ScoopTalk: Thoughts from The Derby Classic

12 comments by   |   Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 2:22 pm EDT

Had some technical issues getting this uploaded, but our thoughts on IU’s Class of 2013 follow.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
Geoff
Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 8:30 PM EDT

It’s been bugging me… I knew that Stan Robinson reminded me of a player, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it until today…

Delonte West (hot sauce in my baaaag…)

Same combo skills. Can shoot the 3, but better mid-range and driver. Can handle, pass, and play D. Same size…. Lefty….

Hoping that he and Yogi have similar chemistry and leadership as West and Jameer Nelson.

Mass Hoosier
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:01 AM EDT

My take on Luke Fischer is that he looks stronger in his legs than Cody. To me, he looks to have better balance, footwork and a lower center of gravity without needing to bend or lower his shoulders. He seems to play better with his back to the basket. He doesn’t have the skill that Cody displayed, but, what he brings is a true Center mentality. Vonleh should flourish.
This class will be fun to watch play and improve. This is the best class Coach Crean has brought in yet.

Geoff
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 11:10 AM EDT

Mass, meant to email you… All your friends back in The 617 safe and sound?

The Abellitionist
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:35 PM EDT

Z-mail….?

Wish I would have thought to use “sending it Z-mail” to describe a Cody dunk.

Podunker
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 3:32 PM EDT

Mass Hoosier, I agree that this is the best class Crean has brought in. Not sure why so many people are doom & gloom about next season, but as I learn more about the 2013 recruiting class, the more excited I become about IU’s future. Yes, IU will be young, but they will also be deeper and more athletic. If they learn to play together and adapt to the college game quickly, we may be enjoying some very exciting times next winter.

Mass Hoosier
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 9:13 PM EDT

Geoff, I have family at the starting line(Hopkinton). I am sure I had friends at the finish, and a few participants, no injuries reported. I also have two good friends that live in Watertown. They were on high alert for a bit to say the least. Pretty intense for those guys, I will talk to them personally in about a month after things settle. Thanks for your concern. I was a little nervous for them.
Po, as much as we loved Jordy, Christian and Derek, those guys overachieved a bit. Someone on hear said they hit their ceiling last year. Without Zeller and Vic, they would not have been very good. Hard work and grit will take you far, but size and athleticism put you over the edge. Like I said, it will be fun watching this team develop over the next few years. Maybe they will put it all together.

Geoff
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 12:14 AM EDT

Mass – I just arrived in Quincy for the week on business. It was strange driving through Boston tonight. Very interested in what the vibe is going to be like all week around here.

Glad to hear all the people you care about here are safe.

Geoff
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 6:16 PM EDT

Mass… So I have been waiting for the stories to pump in… Just talked to my wife and found out her best friend from work (who decided to move to Ohio and join her fiancé) was house-sitting for a month in Watertown until she officially moves and starts her new job…. On the street where Tamarlan expired. She was alone, in a strange town, in a strange house, with bombs and guns going off outside, then in lockdown for a day and didn’t know any of her neighbors. A tad freaky.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 6:58 PM EDT

Personally, in reference to post #92, I think it sounded about as indoctrinate into an Establishment sect of permanent institutionalized academia existence as one can get; a snobby tone of elitism in a privileged world where the language of the positional debate is crafted with such careful precision that it comes away as soulless and beyond any real heartfelt and sincere interpretation.

Summation: Professionalized wishy-washyness.. Probably wears Jesus sandals in the winter. Nothing new from a guy that labeled every kid that played for Sampson as thugs because they wore their hats crooked or drove around Bloomington with boom boxes blaring.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 7:00 PM EDT

..about as [indoctrinated]

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 9:22 PM EDT

He’s going to have to show a lot more mojo and leadership than 3-9(tot fg) and 0-3(3-pt fg).

It’s called put up, or shut up. If you’re going to prance around acting like Billy Jack, you best drain some of those shots you “jack up” in the big contests our raising of future banners hinge upon. In defense of Sheehey, outside of the James Madison game, the team 3-pt. field goal percentages weren’t much better.

NCAA Tournament 3-pt. Field Goal Percentages

vs Syracuse: Team 20.0%(2-15), Sheehey (0-3)
vs Temple: Team 30.8% (4-13), Sheehey (1-3)
vs James Madison: Team 39.1% (9-23), Sheehey (1-4)
__________________________________

Totals: Team (15-51, 25.5%) Sheehey(2-10, 20.0%)

Chet
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 9:54 PM EDT

So, everything hinges on 3-pt fg percentage?

How did we ever evaluate players before the 3-pt shot? Quinn Buckner would have never even made the team.

Comments

• M. Basketball. Paying a Visit to Camp Riley - Photo Gallery | Seven members of the men's basketball team joined over 100 IU student-athletes to visit Camp
  • Student Development. IU Student-Athletes Visit Kids at Camp Riley - IU student-athletes spent nearly three hours Monday night at Camp Riley at Bradford Woods, participating in activities with campers who have disabilities ranging from cerebral
  • Stalker makes Virginia pledge in-person - When West Chester (Ohio) Lakota West linebacker C.J. Stalker decided he was ready to commit to Virginia he made the six-hour drive to
  • Summer video: Juwan Morgan - Juwan Morgan occupies the top spot on our latest 2015 hot board and Peegs.com had the chance to
  • Offseason storylines: What IU needs from Mosquera-Perea -

Welcome to offseason storylines, a look into some of the biggest storylines surrounding the 2014-2015 Indiana Hoosiers. Next up, a look at the potential role of Hanner

• Zeller to join Oladipo on 2014 USA Men’s Select Team -

Former Indiana All-American and Orlando Magic guard Victor Oladipo isn’t the only former Hoosier standout who will get a taste of USA Basketball this summer. USA

• Thon Maker Updates: Visits outline, and more - Thon Maker, the top-ranked player in 2016, continues to improve. His guardian spoke to AllHoosiers.com to update Maker's
  • VIDEO: Williams, Coleman, Battle and Ali - Courtesy of UM Hoops, watch highlights of four IU targets from last weekend at Peach Jam. Featured: Kenny Williams, Tyus Battle, Jalen Coleman and Prince
  • 2015 Recruiting: Big Man Follow Up