Andre Kates signs with Baltimore Ravens

The curious story of Andre Kates continues. The former Indiana cornerback/safety who was a former junior college national player of the year but saw little time at IU and transferred after one year has signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens. This according to Virginia Union’s website.

Kates played last season at Virginia Union and recorded five interceptions.

• Aruss says:

Dustin – after reading Cam Coffman’s reaction to the Collins announcement on Twitter I was wondering if you guys have done/are doing a story on IU players and their use of social media? I follow as many IU players as I can because it’s an ego boost for them but I find myself unfollowing a lot after some of the awful language and subjects they tweet about.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Wilson said Monday night and Tuesday that the Hoosiers will let practice play out to decide who starts. Though he isn’t thrilled about the idea of in-season competition at the quarterback spot, a position where stability is more important than other spots that are more effective with multi-player rotations, he said he believes Coffman and Sudfeld have the right mentalities for it.

“They’re both pretty good,” Wilson said. “They’ve got great families. Christian families.

Build it and they will come. Social media definitely has its positives. It certainly provides insights into recruits motives and the religious extremism that is filtering into the IU sports culture.

It’s rather sad how it perpetuates what has always been the national Establishment’s constant attempts at painting Indiana as backward.

Crean is more careful on his twitter page than a young Coffman, but it is no less displays our institution in reverse as it pertains to acceptance of diversity, embracing all faiths, and social tolerance.

The extremist Christian beliefs is what they are packaging. They don’t take it to Lipscomb or Oral Roberts because those institutions have become more liberal and tolerant of varied faiths and stances on social issues than what they can get away with at desperate Indiana.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

A coworker said something to me a few weeks ago that couldn’t have summed it up better…

“Religion targets the weak.”

When you think of where IU football has been and what IU basketball(post overreaction to the Sampson lynching) was attempting to crawl out of….? Yup, he couldn’t have summed it up better.

• Hoosier heart says:

Andre Kates giving IU the middle finger right now. Good for him.

• seriously? says:

Harvard- wow, what a grand, original and thoroughly cutting egde thought. No one has EVER said anything like that before! In fact, when Marx called religion the “opiate of the people,” he was simply projecting into the future to harness the genius of your co-worker!

• Aruss says:

Before my thought gets hijacked by HH, I unfollow IU players for using the n-word and misogynistic tweets. To see players and recruits tweet garbage while being followed by coaches is beyond stupid in my eyes.

My issue with Cam’s tweet wasn’t about religion but his lack of understanding about civil rights and discrimination. He needs to understand that while he wears an IU uniform her represents the entire University when he speaks/tweets.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

seriously?-

I seriously doubt you’ve ever known anything outside your massive intellect. Forgive me for quoting just an ‘average Joe’ that I work with at my average job. It’s not a high paying job..Certainly not the type of job a college grad would likely lower their standards to perform.

The young man I’m quoting seems to be a decent guy..He’s a family man..He and his wife just celebrated having their first child. He’s originally from Mexico and he is currently part of the U.S. Army Reserves.. We were actually talking about the terror attacks at the Boston Marathon..I said that I couldn’t understand how such a young seemingly normal college kid could get so infected with hatred as to take the lives of innocent children and innocent bystanders…He didn’t respond with any radical hate-inspired spiel that can be pretty ugly and typical. I guess it just sorta seemed such a raw truth..His point of view was quick.He didn’t need 10 minutes to over-analyze and cloud the issue with multiple reasons someone might do something so removed from compassion and love for a fellow human being. I liked his answer. It caught me a bit off guard because he showed very little care to other coworkers overhearing his tiny and unimportant retort….Religion targets the weak.

Higher institutions of learning may also suck in the weak…Those that hide behind the walls of their presumed intellect to condescend instead of defend freedom or become productive members of society. Somewhere we got lost in this country and allowed our institutions to become hiding grounds and breeding grounds for idleness and a snidely existence the haughty-mouthed that prefer to talk down and live out wasted years where contempt fills the space of anything that a once honest man found happiness in an honest days’ work. It’s the whore never getting out of bed from the fruits of capitalism.

• The Average Joe says:

And what if, let’s say, I said to my co-worker Harvard “religion creates meaning and purpose for the lives of the downtrodden?” Would be citing me on this thread? No, of course not, because in that case i wouldn’t conform to his preconceived idea of what religion is.

Because I confirmed what he already knows, Harvard made me his “Joe the Plumber” for his scoop argument.

• Chet says:

‘Joe the Plumber’ would more likely have used your quote than Harvard’s. He’d probably have used words with fewer syllables, though.

Personally, I’d say both of your quotes are valid. It’s all about context.

• docdave says:

“Higher institutions of learning may also suck in the weak. Those that hide behind the walls of their presumed intellect to condescend instead of defend freedom or become productive members of society. Somewhere we got lost in this country and allowed our institutions to become hiding grounds and breeding grounds for idleness and a snidely existence the haughty-mouthed that prefer to talk down and live out wasted years where contempt fills the space of anything that a once honest man found happiness in an honest days’ work. It’s the whore never getting out of bed from the fruits of capitalism”

Gee, that is ironic coming from you. I think the actual idea is “People target the weak,” and Religion gets bastardized in the process by people like you.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

And Tom Crean needs to understand the same…He’s promoting and breeding the culture of exclusion with his propping up of Christianity as the ONLY religion. Would he be given such leeway if he were making all his prophecies and selling all his extremist ‘one faith’ doctrines if he were reading from a “book” not of Christian faith?

Here’s what it should be about for a basketball coach at a public institution..It should be about basketball. Sell hoops. Sell your great knowledge of the game. Don’t use Indiana’s platform of liberal principles and acceptance to sell your narrow perspectives. And don’t use the stage of live cameras to accuse people not given the due process that our constitution and civil liberties strive to protect with your thick pious tongue.

He never stops using the camera to convict. And whether they’re innocent or guilty should not be within his power to slander and shout to the heavens. And why is it allowed? It’s a tolerance all his bigotry and public lynchings lives within because it is wrapped in the veil of his plastic public professions on “social media” and his plastic faith.

• TT says:

H4H,

If you don’t believe in higher education and you don’t care for our basketball or football coaches then why are you on this message board? Seems there would be nothing here to interest you.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Never said that I don’t believe in higher education. I believe it is being used as a shelter(a play now, pay never, shelter)where extremists and idle worshipers can blend.

I believe higher education needs more purpose(other than an avenue for the comfortable to condescend) and more direct channels hope to empower the “downtrodden” toward gainful employment where there is a connect between the cost and benefit(especially to the future taxpayers that will inherit the debt of the massive defaults on the billions in government subsidized college loans).

And simply because I believe our coach needs to quiet his thick tongue has nothing to do with my love for Indiana basketball and the hope our public institutions representing our state embrace acceptance and differences rather than separation, professions of one supreme faith, and the positioning of its value systems toward growing intolerance.

• Podunker says:

Wow. This may be the worst string in the history of The Hoosier Scoop.

• davis says:

Had a lot of things to say, but I’ll just second Podunker’s motion.

• Chet says:

Harvard, just thought I’d toss this out there. A local mega church is having a right-wing-o-thon coming up. It’s sponsored by homophobe fast food king Chi-fil-et (or however you spell it) with Jack Welch (the guy who invented outsourcing while CEO of GE), Condi Rice (the National Security Advisor leading up to 911), some deposed fascist dictator and…drumroll please…Coach K of Duke.

Soooo, how are CTC’s tweets looking about now?

• Rico Chet says:

^ Fruity Fruitcake

• Hoosier Clarion says:

I like the lineup for that right wing soiree.

• Ben says:

GE = Government Electric. Took over the whole gig. Getting plenty of government help, yet sending it all overseas. Good ol’government. .

Not much of a mega church fan. So eti es the worship is more like a routine. Hard to explain. Joel Olsteen is a good example. Good speaker, but wayyyyy to big.

• shooter mcGavin says:

Chet- Harvard will find a way to exalt Coach K’s fanaticism as “genuine” and “sincere”, just to maintain his rebellious, conventionally non-conventional blog identity.

Also, Condi Rice is not really a conservative, or not an American one, anyway. Too talented and too smart; probably too aware of the complexities of the modern world. She had a shot at being Romney’s VP, and would have probably tipped the scales to his favor, but alas, she wasn’t dogmatic enough, and showed an ability to think independently.

• 4Guards says:

This reminds me of something Harvard would do. http://youtu.be/ghbXv9X9-s0

• coachv says:

I thought we were supposed to be discussing andre kates, probably the most beloved iu football player of all time.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I don’t know a lot about coach K….but I am relatively certain that he is in much better favor with the God that opened the gates for all that seek IU as their coaching heaven. Because of this simple truth, a life of nonacceptance and zero validation from the supreme hoops being is a living hell.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Tweets are worth a 1000 turds.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

“I don’t know much”…? Wasn’t that an Aaron Neville song? When I look at that photo of Crean attempting to be validated by coach Knight, that’s the song I envision.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Ron:

And...The Navy Seal killed Tuesday attended IU in 2004-2005 & was [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

You are correct, Chet. Majerus was a truly great basketball coach. [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

VIDEO: IU Pole Vaulter Sophie Gutermuth talks about hanging out at the [...]

• Chet:

I just meant that he left IU as it was on the upswing and joined the S [...]

• CalCheaneyfan:

Huh? I was only asking what happened to Cheaney after Jim Crews got fi [...]

• Chet:

Never got excited about Spike. At his best he was slow and he may not [...]

• Chet:

I don't know anything about what went into Cal's decisions but his tim [...]