Oladipo, Zeller also named to Wooden All-America team

Indiana junior guard Victor Oladipo and sophomore center Cody Zeller were also named to the 10-man Wooden All-America team on Monday. During the show on ESPNU announcing the team, Oladipo was interviewed and said he had not yet decided whether or not he will enter the NBA draft.

Also on the squad are Michigan’s Trey Burke, Miami’s Shane Larkin, Creighton’s Doug McDermott, Kansas’s Ben McLemore, Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk, Georgetown’s Otto Porter, Duke’s Mason Plumlee and Ohio State’s Deshaun Thomas.

• Steve in Ottawa says:

Tommy “Naismith” Crean continues to get a lot of flak over his tweets. Crean, like his most loyal apparatchik Podonkey, is however apparently unable to connect to reality. Sad. So sad. Another “Conspicuously Awesome Coaching” Award (CACA) for Crean please. Poopdumper should be the MC.

• Punjab says:

Would you prefer a “Dear God, why do we suck so much” tweet? And does anybody else wonder why so many Kentucky fans are following and tweeting our team’s sites? Was it this way last year when they didn’t have to compensate for their miserable existence by trolling and berating ours? I sure hope our fans are classier, but I suspect a sad few are not.

• Chet says:

Punjab, just because someone posts on the Scoop certainly doesn’t make them an IU fan. The truly classless posts are by the trolls.

• Steve in Los Angeles says:

Punjab just because someone supports Crean doesn’t make them IU fans. The true trolls are the Crean propagandistas who can’t find a flaw in their “idol” no matter how poorly the team performs.

• Steve in Los Angeles says:

And yes, Chet, you identified me correctly as one of the fore most trolls in the history of Hoosier online discussions. I take pride in that label. I have never once said anything that evinces the slightest bit of basketball knowledge. But I am an expert at finding the faults of others, even those at the highest level of their professions.

• Steve in Los Angeles says:

^ Good to know it hit the spot. Truth hurts, doesn’t it?

• Podunker says:

Sorry to break the trolls-in-training string here, but did anyone watch The Golf Channel’s “Feherty” last night. Feherty interviewed Bob Knight. It was funny and interesting. I especially liked the out-takes of Knight, from years ago, trying to hit sand shots. Every shot was followed by a string of long bleeps. It was very funny.

But what I found to be of note was the Ohio State baseball cap Knight wore during parts of the interview. He also discussed recently being enshrined into the OSU Athletic Hall of Fame during the half time of a football game, and how he regretted not taking the OSU coaching job. (I guess he was not too busy to travel to Columbus for that enshrinement). It was pretty clear, from what he said and what he did not say, that he was giving IU the finger. No direct attacks, but based on that interview, I doubt we’ll ever see Bob Knight return to Assembly Hall or any other building on IU’s campus.

• tomahawk sean says:

Tom Crean: The Highlights Reel

Crean & Jim Harbaugh: The Perfect Brothers

I haven’t seen a more fitting pair of hyper-competitive spazzes in Indiana head coach Tom Crean and San Francisco 49ers head man Jim Harbaugh since the movie Step Brothers.
    As you know, Crean married into the Harbaugh family when he wed Jim’s and John’s sister, Joani. But Crean’s real perfect match in the Harbaugh family is his brother-in-law, Jim. Can’t you just picture Crean sneaking into Harbaugh’s room to slam on his drum set and Harbaugh burying Crean alive in the yard after a fight?

You certainly won’t find a pair of brothers who are sorer losers or less gracious in victory.

On one hand, you have Jim. When he loses, he throws notorious temper tantrums on the sideline and complains about the officials afterward. When he wins, he’s either running up the score and asking “What’s your deal?” or slamming you on the back after the midfield handshake.
    Then there’s Tom. When he loses, he’s blowing by opposing coaches during the hand shake, throwing his own tantrums on the sideline and possibly resorting to flopping in late situations. He even throws hissy fits when weekly awards don’t go his way. When he wins, Crean shoves it in your face just like Jim.

That all came to a head on Sunday afternoon after the No. 2 Hoosiers’ beat No. 7 Michigan in dramatic fashion, 72-71, to win the Big Ten title. It was college basketball’s game of the year. And then, unsurprisingly, Crean had to mar it with a bizarre postgame confrontation with Michigan assistant coach Jeff Meyer.

Meyer is a former Hoosiers assistant who was involved in the Kelvin Sampson cell phone scandal that rocked the Indiana program and set it back years. I certainly don’t blame Crean for being bitter. But that doesn’t excuse him from approaching Meyer after a heart-breaking loss and berating him to his face by saying, “You know what you did! You helped wreck the program! You helped wreck out program!” before being restrained with a smirk on his face.

It was a surreal moment that will now be the talk of the sports world on Monday after it was caught on film.

At some point, Crean’s antics have to stop. Either Indiana athletic director Fred Glass needs to sit down and talk with Crean or Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany needs to get on the phone from Chicago. Because it’s gotten to the point now where, win or lose, we are talking more about the postgame actions of Indiana’s head coach than the great games the No. 2 team in the country is playing.
    Today, we should be discussing the awesome performance of IU big man Cody Zeller and how he and his Hoosiers teammates pulled off one of the most dramatic comebacks in recent memory. Crean should be the first one to realize that his postgame antics have taken the spotlight away from where it belongs: His players.

With the NCAA tournament just a week away and Indiana the favorite to win it all, Crean needs to be told how to win and lose with grace now more than ever.

Then, and only then, should Crean and Harbaugh be allowed to build bunk beds together.

The favorite to win it all? Ouch!

• Podunker says:

Scintillating. And I’ll bet those two men are just distraught after reading such criticism.

• tomahawk sean says:

The main similarity that matters, of course, is that Crean and the Harbaughs are successful coaches and know how to win. When I posted #8, it was before I popped my lithium pill, and I was feeling rather snarky.

• stanley pitchfork says:

^ Spazzes too, like you.

• coachv says:

Chet,

Me and you in a Indiana Hoosier trivia showdown. If I lose, I will drop the Rico Chet name. H4H can provide the questions. You game Chet?

• Chet says:

Horselips Chet says yes: go!

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

John Ritter was from what Indiana town?

(No peeking at the internets). Oh, and this is not a question about the late actor from the TV series “Three’s Company.”

• Chet says:

Horeslips Chet says: Goshen, IN.

Now you name the towns Bootsie White and Frank Wilson were from. Go!

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I don’t know. I’ll guess Jeffersonville and Connersville

• Herb Keeper says:

Hammond, IN and Bluffton, IN, come on.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I was still playing with hot wheels for another year or two…I actually played with hot wheels until I was 17 and revisited the passion a about 10 years ago …but give me a break anyways.

Hot wheels and arcades…Space Invaders. Life was simple. Life was good. Life was fun.

Downing was the first player that really caught my attention the first year I ever really got into IU college hoops. I couldn’t tell you where he was from back then. Didn’t really care. I just loved the heart and passion and the fact IU was a Cinderella underdog against Wooden’s UCLA dynasty.

• Sheesh K. Bob says:

Tom Crean is the pheasant from Mt. Pleasant.

• Geoff says:

Was I the last to know that Rico Chet was coachv?

I’ve never really cared or tried to figure out who is who, but does anyone have a key?

This is what I’ve got so far…

Harvard = Lord

Rico = coachv

Tomahawk Sean = Husky Tom (and I think Steve in…)

Clarion = Clarion

What else we got?

• Hap & Stance says:

^ Podunker = Podonkey = Propaganda Nicompoop

• Ben says:

Geoff: FireThadMatta:)

• Lord of the Waxing says:

There’s only one other place I can imagine more of a waxing than what Syracuse poured on IU.

• Jeremy Price says:

Geoff,
    Even I don’t have the key. But a vast majority of recent posts are from the same person with a ton of aliases, including impersonating Chet among others. He/she is now on Scoop vacation, so maybe that will help.

• Ben says:

That’s why a secure log in is needed. Would eliminate the majority of what you and Geoff are talking about.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Penn State men's basketball

• Hoosier Clarion:

McDaniel followed Jon Fabris at the end of the 2013 season. Mark Hage [...]

• Podunker:

Both of you said it well. I think it is well past time for IU and IU' [...]

• NatHillIV:

I just don't get the whole coaching thing. I would think any coach sh [...]

• Podunker:

Is Wilson planning to replace all the defensive coaches (not that I'd [...]

• Double Down:

Before the loss at Penn State, here's where Indiana was: [19-4 (9-1), [...]

• iufan23:

Unfortunately, hard to argue that we are a top 25 team. Realistically, [...]

• Double Down:

Well said, Chet. There's no shame in enjoying what he brought to Indi [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.