Day 1 at Adidas: On Goodluck Okonoboh, Jalen Coleman, Hyron Edwards and Stephen Zimmerman

54 comments by   |   Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 6:52 pm EDT

INDIANAPOLIS — Vin Pastore, the coach of the summer travel squad Mass Rivals, could come up with only one plausible response when asked what makes center Goodluck Okonoboh as good as he is.

“God,” Pastore said Thursday morning after the Indiana target had scored 16 points in a win over Indiana Elite at the Adidas Invitational at North Central High School. “He’s 6-foot-10 with a 7-3 ½ wingspan and impeccable timing and an instinct to go get balls. Those are gifts from God. He’s hard-nosed, tough kid who wants to win. He won that game today. He’s got a lot of gifts from God.”

Divine providence is as good an explanation as any for Okonoboh’s natural talent, especially considering how fortunate he is not only to be in this position but for his father to be in position to see it.

Okonoboh’s parents Sylvester and Justine both emigrated to the United States from Nigeria about 20 years ago before their son was born. Sylvester now works in a home for mentally challenged people and Justine is a nurse, but when they first emigrated, Sylvester was working at a cab driver in Boston trying to make ends meet. In September of 1994 in the Roxbury section of town, he was shot in the chest over a dispute over a fare.

“He got shot by a .22 caliber gun,” said Okonoboh, who plays his school ball at Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts. “It went in his chest, it went all through his body, pierced a little bit of his heart. … He wasn’t supposed to live, but he did live the next week I was born. So he named me Goodluck because he felt lucky to become a father.”

Now Sylvester is a father to a major conference recruit. The 6-10, 220-pound Okonoboh is the No. 32 player in the Class of 2014 according to Rivals.com and has 14 known major conference scholarship offers. Along with Indiana, Connecticut, Gonzaga, Marquette, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Tennessee are known to have offered. Duke, Kentucky and Louisville are also apparently starting to show interest and were at his game on Thursday morning. Okonoboh said Indiana has recruited him hard and made it very clear they want him and they have the advantage of having his former Mass Rivals teammate Noah Vonleh on the squad. However, Okonoboh is also best friends with former high school teammate Nerlens Noel, who starred at Kentucky this season before entering the NBA Draft

The amount of attention coming his way is something Okonoboh’s family doesn’t entirely grasp yet. Sylvester gets it on some level as a former soccer and track athlete in Nigeria. Justine not so much.

“My dad knows a lot about that stuff,” Okonoboh said. “He knows I work hard, so he knows everything that will come. My mom, the funny thing is, if she was here right now and watching you guys interview me, she would be so surprised, like, ‘What? What’s going on?’ She’s always working, so I don’t really have her come to my games. She never really watched me playing in the games. When I get to college and she starts coming to my games, she’s going to be like, ‘Whoah.’”

College coaches will start to look at him the same way if he develops a consistent offensive game. Like Noel, he’s made his name primarily as a shot blocker and drawn recruiting attention based on the potential coaches equate with his sort of length and athleticism. He has made substantial progress in a year, though, as his 16-point performance suggest. He was mostly scoring on ally-oops and stickbacks, but he also showed budding post game and is finding some consistency with a short range jumper.

“He’s facing up now at the basket,” Pastore said. “He’s got a foul-line jump shot that actually looks good coming off his hand. He’s gotta keep doing that. That’s his goal. He loves playing defense and he’s the best in the country at it, but he loves to score the basketball. … He didn’t have any of it last year. That was the knock on him that he didn’t have any offense. This year’s been the first year, I think it’s one of the big reason’s he’s playing for me. I allowed him to go shoot the basketball and create. Last summer was the first time he’s ever tried to create any offense. He’s in the infant stage of that.”

Attention spreading out for Coleman, Edwards

Indiana Elite 2015 point guards Jalen Coleman and Hyron Edwards started receiving recruiting attention from major conference schools immediately after their freshman seasons at Cathedral and East Chicago respectively, with Indiana and Purdue offering both before last summer began.

For both, however, most of the attention came solely from the Midwest. Illinois was Edwards’ only other offer beyond the in-state schools. Coleman had six, but the others were Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Providence.

Heading into their junior years, though, their recruitments have gone more national. Coleman said he recently picked up scholarship offers from Arizona and Memphis. Edwards said he doesn’t have any more offers yet, but that DePaul, Florida, Miami (Fla.), Stanford and Vanderbilt have started expressing interest.

“It’s pretty great that they’re looking at me, “ Edwards said. “They see potential in me, I guess. That’s just great to get looks, it’s a blessing to me.”

Both are still hearing from Indiana, though, and Coleman — who is transferring to La Lumiere this year — said he recently took an unofficial visit and played with the incoming freshmen and players in an open gym.

“I had a good feel mentally and how they focused and just the competition that you’re going to play with coming into college,” Coleman said. “That showed me that’s what you’re going to be going into.”

Hoosiers in on top 2015 big man

Indiana is in contact with the top-rated big man in the 2015 class, but unlike many other national powers, they haven’t offered him a scholarship yet.

Stephen Zimmerman, a 7-foot, 215-pounder from Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas, is rated No. 2 overall in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com and No. 1 overall by Scout.com. He has 20 scholarship offers, with Arizona, Connecticut, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State and UCLA among those who have taken the plunge.

Indiana hasn’t yet, but he has been willing to listen to their overtures.

“Obviously, it’s a great school, especially for big men,” he said. “I’m always looking for a school that likes to develop big men.”

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Hoetzel, Johnson take shot at Derby Festival Classic
Arizona center commits to Indiana
Etherington posts that he will transfer to Butler
Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, July 12, 2013 - 4:32 AM EDT

Seems like a very mature and well-spoken young man.

Punjab
Friday, July 12, 2013 - 11:28 PM EDT

Just a guess, but I imagine our odds of landing Goodluck increase dramatically if Vonleh stays an extra year or two. Imagine that rotation of front-liners: Goodluck, NV, Fischer, and what is likely to be a vastly improved HMP? With the guards we’re likely to have? Nasty. Clearly at this point it’s about as futile as imagining what might have been had Cody and Vic stayed one more year. But it sure is tantalizing to think about.

On that note, fantasy football is about to rev up. Every year I say I’m going to limit myself to one or two leagues, and every year I end up in at least four. For those of you not still rolling your eyes, I’d love to start up a Scoop league for anyone interested– if one doesn’t already exist, of course. Any takers?

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 1:17 AM EDT

Punjab, something…I don’t know what, but something just tells me that Fischer is going to be a really, really ‘huge’ add. Perhaps, in some areas more useful than even Cody (more of a back against the bucket, inside player and a dominant rebounder.

Punjab
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 1:50 AM EDT

Agreed, Tsau. I get the feeling he’ll be a good player for us the first couple of years, then explode his Junior or senior year. Think Mason Plumlee. Don’t know why, but you just feel that his greatness will sneak up on people down the road. Exciting stuff.

Not Geoff
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 8:17 AM EDT

I think Jurkin will explode. You can’t teach height, and can tell the young man is about to break out.

Hoosier Clarion
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 9:04 AM EDT

I too share expectations that PJ will make things happen. But I also hold in equal amounts trepidations about past and future playing time because of his lower legs. For 2 seasons he has experienced injuries(the same reoccurring IIRC) keeping him from developing skills and consistent momentum. The IU med staff is top notch and could very well have this fixed.

#7 Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 10:40 AM EDT

Not me, Clarion… My imposter. I actually think PJ will transfer after this year, but who knows…

Punjab, I am most definitely up for it… Are you going to be Commish? It’s all I can do to be commissioner of 1 league, so as long as I don’t have to run it I’m in.

Chet
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 10:56 AM EDT

I think the academic personnel the athletic department has assembled has played, and will continue to play, a big role on second generation Americans like Okonoboh. His Mom may not understand about basketball recruiting but I’ll bet she knows all about graduating and earning masters’ degrees while on scholarship.

He seems like a nice, hard working kid from a nice, hard working family. Comparing what our players have achieved in the classroom with the results from schools competing for his talents should give us a nice lead over several of the most likely contenders.

For many kids there is just the vision of the NBA and dollar signs. For these second generation Americans their parents are more likely counting on the education. They won’t be attending Louisville or Kentucky for that purpose but they will look favorably on a school where seemingly everyone gets their masters’ if they play for four years.

Punjab
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 11:09 AM EDT

I could do it if need be, Geoff. I run a keeper league as well, but if we have enough interest on here I’ll start it up. It would probably be a standard Yahoo league since that’s what I’m most familiar with. Nothing fancy, and of course no money involved– just bragging rights. (I can only imagine what kind of hot water Dustin and Jeremy get into if we start advertising a pay league under the Scoop’s name without actually paying the Scoop. Even still, I want to be sure this isn’t violating any policies on here since we’d have no official affiliation.)

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 1:27 PM EDT

Punjab, Not Geoff- I completely agree. I’ll go further than ‘you can’t teach tall; you can’t teach toughness…and he’s shown he has a lot of that. I agree about his ‘breakout to geatness’, but I think he’ll show big hints of it almost from the beginning…perhaps more so than some of the more hyped players coming in.

What is important as well, as Podunker pointed out in his very good post; is that we not get carried away by hype and allow this group to grow. The other point made in that post, I hope CTC picks up on is to make the managing of expectation a part of his own responsibilities.

There’s something so attractive in a humble approach, and it pays off in the end…particularly for the coaches. What we have now is some intriguing returning players (we can go either way with these guys and some potentially good material. The good thing is that come October, they are undefeated.

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 1:57 PM EDT

I have what I think is a good idea for next summer coverage during late June and July(after the baseball, track team, other spring sports are done).

Since some of us feel football is neglected, particularly in the lead-up to recruiting; and considering that Coach Wilson has several sessions of camps where he and his staff are able to evaluate up and coming h.s. players, how about visiting these and giving us, the readers and blog participants an idea of players worth watching in their senior year, the types of skills that make a football player…yara, yara.

The, we could all feel some deeper vesting in Hoosier football and feel equal interest as to coverage interest. You could still attend basketball camps and tournaments, and even continue coverage of the Bar Mitzvah and Communions of 13 y.o. 7th and 8th grade basketball players; while also creating the conditions for more invested readers.

coachv
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 2:23 PM EDT

Yeah Geoff, you said the same thing about Ethringron. Your full of crap.

#13 Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 3:42 PM EDT

You’re right coachv… I am probably full of crap. I know Harvard said AE would be gone as soon as Cody was, but I think my choices were Remy and Creek, in that order.

However, with Jurkin I also said, “but who knows”, so I wouldn’t say I’m way out on a crap limb.

#14 Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 3:53 PM EDT

Tsao,
Just so you know, I do hear you and I have actually been to at least a day of camp each of the past two years. They usually run in mid-June, so this year that very much got overshadowed because of the College World Series run. If I’m not mistaken, the camps this year were the week IU went to Omaha, and I was pretty much locked in on that completely.
One issue I’m trying to figure out is exactly how the camps should be covered because 1) by NCAA rule, they can not make players available to talk to the media during these camps or it’s a violation for the school and 2) there isn’t any competition at camp that is in and of itself newsworthy. The players might be wearing helmets, but they’re usually not wearing pads, so there isn’t a whole heck of a lot you can glean from just watching it. It’s not like an AAU tournament when they’re actually playing games. A year ago, I managed to swing an interview with Wilson after the camps and did sort of a general overview story on his recruiting philosophies and what camps play into that. This year, I wasn’t around enough to put something like that together, because the baseball run took priority. The idea of covering these camps in general is simply a new thing because Bill Lynch never allowed access. (It’s sort of odd, Lynch gave us way more access to practice than Wilson but Wilson has made things like camps and pro day open but mostly closed practice). I’m still trying to put together exactly how they should be covered and we will likely do more with them next year if there isn’t another baseball run.

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 4:30 PM EDT

Dustin, I understand the baseball issue. I do think someone in the sports desk can cover it since it is some 15 blocks away. They are also good prep for the high school beat guys and interns…but I have no doubt there are good stories there.

One way is to simply describe what coaches do with the campers individually. In the few interviews I’ve seen with high school kids who attended they seem to have a lot to say about their learning curve with top-pf-the-line professional college coaches and the impact it has on them. It doesn’t have to be an interview, nor terribly unusual stories. We readers who follow these pages would likely enjoy the more mundane but fundamental teaching involved and observation of the coaches observing prospects. Another, what drills, do they use different drills by position, do they address the mental side of football, what do they do to test strength, what kind of strength, speed, quickness, agility drills…surely they look for these things. What about the different position coaches. I’m absolutely intrigued with the defensive end coach, yet know next to nothing about him? I would think even watching lunches is interesting; or simply following CKW and reading about his focus and whatever else he verbalizes.

Even your own observations and judgment. Or, discussions between you and Andy on these issues…that would be fascinating since he has a very keen and deep football mind.

There’s lots. And interest in football, rising demands and expectations from IU fans, the shift to the tougher of the two divisions. Searching around I have found absolutely fascinating stuff about Wilson as a very innovative, creator type of a whole new way of looking at football. And, following him, I’ve found fascinating looks about those he reads and follows and it points to a whole new way of looking at Indiana football, the B1C, the future of football.

And, in the end…it comes down to those kids in camp. Wow! Would I love it if someone (and perhaps a couple of other fans) got interested in making it interesting.

#16 Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 4:47 PM EDT

Chet – at the Bar Harbor Camp Ground for a few days RV’ing with the in-laws… Do I remember you saying you’ve been up here? Wish I could send y’all a photo… We had a record-breaking June for rain, 2 weeks ago was 90-95 with crazy humidity, last week was 65-70 with fog and humidity, and somehow we got here for 4 straight days where its supposed to be 80-85, sunny, and dry the entire time.

By the way, while Bar Harbor is nice and all, it’s a total tourist trap. If anyone is planning a trip up here I can give you 10 places just as beautiful, with just as much to do, with better food, for less money…

Harvard for Hillbillies
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 5:15 PM EDT

Geoff-

That’s where you really show you’re immaturity. Coachv goes after your comment on Jurkin and you use it as an opportunity to discredit something you believe I said.

Etherington’s injury would have drastically changed perceptions of cutting him after last season. Crean wouldn’t do that to his flawless image. Very few coaches would be so harsh as to not let a kid get back on the floor post-rehab, prove he can still play the game at some level(even if not at a top Division 1 program), before pushing him off the roster.

Had Etherington not been injured, he’d probably be playing for Ball State or IUPUI.

Does point to the fact how little depth we had last season…Creek was a non-factor. Perea was a non-factor…Jurkin was a non-factor…Elston was a non-factor due to injuries….Howard = non-factor..
Smith = non-factor. There was a huge drop-off in usable talent after you got past the seventh man.

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 5:26 PM EDT

Geoff…what I don’t understand is why you let a wanabee get to you. He’s made it clear his fourth grade YMCA basketball league coaching is his primo ‘crack’. Just don’t even bother with him because all you do is invite him to come here every time he feels inadequate and impotent. You can’t help him.

Beyond that, it serves little purpose to speculate on who’s transferring, who’s staying. We really know very little about the individual performance of the players who were playing behind the first 7-8. At one point I thought the same thing of Etherington, then found he’s really a very smooth, focused player who could be a big surprise, especially since he is a very good and reliable shooter but is very court savvy. Same of a couple of others. Jurkin and Perea were always projects, but both their up-side is beyond our wildest expectation. I recall both Dipo and Sheehey being similar question marks earlier. So far, the talent evaluation by Crean and staff seems to be incredibly sharp and accurate.

I have a good friend here who was a graduate student/trainer at Marquette when TC was still there (by the way, she’s still p.o.’d he left after promising he was staying). She’s remarked that what was most evident and what helped Marquette recover its stature was that he has an incredible eye for recognizing raw-native talent in obscure players and, even if it is not him who does it, someone in the staff knows how to teach and develop it to top playing level. We saw that in Sheehey and Oladipo, we saw that to an extent in Watford (his development is unquestionable even if his motor and consistency give pause). We saw it in Elston (think of the improvement of both Watford and Elston in just their 3-point shooting. Both seemed to be shooting with a much higher curve trajectory 3p. shot than their flat line attempts two years earlier. That’s coaching, it increases the size of the hoop). And, of course, the complete change in Oladipo’s outside shooting (including 3-point), completely changed from two years ago…with the same correction. That’s individual coaching.

So…I’ve seen it happen often enough to believe it is not coincidental. I’ll be curious to seem who emerges this year. What does it mean in terms of record, nothing…I’m not a gipsy, ask me again in February.

But whatever the dialogue, investing in Coachv futures?..save your money.

TsaoTsuG
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 5:56 PM EDT

Geoff, I remember Chet talking about Maine. I believe I also mentioned having spent quite a bit of time in that area, from Bar Harbor, northeast to Corea, at the tip of the next peninsula (east of Ellsworth) you can see from Acadia Natl Park. Really worth an extra drive (about an hour or so) to Corea because it is just a typical fisherman’s town (with a few summer residents) but it is out of the way enough to make it ‘natural’ and non-touristy, although not as dramatic as Bar Harbor. Had a nice place outside Corea, on a hilltop overlooking the bay. A friend (she was a women’s basketball coach and teacher and English teacher from Purdue) and I would pick up the lobster when the fishing fleet came in around 3pm, walk over to the beach down the hill from the house and load the pot with sea water to boil the lobster. My friend passed about 5 years ago, but what great days (wake up in the morning absolutely surrounded by a wall of trees that touched the windows). That water is c-c-cold!

How’s the boy like the fresh air? Now that the wife feels renewed and relieved, got her digging for clam and potatoes yet? In Corea, at the port, there is a general store where the locals keep their own mugs with their names on it. If it still there, one of them is mine (not Tsao). I used to kid the owners that I wanted to buy the store and turn it into a Cuban restaurant.

Lardturds for Largebellies
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 6:46 PM EDT

It’s me, Harvard. Just trying out new names…

Carry on.

Chet
Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 8:48 PM EDT

Yeah, I passed through Bar Harbor. We drove through Acadia NP on our way up to a house we rented just inland from Machias Bay.

Interesting climate. It was in the 90s at the house (maybe 7 miles inland). At the coast it was in the mid 70s. We took a schooner out for a sail. As soon as we hit open water it probably dropped into the 40s (the water temp was 42).

Hard to dress appropriately for that kind of day.

#22 Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 9:38 PM EDT

Tsao… If you forget to merge left before Ellsworth it’s actually easy to accidentally end up in or near Corea… Did it 2 summers ago. Thought to myself, “wow, what a beautiful section of Rte 1, I don’t quite remember this…” Umm, whoops, backtrack an hour and headed home.

Baby has spent a grand total of 4 hours outside of the RV in the last 24 since we got here,,, wifey still very protective… Sun, heat, bugs, strangers, whatever….

I’m actually sitting out y the campfire now enjoying some alone time, and can say haven’t seen a single mosquito. Only been bit nice since I’ve been here,

Harv, I never claimed to be mature, but thank u for pointing out an area of potential improvement.

Chet…. Where men MUST pack like women….

Harvard for Hillbillies
Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 2:09 AM EDT

I was in Damariscotta 2o years ago…I remember a quaint tiny fishing village happily removed from time. Lots of gray weathered clapboard siding serving as the back canvas for a full array of brightly colored gigantic wooden bobbers hanging from porches….Bobbers that had stripes and popping shapes and designs to mark locations of lobster crates far less conspicuous…Likely taken out every week by some old weathered salt of a man with a beard perfectly matching the siding his shanty. I still have a photo of that old fishermen supply house stored in a shoebox somewhere…What a beautiful place to live that small village so hidden from the rest of the coast. After driving through the tiny town, I have a vivid memory of the road twisting around the various water inlets…My eyes get drawn to the top of a hill where the most beautiful old white mansion of a house proudly glows in the bright sun. Big gorgeous windows gracing a simple elegant home. I wondered if it could be the residence of Stephen King. Don’t remember much else of that day, but in my heart I hope there’s always places to go that remains as unspoiled, majestic, mysterious, and romantic as Maine. Maybe someday I’ll find a way back to the white house. Maybe it’s best to just leave it peacefully winding through the pines and coastlines my old memory.

Punjab
Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 2:19 AM EDT

You fellas really make me want to visit Maine. I’ve been around the world and most of the interior of America. But when it comes to corners, I can only claim San Diego and a brief stop in Seattle. (I believe Tampa is the furthest southeast I’ve been.) It’s a bit embarrassing I know so little about the northeast, but it seems majestic.

Jousting for Jujyfruits
Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 2:29 AM EDT

Just trying out new names again…Just me, Harvard.

Carry on.

#26 Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 2:47 AM EDT

Let’s go out with some King…King Harvest, that is.

IUBASEBALL
Monday, July 15, 2013 - 1:10 PM EDT

Punjab, I’m in on the fantasy football. Just let us know if/when you are ready to go.

Mariner Tom
Monday, July 15, 2013 - 2:18 PM EDT

Punjab: I have the same disease; try to limit myself to 1 league then end up in 4. Let me know how things are panning out; if you need an extra guy I’ll join. This year seems like it will be intriguing, with RBs once again rising to their historical fantasy importance.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Monday, July 15, 2013 - 5:08 PM EDT

Thought Geoff might appreciate this clip…Surprised it didn’t make the pages of Scoop(IDS made reference to the heroics in a Summer League play article found in their Sports Section).

IU BEATS SYRACUSE!!

Punjab
Monday, July 15, 2013 - 11:02 PM EDT

Very well, gents. I’ll leave this out there for a little while longer to see if we have any more takers, then create an appropriately sized league later this week. I’m partial to 10-12 member leagues so as the rosters aren’t too thin or too stacked, but we can tailor it accordingly.

Chet
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 4:40 PM EDT

How do you guys find time for stuff like fantasy football? I can’t keep up with my projects and I’m pretty much retired.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 6:00 PM EDT

Establishment elitists with exorbitant amounts of time on their hands. They are likely some sort of American royalty born into privilege. They attend grad schools for more than a decade…They compile multiple degrees while jumping from university to university to fill the years with something they convince themselves as productive. The riches in family must be an endless bounty. One day it will all catch up to a society of those that play away the hours painting flowers and filling the emptiness with fantasy ‘this’ and fantasy ‘that.’

I truly believe the greatest generations are in the rear view mirror. Nobody gets their hands calloused anymore. Neither end of the spectrum has any redeeming value left. Dignity and empathy are absent in a nation divided down the middle..Those trapped in economic collapse confined to the forgotten neighborhoods of cities serving to compartmentalize the America stuck in the hostilities of idle hopelessness contrasted in black and white with those that our the lucky byproducts of wealthy classes born of the banker generations and stock market millionaires that sit and rot in front of laptops and work their keyboards while chained to the arrogance of self-indulgence and presumed superior intellect right down to their soft fingertips all day while spooning down pints of Häagen-Dazs.

Punjab
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 7:21 PM EDT

Chet, the key is to effectively manage your potty time. Once the season gets rolling, you can handle most of your weekly fantasy football needs in one or two solid…uhh… sessions.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 8:39 PM EDT

Harvard,… and you speak for the working man, right?

You’re going to have to reconsider your arguments. Sounds like the ‘salon parlance’ of the leisure classes, as they clapped their hands to have their brandy brought to them by their women uniformed servants as they argued the case for the worker’s revolution. (While praying that the stories that their chickens and farm animals not really be stored in their boudoirs in the rise-up of the proletariat).

You really need to get a new ‘shtik’ friend. You’re beginning to rewrite your own arguments from the back to the front and the front to the back. It now sounds as if you are starting the same argument in the middle and dividing it into two sentences, one forward and one backward; merely exchanging the adjectives while still skipping the prepositions.

I know you can be a lot more interesting than that.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 8:55 PM EDT

Punjab, it is majestic. Just a parts of the Northwest. Try it by train (a sleeper…with little ones it is perfect. Another incredibly beautiful route is the Cardinal, between Indy and Washington D.C. From Cincy east, through West Virginia until the route breaks out into the Virginia hills it is Americana as we never could describe it.

Frm LA to Seattle the Coastliner; and from Chicago-Minneapolis-Portland/Seattle through the northern plains and Big Sky, the Empire State. Luckily, they are timed so that you sleep through the less interesting part and hit the highlights during daylight hours. Cheap too, you don’t have to pay for motels, and meals are included. A family with very young ones can make it in the Roomettes, since li’l ones can squeeze in the bunks with the adult and you can turn it into a parlor during the day.

I’m a huge fan of Amtrak. Just go with time and figure 2-3 hour over runs on each leg. The other benefit, the RR stations are all downtown, no airport-town-airport $100 unplanned costs and baggage is free.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 8:57 PM EDT

BTW, two things…good discounts for military families.

TsaoTsuG
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 9:05 PM EDT

Hey Geoff…just now saw your post from Saturday. Glad you found Corea. If you are still there, or find it again, be sure you go to the dock around 2-3 pm and wait for the fishing fleet.

Glad about the kid…tell your wife you want to teach him to be a man and you want to leave him in the wood and have him find his way back to you. The trick is to make HER independent of the baby sometime before he’s 18.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 9:42 PM EDT

Damn..I use “majestic” in a post and suddenly it’s the ‘Word of the Week.’… Punjab grabs it …And now Tsao just brought it back to give it another massages.

I really should try to do better..I really should be more interesting. LOL.

Nah…I got da goods. It’s highly evident by the manner Post #23 caused some unfamiliar goosebumps that rattled the old fellas into romancing and dancing on merely my poetic verse.

Keep on trying, Tsao. You’re now the extra and all the accolades and slathering of yourself with all that self-anointing praise and worldliness you like to blow up everyone’s a$$ won’t get the lead when Harvard’s in company.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 9:56 PM EDT

Tsao post.

Harvard post.

Any questions?

stationary front
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 11:19 PM EDT

It is clear that Harvard puts “jest” in majestic with absolutely unparalleled elegance. The rest is sheer jealousy from the less skilled this blog’s scoopers (in short: bloopers).

If Crean should take any pride in Will and Yogi’s performance at the WUG (as Podonke was trolling about the other day) it would be yet another story of monumental underachieving. Never in the entire history of the games did the US end lower than 5th. Now, with Crean sending players we came 9th. It’s the gift that keeps giving: after Subway and Dentyne Crean’s most successful commercial is the one about his own brand of shoes.

#41 Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 11:56 PM EDT

Gents, fantasy football has arrived at the Scoop. If I did it right (directions were vague), it’s a restricted league for now, but everybody on here is welcome to join (even Dustin and Jeremy, since clearly they don’t have enough to do aleady…) You should just be able to access the site (hyperlinked above) and request membership. Ten teams for now. If we need to up it, we can. If we only have a few, we’ll open it up to the general public. No worries. Just good, clean, non-elitist fantasy fun. Hope to see you there.

#42 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:10 AM EDT

Beta test failed. Damn iPads. Here’s the link (also linked above): http://y.ahoo.it/61yZzy2m

#43 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 6:12 PM EDT

Ok, I’m REALLY confused…. I followed the link and there was a team created already under my name and yahoo profile… But I didn’t do it. I certainly didn’t name my team what it is currently named… If you follow the link does it automatically create a team for you if you are logged in to yahoo on another screen…

I’m a bit freaked out. Did Harvard hack my account?

#44 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 6:40 PM EDT

Hey lobster breath…

I have no interest in fantasy football. I could just go to a Hoosier game.

Chet
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 8:43 PM EDT

“the key is to effectively manage your potty time…”

The ‘planning and design room’? I don’t think so.

#46 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:04 PM EDT

(Warning: fantasy football post here. If you’re not interested, please don’t waste your time reading further and then complain about it later.) Geoff, I just logged in and saw you on there. When i tested it on my wife’s computer last night, the link took me to a page that asked if I want to join the league (under my wife’s profile.). Same thing should have happened to you. What I’m guessing happened is that you clicked “accept” or whatever and it defaulted to your regular profile. I assume you’ll have to go in and edit your team settings if you want a different name, icon, et cetera for this particular league. Just a guess. If something more mysterious happened, I’ll have to do some more beta testing. Sorry.

#47 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:17 PM EDT

And people are bitching about the need for more stories on Scoop?

We’ll never stop hearing about this fantasy BS. This should be on your own site..Exchange emails and keep it off Scoop. It’s disrespectful and very Yacht Clubish….as if the rest of us aren’t ‘cool’ because we don’t fantasy. Makes me almost miss L*ffy. He would have told you guys where you can stuff this attempt at Scoop classroom segregation.

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 11:50 PM EDT

Harvard, you’ve got no right! I am not going to participate ( but I see it as their right and a good thing for them to set up their own fantasy league.

At the same time, they and others, have at times just suffered through your dozens and dozens of self-obsessed, self-pitying, irrelevant, shrink-subbing about your unhappy relationships, your feelings of abandonment, your relationships with family, obsessions with specific targets, your explosions, insults. Never mind your carrying on a two-person, very personal war with MT and your demeaning of other participants. I’m not the first to tell you we sometimes get tired of it…

It takes an incredible amount of gall for you to write what you just did.

If (the fantasy league)it gets out of hand, we can raise it at that point. But, until then you don’t have the right to decide who can raise what here. What is really bothering you is that it is not about you and it won’t be centered on you.

You don’t speak for me (and I imagine about 40-50 others). If they want to use their linkage here to create another affinity group, glad for their interest.

Carry on gentlemen. Glad you can share the experience.

#49 Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 12:43 AM EDT

(WARNING! Don’t complain: fantasy football post here. If you’re not interested, please don’t waste your time reading further and then complain about it later. If you read to the part where this disclaimer previously stated “don’t waste your time reading further” and stopped there, you might have a legitimate gripe about which to complain– you wouldn’t have known at that point you’re not supposed to complain. But if you’re still reading this disclaimer and wish to complain about it further, we reserve the right to laugh and mercilessly ridicule you in public.) Last post about this topic. I have no desire to hijack our blog and inundate readers with something most have no interest in. I’ve already spent too much space as it is. That being said, the yacht club is welcoming new members, cool or not. If you can follow the suggested directions I disguised as a message to Geoff, you’re a better man than I.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 4:49 AM EDT

All those not playing fantasy football please leave the classroom for a few minutes….Teacher Punjab must speak in private to the select group of club members.

I would bite this in the butt, Dustin. Very disrespectful to your blog. Very disrespectful to a site that is intended to be for the Indiana Hoosiers.

I think Mariner Tom is behind this. He would never shut up about fantasy football during the Basketblog days over at IDS. Nobody gave a crap about it then. I guess there was a more sophisticated family of bloggers in the heyday of Basketblog at IDS…Back when Ginger and Dollinger and Engel were writing for the paper. The Establishment groupies have taken over your Scoop.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 5:01 AM EDT

It will begin with all the manipulations its supposed innocence…Soon they’ll be taking secrets bets and making fun of bloggers not participating in the gambling ring.
A seedy element of wannabe jocks that couldn’t throw a football 10 yards, a frat rat society of soft spoiled privileged time wasters, will steal the uniqueness this humble place where Hoosier fans once appeared different than your typical TMZ reader. Sad…Very sad day for Scoop.

#52 Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 6:58 AM EDT

Per usual, you’re making a lot of very weird assumptions Harvard. However, I love the “Yacht Club” line… I will make sure to let my wife know that she no longer needs to roll her eyes at me, that my inclusion in this annual ritual has actually vastly increased our social standing, and I (and she by association) have become part of the upper crust… We are now Yacht Club members!

Very exciting news.

Mariner/Husky Tom
Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:35 AM EDT

Punjab- I had the same thing happen to me that happened to Geoff, and I deleted my team.

I signed up, and instead of being taken to a “create your team page,” I had a team already that was pre-named something cheesy. I feared that someone on here (Harvard/Lord/Rico) was up to no good.

Maybe yahoo has changed/updated their registration process this year? It’s possible, I guess. The format looks different. At any rate, I’ll wait a week or so to see how this plays out, and give it another shot.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 1:42 PM EDT

Punjab-

I’m sure you know I’m not serious…Have fun with the boys. I can also assure you that my life is not so dismal that I would spend one ounce of a moment attempting to sabotage a fantasy football club you’re attempting to assemble. I’m not a hacker..My understanding of the digital world doesn’t move much beyond blogging. I don’t even partake in Facebook or Twitter…No need. No friends….Just fantasy friends.

Sometimes the fantasy football sounds sorta fun…I think I’ll make it my bigger challenge this year will be simply learn the new faces on a Bears roster. I also have to forgive them for what I thought was very unclassy treatment of Brian Urlacher. Should have given him one more swansong season in a Bears uniform…Such an honest and gritty hard worker…Always engaged..Always receptive to reporters and the media…Intelligent man that embodies what the Bears should pride themselves as representative a sport in dire need of true role models for the game.

Anyway, have a fun fantasy football season.

Comments