Oladipo named first-team AP All-American, Zeller named second team

18 comments by   |   Monday, April 1, 2013 - 12:48 pm EDT

Victor Oladipo was named a first-team Associated Press All-American on Monday, joining Creighton’s Doug McDermott, Michigan’s Trey Burke, Georgetown’s Otto Porter and Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk.

Indiana sophomore center Cody Zeller was named a second-team All-American along with Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart, Duke’s Mason Plumlee, Miami’s Shane Larkin and Kansas’ Ben McLemore.

The third team is Kansas’ Jeff Withey, Erick Green of Virginia Tech, Nate Wolters of South Dakota State, Russ Smith of Louisville and DeShaun Thomas of Ohio State.  Four members of the All-Big Ten first team were named All-Americans.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
Podunker
Monday, April 1, 2013 - 6:15 PM EDT

I’m not sure this is relevant, but if Cody Zeller is not a “First Team all American,” is it realistic that he would be a lottery pick in the NBA draft? Seems like some of these organizations, like AP, are implying that Cody Zeller needs a little more development at the college game. I wonder if this is going to affect his decision to enter the draft or stay at IU for a third year?

As for VO, he’s as good as gone, and rightfully so. He is a wonderful young man and deserves all the good things an NBA career can provide.

Punjab
Monday, April 1, 2013 - 7:21 PM EDT

Man, just thinking about it is depressing. Two All-Americans in Vic and Cody. A sharpshooter and hometown hero in Jordy. One of Indiana’s top ten all-time leading scorers (and returning ESPY award-winner) in Wat. A McD’s All-American at point. Arguably the best sixth man in the country. And what was supposed to be loads of depth and athleticism on the bench. Oh well, March Madness happens to all but one team every year.

Congrats to Vic and Cody. Well deserved, fellas. Thanks for the memories.

#3 Monday, April 1, 2013 - 7:28 PM EDT

Podunker,
It’s definitely still realistic for two obvious reasons. No. 1, the AP voters are knucklehead sports writers like me. I’m not one of them, but they’re just sports writers. They don’t run NBA organizations. A lot of times you can have a pretty good gauge on who were the best players in college basketball that year based on the All-America teams, but the best players in college basketball and the best prospects in the NBA aren’t always the same.
And of course, remember what you’re dealing with mathematically. If you’re a second-team All-American, you’re purported to be one of the best 10 players in college basketball. The top 14 picks in the draft are considered part of the “lottery,” because the worst 14 teams are the ones that have a chance at getting the top 3 picks. So even if NBA teams took the All-America squads and just picked from those, all of the second-team All-Americans would be safely taken in the lottery.
Just about every NBA draft website has Zeller going somewhere in the top 14, usually around the No. 10 or No. 11 range. Obviously, the season isn’t over and the lottery hasn’t been held yet, but if you use this tool at ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2013/mockdraft) you will see Zeller taken around No. 10 or No. 11 any time.
But to give you your point, there definitely appears to be belief among scouts and such (and I don’t have a lot of scout connections, so I pass this along from what I read and hear from others) that there is definitely more they’d like to see from Zeller’s game and he can get better with another year in college. But his potential is such that if he’s available, they’re going to take him and try to teach him on their own. There are teams that would rather see him go back for another year, but they’re not going to punish him for going pro and they’re not going to pass on him. He might very well stay and he might have reasons to stay. But his All-America finish isn’t going to be the reason and he’ll still be a lottery pick if he goes.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, April 1, 2013 - 7:32 PM EDT

Wish Oladipo the best, but I don’t think he’s going to take the pro game by storm.

Finish the job you came to Indiana to do. One-and-done, two-and-done, three-and-done…Do something that hasn’t been DONE in Bloomington in 26 years…Get that done.

#5 Monday, April 1, 2013 - 7:38 PM EDT

Looking back at my post, I can see how it’s a little contradictory. But that’s kind of the point. All-America teams don’t determine the draft, and even if they did, Zeller would still be in good shape. He’s got lots to work on and therefore he could still stay, but everyone who follows this for a living says he’s a Top-14 pick if he goes.

Podunker
Monday, April 1, 2013 - 8:01 PM EDT

Dustin, thanks. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I did not realize that the top 14 players drafted were considered “lottery picks.” I thought the number was smaller than that.

O.K., Dustin, is it against the rules for you to make and post a prediction about Zeller? Do you think he goes NBA or stays at IU another year?

#7 Monday, April 1, 2013 - 11:09 PM EDT

It’s easy to confuse the lottery thing, because it’s generally defined as all of the teams that are entered in the lottery, but I could see how one could think it would be one of the picks that were earned through the lottery process. They pick three teams, through the lottery process, so you could argue that those are the only lottery picks, but generally, all the teams that don’t make the playoffs are considered part of the lottery.
I really feel 50-50 about it. I could very easily see him staying because he likes college life and wants to have his degree over and done with before he goes to the NBA. But I also think he realizes the math and that he might be better off going now instead of waiting to see what that loaded class of 2013 does. Plus, I think he sees that it’s not going to be the same next year. It’s going to be a lot different without Hulls and Watford and Elston and probably Oladipo. It doesn’t look like a title team with or without Zeller, at least it doesn’t to me. There’s going to be a lot of young guys, the locker room will be a lot different. I just don’t know if there’s as big a draw for him to return as there was a year ago. But again, I could see it going either way.

iulongago
Monday, April 1, 2013 - 11:39 PM EDT

Oladipo should go because his ‘draft stock’ will never be higher. Dustin is absolutely right about Zeller. Though he could probably use another year and may improve his draft position, IU is not coming anywhere near to winning an NCAA Championship next year (this was the year for that) which means that there is a ‘maybe’ for two years from now. Staying out of the draft for two years is “millions” of dollars. I suppose if he wants the ‘college’ experience, he should stay. If he looks at this as a ‘business’ (which he should start doing soon if he hasn’t already) there’s little reason to stay.

Punjab
Monday, April 1, 2013 - 11:41 PM EDT

Thanks, Dustin. I realize that saying it’s a 50-50 chance isn’t exactly going way out on a limb, but I was impressed that a you (versus a syndicated national columnist who can freely opine whatever and whoever he pleases, or no name bloggers such as myself) would dare speculate publicly. It takes cajones, and that’s one of the reasons we respect and appreciate your work.

For what it’s worth, which isn’t much, I think you’re just about right. I would probably give it a 55% chance he stays. Mmmmmmaybe a 60-40, but that’s a stretch and I won’t be shocked either way. I think the degree, his love for the team, a reasonable shot at championship redemption, and the fact that his family doesn’t need an NBA contract will be the tipping point for his return.

Punjab
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 12:00 AM EDT

iulongago, saying that we’re “not coming anywhere near” a championship is a bit pessimistic. If Cody returns, that’s an All-American added to what was already going to be a decent returning group. Do we lose a lot this year? Of course. If i were in Vegas, would i put money us winning it all? Maybe a couple of bucks, if that. (The return on $20 for 60-1 odds or whatever is pretty substantial. We spend that much on popcorn at the movies.) But Will and Yogi come back, as do several good role players who should continue to develop, and what looks like a very talented bunch of freshmen. We won’t be anywhere close to favorites in November, but we also won’t have inflated expectations weighing on us. We could be very dangerous come next March.

Geoff
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 1:10 AM EDT

The other thing that everyone’s seems to not take into consideration is the rest of the field… Ummm who IS going to be close to a title next year?

OSU? Kentucky…? UNC if everyone stays? Georgetown if Porter stays… Big if. Arizona? Memphis? A mid-major?

Duke loses Curry, Kelly, and Plumlee
Kansas loses all 5 starters
Louisville loses Siva and probably Russ Smith
Michigan probably loses Burke and maybe others
Syracuse loses Triche and Southerland and probably others
Miami loses everyone except Larkin
NCST loses a lot
MSU loses Nix and maybe others like Harris or Payne
UCLA loses Muhammed and are going through a coaching change
Florida loses Boynton, Rosario, and Murphy

So yeah, we lose a lot, but so do most of the other top programs. We have talent returning and a top 5 recruiting class. We won’t be that far off from contention. We’ll actually have a damn good shot if Zeller stays.

Punjab
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 1:40 AM EDT

Yeah, we won’t know what teams will look like coming back until after the draft deadline. Even then it’s a crapshoot. There’s no way to know how teams will gel. Some will look really good preseason and not do much. Others will surprise everyone. But it’s always fun to speculate. My guess is Kentucky will be the runaway favorite, if for no other reason than they’re supposed to have the best recruiting class EVER. We’ll see. But after that, we just don’t know. Iowa may be close. L’Ville goes deep, so there’s no way they drop off that much. There will be a lot of good teams, but if Kentucky’s guys aren’t as good as they’re hyped to be, it could be another year with no standout, dominant, great teams. Indiana could be right there in the mix.

Hoosier Clarion
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 9:09 AM EDT

Geoff, thinking through those same thoughts then seeing it in writing should make all those teams wary of IU if the Big Z returns. The BIG will be a scrap but IU should go back to back.

#14 Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 10:38 AM EDT

He better learn to turn & shoot(and make)as soon as he gets the ball anywhere beyond 5ft from the hoop, opponents have all summer to develop a simple defensive plan to stop him.

Crean was quoted nefore the season started that Zeller had developed more offensive weapons in the off season which included outside shooting. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Chet
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 10:48 AM EDT

I don’t see Ware making it back for Louisville. Certainly not in a year and/or not back to being the player he was. There’s got to be some sort of pathology going on for a a tib/fib fracture like that short of being hit by a car.

Something is not right with that kid’s leg.

I hope I’m wrong.

Podunker
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 6:48 PM EDT

Chet, shin splints can turn into a compound fracture pretty quickly if the bone is put under stress. My daughter played college soccer. Toward the end of her last season, she had painful shin splints. As they got worse, she went to the team orthopedic doctor. He examined her and took x-rays, then said she could play but that she was at risk of “running down the field and suffering a compound fracture.” She asked if there was something wrong with her bones, and the doctor said, “yes, it’s called extreme exertion without enough time to rest and allow your body to heal.”

She played, did not suffer any fractures, but could hardly walk for two days after her last game. She was in serious pain. She went back to the doctor, they took another set of x-rays and he told her, “do not do any running for at least four weeks. Do not do any training activity that involves your legs. If you need a workout, go to the pool and swim laps, but do not put any stress on your legs for at least a month.”

Chet
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 9:02 PM EDT

I’m not really sure what her doctor was referring to. Shin splints has more to do with the fibrous connective tissue where soft tissue adheres. I don’t see how that relates to bone weakness. He’s probably right, I just don’t understand how he puts the two together.

Now, I could see how a stress fracture could go south pretty quickly.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong. I’m certainly not an ortho guy by any stretch.

Podunker
Wednesday, April 3, 2013 - 2:51 PM EDT

“Shin splints” was my term, not the doctors. I was not in the exam room with my daughter, so I did not hear what he said her condition was. But she clearly heard him say that she was at risk of suffering a compound fracture. We passionately advised her not to play, but like a lot of other things her parents told her at that age, she ignored our advice. We were relieved when the game was over and she was still in one piece, and we were not at all sympathetic when she complained about how bad her legs hurt in the days after that last game.

Comments

• Track. Kinnaird Sixth at World Junior Championships - IU freshman Tre'tez Kinnaird finished in sixth-place at the World Junior Championships in the 800m run. His time (1:47.13) is the second fastest in school history for the
  • M. Tennis. ITA Day 2 Updated Draws - Updated draws are posted after the second day of the ITA Summer Circuit tournament in
  • R100 DB Lewis loves UM visit, names top four - One of the most publicized visitors at Michigan's BBQ on Sunday was Florida commit Marcus Lewis. The Rivals100 defensive back from
  • IU defeats Purdue in alumni rivalry game - Last night on the campus of IUPUI the Indiana team made a furious comeback to beat the Purdue team
  • 2016 point guard Payton Pritchard talks IU, USA Basketball experience -

It’s been a hectic spring and summer for class of 2016 West Linn (Ore.) point guard Payton Pritchard. The 6-foot floor leader was one of the standouts on the adidas

• Five-star center Thomas Bryant on IU: “They’re recruiting me pretty hard” -

Class of 2015 Huntington Prep (W.V.) center Thomas Bryant is one of 33 players in Colorado Springs this week vying for a spot on USA Basketball’s U17 World Championship

• Indiana Elite advances to championship game - Kyle Guy, Hyron Edwards and others have led the charge this week in
  • Hoosier Links: July 27, 2014 - In today's Hoosier Links there is a story about IU's alumni beating Purdue Saturday night in hoops and an AAU report out of Las
  • Women's Basketball Coach Curt Miller Resigns from Indiana