Abell narrows transfer list to St. Louis, St. Mary’s and Xavier

53 comments by   |   Tuesday, May 7, 2013 - 9:02 pm EDT

Former Indiana guard Remy Abell confirmed a report from Justin Albers of Inside The Hall that he has narrowed his list of potential transfer destinations to St. Louis, St. Mary’s and Xavier.

Abell said that he will take an official visit to Xavier on Friday and St. Louis on Monday. He said he’s in the process of putting together a visit to St. Mary’s, which he hopes will occur later next week. He hopes to make a decision on his destination shortly thereafter.

“They’re all tournament teams,” Abell said. “They’re all great programs. They’re all in good conferences. … I feel like those schools are the best for me as far as wanting to get into the tournament and get more playing time. I just want to go somewhere to get a fresh start. I felt like those were the schools where I would feel the most comfortable and the happiest.”

Abell said he was also contacted by Boise State, Butler, Georgia Tech, IUPUI, LaSalle, Murray State, Providence, Southern Mississippi, Tennessee Tech, Texas El-Paso, and Western Kentucky before narrowing his list.

St. Louis and St. Mary’s were both NCAA Tournament teams this season with St. Mary’s winning one of the First Four games before falling in the second round to Memphis and St. Louis winning a second round game as a No. 4 seed before being upset by Oregon. Xavier did not reach the postseason this year, going 17-14, but the Musketeers have been a consistent NCAA team for more than a decade.

Abell was not specific about his reasons for wanting to transfer in the first place. He hinted that playing time was part of the reason after he averaged 12.5 minutes per game last season as a reserve guard, but he had reason to believe his role would expand with the departures of junior guard Victor Oladipo and senior guard Jordan Hulls. He repeatedly said that he simply believed he needed a “fresh start.”

“People have told me and I’ve heard a lot of stuff about people leaving,” Abell said. “I felt like I just needed a fresh start,. Everybody there, the coaching staff, my teammates and the whole school have been very supportive. I can’t thank them enough. I wish them the best. I felt like I will always have a piece of Hoosier in my heart, it will always be my first school. I really enjoyed it there. … It’s hard to leave a program like Indiana. It was one of toughest decisions I ever had to make. But I decided that a fresh start was what was going to make me happy.”

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
coachv
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 12:21 AM EDT

remy,

I coached in moraga. go to st. Mary’s! your basketball career isn’t going further than college so go enjoy beautiful, sunny California. san Francisco is only a half-hour away. and the women? please. besides, cincy and st. Louis are holes. go west, young man…and see the world.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 12:41 AM EDT

I also like the idea of St. Mary’s. No better place for a free spirit, hard worker, cool customer, and dreamer. What was being sold at Indiana may have been too heavy for an unselfish decent heart interested more in winning than in chasing villains.

I’m very happy for the young man. I wouldn’t sell him short of any his desires.

Greg
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 10:34 AM EDT

Enter Harvard and the melodramatic nonsense. “Chasing villains”…ha.

Chet
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 11:00 AM EDT

It IS a beautiful area. One of my favorites.

Hit the road, Remy. You went from Louisvile to Bloomington. Try something new.

J Pat
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 12:16 PM EDT

The more I read about Remy the more confused I am. I want a fresh start and more playing time…what? My gosh, he was going to play 20 plus minutes this year. I don’t see him playing much more than that at these 3 schools. I am shocked that he would not stay and compete. I wish him luck and the best but will not follow him.

Oregoniu
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 12:52 PM EDT

I agree, If I were Remy, I would choose St. Mary’s. I spent 4 years in Bloomington and 8 years in Moraga and can say both places have their pluses, but both are very different in what they have to offer. If Remy is looking for a comlete change, I second the admonation, “Go West Young man!!”. But, on the other hand, I was really sad as an IU fan to see Remy leave the program.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 12:55 PM EDT

It would be interesting to see his mpg stat once the Big 10 season began. There were stretches deep into the season that it seemed he barely saw a couple minutes per game.

There has been a lot of talking about “risk” lately.. I didn’t see our backcourt as exceeding deep last season. Remy was a recruit that fell into Crean’s lap just a few months before the beginning of the season(not a kid that he likely kept on his radar). If my recollection is correct, the fact that his school of original choice made a coaching change, NCAA rules allowed Remy to become immediately eligible. Remy was selected by IU as an insurance policy. It was a very lucky move for Crean and worked out pretty well for Remy. The kid saved our ass in the tournament two years ago against VCU. Without his taking care of the ball when Jordy had his meltdown, there is no back-to-back Sweet 16(nor is Sheehey allowed to be a hero with a bounding ball a rim allowing a go-ahead bucket). In all likelihood, we’re not in the VCU game without Remy’s coming up big in another ‘thrown in the fire’ episode.

And how did that level of backbone and ability to come through under pressure find its rewards…? Did he have the chance this past season to really get into the flow of any game? 12 minutes per game.

And this 12 mpg came with a smaller backcourt. Now we have bigger guards coming in that can take away the pluses a kid like Remy could provide last season.

He’s making a smart move. He needs a coach/program willing to invest the time to hone his skills. He needs the time on the floor to take a body built for the game to blend into the feel, pace, and needed consistent stroke. He wasn’t going to get that on an Indiana team stacked with interchangeable guards/wings with a very solid returning point guard from Indy.

Come on, JPat. Look at the total picture. Insurance policy..No real steady love in his recruitment. He wants time on the floor and he probably wants a sense of a real shot to prove himself..He wants a coach willing to give him a chance with something that could blossom into a permanent starting role or a role that finds similar minutes to what Sheehey was getting off the Hoosier bench(22 mpg).

With two years of college still on the plate, it’s a very wise move. It’s really his only shot at being noticed and developing his skills enough to play at the next level(or, at minimum, be an NBA/Europe longshot).

There…No cheap shots at Crean.

Ron
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 12:59 PM EDT

Harvard. Without a question, that is possibly the best post you have ever written.

WOW

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 2:54 PM EDT

Thanks, Ron…

It still fell short of anything Geoff could provide to the Yacht Club, but I still appreciate the nod of approval.

I do want to make a couple minor corrections to the first sentences of the 2nd paragraph.

There has been a lot of talking about “risk” lately.. I didn’t see our backcourt as exceedingly deep last season. Remy was a recruit that fell into Crean’s lap just a few months before the beginning of the 2011-12 season(not a kid that he likely kept on his radar).

docdave
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 3:29 PM EDT

I liked Remy, but he was terrible with team defense. His teammates were always on him for not switching properly and he didn’t have great mechanics on his shot. I hate to bash him much, because he seemed like a great guy and he enjoyed the time on the team. Let’s move on.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 3:47 PM EDT

And you think Sheehey is strong at ‘team defense?’ I saw nothing better in his team defense and I saw far less in man-to-man. And Sheehey had twice the minutes on the floor to get acclimated to switching, spacing, helping, and team defense.

There’s a lot of great shooters in the NBA with less-than-ideal mechanics.

Remy takes the guiding hand off the ball early. Oscar Robertson and George McGinnis had huge hands and great control with somewhat similar style(McGinnis being almost entirely a one-handed jump shooter). I think Remy would be wise to keep the guiding hand on the ball..Keep his grip soft and work on rotation off the fingertips. He gets good elevation on his jumper and I think his depth management/distance control would be better with a nanosecond longer involvement of the off-hand. Just my opinion.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 3:59 PM EDT

Ron
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 4:05 PM EDT

“keep the guiding hand on the ball. Keep his grip soft and work on rotation off the fingertips”.

Uhh ok. Uhhh – nothing, sorry. Mind was wandering for a minute.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 4:05 PM EDT

Don’t let the guiding hand slip around the front of the ball. Keep the guiding hand soft and think it in to the backside of the rim.

Ron
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 4:07 PM EDT

Rim…? What….?

docdave
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 4:09 PM EDT

I was focusing on Abell. I think his other problem with mechanics is that his shot has a “hitch” in it and makes for a really slow release.

Sheehey has his faults as well, but over all, he was a more significant player. Just my opinion, of course.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 4:13 PM EDT

Ron-

You’re delightfully funny. I should have also mentioned that Remy may have a little too much cock in the elbow as well…I wouldn’t overly concentrate on too many things at once. Start with getting the hand off the front of the ball and keeping the guiding hand soft.

Remy also is very skilled at penetration. Just needs to learn how to finish and absorb contact….a little too looseygoosey going to rack.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 5:07 PM EDT

Here’s a good photo depicting the “overly cocked” elbow and the off-hand wrapping around the front of the ball(which would be more evident if the arms were brought down from the peak position shown in the photo). This extra bend in the elbow takes more time, creates the extra arch in the back, forces more ball grip, and makes him shoot the ball in more of a slingshot fashion(making it very difficult for distance control).

I still start with the hands. Fix the hands and he can’t bring the ball back that far.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 5:19 PM EDT

‘The Big O’ had a sweet little quick release(kept it high without bringing it back excessively)…Takes a lot of wrist..a lot of hours …and sprawling spider-man hands.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 5:25 PM EDT

Watch ‘The Big O’ go to one hand during a warm-up shot at the 0:48 mark of this clip. Effortless.

Geoff
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 6:55 PM EDT

I’m more of a fan of correcting a release point , follow through, and foot preparation this deep into a players development. It’s damn near impossible to reinvent a form once a kid gets college.

Remy’s main problem is that he isn’t a good enough player to ever be much more than he is… Not with the talent we’ll have over the next couple years. He isn’t savvy enough to play the point and he isn’t skilled enough to play the 2. He is all grit and balls, which is great for a back-up or a mid-major.

I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 7:17 PM EDT

It is mostly release. The elbow is too cocked so he’s releasing late and adding unneeded grip on the ball.

I think you’re wrong about his potential. I think there’s more than just “grit and balls.” I believe Crean was once quoted in saying he was the best athlete on the team. That’s not too shabby with guys like Oladipo in the comparison pool.

He needs time on the court to build confidence and hone the skills. I think he was tentative this year because as the mpg dwindle the “risk taking” and experimentation to take your game to full throttle gets shackled by fear of getting yanked to the penalty box/bench.

Sometimes that risk-averse tentativeness can be interpreted as lack of savvy. Time will tell. I’m obviously biased because I adore the kid’s attitude and his unselfish exuberance. Hard to write off a kid that seems to love the game that much.

Go Bulls!!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 7:48 PM EDT

Miami vs. Bulls is getting fun..Give ‘em hell, Nate!

#24 Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 7:48 PM EDT

Clarification point. Crean never said Abell was the best athlete on the team, but did say that “off the street,” he was the best player on the team at getting to the ball to the rim. That was before Oladipo got his dribble drive game together and before Ferrell showed up. But still legitimate praise.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 7:55 PM EDT

That’s why I phrased the athleticism statement with “I believe Crean was once quoted…”

I’m still going to research it though..There may have been more than one quote from Crean regarding Abell’s athleticism. When you’re looking at overall strength(upper body and lower body), I believe he was the best athlete on the team. The kid would make a hell of a tailback.

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 8:13 PM EDT

Dustin, you are correct with the getting to the rim by RA.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 8:32 PM EDT

Still searching, but there was this:

“Remy doesn’t have an idea of how good he is. He really doesn’t,” Crean said. “I love him to death and we’re coaching him every day to figure this out, but he doesn’t have an idea of how talented he is, how tough and strong he is.

“We’ve gotta get Remy to go from flashes to consistency. He’s one of the most well-loved guys in that locker room. He’s a great kid, great personality, incredibly hard-working student. And I don’t think he’s scratching the surface of how good he can be when he’s out on the court. And that’s what we need from him.” Tom Crean

And that equaled 12 mpg. Now you know why he’s transferring.

Geoff
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 8:33 PM EDT

Harvard – 95% of the time the cream rises to the top. (The other 5% usually involves a youth movement in a rebuilding program) There is about a 1% chance that Crean had some anti-Remy agenda that kept CTC from playing him. Winning is too precious at that level to not put your best players on the floor.

Either Crean didn’t trust him or he just wasn’t plain good enough. I never saw a talent level that would warrant a starting position at IU (or the other 3 schools he’s considering for that matter). Maybe I’ll be wrong. I’ll be happy if I am, and I’ll be more than happy to admit on here.

Geoff
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 8:42 PM EDT

What I read there from Crean backs my overall opinion of Remy… He always seemed to be reacting. He always seems to have a look of confusion on his face when he wasn’t in a direct attack, which wasn’t very often. He never looked liked he was in control of the situation or a step ahead of the defense.

If he caught it he could knock down an open shot. If he was in transition he could go to the hoop. He had some clutch in him (in moments like that usually less thought is better than more). He had moments where he was disruptive on the ball… But he was never a play-maker on the court.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 9:11 PM EDT

And now you go on your quest to dismantle Remy. A true Hoosier fan.

He bailed our asses out against VCU. Your hero couldn’t handle the ball pressure…Jordy couldn’t handle the ball pressure.. Sheehey could never handle the ball pressure.

Watford provided some relief. There would be no bragging rights to back-to-back Sweet 16′s without Abell. There would be no bragging rights for a road win at Purdue which created a huge lift for a team looking for an answer.

You’re wrong and you’re dismantling the kid because he’s now no longer in a Hoosier uniform. It’s a sign of your character. It reminds me a lot of how small-minded fans took their wide brushes to paint every kid on the Sampson team as a degenerate thug…or how they attempted to label Gordon as crap when he wasn’t “clutch” with a broken wrist in a tournament game. What a surprise…Now there’s no redeeming value in clutch. Defeatism at its finest. Classy.

Harvard’s long standing faith in the kid(and my early belief that he had a high ceiling when I so strongly advocated putting him in a Hoosier uniform in the spring of 2011)is the only reason you dove into this thread to start gnawing at his flesh.

Lovely how you get off on telling a kid he’s not good enough to go after his dream. You sound like the type of guy that would chase down an assistant coach…searching for something or someone to crap on or make villain because your own insecurities are fed in the taking down others for reasons your own inability to lift yourself up.

#31 Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 9:47 PM EDT

Though they want to rain on your parade, go get ‘em Remy!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 10:12 PM EDT

Of course, we could go with Geoff’s ‘Tech N9ne’ choice for Oladipo.

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 10:24 PM EDT

You can’t argue with the fact that the man knows his basketball…and the essence of what players sens about their coaches. HfH, ever think of becoming a hs coach, or a Semper Fi Marine?

Geoff
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 11:50 PM EDT

Couldn’t be any further from the truth Harvard. Here is the difference between you and I…. You are blinded by your loyalties… I am not.

Hulls is one of my top 5 favorite Hoosiers of all time, but I’ve pointed out his limitations on here as well. You have given me loads of crap for it.

Dipo is right there with Smart as my favorite Hoosier… But just last year people were giving me crap because I was writing down scouting reports on our team and breaking down Dipo’s weaknesses.

I will tell my children and grandchildren about how Zeller basically resurrected the program… I’ve told everyone that will listen that he’s the best ball-screen defender I’ve ever seen at the college level… But I also point out his weaknesses, and for that you endlessly bash on me.

I’m doing the same thing with Remy that I’ve done with my favorite Hoosiers. I’m sorry he’s your adopted son, so it doesn’t fit your manuscript. He was what he was. It’s what he always would have been at IU. I can accept that and would have welcomed that role upon his return. He couldn’t accept it, and apparently neither can you.

No one is gnawing at his flesh. My compliments and my criticisms are fair and just. The reason you think otherwise is because you have overhyped him to a ridiculous degree in your own noggin.

Geoff
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 12:07 AM EDT

Tsao – I’m sure you can get a clear consensus with that last statement.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 1:24 AM EDT

You are blinded by your stats.

My second choice for a title to that clip was…”Tom Crean studies for upcoming Syracuse game.”

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 1:40 AM EDT

And Zeller didn’t resurrect crap. He bailed for money instead of bringing a banner back to Indiana. His hyped press conferences(when signed with Indiana and announcing his upcoming millionaire status) put a limelight on his undeserving weak fortitude and abandonment of loyalty in going after something bigger than individualistic pursuits.

You’re telling your grandchildren a fairytale. Legends are guys that won’t leave for the NBA until the cloth is hoisted. Oladipo may have a better shot at NBA stardom, but that makes it no less the delusion to think of him as a resurrection hero.

VJ III is more Indiana than those dollar chasers.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 1:52 AM EDT

…abandonment of loyalty in [not] going after something bigger than individualistic pursuits.

If your mission was to resurrect the program, then you risk every muscle and bone in your body to put IU two banners ahead of Duke. That’s a Hoosier legend. If his plan was to bail in 2 years, then he should have went to Duke(he would have had better coaching and better post play preparation for a too early exit to join the money whores of the NBA).

Geoff
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 5:43 AM EDT

That is personal opinion Harvard. Not fact. I don’t think Zeller was a one man show, but IU went from 20 losses to 25+ win seasons when he got here. Other recruits followed him. The trickle down effect is tangible whether you care to admit it or not.

Sorry your feelings got hurt by your players. Remy quit on the team for individualistic reasons as well. You are blinded by your favoritism. I’ve never been blinded by my stats, they are simply the evidence that I can provide, if needed, to back up my points. You lack tangible evidence to support your theories at about a 90% clip. (There’s a good stat for you)

Not Podunker
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 8:34 AM EDT

[...] You are blinded by your favoritism. I’ve never been blinded by my stats, they are simply the evidence that I can provide

Absolute bull. Only a few months ago you were arguing that lots of things were responsible (the sun and the moon, motion of the planets around the sun etc.) for the switch from 20+ losses to 20+ wins per season. Now Zeller is your saviour. The truth Goofy is that you’re sniffing paint far too often for your posts to actually mean anything any more.

Chet
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 8:46 AM EDT

Harvard, you seem to think that only you thought Remy was good enough to play for IU. You do realized that it was Tom Crean, not you, who recruited and signed him, right?

Moving back to the NBA for just a sec. Did anyone else notice during the hub bub of Jason Collins the frequent referencing to his playing time? I heard at least a half dozen ‘experts’ refer to the fact that the minutes were deceptive because the NBA just doesn’t have many true 7 footers and hasn’t for a long time but they really needed him ‘against 5 or 6 teams’.

Several guys used the same line, “It’s not like the ’60s and ’70s when every team had a quality 7 footer.”

Carry on.

GoodKidsOnly
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 9:57 AM EDT

How is this a “family” board with the constant vulgar language?

And you guys know Harvard just keeps making crap up so you’ll all pay attention to him, right?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 11:33 AM EDT

Remy quit on the team for individualistic reasons as well.

First, I highly doubt Cody and Oladipo were told by their coach that their minutes would dwindle if they stayed another year at IU.

Once a team is dismantled, it’s pretty hard to put Remy’s individualistic pursuits on the same page(a kid that has already been told conflicting messages by his coach in terms of his super high ceiling and then being told his goals may be fulfilled better elsewhere). And maybe Remy had additional trouble with the possible feelings he was duped by the coach and the ‘elite’ teammates selling the “glory of ‘ol IU” and then watching them encouraged to bolt for the bucks instead staying together to complete the banner mission.

At the end of the day, I think they we’re all somewhat used for the wrong reasons. I think they were recruited for Tom Crean and not for Indiana. When kids are excessively hyped(whether it occurs when signed or when they skyrocket after putting on the jersey), glorified by fans/radio blowhards/hometown journalists/ /a newly hired coach desperate for validation before they even put on the uniform, hyped continually with videos and national magazine covers, there is no doubt that perceived success moves into the self-anointing phases and team pride is replaced by individualistic ideas of success.

Things have changed a lot even in the last 10-15 years…Young men are 24/7 marketing themselves on YouTube and every possible social media outlet. They are deluged by rankings and mock drafts and every ESPN dial on the tube talking of their individual greatness.

GoodKidsOnly
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 11:50 AM EDT

And maybe, you just pull stuff out of your butt 24/7 because you hate Christians and will use any excuse to rip them.

If Crean hadn’t encouraged both Zeller and Victor to leave, he should have been fired.

The point of college is to prepare you for life. It isn’t to “play basketball” and make losers like you “feel good inside.”

Victor graduated and played himself to be a lottery pick. Only a complete SELFISH moron would say he should come back.

And Zeller’s stock would only fall even more if he came back. This is the weakest draft in 20 years and next year’s draft is loaded.

Again, only someone SELFISH would say he should come back.

And to think you rip Crean all the time for “only thinking about himself”……talk about projection.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 11:54 AM EDT

GoodPusOnly returns.

GoodKidsOnly
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 11:56 AM EDT

Thanks for admitting I was right by ducking everything while calling me names.

You are what you hate.

The ONLY thing you care about is YOURSELF.

Now, go cry to Dustin to have me kicked off because you can’t handle different opinions when they show what a fraud you are.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 12:00 PM EDT

They’re not allowing me to post anything more than two sentences, Laffy.

They must have set the table exclusively for you. And look at the wonderful buffet you just presented.

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 12:05 PM EDT

Truly a sign from heaven.

#49 Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 12:06 PM EDT

Laffy,
You’ve got it mixed up. Harvard doesn’t e-mail me to get you booted off. It’s the other way around. Also, I don’t need him to e-mail me to get you kicked off, I can do that myself. I wasn’t sure this was you, so thanks for outing yourself.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 12:14 PM EDT

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense when I’m claiming both Cody and Oladipo are putting individualistic pursuits ahead of what was sold as a collection of players that would not be satisfied until every possible drop of crimson blood was put on the court in pursuit of a championship banner. I didn’t know “the Movement” was a 15 year train and Sweet 16′s were the new standard of excellence at IU. 1987 was our last banner…We’re approaching 30 years…It’s time for men and not boys that want a Rolls-Royce more than Don Fischer going absolutely crazy with Royce Waltman as the Hoosiers bring home the ultimate prize.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 12:43 PM EDT

Yeah, let’s let coaches “prepare you for life” as we proclaim you’re the greatest thing on earth since sliced bread because you can play basketball..And then we’ll throw a gazillion dollars at you before you can legally rent a car, be a driving instructor, or get responsibly plastered at Kilroy’s with Dustin.

Give me a break. If you want to be catapulted into manhood, then serve your country before serving your selfish needs. Stepping on a roadside bomb vs. Fear of your NBA stock falling? Oh, the tough decisions in becoming a man.

Have you watched the NBA? Did you watch the Bulls vs. Heat last night? Did you watch the ejections and the well-adjusted scream their vulgarities to the heavens? Sure looked like a bunch of mature adults that have learned many a life’s lesson. I’ve seen babies in playpens less corrupted by the lure of the one big bouncy ball.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 1:01 PM EDT

Harvard “ducking everything”…?

Even Ali knew when to do a little rope-a-dope.

Rico Harvard for Hillbillies