The Glenn Robinson-Jordan Hulls Zapruder films

So by now, you’ve probably heard about the Glenn Robinson-Jordan Hulls punch controversy that set the Twitter-verse on fire for about 45 minutes this afternoon. There are two GIF videos of this, one seems to partially incriminate Robinson, another seems to exonerate him. He has said on his Twitter account that the punch was accidental. There was no foul called at the time.

(I put the GIFs in here directly, but watching Hulls get punched in the face repeatedly was starting to get disturbing, so I’d say look at the links at your own risk.)

Video 1

Video 2

• Laffy says:

If you look at Glenn’s head/face, it doesn’t look like he sees Jordy at all.

However, when he feels contact with a player, it definitely looks like he throws a punch (without looking to see who was on the other end).

And once he saw it was Jordy, he just ran to the other end.

• IUBob81 says:

Sure looks like an intentional punch to me. GRII is a thug like his father.

• IUBob81 says:

The NCAA should rule on this. Who initiates an investigation?

• kurk81 says:

We’ll see if Michigan is still the Fisher/Frieder Michigan or whether they really have started to clean up the program. Watching in ‘real time’ it looked like Robinson just got excited and swung his hand as he turned upcourt. Upon rewatching it sure looks like he knows Hulls is standing there and punches him (while looking directly at him). He needs to lose a couple of games.

• OldIUGymnast says:

I am not one to cry over spilled milk – but that looks both intentional and like a punch to the head. Even if it was an accident, I don’t buy the “Watford pushed me” excuse – he kept swinging long after Watford’s little push on the elbow ended…..

• Bombay Sapphire says:

If you watch the longer clip of the actual play (instead of a 1 second moment in time)and keep your eye on Robinson he has no clue where Hulls is, Robinson is at the block and facing the hoop jostling with Watford, Watf had his arm pinned and Robinson yanked it away quickly, that’s what lead to what looks like a ‘punch.’ Jordy clearly didn’t think it was intentional, no one reacts the way Jordy did if you think you’ve intentionally been punched in the teeth. Instead Jordy, Robinson and everyone else on the court reacted as if it was unintentional, because it was.

• Podunker says:

At best, GRII displayed very bad sportsmanship. After the contact was made, he made no attempt to apologize or acknowledge that the blow was accidental. At worst, he’s a dirty player, a thug and a liar.

• IUBob81 says:

@Bombay, nonetheless, he was punched and Glen should have owned up to it immediately if it were unintentional. The fact that he just went on to the other end of the floor without seeing if Jordan was OK tells me that he either didn’t care or he thought he was getting away with a sneak punch.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I’m having flashbacks of Devon Dumes. at MSU(Hmmm? Devon Dumes..Dan Dakich…Dustin Dopirak..Triple DD’s..?

• IUBob81 says:

You are spot on, Podunker.

• wolfer says:

Having played hoops , myself, for years I don’t think this is intentional. Yes, GRII could have apologized but since it was such a “bang, bang” type play in tight quarters and the game was still close, I’m not so sure many people would have done that. Sometime these things happen. The one view makes it look like he definitely punched Jordy; whereas, the 2nd view shows it as a reaction to getting untangled and running down to the other end of the floor. I DID see this in the course of the game I wondered what happened to Jordy and why he was holding his eye. All in all, IMHO it was unintentional.

• Bob Nemanich says:

As a former ref it matter little as to intent, no one can read anyone’s mind, so even his defense is meaningless, that said, a strike to the head is a foul and up for review, suspension etc…if GRob_1 has this emotional issue it will come up again, in my mind it was a oppty knock, there was contact under the basket, GROB_1 was getting beat the whole game and he had a closed fist and that fist hit another player square in the head….flagrant 1 and possible discipline by the BIG TEN

• Mike P. says:

I’m not sure if it was intentional or not, but his actions after it happens tells me all I need to know about GR3, just like his daddy, he is nothing but a punk.

• Podunker says:

One other thing that seems to be missing from the discussion. If the contact resulted from Watford “pushing his arm,” why was GRII’s hand balled into a fist? A basketball player does not typically move around on the court with his hands balled into a fist. He might raise his arm and make a fist to celebrate making a shot, but such an expression is not likely to have connected with an opposing player’s face. GRII’s hands were relaxed until he felt someone come up behind him and then suddenly, one hand is balled into a fist. For 99.9999% of the game time, a basketball player’s hands are relaxed, with palm open and fingers ready to receive a pass, make a deflection or shoot the ball. But GRII’s hand was balled into a fist when the contact with Hull’s face was made. Most interesting and suspicious.

We may never know for sure, but it looks to me as if he was opportunistic and got away with a cheap shot.

• Hoagland says:

Don’t know whether it is intentional or not… the real issue is with the combination of 3 refs, and coach Crean, how did this pass with an explanation that amounts to ‘it was a clean screen’. They didn’t even look at the correct play, then Crean doesn’t even question the explanation. I think Crean was in the moment and didn’t want to argue and probably didn’t see it, that is fine… but after he sees it today, you gotta do something about it.

I don’t care about suspensions after a game we won, or playing he said she said… How do we bring this up to the B1G and say ‘It is absolutely inexcusable to not offer an explanation for this in reviewing it. If you thought it was on the screen, then watched and Hulls is still standing there fine after the screen, keep rolling the tape to see when he starts holding his face that he is clearly clearing blood from right now.’?

• Bombay Sapphire says:

to assume it was intentional is to assume this: Robinson was trying to get a rebound in the paint, looking at the rim, jostling with Watford for position all while punching Jordan Hulls in the face at the same time even though Hulls was out of his view the entire play, even the biggest thug in the nba couldn’t do all those things at once, get over it. Hulls didn’t even get injured, bloody or anything else. He took an inadvertent hit just like he did probably a dozen times playing with Tijan Jobe in practice…Everyone bashing Robinson needs to remember that Elston blatantly tripped a NW player 2 years ago and Austin Etherington punched his own brother in the groin in a HS game…forgive and forget, move on

• Andy Graham says:

Clearly unintentional, I think. Robinson was trying to rip his arm away from entanglement with CWat, and had no clue Jordy’s noggin was in the way. Obviously, he could and probably should have paused to make sure Jordy was OK after contact was made, but it is also his job to be getting back on defense at that juncture, so even that is open to interpretation.

As to the balled-fist point, if you’re trying to rip your arm away from somebody, it’s very natural for the fist to form into a ball. I think that’s exactly what happened here.

Naturally, I don’t want to see Jordy or any other player get clocked, but I think this was just an accident. The presence GRobIII may have sensed behind him might have been a teammate. No way he knew it was Jordy or any IU guy. Look at Robinson’s head. No way he could have seen who it was, and it’s more likely he didn’t realize anybody was there.

Having said all that, any blow to the head is cause for concern, even if inadvertent. And given how the NCAA and Big Ten treat elbow-throwing these days (which errs on the side of over-zealousness), it is certainly something that can and probably should be reviewed. But I think intent or lack of it, when demonstrable, should always matter when sizing up these things. I see no intent here.

• Bombay, I think I’m mostly with you here, but when did Austin Etherington punch his brother in the groin in a high school game? That would seem counterintuitive considering they played for the same team.

• Podunker says:

Andy, when you write, “if you’re trying to rip your arm away from somebody, it’s very natural for the fist to form into a ball.” First of all, I don’t agree that it is natural to form a fist in those circumstances. Secondly, GRII was not trying to rip his arm away from anyone, because he was not tangled up with anyone. Your explanation seems like you’re bending over backward to give GRII the benefit of the doubt. GRII has not said, at least to my knowledge, that he was “trying to rip his arm away” from anybody. If that’s what he was trying to do, I think he would have said that. But instead he said CWat hit.bumped his arm, which resulted in his fist making contact with Hull’s face.

We can never know what GRII’s intent was, and you’re entitled to your opinion as to what happened. But I don’t think it’s necessary to defend the young man by putting words in his mouth. In my opinion, he took advantage of the situation and took a shot. But even if I’m wrong, as I said above, he displayed poor sportsmanship by not making an apologetic gesture or letting Hulls know that it was accidental, either at the time it happened or after the game ended. And that, more than anything else, leads me to believe it was not accidental contact.

• Podunker,
    Not sure if it was intentional or not and I think this video has definitely been something of a Rorscharch test. But if you watch the second video, it’s clear that he and Watford had their arms tangled. Whether it makes sense for him to have made a fist or not, I could go either way. But he and Watford were clearly locked in arms.

• SpankyBTown says:

AG basically has it right. Pulling away from CWat he ran his hand (and balled fist) into Jordy. Looks like he did not know Jordy was there.

GRIII admits it happened and it was an accident. I believe it. No need for a suspension, no need to drag it out, no need for people to start making baseless comments about the soul and morals of a 18 yo kid who is in a big game in a rough league. Seriously, people get a grip or let us know you are making a bad joke with the overreaction.

Now, refs review was either in error (looked at screen, never reviewed punch) or flat wrong. This should have been a flagrant foul during the game just as any blow to the head is. But no ejection, no suspension. In the end it did not affect the outcome.

Moving on as I am certain JH has already done

• coachv says:

andy and bombay have it right. it’s strange how something that is so obvious to some is impossible for others to understand. glad bob is a former ref because his analysis is wack.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

If Austin Etherington punched his brother, then I think it’s perfectly fine he becomes the next victim of a round of scholly crunch.

Do we really make that accusation aimed at Austin without full availability of supportive evidence(newspaper article or video tape) to back it up?

• Bombay Sapphire says:

Harvard- I was there and saw it but like I was quick to mention I have become a much bigger fan now of Austin than I ever thought I would be after seeing that live 2 years ago. I’ve already asked Dustin to delete that post since it doesn’t paint Austin in a good light, even though it was true, and numerous IU fans from my hometown were there to see it and were just as disgusted…at the same time it does no good to bring it up at this point. Also just for my own credibility- this was all brought up on the inside the hall site (by others, not me) the week that it happened but those posts were deleted by the administrators “because of the negative light it painted towards IU recruits.” Again it’s all pointless at this juncture, I brought it up strictly to show that IU isn’t completely free of players that make mistakes, it just bothered me how one sided everyone looked at the Robinson/Hulls ‘punch.’ I like Elston and Etherington but they both made worse mistakes, in my opinion, than Robinson did.

• TsaoTsuG says:

I agree with the interpretation by Bombay and Andy that GR3 is facing towards the basket and that Watford is holding his arm at the crook of the elbow. GR3 makes an effort to pull his arm away and turn (trying to transition) and pulls his arm away just as Watford lets go of it-in the process tightening his muscles which likely cause it to form into a fist ball- thus the arm picks up speed- just as Hulls crosses behind him and catches the full impact of the punch. I am just as sure GR3 did not see Hulls until the hit. Cody Zeller is the only one in position to see that specific action (within the screen view) and Sheehey perhaps notices it (look at his head and possibly his double take)as he also turns and runs in the same direction as GR3, towards the opposite basket.

I think it’s physically impossible for GR3 to have seen Hulls since Hulls comes from a greater than 180o, see no intention to foul, much less for a flagrant foul. What could be corrected? Don’t turn quickly and look where you are going?

Has anyone asked Hulls?

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?

• Hoosier Clarion:

I gleaned nothing confusing. He is simply heightening the bar of comp [...]

• vesuvius13:

Po, I wouldn't be surprised if IU wins more than 7 games this year. [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

[...]

• Podunker:

Once again, I'm confused by Wilson's comments about his QBs. Is he pl [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

v I'm with your thinking about this year and for the very reasons Po l [...]

• Podunker: