Hoosier Morning

1. HOOSIERS HQ
Indiana football fans should be excited about the future with a better-than-usual recruiting class set to sign on Wednesday, Andy writes.

The Hoosier basketball team reclaimed the No. 1 ranking for the first time in nearly two months Monday, Dustin wrote.

2. IT’S INDIANA
IU’s Will Sheehey is still trying to prove he’s not the last man on the middle school team, Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star writes.

A short night in New Orleans preceded a short flight home for Indiana coach Tom Crean, Eric Prisbell of USA Today writes.

Evansville’s Maura Muensterman became the latest commitment for the IU women’s basketball recruiting class of 2014, Gordon Engelhardt of the Evansville Courier & Press wrote.

In case you missed it Saturday, Bob Knight took a shot at the “Fab Five,” SI.com’s FanNation blog notes.

Maurice Creek recently changed his number to 22, as did IU recruit Stan Robinson, in memory of Jamar Board, whose tragic tale is chronicled by the Washington Post’s Alex Prewitt.

3. BIG TEN COUNTRY
Illinois’ season is fading fast, making Thursday’s game with IU a critical one, Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo! Sports writes.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
On the occasion of the No. 1 ranking, “One Thing” by Finger Eleven.

• Ron says:

Bob Knight SI mention. Tried to read it but as always, got lost in the swimsuit photo’s. Probably just as well

• Laffy says:

Crean is going to be on Jim Rome’s radio show in a half hour.

• Podunker says:

Just finished watching the MI – OSU game. Wow, the refs were pathetic during the last two minutes of overtime. I could’ve cared less who wins that game, but the refs screwed OSU in a big way. That was grand theft. Craft was clearly and obviously fouled on his last two shot attempts and no fouls were called. These refs were complete cowards, clearly turning a blind eye in favor of the home team. It was almost as if Burke knew he could do anything and that it would not be called. That was the worst case of home cooking I’ve seen in a long time. Craft gets fouled from behind and no call. Then, on his last drive to the basket, to tie the game again, he gets hammered, and again no call.

Those refs should be suspended and fined. That was a travesty, and the Big Ten should be embarrassed. Credit to OSU’s coach for keeping his composure, because a lot of coaches would have exploded, and rightfully so. Even the ESPN commentators, normally loath to criticize, said that the refs should have called those fouls.

• Geoff says:

Po – I set my DVR to record an extra 15 minutes, but of course with OT that didn’t cover it… So I missed the last 33 seconds and both plays you’re talking about.

🙁

But remember the mantra around here – the refs don’t effect the outcome.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Possibly 3 missed calls. The other was the Craft foul on Hardaway. It would have been a flagrant earlier in the game. Been nice for IU if OSU had pulled that win off.

• J Pat says:

Po, I so agree with all you say. This is part of the reason I got out of coaching…you work your tail off and to have refs dictate the outcome of games is a killer. You have people that will say…you should not have put yourself in the situation for that to happen but come on…the refs have gotten worse in the past several years because most are allowed to have 2nd jobs and are tired! These guys at the college and pro level make a lot of money and I mean a lot! We watched the whistle get swallowed at the end of the super bowl and last night and I had no dog in the fight at all. It is so sad and I don’t know a solution?!

• Scooter says:

J Pat I absolutely agree with your comment. Officials have become merely competition judges. They do not officiate as dictated by a rule book, they simply use their biased judgement as to whether THEY think an infraction has occured. This is not solely an NCAA problem, I’ve watched this occur in HS games throughout Indiana for the past several seasons.

Obviously the santictioning bodies feel there is no solution needed. From there lack of improvement or change signals to me they think that this is the way the game is to be played.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

J Pat, we all know how to solve it. But until people are put in place with the rocks to fire a ref’s ass the morning after he places that part of his anatomy in the cross hairs things will remain in the status quo. I think you, the ex-coach, turned ref could make a difference, at least locally. Think about it. Extra cash and much less time consuming than coaching.

• bart295 says:

I would love to see an article in some large publication about how the current refs are graded, if they continue their education through clinics or workshops, and if college conferences train and recruit young refs.
    I also wonder if the days of the 3 ref rotation is over, seems to me that a 4 ref rotation makes more sence with the speed of the game and the size of its players.

• Chet says:

J Pat, I know an orthopaedic surgeon/sports medicine doc who makes a ton (cavorts around in his helicopter). He also officiates a good bit, I think mostly SEC football. I recently learned he’s dropping the medicine gig to officiate ‘full time’ (whatever that means).

• Phirebird says:

Technically, had the officials not given Craft the 3 pointer after the shot clock expired earlier in the game, OSU wouldn’t have made it to overtime for the officials to botch the last few calls. Overall the officials mistakes did not affect the legitimate outcome which would have been UM winning the game in regulation in a mistake free world

• Ron says:

All the above. I have vague memories of playing this game way back in the 50’s. If you touched another player you were called on it. (back in the time of under-handed free throws). Called today, would that return BB to scores of 20-18?

Never coached or ref’ed a game. I do have a compulsive need to watch. First weekend of the NCAA tourney I normally get a motel room to insure I watch as many games as possible without interuption.

Question for those who have ref’ed. Why are moving screens no longer called. Why is a “touch” called in the backcourt and assault/battery not called in the paint. Why are the games called differently in the second half? Or overtime?

I guess not to interfer with the flow-of-the-game? Same with excessive use of re-play. Had a friend in Florida who was attempting the use of a suit with sensors to record violations and calibrated to the intensity of the foul. Calls would then come from the sideline ref. He was not able to make the suit cost-effective. And the question of “self inflicted” fouls.

My brain often goes to the conspiracy therapy as I watch some games. No foul to beat the points line or visa-vers?. Especially after the recent soccer headlines. Game last year. Line was 9 points. Favored team ahead by 8 points. Favored team holding ball with zilch time left than scores at the last second, giving them a win by 10 points.

But my worse fear is College BB edging closer to NBA caliper.

• Punjab says:

So where are the replacement refs going to come from every time one’s fired for making a borderline bad call? Or no call? Is the Big Ten going to call some new guy up from the HorizonLeague? And then who does he Horizon League replace that guy with? DIVISION II? High school? And then from what pool do we fill those bottom ranks? With potential refs that have even less knowledge and experience than the guy who was just upgraded– or fired– a few days ago? Who was also just hired a few days before that?

Or are the high schools and small conference just going to pony up the extra money for full-time, qualified refs? You know, the ones who are guaranteed to catch everything and make all the right calls, every time. And what department’s budget is that money going to come from. Athletic? So which non-money making program will lose out on that money? Tennis? Swimming? Women’s soccer? Or is is coming out of the Math department’s budget? Or hiring less teachers? Who’s going to lose out because some feel that student-athletes need professional-grade referees.

So many of you seem to think that there’s some simple explanation for everything. But this is yet another situation where the solution is much more complex than a few angry fans are willing to acknowledge. Bad calls were made, sure. And they will be again. But unless you come up with a viable plan to fix the situation, all you’re doing is complaining.

• Punjab says:

I should’ve said ” all WE’RE doing is complaining.” I’m guilty, too, and not proud of it. But I’m at a loss as to how we fix it. Or just come to accept it.

• Laffy says:

I see more whining about “moving screens” than everything else combined.

And yet, when Knight was coach, I saw countless complaints from other schools about OUR moving screens and IU fans just HEAPED praise on Bobby.

So, why weren’t they called back then or why was it ok when our team did them?

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Punjab, I am not complaining at all, I offered the solution. The B1G fires the worst 4 refs today and tonight even the best 4 will perform better. You do not have to fire 1 a day. As far as “supply”, supply comes from need. When was the last time 1 of these underachievers got fired. The blown calls increase every year with the present status quo. Complaining is offering no solution.

• Ron says:

that’s my point Laffy

• Bart295 says:

I’m a HS baseball/softball umpire and I will tell you that we constantly work on our game. We go to clinics, seminars, and workshops all with the intent on getting better at our craft. If I want to work the sectionals I must take an extra test and I must have a grade from the schools I have worked with high enough to qualify for the tourny.
    I do these things for the young athletes and for the integrity of the game itself. I get paid $60 per game for my services. BUT I have to take of early from work, buy my own gear, pay for the gas to get to and from, and dress in the parking lot. Why? Because I love the game and want make sure the contests are played in a fair and sportsmanlike manner.

Does the B1G grade their officials?
    Does the B1G have a young pool of officials that are waiting in the wings?
    Do the officials go to workshops or clinics to hone their craft?
    Less experience is not always a bad thing. Do you think that the B1G officials are the best out there? Do you think there could be others that could take their place? I would venture to say that their are 100’s of guys that could and would do a far better job. Do you think the guy flying the jetliner taking you to Florida is the only guy able to do that specific job? Brain surgery this is not!
    Competition breeds a excellence and if a Ted V or Ed H thought they may have to compete every year to keep their job then we might see a better product.

• Punjab says:

Bart, it’s been a while since I’ve taken statistics, and i’ve never officiated anything besides intramural softball and my daughter’s tee-ball games, so i may be a little out of my league here. But I’m having trouble seeing how those stats prove or disprove anybody’s point. Correct me if I’m wrong, but to me it just speaks to the amount of fouls a ref is calling. Not the quality of the calls they’re making. And where would that chart place the non-call on Craft’s potential flagrant foul? By the rule book it probably should have been called, but when common sense is applied he clearly wasn’t headhunting. How many basketball fans across the nation would be screaming for heads if they’d charged Craft with that flagrant and in effect handed Michigan the win?

• Punjab says:

And HC, what does “perform better” mean? Does that mean sticking to the rule book hard and fast? Being able to adapt to the style of play? Being consistent with your calls?

And should refs be crucified if throughout the game they consistently let the players play it out, then they make the same call and it just so happens to be the deciding play of the game? If 4 refs were fired from the OSU-Mich game last night, tonight’s games will surely be called very tightly to compensate for fear of their jobs. Too tightly. That second-to-last foul on craft– where Burke seemed to swat him from behind– could have easily gone either way. Do we want to watch Big Ten games where every one of those ticky-tack fouls are called?

• Bart295 says:

I didn’t put the chart up to prove or disprove anything. I just put it up to show what the B1G has on it’s website about officials. Your point is well taken. The chart proves my point about the limited information given about officials. I would love to know more about the internal process the B1G uses when evaluating and grooming new officials.

• Laffy says:

All I ask from refs is that they are consistent.

I’ve seen us called for ticky-tack stuff then watch our guys get literally bowled over and nothing called.

And it wasn’t “Duke-flopping”, they were knocked on their butts while standing still.

• Punjab says:

That makes two of us, Bart. Thanks for sharing.

And Laffy, I prefer the term “Kentucky-flopping.” But I guess they’re interchangeable.

• Laffy says:

Ever see this video on Dook’s flops?

• Punjab says:

Nice. But I didn’t see any red jersey’s with he name Evans, Berggren, or Dekker on the back. Wrong team?

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

• RAM:

Troy's decision making process has always been in question. Apparently [...]

• t:

M.B. legacy is recognized for his accomplishments that were about as e [...]

• t:

M.B. should be a sinful word @ IU. Talking about a wolf in sheep's cl [...]

• WaltD:

Lydia, I agree. The cream always rises to the top. How fortunate Yog [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

If the employers name did not have NCAA attached it would be a $220k j [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

You need to spend some time digesting the bios of Wilson and his staff [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies: