ScoopTalk: Thoughts from The Derby Classic

12 comments by   |   Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 2:22 pm EDT

Had some technical issues getting this uploaded, but our thoughts on IU’s Class of 2013 follow.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Ferrell, Robinson enter pretrial diversion program
Mosquera-Perea reaches plea agreement for OWI arrest
CBS to carry a pair of Indiana basketball games #iubb
Big Ten Network to broadcast 17 Indiana basketball games
Guyton writes open letter to Knight, asks him to return to IU
Geoff
Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 8:30 PM EDT

It’s been bugging me… I knew that Stan Robinson reminded me of a player, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it until today…

Delonte West (hot sauce in my baaaag…)

Same combo skills. Can shoot the 3, but better mid-range and driver. Can handle, pass, and play D. Same size…. Lefty….

Hoping that he and Yogi have similar chemistry and leadership as West and Jameer Nelson.

Mass Hoosier
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:01 AM EDT

My take on Luke Fischer is that he looks stronger in his legs than Cody. To me, he looks to have better balance, footwork and a lower center of gravity without needing to bend or lower his shoulders. He seems to play better with his back to the basket. He doesn’t have the skill that Cody displayed, but, what he brings is a true Center mentality. Vonleh should flourish.
This class will be fun to watch play and improve. This is the best class Coach Crean has brought in yet.

Geoff
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 11:10 AM EDT

Mass, meant to email you… All your friends back in The 617 safe and sound?

The Abellitionist
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:35 PM EDT

Z-mail….?

Wish I would have thought to use “sending it Z-mail” to describe a Cody dunk.

Podunker
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 3:32 PM EDT

Mass Hoosier, I agree that this is the best class Crean has brought in. Not sure why so many people are doom & gloom about next season, but as I learn more about the 2013 recruiting class, the more excited I become about IU’s future. Yes, IU will be young, but they will also be deeper and more athletic. If they learn to play together and adapt to the college game quickly, we may be enjoying some very exciting times next winter.

Mass Hoosier
Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 9:13 PM EDT

Geoff, I have family at the starting line(Hopkinton). I am sure I had friends at the finish, and a few participants, no injuries reported. I also have two good friends that live in Watertown. They were on high alert for a bit to say the least. Pretty intense for those guys, I will talk to them personally in about a month after things settle. Thanks for your concern. I was a little nervous for them.
Po, as much as we loved Jordy, Christian and Derek, those guys overachieved a bit. Someone on hear said they hit their ceiling last year. Without Zeller and Vic, they would not have been very good. Hard work and grit will take you far, but size and athleticism put you over the edge. Like I said, it will be fun watching this team develop over the next few years. Maybe they will put it all together.

Geoff
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 12:14 AM EDT

Mass – I just arrived in Quincy for the week on business. It was strange driving through Boston tonight. Very interested in what the vibe is going to be like all week around here.

Glad to hear all the people you care about here are safe.

Geoff
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 6:16 PM EDT

Mass… So I have been waiting for the stories to pump in… Just talked to my wife and found out her best friend from work (who decided to move to Ohio and join her fiancé) was house-sitting for a month in Watertown until she officially moves and starts her new job…. On the street where Tamarlan expired. She was alone, in a strange town, in a strange house, with bombs and guns going off outside, then in lockdown for a day and didn’t know any of her neighbors. A tad freaky.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 6:58 PM EDT

Personally, in reference to post #92, I think it sounded about as indoctrinate into an Establishment sect of permanent institutionalized academia existence as one can get; a snobby tone of elitism in a privileged world where the language of the positional debate is crafted with such careful precision that it comes away as soulless and beyond any real heartfelt and sincere interpretation.

Summation: Professionalized wishy-washyness.. Probably wears Jesus sandals in the winter. Nothing new from a guy that labeled every kid that played for Sampson as thugs because they wore their hats crooked or drove around Bloomington with boom boxes blaring.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 7:00 PM EDT

..about as [indoctrinated]

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 9:22 PM EDT

He’s going to have to show a lot more mojo and leadership than 3-9(tot fg) and 0-3(3-pt fg).

It’s called put up, or shut up. If you’re going to prance around acting like Billy Jack, you best drain some of those shots you “jack up” in the big contests our raising of future banners hinge upon. In defense of Sheehey, outside of the James Madison game, the team 3-pt. field goal percentages weren’t much better.

NCAA Tournament 3-pt. Field Goal Percentages

vs Syracuse: Team 20.0%(2-15), Sheehey (0-3)
vs Temple: Team 30.8% (4-13), Sheehey (1-3)
vs James Madison: Team 39.1% (9-23), Sheehey (1-4)
__________________________________

Totals: Team (15-51, 25.5%) Sheehey(2-10, 20.0%)

Chet
Monday, April 22, 2013 - 9:54 PM EDT

So, everything hinges on 3-pt fg percentage?

How did we ever evaluate players before the 3-pt shot? Quinn Buckner would have never even made the team.

Comments

• W. Soccer. IUWS Alum Velasquez Qualifies For World Cup - Indiana women's soccer alum and 2013 graduate Orianica Velasquez has helped her home country of Colombia qualify for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. If she is selected for the
  • W. Volleyball. Smooth Jazz: Big Ten Preparation - On this weeks episode of Smooth Jazz, sophomore Jazzmine McDonald gives a behind the scenes look at the preparation leading up to the Hoosiers first Big Ten
  • Irwin having huge senior season - Trent Irwin already has about 850 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in his senior season and he deals with double teams all the
  • Latham's improvement accelerates - Billed as one of Kevin Wilson's biggest recruiting prizes two years ago, defensive tackle Darius
  • 2014-2015 ITH season preview: Ohio State Buckeyes -

With the start of college basketball season on the horizon, we’ll be taking a long look at the conference at large as well as Indiana’s roster over the next month. Today,

• 2014-2015 ITH season preview: Michigan State Spartans -

• NBA Daily Cheat Sheet: September 30 - Everything you need to know about the New Orleans
  • Albers Angle: Basketball recruiting tidbits - Indiana hosted an official visitor last weekend and will check in on some 2016 kids soon. Get updated
  • The Indianapolis CYO Won't Let Girls Kick Field Goals, For Some Reason