Hoosier Morning

1. HOOSIERS HQ
Payback may not be an emphasis, but Indiana hasn’t forgotten last year’s loss at Nebraska either, Dustin writes.

The position-by-position matchup for IU-Nebraska, from Dustin.

The IU women’s basketball team travels to East Lansing tonight to take on the Big Ten’s best defense, Mike writes.

And a story I forgot to link yesterday, IU student Conner Bird, the son of Larry, was arrested Sunday after trying to hit his ex-girlfriend with a car, we reported.

2. IT’S INDIANA
Nebraska wants to control the pace when it visits top-ranked Indiana tonight, Brian Rosenthal of the Lincoln Journal Star writes.

The legend of IU women’s recruit Tyra Buss grew again Tuesday as she scored 30 of her 48 points after suffering a dislocated shoulder to lead Mt. Carmel into tonight’s sectional title game and become the second-leading scorer in Illinois history, Scott Allen of the Daily Republican Register wrote.

Noah Vonleh and Troy Williams were selected to play in the Jordan Brand Classic along with a host of Kentucky recruits, Steve Jones of the Louisville Courier-Journal writes.

3. BIG TEN COUNTRY
Three losses in four games for Michigan, including last night’s blowout loss at Michigan State, means it’s time to put up or shut up for the Wolverines, Nick Baumgardner of MLive.com writes.

Michigan State put it all together Tuesday night and showed its true potential, Graham Couch of the Lansing State Journal wrote.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
Out of respect for the Wolverines’ splatter, here’s RoadKill with “Sold My Soul.”

• iuhoosier1992 says:

Hey Michigan, feel free to show up on a big stage versus your in state rival. That was a bad showing. Granted MSU looked unbelievable last night. They worry me right now. If they get on a roll and having Izzo as head coach, they could be very dangerous come BIG tourney and the NCAA. I am not looking forward to that game in Lansing, the boys better bring it.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Wow..Just overheard a story on CNN about Larry Bird’s son.

I didn’t realize his son resided in Bloomington. Wow…just..wow. And they called the kids that played for Sampson thugs…? Innocent ’til proven guilty, but it appears some pretty big thugs still walk the streets of Bloomington.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I could care less if we throw the opening game to the Big 10 Tourney. We play the grueling 18 game schedule against the same teams for what exactly?

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if a coach with some stones would just play all his subs in the Big 10 tournament? We could start Perea at center…Hollowell and Elston at the forwards…Put Remy and Raphael Smith at the guards. Howard and Creek come off the bench.

Rest the starters for the NCAA tournament…

Alternative strategy: Start with our normal rotations…go with the regular starters and subs for the first half. Second half: Play the entire bench(minus Sheehey) and challenge them to preserve and lead the starters could build during the first half.

The end of season conference tourneys are nothing but motivated in dollars. There is zero concern the pounding fatigue endured by the college athlete that could use a week+ rest after a long regular season. And there’s also the possibility that you’ll meet a conference foe in the NCAA tourney…Before all is said and done, a possibility of four games against the same team…Ridiculous.

• Geoff says:

Well, Harvard I agree about 80% with your last statement. Considering that the conference tournament winners are given entry to the big dance, they certainly have meaning to the teams on the bubble or completely out looking in…

• Podunker says:

HforH, seldom do I agree with a post of yours so thoroughly as I did after reading #3 above. I agree completely.

I wonder if a Big Ten coach would be “punished” sone how if he started his subs and played the entire bench through a game? Anybody know the rules? Also, I wonder if doing so would cause the Big Ten Champion (regular season) to lose a #1 seed in the big dance?

• Good Time says:

Harvard for Hillbillies
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 – 5:02 PM UTC

Rest the starters for the NCAA tournament…

——————————————————-
    WOW…Don’t give up your day job

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

But why should they be given that automatic bid, Geoff? Why couldn’t they proved they belonged during an 18 game conference schedule?

And why should they be rewarded for preserving their vigor for a conference tourney when everyone else is spent for attempting to win the top spot in the standings?

And doesn’t the committee almost always take five, six, or, sometimes, even seven teams from the Big 10 anyway? How often will a team in the lower 4 slots claim the championship trophy? Anyone in the top six spots in the standings are already likely on the invite list(or at minimum a bubble team)…

Same with the smaller conferences…Valparaiso has had a hell of a regular season..They trip on a toenail at their postseason conference tournament and it results in no invitation to the Big Dance. Again, what exactly was the regular season for? Maybe the regular season should be shortened seeing how a requirement for many these small conference schools to get into the dance is to have to play and win four more games against the same opponent that has scouted them up and down and all over town.

Isn’t that one of the few hidden advantages of the NCAA tournament for a Cinderella team(the fact that a powerhouse team has not shared the same floor and all the scouting in the world still doesn’t replace what you learn from head-to-head battle)? So, when we make the potential “Cinderella” team burn themselves out, wear down their thin rosters, with excessive playing in postseason conference tournaments, doesn’t it effectively give even more advantage to the powerhouse teams with deeper talent and deeper rosters?

Just some NCAA March Madness food for thought…

• Geoff says:

Well I could see a bubble team like Iowa winning it and securing a bid, especially if coaches at the top adopted your philosophy. Right now there are at least 2 teams that will almost certainly finish a couple games below .500 in the B1G that could win their way into the tourney. Both Illinois and Iowa proved outside of the B1G they are worthy, but what if they both finish 7-11 in conference… Those 2 teams were a combined 24-3 out of conference.

I do basically agree with everything you’re saying though.

Good Time-

Don’t cry for me Argentina….

I have support from Podunker and Geoff… For a good portion…my thoughts on conference tournaments…
    they’re well respected….I took my chances..
    Now save your lances….My thoughts on dances…I took my chances…I took my chances.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

My wife is into crocheting…Maybe she can knit you and your wife an IU baby blanket for junior if Illinois or Iowa even make it to a semifinal round. Let me know…She’s the Jordy Hulls of crocheting…small size..big game.

• Ron says:

I see three reasons for the B1G tourney. $$$$$$$$, last chance for a team to make the NCAA’s and to further enhance a teams position.

If we win out the rest of the season or win enough to maintain #1 ranking than I like HH’s alternative strategy. Starting 5 first half only.

Injuries have affected many of the teams this year and seem to be increasing. We’ve been lucky with Vic hitting the floor 10 times a game and Cody’s dives.

• Ron says:

Uhh HH, if the wife is using ‘those’ knitting needles I would imagine you step-up your game for Valentine’s Day?

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Sh*ts Malone! I just figured out how to turn my wife and the living room into a Chinese labor camp…IU hand knit baby blankets with the seal of authenticity: the HfH logo at the bottom left corner.

Available by way of email sent to Dustin for $99.99. 50% deposit required…Ships in 8 weeks. Put you orders in TODAY!

Bwahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahha…

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

laffy singing nursery rhyme to Geoff and wife’s baby:

Bwahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahha…Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah..black sheep have you any wool.

yes sir, yes sir, three bags full…you idiot.

oops.

Bwahahahahahhahahahah, Bwahahahahahahahaha, [black] sheep, Have you any wool?

• Fred for Foothills says:

Oli Dipping Depo needs to get away from the behind the back dribble

• Chet says:

“I could care less if we throw the opening game to the Big 10 Tourney.”

In retrospect, that’s what RMK claims he did every year. He basically said that he sandbagged the Big Ten tourney every year. I guess he agreed with your strategy.

I’ve read stories about Larry Legend’s kids over the years. He’s an easy target so I hope there isn’t anything to the stories. If there is anything to them it is all very sad.

• Chet says:

Back in the day, when only one team per conference got to go to the Big Dance, it was not unusual for the best team to stay home because of conference tourneys.

The 1974 Maryland team that lost in overtime to NC State (and, thus, stayed home) had 6 future NBA draft picks on the roster.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Well, Chet, it was reported on CNN and on every major internet news site.

As I said above, he deserves his day in court. But it’s not like I posted this as something my own personal spreading of hearsay and rumor. There was an arrest and a release on bond. I heard the story coming from my kitchen TV as it broke on CNN news… I was sitting at the computer and it caught my attention.

Why should it be so shocking?…Yeah, they’re all easy targets Much like the Grammy’s that let a pop music star that beat the living daylights out of his girlfriend and busted up her face into their award show. I guess her face was an “easy target.” And the girlfriend has made complete peace with it all. Wonderful message to young women everywhere..You egged him on…You deserved to get your face rearranged. You deserved to have a car driven at you. Product of the times, I guess. Look how many degrade women on this very blog. Then in the next breath they talk of the decimation to our basketball program by those Sampson thugs…

Your only a “thug” if you don’t have celebrity already in the family or your not yet a hot commodity in the sports or music industry with big money to protect your solid gold name.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

oops. [You’re] only a [thug]….

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Maybe it was the best lesson for the Sampson ‘thugs’ to feel the label now..Maybe there’s too many free passes for the daily verbal abuse and modest beatings…Makes one wonder how many star athletes in high school and college use and abuse their prowess to build a thick and long resume of mistreatment those that were too afraid the scorn of fellow peers if truth be told of the ugliness that goes on daily behind closed dormitory doors and private outings an abusive jock or celebrity. Does anyone truly break? We can only hope that it was a wake up call for a few..Maybe a few of those Sampson thugs won’t grow into a Chris Brown or an O.J. Simpson.

So many of the stars are groomed and molded into untouchable gods. Only a lucky few would end up at IU and be thrown a heavy dose of brief reality that in some corners this earth values and morals actually matter.

I’m not excusing the stereotyping and viciousness..the sick joy that seemed to come along with the labeling as if it brought some sort of satisfaction to our hungry hateful tongues to relish in the moment of ugly preconceived notions and watch them burn at the stake …That was our sickness in claiming and pretending that those thugs were doing anything more than what many a typical spoiled suburban college student engages in every weekend behind the closed doors their dorm rooms.

But if their was a positive to be taken away from the viciousness found in the joy to put them on buses as irredeemable creatures and throwaway humans, it was the shock treatment it may have provide their souls. Maybe they’ll find something in life besides sex with an 18-year-old hotel maid or the degradation that comes to so many doorsteps because of lifetimes never having to own up to anything because you’ve been a pampered, untouchable star of a sports and entertainment world that will forever turn its back on indecency if it lines the pockets of corrupt administrators, immoral coaches, seedy and greedy executives, and TV networks more concerned with ratings than helping a young girl in a living room fixated on being a star someday know it doesn’t come with the price of complete humiliation and self worth.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

But if [there] was a positive…

• Chet says:

Harvard, I’m not questioning your accuracy. It was barely a blip on the radar down here.

I’m sure being the offspring of a living legend comes with its own set of issues. Never had to travel down that road. I don’t really know anything about the Bird family dynamics so I can’t even guess about his situation.

I guess for those of us that didn’t grow up in privilege the knee jerk reaction is, ‘He had it all and he’s throwing it away. What a waste.’

But, as for me, I have no idea. I never had enough to ‘throw away’ until I was an adult with a family. It’s all very sad.

• Chet says:

I’ve mentioned how my son that wrestled in college was lightly recruited (North Carolina is no wrestling hotbed). On his college team were several recruits that were All Everything in high school.

This may not be applicable everywhere but, at least at this program, the low profile guys did WAY better than the high profile guys. It wasn’t ability or athleticism that did them in. It was personal and social issues that were their downfalls. My guess (and that’s all it is) was that they went from being the brightest star in the sky to falling down to Earth and they couldn’t handle it. Their lives (at that point) seemed to have peaked in high school. At least in their own minds. I hope they have been able to move on.

Guys like my son just wanted a chance. It was a completely different mindset. Just keep plugging away. He thrived.

He most certainly wasn’t walking in the footsteps of a legend. It was the least I could do. I’m still hoping to peak.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Harvard, I feel like I have to walk you through the ‘mean streets’ before you understand that these are ‘choices’ these pieces of garbage make. I’m facing south, towards Soldier Field. Behind it I can see the streets where two weeks ago a girl, a good student at MLK Prep (prep is a designation for the schools where students with college academic potential can apply and receive a superior hs education)), who was a majorette for MLK and was honored along with the rest of her Corps by being invited to the Inaugural Parade for Obama, who lives less than 10 blocks from her neighborhood…also straight down my nose looking south.

So she returns from the Inauguration and not two days later goes to a little park, maybe 15 blocks from Soldier Field and is just ‘hanging out’ with some kids from MLK- several of whom were gang bangers (either Gansgster Disciples or Lords or whatever) when a car pulled up from either another gang or another faction of their gang and came out of the car shooting into the crowd and hit our majorette. What was the issue, that perhaps in her group were some who had been part of an attack that had wounded the attackers a year later and refused to identify them because of their ‘no snitching’ code.

There were 500+ of these deaths last year. Nearly 10 last week. One was an honor student whose mom worked two jobs to make sure he could fulfill his potential despite the fact that the father was a convict, or a runaway, or was unknown, or a junkie…a gang banger for sure. There are parents who teach their kids top get in fights because violent aggressiveness is interpreted by psychologists as
    a ‘condition’ that allows the parents to receive funds from mental health benefits.

As I’ve related before, these gang bangers recruited by Sampson had histories here, in these streets. They made choices every day about banging, about dealing even on the very courts or gyms where they were being scouted. Somehow and sadly basketball has also become a part of that culture. Basketball hoops around the park and courts had to be taken down because they attracted the bangers who made the courts and parks ‘their territory’ and lept out the 7 and 8 year-olds, and the mothers who found a breath of air before they became Gangster Disciple, or Latin King, or Maniac Disciple or Four Corners. Or Latin King or Latin Maniac Disciples or Mexican Mafia or Los Locos.

Or the fathers that walked here from Mexico where the politics steals even the fleas from the dusty street where the dogs scratch, just for a chance to work in a chicken factory in the morning and wait on tables in the evening…and their kids betray them with their guns and ‘sanctions’ and their daughters in ‘painted on’ dresses become the gang’s ‘reina’.

Are you really that innocent and that much of a romantic? “The back of a car”?, that’s the ‘office’ of the treasurer Harvard.

I’ll never forget the day I read we had started recruiting this slime…I was saddened for Bloomington, for IU for all the kids who did all the right things in places like Gary and East Chicago and Hammond and Indianapolis and Jeffersonville and were taking their family’s hope and their future children’s dreams and would run into the ‘branch office’ established on 10th Street, to do trade, probably in the very Library or the Arboretum or the parking lot by Memorial Stadium or Campus View Apartments.

Nahh Harvard, you mean well and have lots of compassion but don’t look for it nor waste time in the trash you have romanticized. Being innocent is a profession that always ends up in complicity.

It is my experience that anyone in this country has the choice to make choices. My father made them and did his best to teach us and hold us to them. Didn’t always work…God knows I gave him his share of heartbreak and yes, shame at times. But if we honor who we are, most ofte we eventually ‘get it’, accept the cards life deals us and put them together into the best hand we can. Then, we play them.

Then again, some choose to never sit at the table and that is a choice in life in and of itself. It’s really quite simple. Look at some of the anecdotes and experiences Chet and others have lived…nothing that complicated about them…just a man playing his cards as best he can.

It’s like basketball…simple. You get the ball, you shoot the ball, you play some defense and then you get the ball back and get to shoot again. The ‘thugs’, they failed because they made the decision to fail with the decisions they made. Like the gaucho Martin Fierro once said as his fourteen year-old son rode away, ‘be hard my son’.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

...[a] Crean prototype [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Like all Crean "finds"(other than Wade)......Nothing of savvy basketba [...]

• Rico Chet:

Exactly what RAM said. Good luck Troy. I thought this would be the log [...]

• RAM:

Good luck Troy. If you can learn that every play you make does not hav [...]

• Hoosier Hopeful: