Hoosiers staying on Bluiett

FORT WAYNE — Indiana was the first school to offer Park Tudor forward Trevon Bluiett a scholarship back in 2010, just before his freshman season. Bluiett is still taking his time with making a commitment and has picked up crates full of scholarship offers since, but the Hoosiers have maintained contact and tried to keep a personal touch on the correspondence.

Bluiett said IU assistant coach Tim Buckley sends hand-written letters as often as possible, usually with either inspirational quotes or observations on Bluiett’s game.

“That means a lot,” said Bluiett, who said Butler is the only other school that consistently sends him hand-written letters. “Most of the people type stuff up on a computer, switch the heading and the names and that type of stuff. You know if someone takes the time out of their day to write you a letter, that means a lot.”

That’s kept the Hoosiers, the school of his former Park Tudor teammate Yogi Ferrell, on his radar, but the multi-talented 6-foot-5 swingman has a massive radar screen at this point. The No. 46 player in the Class of 2014 has 12 offers according to Rivals.com, with Butler, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas State, Louisville, Michigan, Notre Dame, Purdue, UCLA and Xavier among them. Northwestern and Pittsburgh both offered scholarships this week and UCLA just entered the game when new head coach Steve Alford hired coach Ed Schilling away from Park Tudor to be his assistant. Bluiett said he’s trying to keep that from being too big of a determining factor in his recruitment but that it is a factor.

“It changes things a little bit,” Bluiett said. “He’s been my mentor since sixth grade. That definitely means a lot. He’s like a second dad to me. … But I can’t be biased toward his side. I’m happy for him that he got the job, but at the same time it’s a business for him and for me. I can’t treat him differently than other coaches because that’s just not fair.”

• Aruss says:

Sounds like we have a soft verbal commitment from Vijay Blackmon. Dustin – please confirm.

• slojoe says:

It’s more like a silent verbal. The word is that Vijay said he wanted to commit and CTC told him to wait.

• Just talked to Vijay yesterday and nothing like that came up or was suggested. I also didn’t hear anything about a silent verbal at that point and was more interested in writing a story about James, so I didn’t put it point blank to him, but I didn’t get the impression he was close.

• Podunker says:

Does the state of Michigan produce any good High School basketball players anymore? Every time I read a story about a talented High School player from Indiana, Michigan and Michigan State have made the kid an offer. Seems like those coaches understand what state produces the best High School talent.

Seems like our two rival schools from the north have grown quite comfortable recruiting our state’s best High School basketball talent. I can understand why that happened for most of the last decade, but now that IU basketball has righted the ship, we need to make sure we’re signing the best basketball talent to play college basketball at an in-state school.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Dane Fife….Best damn player to ever come out of Michigan..Nearly cost Mike Davis and the Hoosiers a trip to the Elite 8(and eventual Final Four) by fouling on a last second three point shot when Indiana was up four.

Fife knows where to find talent. He knows it’s the guys from Indiana that won’t play for the preacher. It’s not that big of a challenge. And let’s not forget that Fife was a Knight recruit…He brings a lot of connections from Indiana to MSU. Why in the hell do you think UCLA hired Alford? …For his hair?

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

And Knight will forever do zero to help Tom Crean make any inroads in validating himself through the old “General.”

This is why I proclaimed years ago that Crean quit chasing the man around…It’s why I suggested getting rid of all those posters of Knight and his disciples in the Cook Hall/Bobby’s Banners Museum.

It’s not Harvard that can’t let go. It’s Indiana and Crean that want to schmooze and still be validated by the man. Be you own man. I knew Crean was not capable of building the program from the inside outward..He has to chase down Sampson villains and chase down Bobby when he’s working the broadcast table at a game in Crean’s favorite recruiting zone.

And then just last year we have another dumb gathering to celebrate the 87 Hoosiers. Who the hell cares? Who is still feeling all warm and fuzzy when Steve Alford walks onto McCracken other than Crean? Wake up, Podunker…And quit ruining this blog with your ridiculous blinders and lack of truth.

• Chico Rect(um) says:

Didn’t Vijay Blackmon win the Masters at some point? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Harvard hates Crean because he likes Sampson. The two are mutually exclusive in his mind; you can’t like one without hating the other. That’s really the his whole view, in a nutshell. It’s preschool logic, similar to feeling like you have to hate Burger King because you like McDonald’s. Or hate fish because you like birds.

• Aruss says:

Thanks for confirming the silent verbal, guys. It reminds me of the Kentucky situation with Hawkins. We just need to fill out the 14 class with Pinson and Exum and we are gold.

• Ron says:

Watching the last 9 minutes of the Pacer game. First view of the NBA since….whenever Shaq was in Orlando.
    Maybe 1995?

So it would be hard to find someone with less knowledge or interest in pro BB, but I don’t see Cody having any impact on the game. At least if they all are played like this one. Vic, on the other hand I can see flourish in that enviroment.

• Aruss says:

Ron – I think Cody will develop his outside shot and be a Chris Bosh type. Not the main guy but a good sidekick that will average a double double.

I don’t watch the NBA as much as I sue to either because the product has become so diluted. I couldn’t for the life of me recognize many of the players on today’s games on ABC. The Pacer’s Young was brutally bad and had no clue who he was. If a Kenyon Martin and Rasheed Wallace are still in the league, you know the quality of player is bad so I have no doubt Cody will contribute wherever he goes. His Christian spirit alone will give him a Tebow type popularity.

• Geoff says:

Aruss… Did you really write that last sentence? I thought you were trying to put the lid on the can of worms and now you peel it wide open…. Anyway, I won’t go on and on, but I’ll say this:

1) Tebow was maybe the best college football player ever (Cody wasn’t close)
    2) Tebow’s Christianity was a known commodity before he went to the NFL

(Cody’s isn’t, I mean heck, I didn’t even know he was Chrisitian and I’m an IU fan that tends to consume IU news. I mean I guess I sorta knew, but not because his parents run some kind of Christian organization and Harvard I think has mentioned it before… But I’ve never heard Cody talk overtly Christian)

3) there’s already a Zeller that played for a blue blood program… Who had an all-american season… That was drafted in the mid-1st round… And was starting in the NBA – He is not enjoying any wild popularity.

So, basketball acumen aside, I don’t see any evidence that would lead me to believe that Cody will gain any star from his Christianity. He will have to produce to get talked about.

• Chico Rect(um) says:

Good point Geoff.

The Christian Spirit of Shawn Bradley sure helped his star shine didn’t it (and yes, I consider Mormonism to be Christian).

• Aruss says:

Geoff – i was just mocking Dustin for legitimizing this moronic spirituality conversation. He seems to have forgotten that we follow sports as an escape to get away from the overly politicized bs that has infiltrated our daily life. It’s one thing for him to discuss it a single time as an interesting change of pace but to harp on it for 6 months like a broken record is beyond ridiculous. After a couple days of the same thing we all get it, you’re a miserable loser who tries to pass himself off as an anti-establishment free thinker.

• Geoff says:

Gotcha. Sorry. I was a little surprised it was coming from you… Shoulda figured it out on my own.

• Mariner Tom says:

Aruss- I would argue that the “we” you are talking about is not the “we” of this blog, by and large. The long, frequent, tangential conversations that you see here show that the Hoosier Scoop is not a “sports as escapism” type of place, at all (that’s Inside the Hall). I’d say that majority of Scoop bloggers, and even Dustin, are inquisitive and thoughtful people who are constantly trying to figure out how sports fits into our larger social context and relates to contemporary issues. To me, this is a perfectly legitimate and interesting take on the sports world. One can only talk so long about the technical aspects of a recruit’s jump shot, or the merit of a coaching style (especially during the summer).

I agree with the “broken record” comment, but understand that it’s really only Harvard who you are talking about (or whoever chooses to be his antagonist-of-the-week).

Long live the Hoosier Scoop – the most unique college sports blog in America.

• Chet says:

Harvard, just out of curiosity, who WOULD you have liked to have been named coach of the Hoosiers. Let’s assume Sampson couldn’t stay on (I think that’s fair to say). Also, while it may not make the news up your way, living in North Carolina I can assure you that no coach preaches the Good Book any more than Coach K (or uses profanities).

So, those two have excluded themselves but, otherwise, who did (would) you want?

• Geoff says:

Brad Stevens is the commonly referred to guy in his posts.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Mariner, great comment.

• Aruss says:

Mariner Tom – stop taking Dustin’s side just to suck up to him.

• Chet says:

OK, Stevens got off to a good start at Butler but I think it’s safe to say that hiring a coach with a total of one year of head coaching experience in 2008 would have been completely unacceptable to the Hoosier faithful.

So, Harvard, back to the original question only with a qualifier.

Among coaches that might actually have been considered for the job, who would you have preferred to have been hired in place of CTC?

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Lou Henson Chet. Top notch coach.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

^Impostor.

Chet-

Before Crean was hired I was liking the idea of Bill Carmody. Lorenzo Romar? I was also always a big fan Rick Majerus(of course, he recently passed away). Always thought Majerus was an honest man with a very high b-ball IQ. He also seemed to command a quiet respect from his peers. Great sense of humor and quick wit…and no carnival cruise, showboat act.

Never pushed for Brad Stevens..I throw his name around now and then to just get a rouse out of the Pollyanna Toms and the stale moldy crowd that always believed a Knight disciple was the answer.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

MT, That 1st paragraph gets pretty deep, at least a hell of a lot deeper than I care to think on here.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

H4H, None of the 3 you mention would have made me smile. Which means if 1 of them had been named coach I would now be posting on here as H4H.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

And Majerus was quite the “complex” character. I think he was raised in a strict Catholic family, but always appeared to take more liberal positions the church would find opposition..Didn’t once get in pretty hot water for some public comments regarding a woman’s right to choice?

And he could sure relate to his players…Seemed like kids loved to play for him. I also remember him talking of the reasons he came back to coaching having a lot to do with just a love for the interaction and experiences with young men he wanted to teach and learn from(the 2-way street) that he missed most when he was away from the game. He truly loved the game. Never appeared to condescend to his players or talked from a highest perch. His respect came from knowledge and a caring heart.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Jeremy Price:

Ron, Here's our [...]

• Double Down:

There was a lot of whining and crying about the football team this yea [...]

• Ron:

And...The Navy Seal killed Tuesday attended IU in 2004-2005 & was [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

You are correct, Chet. Majerus was a truly great basketball coach. [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

VIDEO: IU Pole Vaulter Sophie Gutermuth talks about hanging out at the [...]

• Chet:

I just meant that he left IU as it was on the upswing and joined the S [...]

• CalCheaneyfan: