If you have 45 minutes to listen to the most spectacular, rambling radio conversation we’ve ever heard….

22 comments by   |   Friday, February 22, 2013 - 4:39 pm EDT

… then listen to the podcast of Dan Dakich’s interview with Bill Walton. Even if you only get like a quarter of it it’s worth your time. If you can deal with tangents, and lots of them, entertainment value is off the charts. Walton goes from Indiana-Kentucky to John Lennon to Cody Zeller to Elgin Baylor in about a minute. He goes from John Wooden to Jerry Buss to Bob Dylan and back again in the span of one answer. There’s no doing it justice.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Official statements on Kenny Johnson
Jeremy Hollowell transfers to Georgia State
Johnson leaving for Louisville
Former Indiana player Mike Woodson fired by the Knicks
Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
Clark
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 4:44 PM EDT

I heard it live, it was awesome. Especially today, a day in which D D was not at his best.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 5:00 PM EDT

Walton is brilliant…But lest we forget, Dakich outplayed MJ…and Steve Downing spanked ‘The Big Redhead’ at a Final Four four decades past.

Interview Steve Downing instead of a giant babbling roach clip. I know..the giant babbling roach clip is more interesting and fun. Which brings me back to Sampson…

Podunker
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 5:00 PM EDT

Love him or hate him, Walton is never boring. But he sounds like his pain medication is working very well.

Ron
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 5:41 PM EDT

Will there ever be another interview of 45 minutes where DD says 50 words or less?

I spent the late 60′s in Southern California and think Bill maybe never left that time.

Had to exit during the recording and get a different ad showing. That T-shirt girl with those big eyes was distracting. Dustin. can you give them a discount and get their ads back?

Bombay Sapphire
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 6:09 PM EDT

there are some quotes on this that I’ll spend the rest of my weekend quoting, I love Bill Walton because I take nearly all of what he says and laugh loudly at what I feel like is the best sarcasm(even when he’s telling the truth) ‘in the history of western civilization’.

“I saw him run once at a church picnic and fell over laughing.”

“I’ve got a fused spine now, but other than that everything is fantastic.”

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 6:57 PM EDT

Couple stories on CNN made me think of Chet today…

-Spending cuts possibly hurting Air Force bases and surrounding economy in South Carolina. Hurting people already hurting from larger payroll taxes, rising fuel prices, stagnant local job markets, etc.

-U.S. wrestlers travel to Tehran, the new “evil empire,” to compete against Iranian wrestlers.

Hope all is well with Chet…He not be much a bloggin’ Hoosier of late.

Oh, and while killing time on YouTube, I found a clip that made me wonder if this is how Ron will one day meet his soul mate.

Geoff
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 7:04 PM EDT

Oh my word… Woooowwwww… Dakich was literally speechless. But what would anyone have been able to say.

A few too many “I was touched when I was a 10 year old boy” for me to be completely comfortable.

Wow…

How about his answer to the Knight question… (still trying to put it together personally)

Walton – “growing up and all the way through college every person in a position of power over me… My parents – the best parents in the world – my teachers, my coaches, coach Wooden… Had nothing but my best interests at heart. They were full of love. Then I got to the NBA. But that is the role of those people…. That is what they should do… The most important jobs in the world are parent and teacher and coach… Because you influence what comes next… And Wooden had his poets – Kipling, Frost, etc – and I had mine – Jerry Garcia and Dylan and Neil Young… And they all preached the same thing – LOVE and happiness…”

Dakich – “I was expecting more Bill… But that’s great. I understand exactly what you’re saying…”

Just classic. Thanks for posting.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 7:36 PM EDT

“I’m not a good father.”

That’s an honesty you rarely hear. Maybe there is hope for Walton.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 7:59 PM EDT

Wow..I got to the end. It felt like being sophisticated by a pillow saturated with colon gas.

Chet
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 10:53 PM EDT

Yeah, I haven’t been posting much. I’m on another sojourn. Tonight I’m in Las Cruces, NM. Spent a couple nights in New Orleans. That was fun.

Visited an old friend from IU in Galveston. Very interesting, both Galveston and the old friend. He is a gay man who was diagnosed with HIV 30 years ago, before there was any kind of treatment. He’ll be 60 next week. Naturally, he’s been taking meds since they were invented. He’s lost his partner of 20 years and pretty much everyone he knew in the gay community. He’s good but losing everyone has been pretty tragic.

Traveled across Texas, the filthiest wasteland I’ve ever experienced. For such a proud collection of people they treat their state like a landfill except landfills aren’t covered with refineries. Nasty.

You can immediately tell when you enter New Mexico because they pick up their roadside trash.

We’re headed to Arizona with the KLRs for some desert/mountain motorcycling. A great opportunity to break something.

Haven’t missed a moment of basketball. I’ve pretty much kept up with the Scoop but haven’t had much time to get involved. There’s been some really good posts.

Still here.

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 2:25 AM EDT

Great to hear of your adventure and a description of Texas that is a classic. Get back for the stretch run. Enjoy!

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 2:31 AM EDT

Yeah!…Harvard reminded me; saw a clip of the US vs. Iran wrestling meet in Teheran and our wrestlers, especially Burroughs (I believe that is his name) being cheered and celebrated, though Iran won 6-1 (Burroughs our only winner).

Amazing about sports…in the end you know the guy playing the sport is just another reflection of you, but the strongest bond in the place is both your loves for the sport. I did think about you when I saw the clip.

Geoff
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 8:54 AM EDT

I guess “Don’t Mess with Texas” no longer carries any weight. That was a really powerful campaign when I lived there in the early 90′s and it must have been effective, because I didn’t experience what you are talking about at all Chet. Makes me a little sad to hear, even though I have no intention of ever moving back.

Not so fast my friend
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 10:43 AM EDT

Geoff, I lived in Texas, go there on business frequently. Chet’s remarks are consistent with Chet, but not reality.

Chet
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 11:44 AM EDT

With the exception of Galveston my observations were made just passing through. They weren’t intended as any sort of indictment. Based on a 900 mile passage it’s obviously just not a priority.

It is as real as the photographs and videos I took.

Aside from the topography many of the Texas cities look like Gary, IN, when the mills were thriving. It isn’t fair to judge the vegetation in February, even in such a mild winter. One can state that it consists more of low growing brush and not so many trees.

There are obviously many who love it. I think that’s great. It’s certainly not a place I would live.9

Chet
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 11:56 AM EDT

Geoff, was ‘Don’t Mess with Texas’ an anti litter or beautification program? Your mention of it makes it sound like it.

Strange name for one if it was.

Chet
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 12:13 PM EDT

Hey, the people were nice enough, the bar-be-cue was good (though I agree with the President, 12 Bones is the best there is), great place to buy boots (my wife has a boots Jones), great Tex Mex if that’s to your taste.

They just have lots of trash on the roadways, not much vegetation, and lots of refineries.

You might have missed or don’t mind the trash. The rest can’t bej argued.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 12:22 PM EDT

I remember once taking a trip to Bloomington down 37 and watching some Hoosier rednecks chuck trash out their window onto the side road while driving 80mph in their pickup truck. Hicks everywhere…Plenty in southern Indiana.

j wilson
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 1:22 PM EDT

It was certainly not your every day back and forth interview. At first I thought Walton was giving DD the business but as he went on he showed himself to be very honest and very open. Not every sport celebrity interview needs to be centered around Xs and Os and he-gave-110%-as-a-player. He centered on how people could be treated and gave praise to those who treated him and others with respect. He was certainly spot on when he mentioned “the airhogs” (Magic and Vitale) who, especially Vitale, cherry pick their games and leave others like DD sitting at home. For those who like their interviews trite and chopped into 30 second sound bites, this is NOT the interview for you.

Geoff
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 1:32 PM EDT

From wiki…

The phrase Don’t Mess with Texas is a trademark of the Texas Department of Transportation, which began as part of a statewide advertising campaign started in 1986. The intention behind the Don’t Mess with Texas campaign was to reduce littering on Texas roadways and has garnered statewide attention.
The phrase “Don’t Mess with Texas” was prominently shown on road signs on major highways, television, radio and in print advertisements. The campaign is credited with reducing litter on Texas highways roughly 72% between 1986 and 1990.[1] The campaign’s target market was 18-35 year old males, which was statistically shown to be the most likely to litter. While the slogan was originally not intended to become a statewide cultural icon, it did.

Hoosier Clarion
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 2:25 PM EDT

DD, thanks for posting the interview but I’ll decline the invite to listen. I’ve never cared much for someone who engages their mouth before their brain, generally is a waste of oxygen and own reputations for being a blowhard.

Chet
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 8:10 PM EDT

Harvard, absolutely. When I worked in South Carolina it was hard for me to believe how someone would throw out the trash from their car window.

New Mexico is gorgeous. I know the northern part of the state much better. Used to spend some time in Taos. But the south is beautiful as well.

Comments

• W. Water Polo. Top Seeded Hoosiers Get Ready for Conference Finals - The CWPA released the seeding for the 2014 CWPA Championships last week with No. 13 Indiana sitting at the top. The Western Conference Champs earned the top spot over No. 11
  • W. Rowing. No. 13 Rowing Hosts 6th Annual Dale England Cup - WATCH PREVIEW | The No. 13 Indiana Rowing team will close out the regular season with the sixth annual Dale England Cup on Lake
  • Report: Hollowell to transfer to Georgia State - Sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell, who announced his intent to transfer from IU on March 24, has committed play his final two seasons of college basketball at Georgia State, CBS
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Crean comments on Johnson's departure - Indiana coach Tom Crean issued a statement earlier today on the departure of assistant Kenny
  • Dietzen ready for more visits - Seymour, Wisc., offensive tackle Jon Dietzen holds six offers from schools in three different conferences, but he has only been able to visit
  • Video: Kenny Johnson introduced at Louisville -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Former Indiana assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Kenny Johnson was introduced as a member of Rick Pitino’s coaching staff at the

• Jeremy Hollowell transferring to Georgia State -

Former Indiana forward Jeremy Hollowell will finish his collegiate career at Georgia State. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports and a source close to

• VIDEO: Johnson meets the Louisville media - Former Indiana assistant Kenny Johnson had plenty of positive things to say about IU on Wednesday when he met with the Louisville
  • Official statement on Kenny Johnson departure - Here's what Indiana coach Tom Crean had to say about losing his assistant coach to
  • Foreign Study: Hoosiers in Pro Leagues Overseas