Reports: Austrailian guard taking official to Indiana

16 comments by   |   Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 4:59 pm EDT

According to several reports, including this one by Zach Osterman of Inside Indiana/247Sports.com, Dante Exum, a 6-foot-5 point guard from New South Wales in Australia, will take an official visit to Indiana this weekend.

Exum’s father, Cecil Exum, played at North Carolina with Michael Jordan and played overseas, eventually settling down in Australia. He is considered a Top 25 player in the Class of 2014 by both Rivals.com and Inside Indiana.com.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Hoosier Hysteria set for Oct. 25
IU basketball releases full non-conference schedule
When Max Hoetzel was a Globetrotter, albeit the tiniest one
IU makes Emmitt Holt signing official
Emmitt Holt's high school coach compares him to Draymond Green
Wang Wang
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 9:10 PM EDT

Dustin, do you know if Peegs has this story?

I am Wang Wang.

Ben
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:16 PM EDT

How about we just focus on players in this country. When Crean recruits out of country, seems something always happens. Not being shallow. I believe in chances.

Punjab
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 11:47 PM EDT

Why not recruit abroad? From what far corner of the Earth did we snag Ivan Renko?

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:23 AM EDT

Ben…must be them f’erners! Come on, until yesterday you appeared to be an intelligent thinker about basketball, now you turn into a ‘supreme supremacist?’

Headline writer, edit…Australian is not written as Austrailian, the first ‘i’ is one too many. Aus-tra-lian.

GooFy Dave
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:25 AM EDT

McRobbie better pull some strings here to land this recruit.

I hope the guy is as good as Patty Mills.

Chet
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:35 AM EDT

Small world. I once dated a girl from Young, New South Wales. She’s a pharmacist in Sidney now.

I have some Kiwi (New Zealand) friends I get together with for motorcycling. They come to WNC for kayaking competitions, which is how I met them. They have told me that, in both Autralia and New Zealand that it’s considered somewhat bad form to draw attention to oneself. This applies to most facets of life. As a result, unlike the US, kids do not commonly try to become star individual athletes as we commonly expect here. It somewhat goes against their nature. Those that are successful, be it in sport, business, whatever, are expected to be dismissive of their own success. The expression they use is something about ‘the nail that sticks up is the one that likely gets pounded’ or something to that effect. Of course, the Olympics have shown us that lots of swimmers are getting past that custom. If you listen to their interviews, though, you can sometimes pick up on it.

Isn’t that a heck of a note?

Mike P.
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:19 AM EDT

Punjab,

Ivsn was from Yugoslavia. My dad still has an “I had lunch with Ivan Renko” t-shirt.

Mike P.
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:21 AM EDT

Ivan*, I missed my typo!

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:34 AM EDT

I do not see Ben’s comment as the slant of a supreme supremacist. He simply hinted at the outcomes of recruiting Tijan and Bawa. His thoughts are no different than IU fans who believe Indiana HS ballers should be IU’s 1st recruiting priority.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:36 AM EDT

Does he go to the hoop like the Thorpedo exploded into the 50 meter?

He appears long and skilled, but I don’t see any explosiveness. He may be substantially taller and more versatile than VJIII, but the long scooping/swooping extension on the drive is a mirror image..I don’t care how tall you are, if you’re not explosively quick, that stuff will get swatted away by a help defender. The game is very fast here. Unless you’re big enough to shoot over most defenders, speed is first on my checklist…

Hell, I don’t know. Maybe he’s the next Bobby Wilkerson. Maybe he’s the next himself.. Wilkerson never appeared super explosive…more of a crafty quickness to go along with the length he added to the backcourt. Sly spurts of speed with a bit of “Sleepy” Floyd deception..

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:44 AM EDT

Anyone want Wilkerson highlights(start at 1:24 mark)?

Ben
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:58 PM EDT

Tsao,

HC hit my comment right on the money. I am all for giving chances. All I am saying is our recent attempts of recruiting abroad have been just short of a disaster. Something always seems to happen. If we can’t get what we want in the state of Indiana, then recruit outside Indiana. If you can’t get what you want in the United States, then look abroad. This kid looks to be good. I don’t deny that. Just I hope if we pick him up, we cross all the t’s and dot all of the I’s before we are disappointed again.

Mr B
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:12 PM EDT

Hanner and Peter sure were a disappointment.

Chet
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:52 PM EDT

I doubt there’s a coach on the team that thinks Hanner is a ‘disappointment’. Peter is probably about where they expected him to be after, what, 5 or 6 games? They also planned, I’m sure, to get him a whole lot more game experience before getting into Big Ten competition.

Ron
Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 4:03 PM EDT

I think you are more of a disappointment Mr.B
than Hanner and Peter.

Geoff
Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 3:53 PM EDT

Saint Mary’s and Gonzaga have been recruiting kids from Australia for a couple decades without any repercussions I’m aware of…

Harvard – if you don’t see explosiveness I don’t know what to tell you. He is 17 yrs old in these highlights. There are a few 2-handed dunks. He doesn’t have the strength yet to go over someone and dunk on top of them (a la Dipo), but he can finish a dunk with bodies around him. Something I never once saw VJ do at any age. I saw him go way up to finish an alley-oop in the halfcourt offense during one of the games I watched.

He’s not a powerful athlete, but he definitely doesn’t lack explosion…

Comments

• Football. Number Crunching: #IUFB Game One - A look behind the numbers and notes that helped Indiana improve to 1-0 following a 28-10 win in week one vs. Indiana State at Memorial
  • W. Soccer. Ellis Elevates Hoosiers To OT Win - Sophomore Veronica Ellis worked her late-game magic for the Hoosiers tallying the winning goal in the 99th minute to give Indiana the 2-1 win at the Auburn University Soccer
  • Oladipo declares for the NBA - Indiana junior Victor Oladipo this afternoon announced he will be going to the NBA. IU coach Tom Crean
  • Video: Victor Oladipo headed to NBA - Earlier this afternoon Indiana junior Victor Oladipo joined head coach Tom Crean at Assembly Hall to
  • Juwan Morgan moves up official visit to Indiana -

Class of 2015 Waynesville (Mo.) forward Juwan Morgan, who had been scheduled to take an official visit to Bloomington later this month, has moved the visit up to this weekend.

• A closer look at Indiana’s non-conference schedule -

In case you missed it, Indiana announced its entire 2014-2015 schedule on Friday evening, including its 13-game non-conference slate. Now that we know each opponent, here’s a

• Indiana announces date for Hoosier Hysteria - Hoosier Hysteria is set for Saturday, Oct. 25, the school announced Saturday. More
  • Freshman April in walking boot - Freshman center Jeremiah April was in a walking boot Saturday at Memorial
  • Juwan Morgan Reconfigures His Visit Schedule