Reports: Austrailian guard taking official to Indiana

16 comments by   |   Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 4:59 pm EDT

According to several reports, including this one by Zach Osterman of Inside Indiana/247Sports.com, Dante Exum, a 6-foot-5 point guard from New South Wales in Australia, will take an official visit to Indiana this weekend.

Exum’s father, Cecil Exum, played at North Carolina with Michael Jordan and played overseas, eventually settling down in Australia. He is considered a Top 25 player in the Class of 2014 by both Rivals.com and Inside Indiana.com.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Report: Sheehey signs with team in Montenegro ... or not
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Wang Wang
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 9:10 PM EDT

Dustin, do you know if Peegs has this story?

I am Wang Wang.

Ben
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:16 PM EDT

How about we just focus on players in this country. When Crean recruits out of country, seems something always happens. Not being shallow. I believe in chances.

Punjab
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:47 PM EDT

Why not recruit abroad? From what far corner of the Earth did we snag Ivan Renko?

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:23 AM EDT

Ben…must be them f’erners! Come on, until yesterday you appeared to be an intelligent thinker about basketball, now you turn into a ‘supreme supremacist?’

Headline writer, edit…Australian is not written as Austrailian, the first ‘i’ is one too many. Aus-tra-lian.

GooFy Dave
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:25 AM EDT

McRobbie better pull some strings here to land this recruit.

I hope the guy is as good as Patty Mills.

Chet
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:35 AM EDT

Small world. I once dated a girl from Young, New South Wales. She’s a pharmacist in Sidney now.

I have some Kiwi (New Zealand) friends I get together with for motorcycling. They come to WNC for kayaking competitions, which is how I met them. They have told me that, in both Autralia and New Zealand that it’s considered somewhat bad form to draw attention to oneself. This applies to most facets of life. As a result, unlike the US, kids do not commonly try to become star individual athletes as we commonly expect here. It somewhat goes against their nature. Those that are successful, be it in sport, business, whatever, are expected to be dismissive of their own success. The expression they use is something about ‘the nail that sticks up is the one that likely gets pounded’ or something to that effect. Of course, the Olympics have shown us that lots of swimmers are getting past that custom. If you listen to their interviews, though, you can sometimes pick up on it.

Isn’t that a heck of a note?

Mike P.
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:19 AM EDT

Punjab,

Ivsn was from Yugoslavia. My dad still has an “I had lunch with Ivan Renko” t-shirt.

Mike P.
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:21 AM EDT

Ivan*, I missed my typo!

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:34 AM EDT

I do not see Ben’s comment as the slant of a supreme supremacist. He simply hinted at the outcomes of recruiting Tijan and Bawa. His thoughts are no different than IU fans who believe Indiana HS ballers should be IU’s 1st recruiting priority.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:36 AM EDT

Does he go to the hoop like the Thorpedo exploded into the 50 meter?

He appears long and skilled, but I don’t see any explosiveness. He may be substantially taller and more versatile than VJIII, but the long scooping/swooping extension on the drive is a mirror image..I don’t care how tall you are, if you’re not explosively quick, that stuff will get swatted away by a help defender. The game is very fast here. Unless you’re big enough to shoot over most defenders, speed is first on my checklist…

Hell, I don’t know. Maybe he’s the next Bobby Wilkerson. Maybe he’s the next himself.. Wilkerson never appeared super explosive…more of a crafty quickness to go along with the length he added to the backcourt. Sly spurts of speed with a bit of “Sleepy” Floyd deception..

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:44 AM EDT

Anyone want Wilkerson highlights(start at 1:24 mark)?

Ben
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:58 PM EDT

Tsao,

HC hit my comment right on the money. I am all for giving chances. All I am saying is our recent attempts of recruiting abroad have been just short of a disaster. Something always seems to happen. If we can’t get what we want in the state of Indiana, then recruit outside Indiana. If you can’t get what you want in the United States, then look abroad. This kid looks to be good. I don’t deny that. Just I hope if we pick him up, we cross all the t’s and dot all of the I’s before we are disappointed again.

Mr B
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:12 PM EDT

Hanner and Peter sure were a disappointment.

Chet
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:52 PM EDT

I doubt there’s a coach on the team that thinks Hanner is a ‘disappointment’. Peter is probably about where they expected him to be after, what, 5 or 6 games? They also planned, I’m sure, to get him a whole lot more game experience before getting into Big Ten competition.

Ron
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 4:03 PM EDT

I think you are more of a disappointment Mr.B
than Hanner and Peter.

Geoff
Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 3:53 PM EDT

Saint Mary’s and Gonzaga have been recruiting kids from Australia for a couple decades without any repercussions I’m aware of…

Harvard – if you don’t see explosiveness I don’t know what to tell you. He is 17 yrs old in these highlights. There are a few 2-handed dunks. He doesn’t have the strength yet to go over someone and dunk on top of them (a la Dipo), but he can finish a dunk with bodies around him. Something I never once saw VJ do at any age. I saw him go way up to finish an alley-oop in the halfcourt offense during one of the games I watched.

He’s not a powerful athlete, but he definitely doesn’t lack explosion…

Comments

• M. Swimming. Marchuk, Meet Record Lead Day 3 at Junior Nationals - A fourth-place finish in the 400 freestyle from sophomore Stephanie Marchuk and a meet record in the men's 800 freestyle relay highlighted day three of action for Indiana Swimming
  • W. Swimming. Marchuk, Meet Record Lead Day 3 at Junior Nationals - A fourth-place finish in the 400 freestyle from sophomore Stephanie Marchuk and a meet record in the men's 800 freestyle relay highlighted day three of action for Indiana Swimming
  • Leaf plans to cut list soon - One of Indiana's top recruiting targets plans to cut his list soon. See what 6-foot-10 forward T.J. Leaf has planned as far as cutting
  • Mitchell trims list to 10 - Four-star guard Donovan Mitchell has added some big offers, but now he has trimmed his list to 10, with more cuts
  • Juwan Morgan, Shake Milton set date for official visit to Indiana -

Two of Indiana’s top recruiting targets for the class of 2015 will take official visits to campus together this fall. Waynesville (Mo.) forward Juwan Morgan and Owasso

• Report: Will Sheehey to play professionally in Montenegro -

It appears that former Indiana forward Will Sheehey has found a home for his first season of professional basketball. Sheehey will join KK Buducnost of the Adriatic League in

• Highlights: 2016 guard Kyle Guy - Courtesy of IA Elites, watch some highlights of 2016 guard and Indiana target Kyle
  • VIDEO: Juwan Morgan July Highlights - Here are some highlights of 2015 forward Juwan Morgan from the month of
  • Quarry Q&A with Dustin Dopirak, Outgoing Herald-Times IU Athletics Reporter