Hoosier Morning

11 comments by   |   Friday, February 8, 2013 - 9:52 am EDT

1. HOOSIERS HQ
It was hard to explain what happened, but No. 1 Indiana left Champaign with a loss last night, Dustin wrote.

IU didn’t pack enough punch to knock Illinois out, and found itself on the canvas when the night was through, I wrote.

The Hoosier women’s basketball team saw No. 8 Penn State pull away in the second half Thursday night at Assembly Hall, Seth wrote.

2. IT’S INDIANA
In a year where being No. 1 has been a curse, not a blessing, the craziness continued with Indiana’s loss, Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com writes.

No killer instinct for Indiana meant a potential season-saving win for Illinois, Jeff Borzello of CBSsports.com writes.

The Hoosiers were on the losing end of a court-storming victory Thursday in Champaign, Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star writes.

A win over No. 1 was a special moment for the Illinois seniors, Loren Tate of the Champaign News-Gazette wrote.

3. ONE FOR THE ROAD
For Tyler Griffey, “Big Shot” by Billy Joel.

Related content: Read more in Hoosier Morning

Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Laffy
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 10:32 AM EDT

“Lack of a killer instinct” describes us perfectly.

And Crean still refuses to rip them for it and just blows sunshine up their butts.

I love how Self ripped his team a new one after their last loss.

Crean still would have blown kisses to the team telling them how “great” they were and whined “the ball just doesn’t go in sometimes.”

(rolleyes)

Hoosier Clarion
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 10:49 AM EDT

DD, 2 Q’s, any info as to who Coach Wilson is 0′ing in on for the DL coach? I have repeatedly read the IU baseball team is favored to win this years B10. Is that a projection you can agree with?

HC

Laffy
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 11:14 AM EDT

I am a little surprised we haven’t heard “one bad game” again.

Guess it lost it’s zing after saying it for the 15th time this season.

See, this is exactly why I harp on them even after wins.

They are intellectually lazy and soft….and Crean is clueless.

And doing nothing but blowing sunshine up their butts “because they won” leads to garbage games like this.

And its going to kill us in the Dance……where all you guys will blame the refs when we flame out in the first weekend.

Laffy
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 11:28 AM EDT

Instead of crying about the refs…..again…..I’m gonna go with InsidetheHall’s reasons for our loss:

Especially 2, 3 and 4.

HoosierSmitty
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 11:47 AM EDT

A Bill Self meltdown actually would have made me feel better last night.

Indiana played extremely well for a vast majority of the game. The perimeter defense continues to be poor and when Illinois (esp Richardson) got hot, they got back in the game.

I don’t think the Hoosiers were adequately prepared for the game to be in that “down-to-the-wire” situation after essentially dominating the entire time. They paid for it as a result.

kenny george
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 12:09 PM EDT

me, i just got sick and threw up. Laffy, Keep at it, I’m coming around to your way of thinking.

Laffy
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 12:30 PM EDT

Knight, Self, Pitino, have/had no problem calling their team out in public when they deserved it.

And they all won Titles.

Until/unless Crean questions their manhood in public, they will continue to be soft.

And quit slobbering all over Will because he “brings energy” when his crap actually hurts the team.

Laffy
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 12:33 PM EDT

Oh, if Crean can’t win the Title this year, he’s never going to do it.

We have the deepest team in the country and this is probably the weakest field in the history of college ball.

TJ
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 3:01 PM EDT

Indiana and fan base IN Indiana don’t get it. I now live in Texas,having moved from Illinois but born and raised in Indiana. Illinois fans HATE Indiana..its more than a rivalry to them.They hated Knight as a thug and Henson was a “gentlemen”. They HATE the fact they can’t recruit from Indiana and their best players go to Indiana ( Isiah Thomas,Quinn Buckner)They have never forgotten or forgiven Indiana over the Eric Gordon reversal ,which goes back to the recruiting.On their News paper blog site earlier in week 1 “question” was posed by Anonymous as ” I hate Indiana” that should serve as a warning that Illinois/Indiana rivalry is MORE than JUST a rivalry to them

kenny george
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 7:39 PM EDT

imo, I don’t think we’re all that deep laffy. After the five, we have sheehey<SHOWBOAT of AMERICA' improving hollowell, sporadic abell.. jurkin and perea are a waste of scholarships, creek is slow due to the multiple injuries, elston has never been a dynamic player, we just don't have the depth to run and then run some more. PLUS Crean has some of the stupidest substitions I have ever seen. OH WE"RE DOING GOOD, time for a sub then. I agreee, this team ain't going anywhere in March except an early seat on the sidelines.

#11 Friday, February 8, 2013 - 10:37 PM EDT

Indiana Who-osiers….unpredictable, unreliable, inconsistent, hell I’m wearing my Thesaurus out!

The hot potato that is the #1 ranking in NCAA BB continued this week as IU became the 5th consecutive to team to relinquish the top spot in less than a week. I could see it coming the day the 2013 schedule was released. There it was, 2-7-13 ( my 60th BD) @ Illinois….ugh! This was going to be a day to be remembered and believe me when I say I won’t soon forget it.

I would put this performance in the top 5 biggest gags in my decades long love affair with the Hoosiers. Sure there are always ups and downs…that’s what it’s all about. The ups- ’76-’81-’87…need I say more. I’ve always said my attendance at the 87 title game was one of the highlights of my life. One of my fondest memories. I guess it takes these highs to make the lows of yesterdays loss hit so hard. I don’t expect to win every game, though I do feel this team should be undefeated at this point. I expect to lose Sunday @ OSU and probably 3 more times before it’s over….@ MSU, MI and MN.

I don’t enjoy any loss, but some are to be expected and Big 10 road games always prove a tough challenge. If your going to win a Big 10 title you have to win your home games and the road games with teams that don’t have the talent to compete…..unless you cooperate and hand it to them like I U did yesterday. 16 turnovers to a team that doesn’t present any particular defensive problems is a gift. A gift that likely cost them any chance at the regular season top spot and #1 Big 10 Tournament top seed. Only the winner of the Big 10 Tournament will get a #1 NCAA seed.

This years NCAA Tournament promises to be one of the most competitive in years. There is no clear cut top team and every team in the top 20 presents a difficult challenge. A top seed will be very valuable and much coveted….good luck Who-osiers- you’re going to need it!

Comments

• W. Soccer. Let The 2014 Season Begin - The Indiana women's soccer team opens the 2014 season with a home game against Indiana State on Friday followed by a road game at Eastern
  • M. Basketball. IU Announces 2014-15 Big Ten Men's Basketball Schedule; Non-Conference, Final Times and TV Designations Coming Soon - The Indiana University men's basketball team, for the sixth straight year and third straight season on the road, will play a Big Ten game on New Year's Eve. The Hoosiers travel to
  • Recruiting notebook: Forward names finalists - A 2015 forward who has visited Indiana put the Hoosiers on his list of finalists, Kyle Guy's offer list reached a dozen, a 2016
  • Hoosier Newsstand, Aug. 22 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Big Ten announces 2014-2015 basketball schedule -

The Big Ten Conference on Thursday evening announced its 2014-2015 men’s basketball schedule, which includes the conference’s new additions Rutgers and Maryland.

• Montreal rewind: Stanford Robinson -

Welcome to “Montreal rewind,” our player-by-player recap from Indiana’s five-game tour of Canada. Today: Stanford Robinson. Previously: Nick Zeisloft, Devin Davis, Troy

• VIDEO: "The Young Veteran" - Watch this video that will take you inside the life of Victor Oladipo this
  • VIDEO: Fred Glass talks basketball - Indiana athletic director Fred Glass met with the media Wednesday in Indianapolis as part of IU's "On The Road"
  • Indiana Basketball Big Ten Schedule Dates Released