McClain, Hulls, Elston fill in for Crean at radio show

32 comments by   |   Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:03 pm EDT

Dustin’s Note: Didn’t realize this didn’t publish last night. Sorry for the strange timing.

Indiana coach Tom Crean was in Springfield, Mass., on Monday night for recruiting purposes, watching 2013 signees Troy Williams and Stanford Robinson. IU assistant coach Steve McClain took over his spot and seniors Jordan Hulls and Derek Elston also took to the microphone.

McClain had to face at least a few slightly critical questions about the team’s recent performances, especially about Indiana’s play in the second half. The Hoosiers have only outscored one team — Penn State — in the second half in Big Ten play, though they have led at the half in all five games and own a 4-1 conference record.

McClain explained the discrepancy by saying that in Big Ten play, the teams are too good not to come back.

“You take the Minnesota game for example,” McClain said. “We’re up (23) at halftime. Well, last time I checked, Minnesota’s got a Top 25 team and they’re a very good team. They’re not gonna go away. As the game flows, they make a run. Maybe we miss a couple of shots, but the game is going to come back at some point. Now, there’s sometimes when you’re playing different teams that that 25 can go to 30 and 35. You don’t see it happen in very many league games. You’ll see teams get up. You think about our game last year at Michigan. We got off to a really bad start. By halftime, we had it back to about 12, and by later in the game, we had it ready to win. Some of that is maybe your guys relax a little bit. That can happen and we talk about that. But I think the other part is, when you’re playing another good basketball team, we know how we are, and we don’t think we’re ever out of it. So I think that’s a credit to this league and the coaches. Penn State’s coming in here 0-5, and it’s not like we’re preparing like they’re 0-5. We’re preparing for them to come in here and fight as hard as they have all year, and they’re gonna do it for 40 minutes. Tim Miles at Nebraska’s got that team fighting for 40 minutes. To answer your question, I’m not sure that you can look at it and say it’s one specific thing. I think more than anything, I think those teams you’re playing are not gonna stop. There’s gonna be a point where it all comes back and maybe you miss a few free throws and the game gets a little tight. But at the end of the day, I’d much rather be up 24 at halftime on Minnesota and half to worry about how we hold on, then to be up six and go ‘Well, let’s just have a great second half.’ That’s a good problem to have. As long as we keep being up a lot and have to worry about how we finish the end, I’ll take that every night.”

McClain was also asked about what a caller perceived as a lack of movement and screening on offense.

“Our strategy on offense has been the same since Day 1,” McClain said. “I think this, we do want Yogi to search every time he goes down the court. I think we have the best freshman point guard in the country. I don’t think there’s any debate about that. We set a lot of drags or ball screens trying to free him so he can find Jordy wide open, find Cody on a roll, find Christian in that slot. Yeah, we want to go inside to Cody. Since the day Cody got here, coach has always said we can play through Cody. He’s a great passer. There’s not many times he gets double-teamed that he doesn’t throw it and find somebody wide open. I think there’s always a point where maybe a team goes zone and you may get a little stagnant for a little bit. But I think overall when I watch our team, I don’t see us stand very much. Again, if we are it’s because we’re in a position that we’re supposed to be knowing what’s going on the other side of the court and where the ball could come from. I love watching them as a coach, I think Vic and Will, we’ve got two of the hardest-cutting, back-cutting, cut in front of your face guys in the country. I don’t see those two ever stand very much. Christian and Jordy are two of the best spot-up shooters in the country. You don’t mind them standing a little bit. And in Yogi, you can find somebody who’s open all the time. That’s our philosophy. That’s what we’re trying to do. When you look at the national stats and where we rank in field goal percentage and 3-point percentage and scoring, 99 percent of the time we’re doing a pretty good job of that.”

When Hulls and Elston came on, Don Fischer, Indiana’s play-by-play man and the host of the show, joked with Hulls about suckering Northwestern into fouling him late by missing three straight free throws.

“That’s how I planned it,” he joked. “Derek said I’m the smartest player to ever play. I missed three free throws in a row. Made them think I’m not gonna hit any more the rest of the game and make them foul me.”

Of course, that wasn’t happened at all, and Hulls didn’t take it well at the time.

“They’re free,” Hulls said. “You shouldn’t miss them. I wasn’t too happy with myself, but I hit them late them in the game, so I was alright after that.”

Fischer asked Elston about his injury recovery. The senior forward has only played 36 minutes this season including one minute in Sunday’s game, and admitted that he has had some setbacks.

“I’ll go and have really good days to be able to come in and workout with these guys,” Elston said. “For me to be able to say I’ve been through a full practice with these guys is pretty uplifting. But then I’ll turnaround and I’ll do the littlest thing and be back to Square 1. Right now, Coach Crean is just telling me to keep my head up. I’m allowed to be frustrated. It comes with life, but never be discouraged. That’s how I’m looking at it.”

However, Elston said he’s been proud of the coaching he’s been able to do, especially with the freshmen.

“I know that a lot of what I have to say isn’t really going to influence someone like Jordan or Cody or Christian that much,” Elston said. “Those guys kind of know how to do their own thing, they know how to play, but there’s nothing that puts a smile on my face more or is more gratifying for me than to see Hanner go out there, catch the ball, face up, take one dribble, do his spin move and put the ball in the basket, or for him to go out and get three or four or five rebounds. For me, that’s who I’ve been working with this entire season is Hanner and Peter. To have them go out there and for them to have great success. Because I realize right now, it’s just not my time right now. I realize that. But even Jeremy, I like working with him, because I see a little Christian Watford in him. To have him go out here with Hanner. Peter, it will come for Peter, but when Hanner and Jeremy go out on the floor and they do something that helps this team in any way, a rebound, an assist, a deflection, there’s nothing better to see.”

Fischer asked Hulls who he mentored this summer, and Hulls spoke at length about his respect and admiration for Yogi Ferrell.

“He’s one of the hardest-working freshmen I’ve ever seen,” Hulls said. “Coming in, it was really cool to see how much he’s even developed since this summer. His strength, his mindset of how he approaches the game. he’s just so locked in to what we have to do in order to win. He’s taking a big leadership role even as a freshman.”

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Report: Sheehey signs with team in Montenegro ... or not
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Laffy
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 2:33 PM EDT

Just like Crean, he refuses to take any blame and say, “Poor coaching” and, instead, blaming it on the other team being “tough” and “Our shots weren’t falling.”

Yawn.

Ron S.
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 4:40 PM EDT

We get it you don’t like Crean. So what, don’t like don’t watch. Your armchair unqualified coaching is so in the minority. Go I.U.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 4:54 PM EDT

Laffy, I agree with you but I wasn’t expecting him or Crean to take on the coaching issues directly or without resorting to language to cushion responsibility. Very few coaches (probably in any sport) will address the strategy based on wrong assumptions, tactics that fail or blow back on their teams and/or players who simply are not up to the situation or fail to perform.

This is not something that surprises me, since I expect it. When coaches become more and more aggressive (see Real Madrid’s Mourinho for example)(I chose an example from soccer because it will be easier for some to accept than a situation from B1C basketball). Coaches do what comes natural…avoid the subject that makes them accountable and responsible; or/and, transfer the pressure back to the questioner (sort of shoot the messenger). Fans often do the same.

But, you can’t blame them for their self-interest. Sometimes, the press does not represent the interest of the fans or well.

Often, the failure is in the press and reporters who don’t ask specific questions or are much more concerned about ‘access’ than digging out an uncomfortable story. Sometimes, the reporters aren’t very good…at all.

The issues surrounding Indiana University basketball are both complex very specific and no one is pushing Crean to be accountable or clear as to their source. Thus, his responses have become very vague and have been (perhaps deliberately) allowed to drift into the area of ‘tones’, (reporter’s) ‘attitudes’, demeanor during the press conference, etc. And, to this point, Crean has been allowed to be successful in changing the subject. (Look at the flow of his press conferences over time). The incident over ‘Dustin’s smirk’ is just the latest example; though, it may have been predictable to Dustin who has known this and didn’t do much (according to my reading of his statement) to avoid giving Crean the opportunity to go off on him.

And, it doesn’t happen just at IU; it is all over basketball because this is now ‘big business’ and these jobs are ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunities. There are tens of millions of dollars and entire marketing initiatives involved, huge TV contracts, $1 million to $5 million dollar annual coaching salaries at stake. Do you think any coach is going to tolerate being asked:is asking…”coach, is your coaching up to the challenge in the Big Ten?”

An example: while we are in a particularly tough conference, the lower level teams have not shown any particular interest in developing a competitive team at the level of the top 5-6 teams in the conference? Can you imagine the question, “what specific plans have you made to recruit more competitive players?”; “Are the assistants knowledgeable teachers of the game?”; “Where are the breakdowns in preparation that are causing us to be in the bottom fourth of the standings?”; “Do you really have a game plan to beat Indiana, or is your game plan predicated on the idea that Indiana should beat you?”, “They run as well as anyone in the country, how will we slow them down since we can not compete basket-for-basket?”; “Why did our guards seem to get confused when pressured by (a player like Oladipo?) …. was he not prepared?’

If this is the case with the bottom teams, can you imagine the reluctance of reporters to address the coaches of leading teams? “Coach, you seem befuddled, nervous and chaotic out there. Do you think you provide calm to players in pressure situations? Do they hear your instructions?”; What were- specifically- those instructions?”

“Exactly what are we trying to accomplish with a 23 point lead at the beginning of the second half?”; “What was the plan?…[and]…”how did you explain it to the players?” “Do we want to run clock time with each possession, or did you feel that if we get out of our initial rythm we would lose focus and lose control of the game? ”

Or questions about personnel? “Do you ever question whether having two small guards on the floor at the same time put you at a defensive disadvantage when we are trying to stop the other team’s run?” “Do you ever worry that frequent substitutions that do not allow for any particular combination of players to establish flow and pace actually results in disjointed play that makes the other teams runs more likely?” Are you concerned when an opponent’s player’s quickness seems to overwhelm his defender?, “would a different combination of guards increase our effectiveness?”

Going on with questions, “How do you approach resolving the issues?”; “How are your assistants at giving you observations during a game and designing counters to challenges?”; “Do you have your assistants looking at the game for specific issue? Could you be specific about their respective roles?”

I could go on and on and on…but journalists have to provide real questions to coaches (and other public person, especially public, institutional or corporate officials. Often, that depends on [the journalist's] own expertise and, frequently, their own knowledge is limited. But even when the reporter’s knowledge is adequate, the question becomes one of his/her willingness to establish his/her territory and responsibility with the coaches and their institutions knowing there may be pressures on him to not do so.

In other words, they have to know and be willing to do their job. That’s why they call it a job. This is true not only in basketball, the NCAA, in the B1C. It is also true in the written and electric media when it involves political reporting, the entertainment industry, the social pages, etc. The ‘right to know’ often depends on the ‘willingness (or unwillingess) to know’.

And the readers to demand so. But, sometimes people just prefer their fantasies to learning the reality.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 5:02 PM EDT

Ron S., (I know this can’t be the Ron I’ve been reading; he’s too smart to author this comment) while I’ve had disagreements with Laffy, they’ve been about issues other than substantive. I think he has a point worth thinking about and, yes, debating.

Your comment: “So what, don’t like don’t watch. Your armchair unqualified coaching is so in the minority. Go I.U.” is idiotic, abusive and against anything that being a Hoosier fan (or an American for that matter) stands for.

It would embarrass me to find out you are an IU graduate.

Hoosier Clarion
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 6:02 PM EDT

Abusive? Against anything about being a Hoosier fan?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 6:03 PM EDT

“I could go on and on and on…”

You did. And you initially nearly acted like Crean should be dragged to the gallows for his reaction to Dustin.

You lacked the objectivity and wider perspective to see the possibility of something else going on in the room(nonverbal interaction). You failed to even identify that Dustin may have played a part in Crean’s snappy attitude.

It would seem a fundamental principle of any reporter(learning to pass before endless dribble) to see beyond the emotional before making quick judgments.

Much like any investigative type of profession, a requirement to momentarily step back(court vision), look for alternative explanations, seek varied courses leading to varied outcomes, before going at only one conclusion like a Pit Bull at a throat instead of a probing point guard an objective score.

Rather comical how you spent so much effort with mock questions as if to tutor someone in the art of how to be a reporter. By insinuating the testy confrontation between Crean and Dustin was all on Crean, you became the Pit Bull, you failed Reporting 101 by bringing a thick notebook of preconceived notions and prejudices into the classroom. It was only Harvard(and don’t be too hard on yourself because you weren’t the only one chastising Crean for snapping at Dustin) that suggested something nonverbal could be going on. Of course, now some play it off as “mundane”…Sure wasn’t mundane to you when you first saw the video. Dustin having the guts to admit the truth is the only thing that stopped Tsao from pulling the lever, 20 more posts of dangling Crean from a rope, over the “mundane” that occurred out of full camera’s eye in that room.

Conclusion: It took Dustin nearly a full day to come onto Scoop, admit to the actual circumstances playing out in the room, with the full objectivity that should have been before our eyes from the beginning….He should have set you straight immediately rather than any attempt to save his face or Tsao’s precious condemnation of Crean for a day. So easy to disrespect anyone in any setting when the camera is not an equal opportunity employer. Of course, there’s never a camera on the faces our opinions.

Beyonce…? National Anthem not live? Smirk. It appears objectivity is lacking in more than journalism. “Did you have another point to make, Beyonce?….Another note to hit out of the park? Sure?”

And how ’bout dem Bulls..? Da Bulls! Are the Bulls actually playing more inspired team ball without Rose? Does excessive limelight for one sometimes temper the heart of a team? Let’s keep that in mind with our Hoosiers. Would the Bulls not be a great team for Oladipo to land..? The entire Bulls team actually prides itself in defense.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 6:14 PM EDT

I shouldn’t really say “it was only Harvard.”

Chet was willing to come to the party after I posted a couple comments that investigated the possibility.

Beyonce still has a right to her day in court(or court of public opinion), but in my heart, this is still the best “live” version.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 6:48 PM EDT

I don’t know why I like McClain so damn much…He’s such a perfect counterpart to Crean. There’s a confidence without pretension that exudes from McClain…a quiet glue if you will. He seems like a man that would be a great listener. Players need ears as much as they need mouths.

And what a great opportunity for a guy that was so removed from the big stage of college basketball. What’s the odds a Hoosier coach being plucked from the obscure conferences of the Rocky Mountains to be immersed into holy land of Plump, Hinkle, Assembly, Robertson, Bird, and Bailey?

For all the accusations that can come with the club-like atmosphere where connections determine the hoarding of limelight in college and professional sports, it sure was refreshing when Crean went outside the box(against the many suggestions from the the fan base to hire an ex-Hoosier or a guy like Fife), and put in the call to Steve McClain.

I honestly believe there couldn’t have been a better hire. No evidence..just a feeling in the center of my Hoosier basketball heart. Indiana should be about chances and opening up new opportunities. Sometimes the best fit is not always the thickest resume a known offspring.

Laffy
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 7:00 PM EDT

Ron–

It’s not that I “don’t like” Crean, it’s that I don;t think he’s nearly as great as most fans, and himself, think he is.

And if he thinks he “invented basketball”, like the other coaches say he acts like, and never blames his own coaching and always puts it on “shots not falling”, then we aren’t going to get any better.

I’m used to being in the minority….and I’m usually right. People like you crack me up beating your chest with “Most people agree with me so that proves I’m right.” LOL!!!

TT–

Well, I kinda see your point, but that makes him no better than all the politicians everyone loves to hate: blame everyone else but yourself.

I have seen coaches take blame. And the sign of a great leader…..whether in sports, business, military…is to admit when wrong.

Most people, especially guys (and it seems mostly Righties) would rather you cut off their leg than admit they were wrong…..on anything. I think that’s nonsense. Plus, I though pride was a sin.

And….thanks for the reply to Ron.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 7:05 PM EDT

I shall conclude my presence on this thread with a tune dedicated to Tsao, the mundane lip-syncing of Beyonce, a Derek Elston trip, faith in truth and honesty, Hoosier press conferences in Evanston, Jamarcus Ellis standing tall to protect Eric Gordon from a dirty foul, and anyone brave enough to ride back and search for something worth saving.

Ron
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 7:08 PM EDT

That was Ron S

Not Ron/Rufus

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 7:39 PM EDT

Ron Reagan..Ron Santo..Ron Cey…Ron Jaworksi…Ron Popeil..Ron Paul…?
President, posthumous Hall of Famer, penguin, Polish rifle, pocket fisherman, a pap smear from a ping-ponging politician from Pittsburgh PA..? Ron Rufus now claim them all.

Ron
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 8:02 PM EDT

And here I thought you concluded your presence on this thread.

California was fun with Reagan as Governor. He & a group bought a large plot of desert. Couple of yrs later, surprise, a new interstate highway interchange located on his newly purchased land. Plus he “forgot” to file his state income tax.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 9:04 PM EDT

Are you implying Reagan was corrupt? Corruption in California? shocker. And now cover-ups of poor coaching on the storied floors of McCracken land upon smirks a purple press room? Smirks everywhere…Cynicism abounds in the land of the free and home of the brave. Even Francis Scott Key rolls in his grave to the title song our country serving as too challenging a poem for a brave vocal box. Is there any hope? Let’s just claim it all to be hype born of boredom our lives too mundane. We blog…We blog on. Put on another hit, Jeremy…Show us how clever your choice for a Hoosier Morning song as you “Hush” a Deep Purple lullaby to rock us to sleep in arms of truth long gone…For once was there not a day a star was God’s natural blessing and the notes of an honest chord a humble battle cry under freedom’s twilight lost an ear to the heart a Van Gogh brush? Honor..Humility..Why was it sold? What now its price?

Podunker
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 10:44 PM EDT

HforH; I don’t say this too often, but your post #6 was good. I don’t agree with everything you wrote, but it was most interesting.

Laffy, O.K., so we get that you consider yourself the great counterweight to all those “blue sky” Hoosiers that have a “love-is-blind” admiration for IU’s head basketball coach. We understand that you are the the ultimate authority and the one true and objective arbiter of Tom Crean’s coaching aptitude and college basketball coaching talent. And we also understand that you believe that very few, if any, other posters on this site are qualified to evaluate IU’s coaching staff, offer an opinion, or God forbid, disagree with your astute observations and/or conclusions on this matter. We now accept that if anyone makes a positive comment about Tom Crean’s coaching ability or his staff, they’re drinking the cool aid, they’re “homers,” or they’re so biased as to be incapable of seeing the truth that only you can see and only you can articulate. We get it. You’re O.K., but everyone else is a fool and therefore deserves your scorn, contempt and mockery! O.K., so can you stop now? Please. We get it. The horse is dead, so there is no need for you to continue beating it. If you try really hard, you may be able to identify another target for your infinite disdain. Or better yet, get a life!

Lord of the One-Three-One
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 11:11 PM EDT

Heart of Big 10 season coming. Time for Crean to go a little zone.

D Hitch
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 11:14 PM EDT

Well written, Podunker. Thanks. Go Hoosiers!

Laffy
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 1:08 AM EDT

No, crybaby, I never said I was the “ultimate authority.”

I gave my opinion.

And then one of your buddies started whining about “minority” and I told him I never gave a crap about “being in the minority”….especially since the majority has been wrong countless times.

If you want to wet your panties and pout how you think I’m calling my self KING over that, well, you’re a complete moron so knock yourself out.

It’s YOU ^%%$#$ who “God forbid” has a different opinion that you all have complete meltdowns. If someone doesn’t think our players and coach can part the Red Sea with simple commands, you start soiling your pants how he “hates IU.”

You don’t think most fans are biased?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Don’t like my posts….don’t read them.

Why the hell should “I” stop posting yet have to read thru all YOUR crap of how this team is the best thing since the game was invented?

(Yes, retard, you never said that…….and I never said any of the crap you just spewed either.)

coachv
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 1:43 AM EDT

tsao

are you high or merely an idiot? your ramblings are incoherent. perhaps more parethesis would help.

Chet
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 8:58 AM EDT

Harvard, et al,
I was just thinking about how, if I was in the classroom and one of my grad students responded to what I thought was a reasonable answer with a smirk, I might react. I’d probably glance back and ask something to the tune of, “Was there something else? Did that answer your question?”

I haven’t looked at the video in a while but it seems like that was pretty much how CTC responded.

As Clarion said a while back, it looked pretty mundane to me. I don’t get the uproar.

Podunker, you were absolutely spot on and got the usual canned response (which I didn’t read past the first few words as you can read that far and determine if there’s gonna be any intelligent content). It’s why I never bother to read any of it or respond any more. He’s on ‘auto skip’.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 10:27 AM EDT

I had no uproar over it. Here was the “uproar.”

TsaoTsuG
Sunday, January 20, 2013 – 10:00 PM UTC

Dustin, completely uncalled for that Creans responds to your questions as he does. To single you out is a transparent attempt to intimidate you; thus unprofessional and arrogant. And, that’s the worse characterization one can make of his responsibilities, that he is handling them in an unprofessional manner based on personal vulnerabilities.

I hope AD Glass (or one of his aides) in the AD Information Office takes note of this. The unprofessional behavior by an Indiana University coach attempting to intimidate and ridicule a member of the press into silence does not represent the education we received at IU and ought should not be tolerated, particularly by those Crean answers to.

Mr. Glass, please take the necessary action to correct this lamentable behavior. It is your responsibility. I apologize to Mr. Dopirak, in the name of IU alumni, for this embarrassing episode.

Crean, you should always answer legitimate queries from the press with respect and due professionalism.

I didn’t create the uproar. Unlike some that jumped to immense conclusions of an attempt at intimidation, I offered alternative explanations to Crean’s reactions.
And let’s also keep in mind that when Crean asks Dustin if he is sure he has nothing else to add, Dustin’s “no” response has the smartypants tone of a 6th-grader being caught red-handed making faces at the teacher. Tsao played off of that reaction to assume Dustin was being “intimidated.” I investigated the alternative possibility that Dustin was (a)disgusted with Crean’s response and purposefully sending him body language/facial expression communicating that feeling, or (b)showing obvious frustration with the answer while not making direct eye contact with Crean.

I quelled the uproar by stumbling into the truth. Dustin confirmed that there was justification for Crean’s actions. Did I ever accuse Dustin, while out of view the scrutiny of a camera lens, of trying to purposefully incite the coach into acting like an a$$ in public? I did not. Nor did I accuse Dustin of being unprofessional. What I did offer was a valid alternative the Dustin/Crean exchange to counter the drastic words asking for drastic measures found in the above excerpt a most esteemed blogger of Scoop.

As I said before, read the read the response from Tsao. Does that sound like a reaction to something he believed to be “mundane?”

I was only Harvard that made it mundane by way of keen perceptions to the language not always found in words. Go to other sites…Tsao was not alone. There were many taking shots at Crean for his actions in the press room. I’m not so naive to think it’s only coaches that attempt to intimidate. There was baiting go on in that room. You’ve talked about being careful to not take bait, Chet. Crean’s reaction to Dustin was being billed as a “gotcha moment” when it was anything but. He was reacting to silent intimidation and calling someone out for doing so. It had nothing to do with a coach creating an aura in the room and with the press that he is above their questions and untouchable.

There was plenty going on in that room. And there was plenty going on in the long wait between accusations(as in the example I provided above)and Dustin’s confession his “smirk” message sent to Crean. Dustin wouldn’t break his silence and apologize if not for his conscience to explain that the portrayals in the specific instance at hand were skewed in untruths.

Ron
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 10:46 AM EDT

Interview sequence that hit the cutting room floor.??
Dustin (D) and Coach Crean (C)..

(D)…Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, you have so much going on. (C)….It’s my pleasure Darwin. (D) It’s Dustin. (C)….I know you from somewhere. I recognize that look on your face. (D). What is the plan for Penn State? (C)….Now I know they are listed at something like #200+, but we’re going to be ready. We are focused, have had good practice. I mean brutal practice. The guys are talking on defence and are locked-in. We need to be because Penn State is hungry….Darwin, thats a cue. (D) What? (C). Cue to run my Subway spot. (D) I’m sorry. We don’t do ads. (C) I brought a copy of it. Splice it in here. I thought you guys were a cheap operation. I was ready.

(C)…Ok Dean, anymore questions? (D)….Uh, it’s Dustin. Half-time has been a issue. Any thought on that?
(C) We’ve solved that. (D)…. Uhh. Care to tell us?
(C)….It was a simple adjustment. All of the guys have some degree of allergies. Seems that at the half they would come in and complain of sniffles. We’ve stopped the Benedryl at the break. You’ll see a big change in energy during the second half.

(D)…How much improvement must this team have to reach the NCAA? (C) well Dave, on a scale of one to 10, I would say 6″. (D)….6″? (C)….That was a cue to run my new Subway 6″ special. It’s on the tape I brought. Splice it in here.

(D)…Realistically, how far is this team going in the NCAA tourney? (C)….Let me tell you Dan. We will be going all the way. (D)….Wow. And you think that because …? (C)….Brother-In-Laws. I mean they are playing in the big game. I need to get at least to the final 4. Otherwise I’ll be toast in the family. You know, the under-achiever of the family.

(D)….Back to Penn State. You feel comfortable calling a win? (D) Drex, we are going to chew this team up and spit them out. They won’t know what hit them. (D)….Now that is confidence. (C)….No, that was a cue in for my new gum commercial. (D)….OK. Splice it, right.? (C)…You’re catching on Drake. You may have a future in this business. Are we done?

(D) One more question Coach. What has been going on with Hulls. Missing shots. Not like him. (C)…Took some time but that issue is now solved. (D) Can you be specific coach? (C)…After film session reviews we found a stunning blond sitting in the student section. Poor Jordy would get the ball, eye the rim and see the blond. (D)…And you fixed it? (C)….Her tickets were revolked.

(D)…Two more questions. Why was Jordy having a problem getting the ball across the ten-second line last game? (C)….That was a problem. Again, we reviewed the tape and found that blond was sitting at center court. She was distracting. (D)…..And? (C). You just never stop asking question Darell. We’ve arrainged for her to transfer. (D)…Thats big. Where too? (C)….Spain.

(C) One more question Dick. I’ve got to get back. (D) Any concerns about the play of Cody and Vic? (C)…Don’t worry about them. They will be multi-millionaires next year.

(D)….Thanks for the time Coach and good luck against Penn State…..(C) It’s been my pleasure Darwood. You’ve got that look on your face again.

Ron
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:37 AM EDT

that is so sick. where in the worl do you dig this stuff up

Lord of the Smirk
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:50 AM EDT

Patrick ‘Ron’ Cox introduces us to Rufus.

Ron
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:54 AM EDT

cool. explains the voices I keep hearing

Ron
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 1:29 PM EDT

good job clean-up crew.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 5:12 PM EDT

Post #22 is such a sad and pathetic statement to the unfair characterizations of a coach.

Much like the characterization that was occurring at a press conference as facts were being withheld, silence to explanations were being favored to add to the manufacturing of a persona, instead of the fairness that could have been pursued in the objective, honest, view the participants in the exchanges.

Mundane it was. Mundane as the contagion that finds an unrefined and menial home in such mockery and cynicism. Mundane as the evaporation of decency and simple attempts at moral behavior. Mundane as gotcha moments and unjust insinuations used to create portrayals of ignorance. How lonely and insecure his world to desire such a sorry ambition.

Indiana Basketball’s resurgence is their true enemy posing outside the view a camera pointing back at a smirk or the cute masquerade party behind a revolving door of screen names a Hoosier sports blog. Brick by brick they attempt to tear us down, jealous of something between Hoosier fan and Hoosier team in their cynical world never found..This is the home of their sabotage and treason they so desire a clean-up crew for everything but the bed of muck and mockery their constant ripping at the innocence the untarnished Hoosier heart forever bonded to belief in the candy-stripes; hiding in the perverse shadows they feed as vultures behind the screens and behind the professions their uncouth intent.

All so very mundane indeed their obsession to corrupt something pure..No real weapons their own character they doodle in the dark and fester in the well their own envy and insecurities. It’s never the right coach..It’s never the right defense..It’s never the right scholarship offered..It’s never the needed toughness under our Hoosier jersey..It’s never the proper effort…It’s never talent we claim we bring..It’s never deserving the ranking…Those five banners are a mirage and our traditions and simple love for it all is a hoax they live to unveil. The Establishment.

Ron
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 6:09 PM EDT

D***. That was mudane…It was muck…It was mockery…It was perverse….It was uncouth…..It was embarrassment (I love that last word. Good as M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I.)

Perfect example of attempted humor gone bad. Sick.Unjust.

Otherwise, what did you think.? I thought it was pretty good for early morning & off the top of my head. Not 1 smile or smirk?

Ron
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 6:24 PM EDT

Just want to say post #22 was not me.

But it was funny as hell and I am going to sue the guy who posted it for excessive brilliance.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 6:39 PM EDT

Not bad, FC2013…Not bad at all. Then again, Donald Trump, Gene Keady, and Howard Cosell have found many a brilliant dressing of the mundane fly off the top of the head in an early morning breeze.

I did enjoy the many names beginning with ‘D’…No Dudley(Eric Gordon’s nickname), Doolittle, Dirk, Dante, Delray(Delray Brooks!..Michigan City Rogers!), Damion, or Dale? Downing would have been fun.

Personally, I would have preferred the last blunder of Dustin’s name to not begin with a ‘D.’ …..I would have gone with “It’s been my pleasure, Fish.”

Podunker
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 7:20 PM EDT

Laffy, the last time someone called me names like you did in #18, she was in second grade. Based on your discourse,it appears that you have that same level of intellect and maturity. I try not to read your comments, but they’re like pot holes on a road in Kentucky. It’s almost impossible to avoid them all.

Lord of the Overrated Leprechaun
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 7:25 PM EDT

“…but they’re like pot holes on a road in Kentucky. It’s almost impossible to avoid them all.”

Comments