IU grad assistant Kory Barnett joins UCLA staff as video coordinator

11 comments by   |   Monday, April 8, 2013 - 4:48 pm EDT

Kory Barnett was expecting to put in two years as a graduate assistant at Indiana and would’ve been willing to stay in Bloomington for his entire coaching career if the situation worked out that way.

But Barnett got a full-time opportunity at another blue-blood program working for family friends he’d known for most of his life, and that was too good to pass up. The Indiana graduate assistant and former Indiana walk-on confirmed Monday that he has taken the video coordinator position at UCLA under former Indiana All-American Steve Alford.

“I had hoped to stay here, but there was not a lot of movement (above the graduate assistant position),” said Barnett, who joined the Indiana program as a walk-on in 2008, Tom Crean’s first year as head coach. “So this was a perfect situation for me to be able to work at a place like UCLA. Coach Crean has been amazing. Since Day 1, he’s been supporting me with this. He told me this is a no-brainer to join a program like that. I feel like I can bring a lot to that program considering what I’ve experienced here from where we were my freshman year. I’ve seen a lot and I’ve learned a lot. I’m excited to learn more from a new coach and to learn different style of play. I’m blessed to have worked with Coach Crean and his amazing staff that made me feel like I was preprared to take this step.”

Barnett said he and his father Mike Barnett, a member of the board of directors of the Indiana Elite AAU program and a consultant with Adidas, have known Alford since the former Indiana All-American took his first coaching job at Division III Manchester College. Though the younger Barnett spent most of his youth in Portland, Ore., he was close with all of Alford’s children and annually attended Alford’s camps when Alford coached at Iowa.

Barnett was also close with Ed Schilling, the former Park Tudor coach who was one of Alford’s first assistant coach hires when he was hired at UCLA at the end of March. Schilling was actually ordained as a minister last year so he could perform Barnett’s wedding last summer.

Barnett said he contacted Alford shortly after Alford made the move from New Mexico to UCLA and told him he’d be interested in any position that might be available. He said the two discussed the possibility on Friday when both were in Atlanta for various coaching seminars, conferences and festivities that surround the Final Four.

Barnett said he will finish out this semester in graduate school and hopes to move to Los Angeles by the middle of May. The video coordinator work will be a bit of an adjustment because he had more of an on-court role and graduate assistant Aaron Weaver and Mike Santa had more film responsibilities, but he’s been working at length with Weaver recently to get a better handle on it.

Regardless, he’s anxious to move from one of the nation’s premier programs to another.

“Moving from a program like Indiana to another program such as UCLA is just unbelievable,” Barnett said. “I haven’t been to UCLA yet, but having been here and having seen how close-knit it is from Fred Glass to President McRobbie on down, I can only hope for the same.”

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Official statements on Kenny Johnson
Jeremy Hollowell transfers to Georgia State
Johnson leaving for Louisville
Former Indiana player Mike Woodson fired by the Knicks
Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
Podunker
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 5:00 PM EDT

Kory, congratulations on the new job. But I hope you negotiated a good compensation package, because you’re going to be shocked at the cost of living in LA compared to Bloomington. The average rent for a one bedroom studio-aprtment in any area accessible to the UCLA campus is over $2,000 a month. Great weather, though!

#2 Monday, April 8, 2013 - 5:10 PM EDT

Podunker,
I ask this in good fun, but I’m also kind of serious. How far down on the list of circles of hell would we have to go before we found a place you would consider living in Southern California preferable to?

Podunker
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 7:33 PM EDT

Great question, Dustin. But before I attempt to answer, let me say that most people living in “Southern California” make a distinction between Los Angeles and the rest of “Southern California.” For example, most people living in Orange County or San Diego County have a strong disdain for Los Angeles (the city and the county). They don’t want to go there, would never live there, and take exception to being described as being from there. “Oh, so you live out in LA?” Typical response, “No, I live in (fill in the blank).” There is a significant difference in the culture, politics, expense and traffic between LA and all other communities in Southern California. It’s like suggesting that a person living in Bloomington is from “Indy.”

So Dustin, my answer is this. Given the great weather, LA is not quite as bad as living in hell, but you can see it from there.

Chet
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 7:35 PM EDT

Dustin,
I used to have a beach house in Mission Beach, San Diego. It would take a couple circles to get me to live there again.

It’s waaay nicer than Los Angeles.

Ron
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 7:43 PM EDT

Southern California is an interesting place. Did the go ski at Big Bear and than hit the beach at Corona that evening. As Po notes, the cost of living takes some getting used too. And money – lots of money. Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach, Laguna, La Jolla nice. Bring $$$. Lived in Riverside, San Bernadino was nice 40 yrs ago.

Plenty to do and see but after 6 yrs really tired of the whole place. Went through a 7. something earthquake I was the naked guy standing outside my destroyed apartment. Somewhere in the newspaper archive….it was cold that night.

#6 Monday, April 8, 2013 - 8:15 PM EDT

Dustin – Doesn’t Ryan live in the OC now? And I’m pretty sure he said it was 100X’s better there than B’town and Milwaukee combined.

Chet
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 8:59 PM EDT

SoCal is great for 20 minutes. Let him spend a couple years there before forming an opinion. My sis lives in LaJolla and I still have that beach house in Mission Beach at my disposal whenever I want. I haven’t wanted in over 8 years.

Geoff
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 9:17 PM EDT

Uh oh… Barkley and Gottlieb just picked UM to win tonight. So much for the B1G bringing it home.

Chet
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 9:22 PM EDT

I’m assuming whoever was actually scheduled to sing the national anthem didn’t show up and they just pulled someone out of the stands.

Whoever or whatever a Travis Tritt is was as bad as Roseann Barr.

Geoff
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 9:48 PM EDT

Yeah. That was brutal. I actually had to rewind and see who the hell it was because it was so shockingly bad. Couldn’t believe it was Tritt.

Podunker
Tuesday, April 9, 2013 - 5:25 PM EDT

Ron, I had to laugh at your post #5. I was out in San Bernardino, CA on business when a powerful earth quake hit nearby (the epicenter was very close). I had just come out of the shower in the hotel room to answer the phone when things started rockin and rollin. My wife had called, so I calmly told her that we were experiencing a big earthquake. She started screaming through the phone, “honey, get out, get out of that hotel, get out now!” I calmly responded, “Nope, I’m standing here naked and dripping wet from the shower, and I have not even opened my suitcase. I’m not going anywhere, so we’ll just ride this out together.” We laugh about it now, but my wife thought the building was going to come crashing down with me in the middle of it.

Hey, California has some of the most beautiful scenery in the US. It’s a great place to go on vacation. And if you’re super-wealthy, So Cal would be a great place to live. But LA is in rapid decline and probably the most expensive city in America to live in. I will not be surprised if we hear that LA County, or the city of LA, has declared bankruptcy in the near future.

Comments

• General News. #InTheKnow: Midweek Match-Ups in #BTown - Indiana Baseball and Softball are back in action tonight! Baseball takes on Ball State on Bart Kaufman Field at 6:05 p.m., while Softball battles Louisville on Andy Mohr Field at
  • M. Soccer. IU Men's Soccer Hosts Mexico Sunday - Indiana will play host to the U-20 Mexican National Team on Sunday, April 27 at 2 p.m. at Carroll Stadium in
  • Report: Hollowell to transfer to Georgia State - Sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell, who announced his intent to transfer from IU on March 24, has committed play his final two seasons of college basketball at Georgia State, CBS
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Crean comments on Johnson's departure - Indiana coach Tom Crean issued a statement earlier today on the departure of assistant Kenny
  • Dietzen ready for more visits - Seymour, Wisc., offensive tackle Jon Dietzen holds six offers from schools in three different conferences, but he has only been able to visit
  • Video: Kenny Johnson introduced at Louisville -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Former Indiana assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Kenny Johnson was introduced as a member of Rick Pitino’s coaching staff at the

• Jeremy Hollowell transferring to Georgia State -

Former Indiana forward Jeremy Hollowell will finish his collegiate career at Georgia State. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports and a source close to

• VIDEO: Johnson meets the Louisville media - Former Indiana assistant Kenny Johnson had plenty of positive things to say about IU on Wednesday when he met with the Louisville
  • Official statement on Kenny Johnson departure - Here's what Indiana coach Tom Crean had to say about losing his assistant coach to
  • Et Tu, KJ?
  • What Does It Take to Win a Baseball Title?