Live Discussion: Indiana at Penn State

12 comments by   |   Monday, January 7, 2013 - 4:13 pm EDT

Related content: Read more in Live Game Chats, Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
coachv
Monday, January 7, 2013 - 5:43 PM EDT

anyone know where iu fans would hang out before the game in state college?

#2 Monday, January 7, 2013 - 10:30 PM EDT

I didn’t see the game but looking at the box score I have one question: Why did Hanner and Jeremy get so few minutes?

iU fan in MN
Monday, January 7, 2013 - 11:07 PM EDT

Anyone worried about Indiana’s stand around half court offense?

The Watcher
Monday, January 7, 2013 - 11:17 PM EDT

@aruss

Because they can’t play. Neither is capable of productive minutes at this point.

Punjab
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 12:09 AM EDT

They certainly won’t be capable of productive minutes down the road if we don’t put them in. If you’re just going to coast in the second half, why not coast with your reserves? We may need that experience one day.

Podunker
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 12:17 AM EDT

More than a few observations about tonight’s win at PSU:

1. I don’t think anyone will be making any legitimate criticisms of CWat for his performance tonight (but there’s always Debbie). He dominated the first half of the game and finished with 16 points and 8 rebounds. He scored inside, outside and on the free throw line, and played solid defense.

2. While I’m happy IU won big on the road, the start of the second half was the worst five minutes of basketball they’ve played all year. It looked like Crean allowed them to take a nap at half time! Can’t afford that when they play against a better team.

3. VO had good moments tonight, but this was his worst game of the year. He just looked a little off. Maybe the hype of being named the best player on the team got into his head.

4. 17 turnovers? 17 frickin turnovers against PSU!

5. For the height they have, IU is still under-performing in the defensive rebounding department. I think most of PSU’s points resulted from second, third or fourth chance shots. IU is not yet a good rebounding team.

6. Anyone who does not think Cody Zeller has a huge influence on the game is blind or not paying attention. How many steals did he have tonight? How many shots did he alter? He actually stole the ball from a PSU guard at mid-court took two dribbles and dunked the ball. If you watch him, he does a lot of little things that make a huge difference. He will get better and better, but he’s damn good now.

7. Two big ten road wins to begin the season. That is outstanding. I don’t care how good the opponents were, that takes a lot of pressure off IU to begin conference play.

Punjab
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 12:20 AM EDT

@MN

I am a little concerned. We’re great at transition buckets, and at times our motion and passing is phenomenal in the half court. But you’re right. Too often we see out guys relying on shooting and athletic superiority instead of executing plays. Certainly not time to panic, but we’ve see that can hurt us.

#8 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 1:02 AM EDT

Podunker – is this team capable of running the table in the B1G?

Podunker
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 1:12 AM EDT

In theory, yes. In reality, no. OSU, MSU, IL and MN are all going to be really tough road games. And those teams will be behind IU (in the Big Ten standings) when IU arrives on their campuses, so they will be hyper-motivated. If IU can beat two of those teams on the road, it will be a great accomplishment. But even if IU wins all those road games, I don’t think IU can beat Michigan at Michigan this year.

Ben
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 10:24 AM EDT

Michigan is going to be TOUGH. Going to be a great game. I wish we had McGary. Oh well.

Podunker
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 9:35 PM EDT

Ben, I hope it’s a great game, because if its not, it’ll be a Michigan blowout. But I hope Michigan is all beat up by then and that IU’s depth will have kept them fresh. This will be a marathon, not a sprint!

Ben
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 11:36 PM EDT

I agree PO. I am a bit disappointed in our bench. Not Remy or Sheehey, but I thought Jeremy would be a bit more productive, but isn’t terrible by no means. He will continue to learn. Hanner is a development, and Creek and Elston, I guess are just injury prone. This might sound Harsh, but if Creek gets hurt again, he might want to hang it up. I mean, his body can never get into full basketball mode, because of injury. Feel sorry for him. Elston, well bad luck has rode him hard too with I jury. Even when healthy though, I never saw a player who I thought would blossom.

Comments

• M. Golf. Three Hoosiers In Top 10 at Northern Am - Nicholas Grubnich's second place finish led three Hoosiers in the top 10 of the Northern Amateur at Sand Creek Country Club in Chesterton, Ind. Joining Grubnich in the top 10 were
  • M. Tennis. ITA Summer Circuit Returns to Bloomington This Weekend - The Hoosiers will play host to the ITA Midwest Summer Circuit starting Saturday and going through
  • Hoosier Newsstand, July 26 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Evaluation period: Friday recap - Indiana watched a new 2015 prospect in Las Vegas late Friday night, several Indiana targets had big
  • Five-star center Thomas Bryant on IU: “They’re recruiting me pretty hard” -

Class of 2015 Huntington Prep (W.V.) center Thomas Bryant is one of 33 players in Colorado Springs this week vying for a spot on USA Basketball’s U17 World Championship

• Kenny Williams looks ahead to visits, outlines plan for trimming list -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — His Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) career may have ended with a loss in the Peach Jam semifinals, but class of 2015 guard Kenny Williams

• Rawle Alkins talks recruiting, Indiana - 2016 guard Rawle Alkins is playing with the NY Rens in the adidas Super 64 in
  • Kyle Guy updates recruiting, talks Indiana - 2016 guard Kyle Guy spoke with AllHoosiers.com on Thursday to update his
  • Women's Basketball Coach Curt Miller Resigns from Indiana