Reports: Austrailian guard taking official to Indiana

16 comments by   |   Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 4:59 pm EDT

According to several reports, including this one by Zach Osterman of Inside Indiana/247Sports.com, Dante Exum, a 6-foot-5 point guard from New South Wales in Australia, will take an official visit to Indiana this weekend.

Exum’s father, Cecil Exum, played at North Carolina with Michael Jordan and played overseas, eventually settling down in Australia. He is considered a Top 25 player in the Class of 2014 by both Rivals.com and Inside Indiana.com.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Ferrell, Robinson enter pretrial diversion program
Mosquera-Perea reaches plea agreement for OWI arrest
CBS to carry a pair of Indiana basketball games #iubb
Big Ten Network to broadcast 17 Indiana basketball games
Guyton writes open letter to Knight, asks him to return to IU
Wang Wang
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 9:10 PM EDT

Dustin, do you know if Peegs has this story?

I am Wang Wang.

Ben
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:16 PM EDT

How about we just focus on players in this country. When Crean recruits out of country, seems something always happens. Not being shallow. I believe in chances.

Punjab
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:47 PM EDT

Why not recruit abroad? From what far corner of the Earth did we snag Ivan Renko?

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:23 AM EDT

Ben…must be them f’erners! Come on, until yesterday you appeared to be an intelligent thinker about basketball, now you turn into a ‘supreme supremacist?’

Headline writer, edit…Australian is not written as Austrailian, the first ‘i’ is one too many. Aus-tra-lian.

GooFy Dave
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:25 AM EDT

McRobbie better pull some strings here to land this recruit.

I hope the guy is as good as Patty Mills.

Chet
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:35 AM EDT

Small world. I once dated a girl from Young, New South Wales. She’s a pharmacist in Sidney now.

I have some Kiwi (New Zealand) friends I get together with for motorcycling. They come to WNC for kayaking competitions, which is how I met them. They have told me that, in both Autralia and New Zealand that it’s considered somewhat bad form to draw attention to oneself. This applies to most facets of life. As a result, unlike the US, kids do not commonly try to become star individual athletes as we commonly expect here. It somewhat goes against their nature. Those that are successful, be it in sport, business, whatever, are expected to be dismissive of their own success. The expression they use is something about ‘the nail that sticks up is the one that likely gets pounded’ or something to that effect. Of course, the Olympics have shown us that lots of swimmers are getting past that custom. If you listen to their interviews, though, you can sometimes pick up on it.

Isn’t that a heck of a note?

Mike P.
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:19 AM EDT

Punjab,

Ivsn was from Yugoslavia. My dad still has an “I had lunch with Ivan Renko” t-shirt.

Mike P.
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:21 AM EDT

Ivan*, I missed my typo!

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:34 AM EDT

I do not see Ben’s comment as the slant of a supreme supremacist. He simply hinted at the outcomes of recruiting Tijan and Bawa. His thoughts are no different than IU fans who believe Indiana HS ballers should be IU’s 1st recruiting priority.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:36 AM EDT

Does he go to the hoop like the Thorpedo exploded into the 50 meter?

He appears long and skilled, but I don’t see any explosiveness. He may be substantially taller and more versatile than VJIII, but the long scooping/swooping extension on the drive is a mirror image..I don’t care how tall you are, if you’re not explosively quick, that stuff will get swatted away by a help defender. The game is very fast here. Unless you’re big enough to shoot over most defenders, speed is first on my checklist…

Hell, I don’t know. Maybe he’s the next Bobby Wilkerson. Maybe he’s the next himself.. Wilkerson never appeared super explosive…more of a crafty quickness to go along with the length he added to the backcourt. Sly spurts of speed with a bit of “Sleepy” Floyd deception..

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:44 AM EDT

Anyone want Wilkerson highlights(start at 1:24 mark)?

Ben
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:58 PM EDT

Tsao,

HC hit my comment right on the money. I am all for giving chances. All I am saying is our recent attempts of recruiting abroad have been just short of a disaster. Something always seems to happen. If we can’t get what we want in the state of Indiana, then recruit outside Indiana. If you can’t get what you want in the United States, then look abroad. This kid looks to be good. I don’t deny that. Just I hope if we pick him up, we cross all the t’s and dot all of the I’s before we are disappointed again.

Mr B
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:12 PM EDT

Hanner and Peter sure were a disappointment.

Chet
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:52 PM EDT

I doubt there’s a coach on the team that thinks Hanner is a ‘disappointment’. Peter is probably about where they expected him to be after, what, 5 or 6 games? They also planned, I’m sure, to get him a whole lot more game experience before getting into Big Ten competition.

Ron
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 4:03 PM EDT

I think you are more of a disappointment Mr.B
than Hanner and Peter.

Geoff
Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 3:53 PM EDT

Saint Mary’s and Gonzaga have been recruiting kids from Australia for a couple decades without any repercussions I’m aware of…

Harvard – if you don’t see explosiveness I don’t know what to tell you. He is 17 yrs old in these highlights. There are a few 2-handed dunks. He doesn’t have the strength yet to go over someone and dunk on top of them (a la Dipo), but he can finish a dunk with bodies around him. Something I never once saw VJ do at any age. I saw him go way up to finish an alley-oop in the halfcourt offense during one of the games I watched.

He’s not a powerful athlete, but he definitely doesn’t lack explosion…

Comments

• Football. #IUFB Players of the Game: Missouri - Twelve total Hoosiers were recognized on offense, defense, special teams and scout teams for helping Indiana pull off a 31-27 win at Missouri last
  • W. Golf. Individuals Compete at Cardinal Classic - The Indiana women's golf team sent four individuals to compete at the 36-hole Cardinal Classic, hosted by Ball State at The Players Club in Yorktown,
  • Hoosier Newsstand, Sep. 23 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Around the Midlands: A&M's WR targets - Christian Kirk is one wideout Texas A&M is focused on. Get news on the Aggies, Tyron Johnson, Josh Wariboko, Oklahoma and
  • The Inside the Hall Mailbag: September 23 -

The Inside the Hall Mailbag is a collection of questions tweeted to us via Twitter (@insidethehall), submitted on our premium forum and sent to us via our Facebook page.

• 2014-2015 ITH season preview: Iowa Hawkeyes -

With the start of college basketball season on the horizon, we’ll be taking a long look at the conference at large as well as Indiana’s roster over the next month. Today,

• Q&A: Catching up with Max Hoetzel - Indiana freshman Max Hoetzel sat down with IUHoosiers.com this week to talk about his early adjustments to
  • Mosquera-Perea to do community service - Hanner Mosquera-Perea has accepted a plea agreement stemming from his February arrest for
  • Indiana Football is ALSO RECEIVING VOTES