Vonleh posts three points, six rebounds at McDonald’s All-American Game

Noah Vonleh, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound forward from New Hampton Prep and Indiana’s top-rated recruit for the Class of 2013, had three points and six rebounds in just 11 minutes of action for the East team at the McDonald’s All-American game on Wednesday night at the United Center in Chicago.

Vonleh was extremely active on the glass and got a put-back layup to go 1-for-2 from the field, and his physical play around the rim also got him sent to the free throw line on three separate occasions. However, he was just 1-for-6 at the line, showing a bit of an Achilles heel. He was generally active all over the floor and showed the ability to take the ball up the floor as well as post up, but in 11 minutes, he didn’t get an opportunity to show much else.

Arizona recruit Aaron Gordon posted 24 points and eight rebounds to win MVP honors as the West team defeated the East 110-99. Demetrius Jackson the lone player from the state of Indiana in the game, played 17 minutes. The Notre Dame commitment had five points and four assists.

• IUGRAD89 says:

The one FT he did make – he banked in. Wish he would have got more court time to see more. I think he’s a kid who needs an offense to run – not a natural at the freelance game that gets played in this type of game.

• hiensohn says:

My last Macdonalds allstar game.Announcers blabbed nonstop about nothing.Uniforms so poor you couldn’t make out who was who.and the announcers payed no attention whatsoever to the game.One of the worst coverage of any game at any level.That being said,Vonleh looked interesting.Very athletic,looked like a monster rebounder and shot blocker.Free throws were frightening to watch.

• Aruss says:

With it looking like Zeller is coming back, next year’s team will be much, much more athletic and talented than this year’s team. We should be pre-season top 5 again and favorites for the B1G.

• Jim says:

Favorites for the B1G? We lose more the Michigan and they were one rim-rolling ball away from splitting the B1G regular season title. With McGary’s improved play I don’t even kow that with Zeller I could in good conscience put IU ahead of Michigan going into next year. Maybe a push.

• Punjab says:

Hiensohn, I would argue that the announcers only blabbed on about nothing half the time. The other half of their blabbing was all about Kentucky. Even worse.

• J Pat says:

I have been watching these games since I was a kid and I don’t get why Vonleh or any of the kids don’t get equal playing time. I mean, if you made the team…you are good! 11 minutes, give me a break. It was the Jabari Parker and Aaron Gordon show even before the tip…Vonleh will be at IU 2 years at least and will step in and help immediately next year but he should shoot millions of free throws this summer….excited to have him!!!

• J Pat says:

I have a funny feeling that IF Zeller returns, his game will look completely different next year…would rather have him than old Mitch any day!!!

• Caleb Moore says:

NV is definitely athletic, but he will need to put on strength and need to work on his shot and free throws. I agree I think he’s a two year guy probably. Very fluid with the ball at 6’9″ though which was nice to see. If Zeller comes back (still think that is more a longshot than a sure thing) then we have a nice inside game with adding Fischer and Hanner taking a step (big step needed). Not sure what Jurkin holds. He could be out. Also think Troy Williams is going to make a big impact next year as well. We just need either Remy or Will to take such a big leap one or the other lock down the #2 spot. Either way, we at least wont have an athletic hole at the 2 spot anymore.

• Chet says:

I think Harvard was being honest when he said that he just wanted to see something special in McGary. He looks like a lug to me. Every once in a while he’ll take advantage of a poor matchup but he’s just not that athletic (IMHO). I could see him coming off the bench his entire college career.

All star games don’t mean much. Unless you’re a point guard the stars of those games are usually just the most selfish players. Who needs that?

It is interesting how Hanner worked out (or didn’t). There were quite a few here who thought he was the second coming of Dr. J. I hadn’t seen enough to even form an opinion. They may turn out to be right.

When does Cody (and Victor) have to make his decision official?

• Aruss says:

I find it amusing that after seeing Noah play 11 minutes in an all star game people feel qualified to critique his game.

Also, Michigan will lose Burke, Hardaway and Robinson to the NBA.

• Podunker says:

I doubt Michigan will lose all three to the NBA this year. Burke for sure, but at least one of the other two will probably stay another year.

• Podunker says:

Hello Mr. Alford, we’d like to introduce you to Aaron Gordon of the Arizona Wildcats.

• Florida Hoosier Girl says:

My husband asked me to check your comments just to see what y’all had to say about Noah’s free throw shooting! You didn’t disappoint!

• Michigan’s going to be interesting. They’re going to lose Burke by all accounts and that’s a huge blow. I can see them losing both Robinson and Hardaway, but I could also see them keeping both. Either way, Zak Irvin can step in for one of those guys, and Derrick Walton is really really good as an incoming freshman point guard. Their dynamic changes and I wouldn’t call them the favorite whatever happens, but they will be good.
    If Harris and Payne stay, Michigan State is your favorite hands down, though, but I don’t know what happens there.

• Geoff says:

Dustin,

I would argue if Deshaun Thomas stays that OSU would be the favorite. Craft and Scott wreaking havoc in the backcourt, Thomas doing his thing, another year of maturity for Williams and Ross. Thompson was starting to look like a potential star and 2nd scoring option. A couple top 60 recruits coming in.

Considering Thomas really isn’t much of a pro prospect I see it as a real possibility.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Respectfully disagree with your evaluaions on McGary, Chet. You’re looking at his rather unexcited/tuned out facial expression and body language and not his game. He’s very strong with the opposite hand and he is as quick to the glass as any big I’ve seen in years. He uses the glass on short jump shots with some real finesse. He looks like the brute, but there is some real hunger in the tank and the skills and quickness to compliment that hunger.

If there is an astute NBA exec out there, I would not be surprised if they go after McGary now. McGary could help a ton of NBA teams now. I don’t think Cody is there. Quickness and strong instincts in the boxes trumps all. McGary snags down boards like a vacuum cleaner.

• steve says:

It looks like zeller is coming back? What do you base this on? I cannot believe he only got 11 minutes. I thought they usually got equal playing time in these games.

• tomahawk sean says:

I think what Podonkey wants to say is that Aaron Gordon will likely transfer to UCLA now. I am glad to see you’re coming around Podoinky-donk, slowly but surely—there seems to be some hope for ya.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Not very impressed with Vonleh. If Zeller doesn’t return we’re screwed.

Check out the obvious walk(I assume wasn’t called)at the 00:30 mark of this clip I don’t see the strength it takes to pound on the inside in the Big 10. I see another Perea.

DJ White was more imposing and possessed better foot speed.

• Geoff says:

Well, Chet is probably understating McGary’s value, and per usual, you’re overstating it…

He is a good college player right now. He has the potential to be very good. However he needs to improve his athleticism to contribute at the next level.

He rebounded at about 13 per 40 minutes this year. Cody rebounded at around 11 per 40.

He had exactly 2 double-doubles during the regular season. Cody had 9.

In the last game against IU McGary had 2 points and 2 rebounds. Cody had 25 and 10.

McGary has had an exceptional tournament, but in those games against VCU and Kansas almost all of his shots were uncontested dunks and lay-ins. They weren’t running any offense through him. The defense was never keying on him.

I really like Mitch. I think he’s going to make a big impact in the B1G. I would love to have him as a Hoosier. He would be an excellent compliment to Z. But he isn’t as good as Cody now, nor as ready for the NBA. I certainly wouldn’t trade Cody for him.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

He has a level of coordination to go with the strength/size that Cody will likely never possess.

We pumped up Cody in the weight room…but big arms don’t equate into knowing how to move in the boxes. McGary has instincts that you can’t teach. You don’t need the definition and the tone body. You need game and you need presence when the lights are brightest. You’re wrong on McGary. He has presence and what he’s doing on the biggest stage is unprecedented for a freshman. He’s been deemed by many as the player of the tournament going into the Final Four. He plays upright and quick. He doesn’t lunge at the basket. Nobody in the halls of ESPN saw it coming. Just a guy named Harvard on some tiny ol’ blog nobody reads.

You’re grossly understating his contribution because you know(as does Dustin)I was noticing the kid’s game two years ago when he was totally off the radar.

And how about that Stauskas kid? Another kid that loves the big stage. Looks like the next Larry Bird…Step-back three…Can take his game inside or drill triples from Matt Roth range. Some guys just love the big stage and some shrink. That’s how you define a “superstar”…It’s not just about raw talent and athleticism.

• Geoff says:

Harvard,

Honestly you’re the biggest hater in the Scoop. The rest of these trolls are just that… trolls. You want desperately to be taken seriously, but all you do is trash on our coach, players, and recruits.

Go take a deep breath… Look in the mirror… Ask yourself, “am I really a Hoosier fan, or just addicted to the Scoop?” Then come back.

Vonleh was probably the youngest kid playing in that game. He’ll be 17 when he graduates. He is extremely unselfish. If you want that “superstar” mentality because he’s highly ranked, you’re going to have to look for it elsewhere. He is a quiet, humble kid. His best skill right now is his rebounding, which he showed… 6 boards in only 11 minutes… But he also has considerable perimeter skills. Clearly more basketball skill than HPM, and if you can’t see that after that short clip you gave us then you should stop evaluating basketball altogether. In 6 games in the Adidas Nations tourney last summer he averaged 19 & 11 against the best competition in the world at his age group.

Oh, and by the way, the travel wasn’t called because the ball got knocked out of his hands… He still gathered it on the fly and finished in one motion.

Besides Crean, Cody, and Vonleh are there any other Hoosiers you’d like to sh!t all over today?

• Geoff says:

2 years ago McGary was a 5-star recruit that was ranked behind only Nerlens Noel in his class. If he’s sneaking up on you it’s because you were never paying attention in the first place.

McGary has done exactly 2 things in the half court – catch dump off passes when their talented perimeter players drive and draw his man, then lay it in uncontested… And get weak side rebounds off perimeter shots and lay it in.

He is playing well. He is in the right place at the right time, which is definitely a skill. But the opponents are game-planning for 4 guys ahead of him. UM is not running any offense through him. There is no dump-it-in-to-Mitch-and-let-him-go… He never sees a double team.

Mitch is good. He’s coordinated. He’s got quick feet. He positions himself well. He’s got man strength. He will only get better. However, everything I said above is true as well.

Now this is what I’m saying about your comments… “Superstar” isn’t a specifically defined thing. It means different things to different people. To you “superstar” means so done who performs when the lights are brightest. That isn’t the case for others though. To marketing gurus and many fans “superstar” is defined by raw talent and athletic ability. For example, Dwight Howard is a superstar by every measure except yours. I also think you definition is short-sighted and convenient… How many times do you need to step up in the big moments? Once? Twice? One NCAA tourney? Are you allowed to average 7 points and 6 rebounds over 30 games and then be completely re-labeled because you had 2 exceptional stat lines?

• Podunker says:

I think maybe Sean has been hit in the head with a tomahawk, cause he displays diminished cognitive abilities.

I believe Arizona will be the favorite to win the Pacific 12 next season.

• Podunker says:

Geoff, two excellent posts (#22 & #23). But I don’t believe Harvard is a hater. I’m not defending Harvard’s continuous attacks (he needs no defense), but he reminds me of the main character in “The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha.” If you’ve ever read this classic, you’ll understand. If not, perhaps you’re familiar with the term “tilting at windmills.” On those occasions when I read Harvard’s posts, usually the isolated comments, not those where he’s writing his own string followed with a dozen consecutive posts, I’m reminded of that story and its main character, Don Quixote. It’s not hate, it’s something else.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Chet:

Some NFL teams have been rolling the dice with questionable players fo [...]

• Podunker:

A few more thoughts. I'll take IU's lack of winning tradition in foot [...]

• Podunker:

What's it going to take? It's not Spriggs' size or strength, it's not [...]

• Podunker:

Great points, Chet. And I agree completely with your comments. Aside [...]

• Chet:

Not UNC fans but there are plenty of non-UNC fans in the state. That [...]

• Podunker:

Like most bureaucracies, the NCAA has morphed into an organization tha [...]

• Chet: