Theo Pinson takes North Carolina over Indiana

Theo Pinson told reporters at his press conference on Wednesday in North Carolina that the turning point came during a conversation with North Carolina coach Roy Williams on Thursday.

The 6-foot-5 wing from Wesleyan Christian Academy in High Point, N.C., and consensus top-20 player was torn between Indiana and his home state school.

He wouldn’t say what he and Williams actually talked about, but he said he decided afterward that he wanted to stay close to home.

On Wednesday, he made it official with a press conference at his school and chose North Carolina over Indiana, as well as Duke, Louisville and Georgetown.

“It came down, really, to Indiana and Carolina,” Pinson told reporters. “Me and Roy, we had a very good relationship. I had a very good relationship with coach (Tom) Crean also. It’s just, why not play in front of your peers for four more years if it has to be like that. I felt like that was the best decision.”

Pinson said he does believe that he fits Williams’s up-tempo style of play. He’s known primarily for his athleticism and defensive ability, but he’s also an excellent passer and can finish at the rim. All of that would seem to translate well to a wide-open game.

“They get up and down the floor,” Pinson said. “They need guards for 2014 because they’re gonna lose a couple of them. I’ll be able to come in and play. I’m happy about that.”

Though Indiana gets up and down the floor just as much, if not more so, exactly how much Pinson would have been able to come in and play right away at Indiana is hard to tell. The Hoosiers will lose rising senior Will Sheehey after this year, but would presumably return incoming freshmen Stanford Robinson, Troy Williams, Devin Davis and Collin Hartman, as well as rising sophomore Jeremy Hollowell and rising junior Austin Etherington, all of whom would be in the mix for either the shooting guard or small forward spot. The Hoosiers also already have a commitment from Marion shooting guard James Blackmon Jr. for the Class of 2014.

But the Indiana coaching staff had clearly made Pinson a very high priority. He visited Indiana for the IU-Michigan game on Feb. 2, and the staff made a point to attend Wesleyan Christian’s state championship game, as well as several of Pinson’s Nike Elite Youth Basketball games with the CP3 All-Stars.

“They put a whole lot of work in the recruitment,” Pinson said. “It’s a business, and you have to do what you have to do, but I respect the heck out of Indiana.”
So much that he made a point to call Crean just before he made his announcement.

“It was tough,” Pinson said. “I was hurt just talking to him. I knew it would be bigger of a man to just call him. I didn’t want to do anything like text him or something. That would be lame. I’m glad we both had an understanding that we both still got a good relationship with each other, so it’s all right.”

The Hoosiers still have a number of high-priority targets on the board for the Class of 2014. That includes Australian point guard Dante Exum, who is currently rated as the No. 18 player in the class but is also projected to be a top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft if he opts not to go to college, which would be an option for the international player. They are also still after in-state recruits Jaquan Lyle (Evansville Bosse) and Trevon Bluiett (Park Tudor), as well as Massachusetts big man Goodluck Okonoboh, Florida wing Brandone Francis and others.

But Pinson was for a time priority one. It just proved to difficult to get him to leave his home state.

“I just wanted to let all my fellow students and coaches come and see me play,” Pinson said. “It would’ve been hard for them going all the way to Indiana. Indiana’s a great school. I feel bad, but at the same time, I’m happy that it’s off my shoulders.”

• Geoff #1

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 12:22 PM EST

Dustin – imagine if you had reported that Pnson was choosing IU…

• IndianaDrake #2

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 12:30 PM EST

Top recruit cant secure PT at I.U. so he picks UNC. That’s a great headline. You can use it Dustin. His exact words a few days ago was that he wanted to go where he could play FROM DAY 1. His words. That just shows how far we’ve come and how deep we are in 2014. I wanted to see Theo in Cream and Crimson but I also know that Crean has put us in a great position. We have most offers out to 5 stars in that class. We may not see another 4 star for a long time. And if Crean picks a 4 star its because he sees something we don’t. When Victor arrived I loved his dunk at midnight madness but for the most part I thought it was a wasted class. That’s why I work in sales and don’t get paid to recruit. Another point; Rumors are that Pinson will drop to 25 at the beginning of his Senior season. Blackmon will soar into the top 15. IU is in great position. I’m proud of Crean and what he’s done. I remember first round exits and NIT’s. And people complain about back to back SWEET 16’S?
    The past two years I’ve been like a little kid filling out 50 brackets and IU going all the way in all of them. That hasn’t happened since the 90’s. CTC is the man!

• Mike #3

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 12:48 PM EST

I hope the comments remain courteous.

Wish him the best of luck (except when UNC plays IU, of course) and move on. Crean probably has.

• Ben #4

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 12:56 PM EST

Oh well. Life goes on. Goodluck Theo. Hopefully our 2 respective teams will meet when your playing at UNC. Next recruit please…

• Chicago Hoosier #5

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 1:16 PM EST

We must not forget these kids are 17/18 years old. This is the biggest decision of there lives so far, we need to support them in that process. Both schools are great options.
    We need to keep the option open for him to come back to IU…. crazy things happen in recruiting.

• Preston #6

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 1:25 PM EST

Aruss:I already told you guys he’s committing to IU but if you need more proof then here it is: http://247sports.com/Player/Theo-Pinson-11863/PlayerInstitutionPredictions

If I were bragging about my predictions I think I would need more then 27% believing he was coming to IU as proof! BTW I hope there is no truth to the rumor that DD had his peeps convince Theo to stay in NC just so he could ruin Aruss’s percentage!

• Weatherman #7

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 1:33 PM EST

Good post, Drake. We have a lot of good players already on board, so it will be difficult to land many 5 stars for the next couple of years. Top-20 players will be looking to for serious playing time right away, which will be hard to come by for the foreseeable future. I do think that there are plenty of other good players, though, who will be a bit more patient and a bit less convinced they are just a year or two away from the NBA. Louisville just won a national championship with a team filled with 3- and 4- star players, so like you say, there is more reason to be optimistic now than in a generation.

• Punjab #8

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 2:44 PM EST

Bummer, man. So glad IU’s gotten back to the point where we can lose out on a top prospect like this and just let out a collective “oh well. Next…”

• TsaoTsuG #9

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 3:18 PM EST

Aruss!….Aruss!

Aruss!!…..Aruss!!….anybody seen Aruss???….anybody hear from Aruss??…or his primo sources???

No problem Aruss…don’t cry son…big guys don’t cry…and 16-17 years no one will even remember this huge embarrassment and you can start reestablishing a reputation as knowing what you are talking about.

(And Dustin, a professional, will be about 50 and will be much less likely to call it to your attention if you screw it up again. Surely, by then he’ll send you Scoops in a totally different technology)

Be a man and be mature. Your own fault for trying to knock his shovel out of his hands. That’s what makes Dustin a professional. You got exactly what you were asking for.

• coachv #10

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 4:57 PM EST

I guess aruss’ sources ARE peccable.

• TJ #11

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 6:21 PM EST

It wasn’s JUST staying home BUT also competition from within State ; BOTH NC State and Duke have had good recruiting classes ( well above good) Purdue isnt offering IN state competition on the floor ..So it came down to IU vs NC +NC STATE+ DUKE+ staying home

• Podunker #12

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 6:56 PM EST

Well I hate moral victories, but it does say something about IU and Tom Crean that it came down to IU and UNC. It would have been really tough for this young man to leave his home state. There was just enormous inertia keeping the young man local. Hard for someone that young to choose to move hundreds of miles away from friends and family.

• Geoff #13

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 8:55 PM EST

Po – I hope we can say the same thing about the top Indiana talent 2015 and beyond…

• Realty #14

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 6:59 AM EST

Moral victory? We lost a great recruit period. Indiana is still not an elite program but may get there. We underachieved big time this year. If you have two lottery picks on your roster you should be able to get past the sweet 16. The Pinson situation is a great example of Crean’s coaching career. He is good but always comes up a little short of being great!

• Mike #15

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 8:26 AM EST

I have no problem when a kid elects to play in-state for college. I don’t blame him at all, and I think it was good that it was between UNC and IU, so we almost against the local school. Now we just need to sign the top in-state guys.

• Mike #16

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 8:26 AM EST

*almost won against

• Chet #17

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 9:44 AM EST

Realty (do you sell houses?),
    You must think Calapari is the worst coach in the world with his roster and he doesn’t even make the tourney.

• Hoosier Clarion #18

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 10:06 AM EST

Certainly is not hard to identify a Crean hater. Their banter is always the same.

• Geoff #19

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 11:41 AM EST

I’m so curious who in here knows “Natasha”…

• Ron #20

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 12:47 PM EST

If you knew Natasha like I know Natasha….don’t remember the rest of the song. The $200,000 Natasha? The “wow she looks nice” mug shot Natasha?

• TJ #21

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 1:33 PM EST

For those that think CTC “missed” with Pinson..I went over current recruiting status of 2014 ..and NC had an early commit from another “wing man ” Justin Jackson rated #10 by Scoops..and their comment was a “matched set on the wing” Jackson is 6’6 and Pinson was listed 6’5 . is it possible the early commit by Jackson helped to “sell” Pinson to stay home???

• Ron #22

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 1:34 PM EST

(Continued)..

The $450 an hr – $800.00 2-hours Natasha? The why in the world was I going to the Greenwood Mall instead of Keystone at the Crossing Mall Natasha? The why did I stay at Holiday Inn instead of the Sheraton Natasha?

We talking the same Natasha?

• Podunker #23

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 2:46 PM EST

Realty, Crean’s still a young man. He’s got lot’s of time to transition from a “good” coach to leading IU to a championship. How many NCAA Championships has Marquette won before and after Crean coached there? What was the condition of the IU basketball program when Crean arrived in Bloomington? It takes time to rebuild a program back up from total devastation to a position where in can compete for championships.

You’re obviously a “glass half full” kind of guy. Maybe a Crean-hater too. You reference two lottery picks on IU’s roster, implying that in spite of that, Crean could not win it all. Well, here’s a news flash for you. There have been a lot of college coaches that had two or more NBA lottery picks on their team that never won an NCAA Championship. How many times did Dean Smith have that level of talent and end up without the grand prize? How many times has Coach K had that talent and failed to win it all? I could go on and on, but you get my point. “To achieve greatness takes time, a lot of time.”

In order to win an NCAA Championship, a team needs seven or eight really good players, all healthy and playing together like a well oiled machine, with a little bit of luck thrown in, in order to win an NCAA Championship.

• Mariner Tom #24

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 3:56 PM EST

I’m afraid that Lorenzo Romar is a good example of a recent coach with two near lottery picks failing to make the tourney (Tony Wroten and Terrence Ross). Happens a lot. Having lottery pick talent does not mean a player possesses the mental maturity to perform under pressure, nor that he is pre-plumbed and wired so that one only need the “right coach” to plug in his electricity and water supply come playoff time.

• TsaoTsuG #25

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 4:27 PM EST

I always took a lot of pride in the fact that our attitude towards recruiting really set us apart from the obsessiveness of corrupt programs like Kentucky. In fact, I always attributed the difference to the much higher vision about sports and the legitimacy of our educational institution by a smarter, wiser, more mature, more knowledgeable fan following that sees recruiting well within its proper context. Indiana does not rent bodies, it educates talented with superior development of student-athletes by outstanding coaches, and a supportive environment led by fans who value and respect the term student-athlete, in its proper perspective.

That, set Indiana apart from most others; I can only think of a handful of universities that can make the same claim, including most of the B1G. Obviously, as our conference has grown, it has sought to retain the balance that makes it unique. It is a conference of education-first institutions, serious about educating their athletes.

Disappointingly, lately I’ve seen a growing obsession among some Hoosier fans consumed with recruiting; the pursuit of ‘four and five star’ athletes and even opening the gates to the consideration of the hyped ‘one and dones’ who seem to have absolutely no educational objectives intention. Even less so, these often don’t even consider ‘becoming a part’ of the Hoosier tradition as personified in the the Steve Downings, Randy Wittmans, Scott Mays’, Mike Woodsons and Cal Cheneys who take as much pride in being ‘a Hoosier’ and a product of what ‘It’s Indiana’ really means, as we take pride and share in their achievements.

First, the entire obsession with the ‘number’ of *stars* is not only silly but in most cases only shows a general ignorance about the development of a great and classy program. Think about the rating or media services. Who rates the players? Generally, either journalists whose experience and criteria is no more sophisticated as that of most fans or by services whose aim is to get anxiety ridden fans to subscribe to their version of player ratings based on who is recruiting who. A bit like watching a dog chase its own tail with the added entertainment that once in a while they catch it. Then, it’s painful. (I want to make it clear this is NOT a shot at journalists, it simply acknowledges the amateur basis of most evaluators and their knowledge).

Secondly, the approach minimizes the importance of solid teaching and good, intelligent coaching; beginning with the coach’s decision to offer scholarships to a player, whether a ‘five star’, mere three stars’ like Victor Oladipo (or no stars) to meet a specific coach’s vision and fitting a team’s needs based on it.

Whatever else goes on with IU and CTC, it is clear that either he or one of the staff he put together has one hell of an eye for evaluating talent. Zeller’s high school career was celebrated, recognized and hyped. Obvious that Oladipo was a rare diamond, as is- potentially- Sheehey. In both cases either TC or a staff member, under Crean’s command and vision, saw the potential most other coaches missed. Just as obvious, someone on CTC’s staff developed the two; and other players who took the Hoosiers out of bottom of the pit and brought IU to its traditional place 9in college basketball; where we now have the luxury of complaining about not getting further than the ‘sweet sixteen’ level.

Maybe its we fans who need to get better at being fans, followers and students of the game, and in understanding the meaning of ‘competing at the highest levels’. But also, maintaining our reputation as a ‘good’ program while not compromising with our values of bringing in solid people. It is our goal to win a sixth and, then seventh, NCAA championship; but on our terms. Ask yourself, what has Kentucky really won except the mockery most who follow basketball continually think of Kentucky’s dubious achievements, disdain and our growing feeling that ‘it will never, never achieve the level at which Indiana University competes.

I much prefer knowing that those wearing Indiana’s colors came here to be honestly educated in a program of achievement and integrity. I enjoy the fact that when they leave we miss the person who wore the number as a person with whom we share our world forever; where at many of the ‘outlaw’ schools they often can not even recall the ‘student’.

To stay at this lofty level, we need to understand that our priority is to recruit real student-athletes who come to Indiana to become Hoosiers; not as rent-a-body street-walkers and mercenaries.

The truth, the only thing that distinguishes us from Kentucky is everything about the difference. As a Hoosier I am proud of it and want to keep it exactly as it is.

• Geoff #26

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 5:05 PM EST

One in the same Ronnie-boy…

My wife loves Keystone at the Crossing. Insists we go there every time we visit my folks. Wonder if she’ll feel the same after I tell her its a brothel.

• Ron #27

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 5:45 PM EST

You have the zumba instructor (that was Maine?).
    That was a pretty wild story.

• Geoff #28

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 7:10 PM EST

Yeah, my boss’s wife saw that one on the news while in China on business… They drew that story out beautifully with the trickling of names not “the list”… Paranoia was rampant… Plenty of known people on the list… A couple friends of friends…

’twas fun.

• Geoff #29

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 7:11 PM EST

…from “the list”

• Jeremy Price #30

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 12:14 AM EST

In an attempt at transparency, Harvard is free to return.

• TsaoTsuG #31

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 1:04 AM EST

JP, he already has…

• Chet #32

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 1:25 PM EST

TTG, Duke USED to sit on it’s high horse and brag about their high caliber ‘student athletes’ on the basketball team. Haven’t heard Coach K mention anything like that in quite some time.

• Geoff #33

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 2:56 PM EST

Tsao – What distinguishes us from UNC or Duke or KU or MSU or UF? Why do you always go to the lowest common denominator – UK… and pretend like if CTC isn’t recruiting “Tsao-approved” players that he has turned IU into Slime Ball State.

There are a 1000 Shades of Grey (you’re welcome Lord) between UK and the cleanest programs. I’m also waiting to see some evidence that Crean isn’t recruiting top-notch people… He doesn’t seem to be compromising character for talent… Oh, and his players are graduating early.

I don’t see Hoosier fans clamoring for 5 star recruits at the expense of character either. What I see is fans who get excited about the top notch talent that our staff deems as quality targets, hope for the best, and get disappointed when it doesn’t go our way.

Also, you keep forgetting that in the one-and-done era IU has made exactly 1 Final Four and has zero championships…. You have an entire generation of IU fans who don’t remember a national championship. They want to have the feeling that the generations before them felt… They want to throw parties at Nick’s and on Kirkwood. Apparently the way you want things done decreases the chances of doing that dramatically.

My other point of contention with your long-winded waste of time is that there are lots of people who would say it is obvious that CTC and his staff DID NOT develop Zeller. That he was the same player at the end of his soph season as when he got there. You could say that Je’nay Jackson developed his body, but that usually happens to players when they go from HS to college and 17 to 20 years old. His athleticism is what has gotten him renewed interest by NBA GMs not his skill development… That is what soured them.

• TsaoTsuG #34

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 12:04 AM EST

I guess Chet, I’m one of those who still consider Duke an outstanding university; and Coach K. one of those coaches who has generally avoided compromising his standards. Good for him, a great coach. Both Duke and Coach K honor college basketball (as several others, hopefully including us).

• Geoff #35

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 12:49 AM EST

So if Crean recruits in a similar fashion to, and gets similar kids as, Coach K, then that is ok?

Currently, of the 19 Duke players in the NBA, 3 were 1-&-done, 4 left after their soph season, and anther 3 left as juniors… So of the NBA-worthy talent he recruits, more than 50% leaves early.

I’m glad to see you don’t have an issue with that, because that is the reality of what it takes to consistently compete for titles.

• Punjab #36

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 4:01 AM EST

Geoff, I hate to see you write something like that. Not because it’s untrue, but because it forces me to acknowledge the fact that most any top recruit we get is not going to stay for four years. I can’t stand watching Duke win. I cringe at the mere mention of the name. But I respect the hell out of Coach K. And I believe he has begrudgingly accepted the reality that if he wants to continue competing at a top level, he has to recruit players that may only be there for a year or two. Same with CTC. Anybody who thinks a five-star recruit will be there for the long haul anymore is fooling themselves. There may be a rare exception here and there, but the quaint notion that kids these days will choose school loyalty and academics over dollars and NBA stardom is a fading pipe dream, and you’re probably going to be disappointed with the ending. I wish it wasn’t so. It saddens me. But it is what it is. Hopefully Crean has enough eye for talent and character to prove me wrong.

• Chet #37

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 9:49 AM EST

It always makes me laugh when I see Duke listed as a top university. They are always near the top of the lists, too. In North Carolina most any good student can get into Duke. At my kids’ former high school every year 5-7 kids will head off to Duke, maybe 2 to Wake Forest, and, every two or three year a kid will get into an Ivy League school. For the Ivy qualified kids Duke is a ‘safety school’ (all my kids got accepted to Duke. None of them went, for various reasons, not the least of which was the cost.). In the entire county, 30-40 kids will get accepted to Duke every year, maybe 2 or 3 to any Ivy League. Many years none…and we have an very good school system.

In NC, if you are in the top 5-10% of your class and score above 1300(M+V) on your SATs you’re in at Duke. That MIGHT get you to your first interview at an Ivy. There’s a HUGE difference.

• TsaoTsuG #38

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 6:58 PM EST

I think what I said is that Duke is an outstanding university, which it is. This is particularly so in terms of their undergraduate program and teaching. At the graduate level, what I know of Duke is that their law school is excellent and, in their Medical School is considered one of the best in the country (especially so in some specialty fields. Athletically, they have been excellent since Coach K (a proud Bob Knight product and a West Point graduate) established a nationally recognized and legendary basketball program there which will always be considered top notch until after he leaves (if then).

I’m sure, from what I know of and about him, that Coach K is not personally very happy about the trend in basketball of recruiting one and dones, or the recruitment of kids who take up scholarship money (yes, I know…I know the argument that they are from funds independent of the University’s academic and operational resources;… never-the-less, the money donated to athletics is not donated to sustaining academic or need scholarships based scholarships in the general population based on need or demonstrated academic merits).

However, as Punjab notes (coach K’s wife once spoke very eloquently of the crisis that coach K went through because of the change away from his vision of the ‘college student-athlete’, which nearly drove him to leave college coaching. Eventually, as Punjab mentions he just simply accepted this reality. Obviously, his passion for coaching and teaching won out and we – and Duke and college basketball are better off it. Makes me proud that Coach K- and the Duke program- are direct off-spring seeded by Bob Knight and his influence on college basketball, as well as West Point’s influence on all of them. There is so much to be said for tradition and character and the institutions that promote those values.

I guess I’m just an old f__t who still believes in the proud America in stories like Hoosiers, The Long Grey Line, Mr. Roberts, Kojack and Bull Durham (aahh also North Carolina). And believes in fathers who pass those values and character to their sons and daughters.

• TsaoTsuG #39

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 7:44 PM EST

By the way the list of outstanding schools mentions a few great schools in this country; and, surely, missed some. Certainly most of the Ivies, the three Academies, most of the B1G (including Purdue), Vanderbilt, Cornell, Tulane, California, Stanford.

Someone humorously (or drunk on Thunderbird wine, doing cheap drugs, whiffing glue and breathing gas from the oven simultaneously) included the U. of Florida, which is a serous sign, enough to call 911. Ohh….Florida has improved from being Tobacco Road U., especially under the leadership of John V. Lombardi, a great former Professor of History (and Business) and Dean of Arts and Sciences at Indiana University but, definitely not enough to make it anything but a Motel 6 overnight stay for those on the road to a Miami ‘cultural enhancement’ weekend from Kentucky.

• Geoff #40

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 10:27 PM EST

No one included UF in a list of academically rigorous schools… Once again you completely misread a post. Even funnier because it was a direct response to YOUR post about athletic recruiting standards.

Coach K had absolutely no problem offering to Jabari Parker, did he? No one should, rules dictate that these kids can’t go straight to the pros. Not the kid’s fault and not the coach’s fault.

And what does fathers passing along positive or traditional values have to do with attending college for 4 years?

• Millport #41

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 8:27 AM EST

US News ranks universities. Some interesting numbers to consider:

University Acceptance Rate Ranking

Duke 14.0% #8
    U of Florida 43.2% #54
    U of North Carolina 31.4% #30
    Indiana U 72.3% #83

All four are members of the American Association of Universities.

• Punjab #42

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 9:18 AM EST

Two random Sunday morning thoughts that may or may not be relevant to this conversation: Part of me wishes more players would go the Brandon Jennings route and take their talents to Istanbul or Barcelona or wherever. At least it’s honest. If they know they have no genuine interest in college and are just biding their time until they’re NBA eligible, why not see the world and collect a paycheck for a year? How much will that really effect quality of play in the NCAA? Will we miss the Anthony Bennets and Archie Goodwins of the world as they lead their rent-a-teams to mediocrity? Will men like Coach K and Tom Crean be less likely to feel they have to compromise their beliefs and recruit players they know have no vested interests in their program other than trying to pull a Carmelo in their one year on campus? How many run-on sentences can I write in a paragraph?

Second, what have we gotten ourselves into with the addition of Rutgers into the conference? That AD is in shambles and does little but give the B1G a black eye. I assume this is part of a larger plot to get to 16 teams and expand recruiting eastward. But at what cost. It helps the strength of our football reputation marginally, at best, yet dilutes our pool of quality men’s basketball programs. What am i missing? What’s the end game here?

• Chet #43

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:12 AM EST

Millport, you also have to consider the applicant pool. Most Duke applicants come from the South where the poorest system are. Of course, so do Liberty’s and they are the least selective school in the country.

That being said, while Duke Med Center gets in the news a lot (that used to be where the studies famously showing that tobacco was NOT harmful to one’s health came from) I’d visit there before being a patient.

I used to go there a lot. Personally, I’d go across town to Chapel Hill to the UNC Med Center. Fantastic facility with a top notch staff. In fact, in my field (cochlear implantations) the entire staff left Duke and went to UNC and their program died. Duke is truly a St. Elsewhere. Doors hanging from hinges. All kinds of equipment strew down the hallways. Nasty IMHO.

They do get the name recognition, though.

• Chet #44

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:16 AM EST

Punjab, I agree with both ideas. It’s hard to get an 18-year-old to move to Greece, though (my kids would have been there in a heartbeat).

• Geoff #45

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:29 AM EST

Punjab – how does adding Maryland dilute our basketball conference? They have a long tradition, a national championship since 2000, and make the NCAA tournament about 50% of the time.

It’s not like adding Georgetown, but its also not that far behind.

I like your first point, however I wonder how many kids actually “have no interest” in college… My guess is many kids have a huge interest in college – plenty of girls, plenty of TV time at the big programs, and great environments to play in – but will take the money and fulfill their dream when they get the opportunity.

Also, I have lots of friends who have played overseas, and a couple who still do. All my buddies over the age of 26 decided to come home and take normal day jobs for less money. The only 2 who haven’t are Nik Caner-Medley and Mike Schachtner. Nik makes several million a year for Maccabi Tel Aviv, and Mike is doing very well, but I’m not sure how much longer he’ll stay over there with a new wife back home. Every other guy I know that played overseas says the same thing… It was cool for the first few weeks and then the language barriers got to be a pain in the ass, the food sucked, they got lonely, and in many cases they always wondered if they were actually going to get their next pay check (even on the large, well-established teams).

That reputation isn’t lost on top HS players. They have older buddies who have tested those waters and “advisors” who tell them the pros and cons. Going to Europe, or Asia, or the the Middle East for a year can be extremely daunting for a 17-18 year old kid… Staying in the US for a year where you speak the language, enjoy the food, are close to friends and family, and know you’ll be a star making weekly appearances on ESPN is a lot more attractive. Especially when you know the big pay check is coming next year.

• Millport #46

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:36 AM EST

Chet, are you aware that Liberty has an acceptance rate of 24.5%, that hardly makes Liberty the least selective university in the US.

As for Duke, you need to provide proof concerning the application pool. You making a statement does not prove anything. I’ll be happy to provide sources, are you willing?

You make fun of UK, which is ranked 125 but ignore the fact that UNC-Greensboro is ranked 189. Did yo not have a family memeber attend there?

• Harvard for Hillbillies #47

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 1:39 PM EST

After reading Geoff’s post #45, it’s no surprise that the game of basketball has lost its soul.

Is there anything in that mess that speaks of gratitude for the sacrifices so many in the lower rungs of a kid’s development(the hours spent by coaches from the days of youth programs, middle school, and high school)?

No pride anymore. No giving back to those that helped a young man reach the pinnacle of his game. No giving back to the uniform, the hometowns, the state, the college. All the limelight has flooded the heart and left playing the game for the most meaningful reasons void of a single endearing and humble motive.

Just reading many of these posts make me sad and sick. So thick in Establishment..So lacking in any ties to honoring what used to move the goosebumps to flesh when talking of Indiana basketball. The “me world” trombones that flood the ears of our youth.

• TsaoTsuG #48

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 5:54 PM EST

Punjab, both of your random thoughts re excellent. True, these kids who graduate from high school with a college predictor of 1.75/4.0 (D-), have jumped through hoops to avoid algebra, advanced algebra, trigonometry, calculus, English literature, expository writing, 19th Century literature, several versions of history, biology, physics and a foreign language and have absolutely no intention of attempting to graduate from college or in some form take up courses they still could find their to a socially legitimate career…but, too often their coaches and advisers are too interested in their own pockets and care too little to give them guidance. Beginning with these relationships, it is easy to see how they develop their own ‘one and done’ mentality. It is absolutely stupid to believe these kids will ever develop the sens of honor and loyalty it takes (as in your case)to take a relationship with a university, a community, a nation or a people. There is a great saying: don’t blame the pig for being a pig, blame the one who fed him.

Your second point may also be related. The former Big 10, now the B1G has discovered that money falls in patterns and the marketing machine that is college sports must be focused on a geographically narrow band between Boston and Washington D.C. (perhaps extended to Atlanta). It explains a lot. ESPN based in Bristol, CT; CNN in Atlanta, the growing marketing dominance of Washington DC and the surrounding Virginia and Maryland bedroom communities… Watch the cable network news, pay attention to the base for the ‘guest experts’, especially the academia based ones. Georgetown, George Washington University, Rutgers (in New Jersey)…even the frequency of ‘expert’ from smaller institutions. Same is true in sports that cater to traditional network television and cable tv. When was the last time you heard (or how frequently do you hear) of a media expert from the University of Pittsburgh, the University of Michigan, Michigan State, U. of Iowa or Indiana for that matter. (Never mind Utah, Colorado, ….

The Big 10 realized it needed to cover itself, especially against the Big East and then the SEC in its pursuit of the media marketing dollars. It began with the inclusion of Penn State (Philadelphia, entry into the middle Atlantic market)(it made sense even geographically), and so it went from there to Maryland (Washington DC/Baltimore market and influence) and Rutgers (New Jersey/NYC market covering all the way to Philadephia). A business decision by the B1G. Don’t bother with fretting about the ‘value’ (evil or genius), these folks (university administrators, especially athletic types, are cynical enough to tell you directly it has nothing to do with values in their decision making.

Nebraska…it was just there, leaving the Big 12 at the right time and it closed the B1G’s rear entry from the oil money (of the Hunt brothers, etc) in Texas, Oklahoma. Incredible strategic genius isn’t it. What? Universities thinking up these evil genius things? Nahhhhhhh!

(Funny enough. While I am not sure he was fully aware of it, Harvard’s ‘Establishment’ thing was not as insane as many thought it (my dad used to say that “insanity is a form of hyper awareness’). I never thought he (HfH) was nuts, he had many very lucid thoughts and keen perception. If he just didn’t go in those unbearable self-destructive attacks on everyone who opened up to his friendship he was great to read as a unique observer.

You are really a good blogger, very sincere and open. Easy to see your attitude about ‘serving’ in your comments.

• Millport #49

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 6:22 PM EST

Hey . . . TTG is Don Silas still reading Shakespeare at IU football games? In short TTG you are a boring fool! You haven’t made a comment worth a pinch of salt for weeks, Harvard may be gone but your fanny should be next out the door.

• TsaoTsuG #50

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 6:31 PM EST

Millport, he’s aware of it but it answers to his anger (about Christianity, Bob Knight and a myriad of his personal biases). Probably some reason for comments about Duke but you just assume it’s Chet and roll with it; he is still a great character out of a Dan Wakefield novel. I just had to do some research about medical institutions that deal with neurological and other issues and Duke’s School of Medicine keeps coming up in all lists and in doctor’s opinions (most under 50); just like the Cleveland Clinic, the original Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN; the Univ. of Pittsburgh, UPenn,(even IU Medical Center)…

Just Chet’s way of saying (for whatever reason) he’s mad at them.

And, you’re absolutely right; with many of the ‘name schools'(Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc) there’s a huge amount of self-selection by applicants before we even get into the university’s selection process Duke, by any standard, is a great university; as is NC, UPenn, Stanford, Vanderbilt and, like with all, depending on the particular area of interest. One top notch professor in a specific academic area (or a coach who pushes the envelope in sports as in the case of RMK -and Coach K at Duke-, former IU swimming coach Dr. Jim Counsilman or the Yeagleys in soccer)can make a huge difference. And, they set a curve that is tugh to match and spoils the fans.

• TsaoTsuG #51

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 6:59 PM EST

Millport, see you keep changing your name. Don’t know about Donnie. Have been trying to find out about him…still really respect and remember what a great kid he was. It’s probably your bigotry that keeps you from considering that Donnie really enjoyed Shakespeare, a solid kid, a great son (to his mom Betty), a great friend and being a good student.

I’ve always found racists like you end up choking and foaming their venom and, sooner or later, vomiting all over themselves.

Not concerned about being considered ‘boring’ by you at all. Likely you can’t read (or write) anything more than two phrases long (and have to move your lips to do it), therefore consider reading a tiring physical activity). Regret having given you serious consideration. If anything is destroying this blog it is those (like you) who come on to get rid of the sewer scum in their phlegm at other Hoosier fans. At least, while disagreeing with Chet at times, I value many of his observations, know he loves the Hoosiers, and really, really admire stories about his family life and raising his children.

In your case, I suppose I believe if you were neutered we’d be that much further along on the road to being civilized.

• Jeremy Price #52

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 8:33 PM EST

H4H,
    Not sure why it wouldn’t let that post on. We’ll get it worked out if you’re patient.

• Geoff #53

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 9:50 PM EST

Harvard… What mess is that? The overseas mess? Yeah it’s a bit of a mess, but what does that have to do with anything you said in #47…

And you are incredibly out of touch if you think the top .00000001% of basketball players that actually have the opportunity to go one and done have been molded by their schools… They grew up on playgrounds and schools, but more than anything AAU. And they do have an allegiance to those coaches… But what does that have to do with going to State U?

And who do you think sacrificed the most for these kids? Their 3rd grade basketball coach??? Probably their parents – the ones who fed them and clothed them and drove them to practice and games and tournaments… In very few instances are those parents independently wealthy. How is taking advantage of million dollar paydays and taking care of their families not giving back to those that sacrificed along the way?

Instead of looking out for Harvard (some stranger who would live to watch them for 4 years at their favorite state school) they look out for their family. This is going to come as a shock to you Harvard, but Andrew Wiggins doesn’t owe you anything. He doesn’t owe FSU anything. Jabari Parker owes you nothing. Ben McLemore owes you nothing. Isiah Thomas owed you nothing.

The ship sailed decades ago Harvard. Funny how you act like it shifted at post #45.

• Geoff #54

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 10:25 PM EST

And Tsao…. Punjab is talking about one and done basketball talents, not the mentally handicapped.

That list includes people like Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Austin Rivers, Anthony Davis, Brad Beal, Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson, Avery Bradley, Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday, OJ Mayo, Kosta Koufos, Greg Oden, Mike Conley, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Rajon Rondo – all good guys who are also no dummies.

We aren’t talking about the the exception to the rule here. Just because a kid wants to go to the NBA as soon as possible doesn’t mean he is “mal-developed”… Many thought Zeller was gone after his freshman year, and he was a friggin 1st Team Academic All-American. Well, he left after his soph season… What’s the difference really…?

And many of the guys who did go straight to the NBA out of HS – Bryant, LeBron, Garnett, etc – not only ended up huge stars, but are also business moguls… they aren’t D- students who were escaping school books. Kobe speaks like 6 Languages… I mean I can’t stand the guy, but he’s an intelligent dude.

I guess when Kevin Durant silently (as in didn’t tell the press or do it publicly) donated $1,000,000 to the tornado victims in OKC last week (before any other players, or his team, or the league) it was just a mistake… He couldn’t possibly feel a sense of community. I mean its absolutely stupid to believe he has any honor or loyalty.

Once again you are being absolutely ridiculous.

• Chet #55

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:39 PM EST

Sorry, been in an airplane all day…

About Liberty, there was a long article about them a couple year’s back (I believe it was in Forbes)attaching the moniker “the least selective university in America”. Last time I checked (about 2 years ago) they had a 97% acceptance rate. Not sure of your sources but I’m not competing. I’ve never heard of anyone not being accepted and I’ve know some local kids that couldn’t get into a community college going there. Do you know of someone being turned away?

Yes, one of my kids attended UNCG on a partial athletic scholarship for 2 years before transferring. You won’t hear any strident defense of the school from me or from him, for that matter. It was OK, nothing special one way or another. No emotional, or any other kind, of attachment from any of us. I’d say they were middle of the pack. He was also accepted to Duke (and everywhere else he applied but, to be honest, he didn’t apply to the really top flight schools, i.e. Stanford or MIT), but the difference between the two, financially, was exorbitant for a kid that even hadn’t decided on a major yet. At that point in his life he was more interested in wrestling than academics and UNCG was better than Duke at that (plus, they offered some cash). He won the Southern Conference (never lost to an ACC wrestler) and made it to the third round of the NCAA Championships before transferring. UNCG dropped its wrestling program.

The “mad” comment is hilarious. My wife laughed out loud when I showed it to her. I don’t have much of a care in the world and probably haven’t been ‘mad’ in 4 or 5 years (I can’t really imagine being mad at anything). I’m happily married for 28 years, 3 great kids, I’m at the top of my field, I’ve done most everything I’ve ever wanted to do within reason, don’t owe a penny or even have a mortgage, and I only work a few hours a week because I enjoy it. Unless I change my tastes dramatically I’ll never want for a thing.

I can get up any morning of my life, cancel my schedule, and decide I’ll get on a bike and ride to California (or wherever) for a couple weeks and my wife will just shake her head and grab her helmet and climb on one of her bikes. I’ve been very fortunate, made some good decisions, and, since I don’t have a sick need to acquire huge sums of wealth, I’ve got everything a normal person could possibly want.

I also don’t pray at the alter of Bobby Knight, as does Tsao. It seems he spends sleepless nights because I don’t. I’m not sure why it’s so important to him that everyone worship the guy but it obviously is. Bobby was a really good basketball coach for the majority of his career. He didn’t invent fire, or even basketball, for that matter, as Tsao seemingly believes. For some reason he needs everyone to agree that RMK walks on water. I just don’t. He can live with it or not. It’s not my problem.

Oh, and my daughter graduated from Cornell this morning. She begins work on her doctorate in the fall.

As for myself, my wife and I are headed off on our motorcycles to ride the Natchez Trace in a couple days.

I don’t follow anything here close enough to notice if anyone switches names, or any of that kind of thing, so I miss out on much of the drama. There are some long time relationships that spill over to other boards that I have no clue about. I read everything Geoff writes as he’s honest and deals in observable facts, I like Punjab, Ron, Podunker, Ben and, really, most folks. Harvard writes well and has a good heart but, when he’s on a tangent, I tend to just skim. Tsao is much the same as Harvard though he doesn’t realize it…but everyone else does (I mostly really like him but he insists everyone share his beliefs or he goes off on attack mode…like how I am ‘mad’ at an entire university). I’ve got nothing against anyone else here unless they just do something really hateful. I don’t mind people taking a poke at me as I’m an easy target and I don’t mind at all. Better me than someone whose feelings might be hurt.

Anyway…I’m back on the flight line q m so…night to all.

• God Bless Our Vets #56

Monday, May 27, 2013 - 11:51 AM EST

Thank you for your sacrifice.

• Geoff #57

Monday, May 27, 2013 - 12:09 PM EST

Ditto. Punjab, Chet, Tsao, HC, and all others who served – thank you!

Hope everyone enjoys some time with the family today.

• Punjab #58

Monday, May 27, 2013 - 7:22 PM EST

Storms rolled in so my BBQ is on hold. In the meantime, Geoff, I didn’t say anything about Maryland. Aside from the fact it’s not an obvious pick for the B1G, geographically speaking, it’s much less a head-scratcher to me than Rutgers. Even though it’s not exactly a perennial football powerhouse, Maryland is a fine addition. And yes, both schools may serve to better open up recruiting avenues in some of east coast hotbeds. But Rutgers has an awful lot of problems from the top down in their athletic department. In time in may turn out to be a valuable member of the conference, but for now it just seems like it was plan G when no better options were available.

As far as the overseas thing, I get that there can be significant drawbacks. I’ve lived it. It’s probably not a very attractive alternative to the NCAA for most of the one-and-done kids. Even going to a place like Lexington or Lawrence is enough of a culture shock for some of the inner city recruits. (On a side note, I was in a Lexington restaurant a few years back. I asked the waitress what the happy hour specials were, and I had to ask her to repeat twice. For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what a “bayess” was. Turns out she was saying Bass, as in Bass Ale. It seems you don’t always have to travel far to run into language barriers.) But it surprises me that there aren’t more lottery-type talents with destitute backgrounds willing to take that six-figure-plus salary overseas if it means moving themselves and/or their families out of poverty (or just being able to buy that Gucci watch, or drive a Benz, or make it rain at the club, or whatever less noble motives they may have..) a year earlier. Ben McClemore’s story would’ve been a perfect example, except he was redshirted his first year so he doesn’t really qualify as a one-and-done.

Call me jaded or cynical, but I find it suprising that for those who don’t value education or school loyalty, it doesn’t seem to be all about the money, either. What are they really playing for, then?Sportscenter highlights?

Who wins Saturday's Crossroads Classic game?

IU vs Louisville Men\'s Jimmy V Classic

Men's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_blackmon1.jpg]4970James Blackmon, Jr.
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard James Blackmon Jr. (1)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_zeisloft1.jpg]3830Nick Zeisloft
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nick Zeisloft (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hoetzel1.jpg]3480Max Hoetzel
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Max Hoetzel (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_johnson1.jpg]3070Robert Johnson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Robert Johnson (4)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_williams1.jpg]2790Troy Williams
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Troy Williams (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_burton1.jpg]2750Ryan Burton
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Ryan Burton (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_yogi1.jpg]2470Yogi Ferrell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Yogi Ferrell (11)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_perea1.jpg]2730Hanner Mosquera-Perea
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_robinson1.jpg]2280Stanford Robinson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Stanford Robinson (22)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_ritchie1.jpg]2250Nate Ritchie
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Nate Ritchie (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_holt1.jpg]2710Emmitt Holt
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Emmitt Holt (25)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hartman1.jpg]2840Collin Hartman
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Collin Hartman (30)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_priller1.jpg]3150Tim Priller
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Tim Priller (35)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_april1.jpg]3200Jeremiah April
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jeremiah April (44)

Women's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_walter1.jpg]3440Jess Walter
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Jess Walter (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_buss1.jpg]8310Tyra Buss
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Tyra Buss (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_brooks1.jpg]4670Larryn Brooks
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Larryn Brooks (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_agler1.jpg]3840Taylor Agler
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Taylor Agler (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_bell2.jpg]2970Nicole Bell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nicole Bell (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_stratman1.jpg]2890Liz Stratman
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hulls1.jpg]3000Kaila Hulls
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard/forward Kaila Hulls (15)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mcbride1.jpg]2530Karlee McBride
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Karlee McBride (21)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_gassion1.jpg]2380Alexis Gassion
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Alexis Gassion (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_muensterman1.jpg]2560Maura Meunsterman
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Maura Muensterman (31)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mize1.jpg]2520Andrea Mize
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Andrea Mize (32)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_cahill1.jpg]2680Amanda Cahill
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Amanda Cahill (33)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_jakubicek1.jpg]2750Claire Jakubicek
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Claire Jakubicek (34)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_leikem1.jpg]2630Lyndsay Leikem
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Lyndsay Leikem (40)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_anderson1.jpg]2430Jenn Anderson
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jenn Anderson (43)
  • Podunker:

Ben, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. But I want to ma [...]

• Ben_M:

Wilson doesn't seem to be giving up. He has to be immensely frustrated [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

There are 10 DT, 8 Bandits, 14 OL and 2 C on the roster now with each [...]

• Ben_M:

Interesting Matt Carlino and Luke Fischer ended up on the same team. I [...]

• Podunker:

Another good recruiting class for Wilson is shaping up. But I agree w [...]

• Ben_M:

IU women's hoops is on the rise. Hopefully this new coach is settling [...]

• iu79: