saying the same thing, guys. Wilson seems to really be [...]
Yes, I can log in now. Thanks, Jeremy. [...]